• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA Launch Thread - Kickstarting GAF's favorite next-gen console

ouya_gaf_ot_titlei9ssv.png

ouya_combo2z8yf5.png

title_informationsws0x.png

Release (US & International):
June 25, 2013

Price: $ 99 / € 119,99 / £ 99,99

Official Website | Kickstarter
BUY: ouya.tv | Amazon.com | Best Buy | GameStop | Target | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | GAME.co.uk

Specs:
• Includes: 1 OUYA wireless controller/Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic
• CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM
• Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
• Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port
• Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)

Features (from ouya.tv):

EVERY GAME IS FREE TO TRY.
Yes, you heard right. We don’t think you should buy games or in-game items unless you absolutely love them. If you fall head-over-heels for one of them, all you’ll need is a valid credit card, debit card or redeemable code. You’ll never be charged unless you choose to make a purchase.

A LOT OF GAMES. LIKE, A LOT.
Boasting both award-winning developers and up-and-comers, you’ll always be on the cutting edge of game releases, as OUYA delivers every genre you love, from shooters and action adventures to RPGs and puzzles. And since OUYA downloads all its games directly, that means no compact discs cluttering the coffee table. Hope you have some sick days stored up.

EVERY HERO NEEDS A SIDEKICK.
Conquer worlds and high scores with our thoughtfully crafted controller, enhancing every game thanks to its precise, responsive feedback, a touchpad for new dimensions of gameplay and 15 buttons to mash as you please. When you need a multiplayer fix, head online or connect up to four of these bad boys and let the games begin.

MUCH MORE THAN JUST GAMING.
All that 1080p goodness isn’t just for gaming. OUYA brings all your favorite apps to the big screen, streaming shows, movies, and music directly into the living room. We’ve already partnered withTwitch.tv, Crunchyroll, iheartradio, TuneIn, XBMC, Plex and Flixster and are adding more to our list daily.

IT’S WHAT’S INSIDE THAT MATTERS.
We’ve outfitted OUYA with NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of internal storage (expandable via USB). So don’t hold back. Whether you use WiFi or Ethernet, download games or stream your favorite videos or music apps in beautiful 1080p HD. And since OUYA is the first totally open video game console, we welcome you to unscrew it and have a look around.

START CODING. GET FAMOUS.
If you’re the kind of person that has that killer game locked inside you, you can build games for OUYA, too. Our tools are free and come with every OUYA—no more excuses.

title_thestoryu4xjj.png

After the Double Fine success sparked enthusiasm and euphoria amongst small startups and idea factories, a wave of Kickstarter campaigns followed and Kickstarter became widely popular as the place to fund projects of any kind. On July 10, 2012 Julie Uhrman took to Kickstarter to pitch her idea of an Android-based, open game console to the community, which quickly gained momentum and caught interest by gaming and tech journalists around the globe. On August 9, 2012 the campaign ended vastly successful and the OUYA was funded with record-breaking $8,596,474 by 63,416 Backers, exceeding its original funding goal by 900%.

title_thepeoplet7scw.png

title_picturesgosq8.png

ouya_combo1mbxgg.png
ouya_consolevlzim.png

ouya_controller1vvz3p.png
ouya_controller2khx0x.png

ouya_controllerfaceplzrx3w.png

ouya_packaging1keb3x.png
ouya_packaging29flgu.png

title_thegames8ksls.png

The OUYA currently offers 178+ games, amongst which 40 are exclusives.

In the Spotlight:
games_bombsquadzcs1k.png
games_chronobladeqwsl4.png

games_fistcgsyz.png
games_knightmare1xsmu.png

games_polarityjlse0.png
games_towerfallreswb.png

Coming Soon:
games_brokenagecdscc.png
games_fez7ks24.png

games_humanelementrdstn.png
games_soulfjordu0si7.png

title_faqlclsn.png

Q: An Android-based, open game console? What does that even mean?
A: The OUYA is a game console with an unconventional approach. The way this console is designed and developed is open, so every aspect like software, hardware PCB and product design are open to the public. Using a customized fork of the open-source Android OS, known for its use on mobile phones, for this purpose only makes sense.

Q: So I get just another Android-device that is attached to my TV and can play the apps and games from my mobile phone?
A: Even though the OUYA is based on Android it is customized to fit the purpose of running connected to a TV as a game console. The shared foundation makes it likely that mobile phone apps and games will run on OUYA without any additional work, but most applications are heavily relying on touch as their main input – a functionality that OUYA cannot offer or only in limited ways (the OUYA controller has a small touch pad).

Q: But what’s the point? My mobile phone plays apps just fine…
A: The OUYA can offer game experiences that are more aimed towards traditional gaming that is known from other game consoles, therefore apps and games will support the OUYA controller as their main input. OUYA will offer a number of exclusive games and has also support from the most popular media center apps like Twitch.tv, Plex or XBMC. The low price point of $99 makes OUYA to the affordable media center in your living room.

Q: What else?
A: Every OUYA is a development kit by default. Everyone with the knowledge can develop for the console and publish games, just like on the known app stores. The device is hackable and can be accessed without losing warranty.

Q: So where do I download games & apps from?
A: From the console’s own OUYA store.

Q: I heard all the games are free to play. What does that mean?
A: All the games can be downloaded from the OUYA Store without any purchase to be made. All payment that might occur will be conducted with In-App-Purchases (IAP). Developers can limit the access to content or apply time limits to the game and ask you to pay via IAP to unlock the full content. All games must, however, offer a minimum amount of play time to be accepted in the OUYA Store. The OUYA team refers to this payment model by "free-to-try".

Q: Does it have the Google Play Store and will I be able to download games & apps that I already have purchased there?
A: The OUYA does not have access to the Google Play Store. The device is not part of the Android Compatibility Program and thus not supported by Google to use any of their apps officially. However, since the OUYA is open and hackable, it might eventually be possible to run an unofficial version of the Google Play Store eventually.

Q: I heard OUYA will also support emulators. Isn’t that illegal?
A: Yes, the OUYA Store offers a variety of emulators for several devices and retro game consoles. All of these emulators are also available on Google’s Play Store. The emulation of hardware is by default not illegal. Only the emulation of copyrighted software (roms) is prohibited. Roms cannot be downloaded from the OUYA store.

Q: I already own a PS360 (and soon PS4/Xbone) and even the Wii U has better looking games…!?
A: The OUYA is not meant to compete with current or next-gen consoles on a technical level. Even though the Tegra3 GPU/CPU is optimized to provide better graphics than its mobile version, they are still far from the level of other consoles. The proposition of the OUYA is different though. It focuses more on being an affordable and accessible device that everyone can develop for. If you don't feel like any of the above games or some of the gems from the indie/hobby community appeal to you, then the OUYA is simply not for you.

Q: The OUYA controller sucks! Can I use my XYZ controller?
A: Thanks to it's openess (and its USB port), OUYA can support several device if the drivers are somehow made available. There is currently no official support for any other controller, but it has been confirmed that both the DualShock 3 and recently the DualShock 4 are working with OUYA.

----------
Developing....

Nice OT, OP.

Thread title is troll bait but whatever.

The device is selling like hotcakes on the online markets, but the funny thing is that not every backer has received their OUYA yet atm.

Nice OT, OP.

Thread title is troll bait but whatever.

The device is selling like hotcakes on the online markets, but the funny thing is that not every backer has received their OUYA yet atm.

Thanks (it's my first). The title is a bit of a sarcastic reply to the thread from earlier today.

I am amongst one of those backers who hasn't received his console yet.

kairu

I just played a little towerfall, and some emulation. I like the system, and some of the games... but the controller seems laggy, and poorly made... I keep having buttons stick under the plastic, and it feels pretty unresponsive...

I just played a little towerfall, and some emulation. I like the system, and some of the games... but the controller seems laggy, and poorly made... I keep having buttons stick under the plastic, and it feels pretty unresponsive...

Have you tried using a Dual Shock 3?

Timan

Developer
I was interested in this just purely for emulation stuff, nice simple setup. But hearing about the controller issues, eek.

macewank

I like mine so far, but I've really only been using it primarily for Plex which I sideloaded (rumor is there will be an in-store app soon?)

As far as games.. I like the ones I've played so far. Towerfall looks neat, but I don't think I've got enough friends into gaming to be able to make much use of it. Vector is fun, but the framerate blows.

I need to check some more stuff out for sure.

Card Boy

Banned
This is what this should of being.

• CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 4 Quad-Core / Memory: 2GB RAM
  • Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
  • Storage: 16GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: Two USB 3.0 ports, One Micro USB port
  • Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)
I'm not kidding, this thing is like a year and a half behind in mobile tech.

• Storage: 16GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: Two USB 3.0 ports, One Micro USB port

And then it would cost as much as the Nvidia Shield...

Metallix87

Isn't it upgrade-able?

• Price: $199

Seriously. It'd just flop harder with the higher specs as the price would have to be jacked up even more.

I kind of find myself rooting for this thing, but yeah, I dont think it'll be a success.

Which I guess is kinda good that at least I wont have to hear a bunch (more) of crap about how dinky donk mobile games are taking over.

I'm not sure the concept even has business merit, but it would have been more interesting with a heavy financial backer (like Microsoft or Samsung). As it is you're also fighting the "it barely works cause Ouya has no money" problem, besides whether the concept can survive.

Hell, maybe Nintendo should have done this, could it do worse than Wii U? Playing tons of SNES games without legal issues on NintenOuya=win. 99 bucks NintenOuya=win. Tegra 4 NintenOuya=win. But that's a discussion for another thread...

Card Boy

Banned
And then it would cost as much as the Nvidia Shield...

You paying $200* extra for the screen on the Shield. The cost of Tegra 4 compared to 3 isn't as expensive as you think.

By the time Gen 2 OUYA comes out Tegra 5 will be out by this time next year.

*I'm talking out of my ass here.

So, this is upgradeable, correct?

I wonder if Ouya will sell the parts to upgrade it in the future.

Its an interesting system, and I really love the way it looks.. I may pick one up eventually should it show some life.

omg if Fez is coming to Ouya... Finally a good reason to boot it up again.

But seriously, there are some nice games that play well on Ouya. League of Evil and Wizorb being my two favorites. Polarity is a nice game too.

Tiktaalik

I'm really interested in Towerfall as the game looks great, but I'm not sure if I'd buy an Ouya just for that one game.

I hope some major review outlets review that game and some of the other promising launch titles.

BlazinAm

You paying $200* extra for the screen on the Shield. The cost of Tegra 4 compared to 3 isn't as expensive as you think.

By the time Gen 2 OUYA comes out Tegra 5 will be out by this time next year.

*I'm talking out of my ass here.

No your not in terms of cost of materials the battery would be more expensive. And even then the battery and screen are not worth $200 at all.

Fire_Signet

Neo Member
Thumb sticks look smooth--can anyone who has been hands on confirm some grippiness?

There is some decent grip to them - I didn't have any problems with my thumbs slipping out of place when I was playing it last night.

The only issues I have with the controller are the terrible touch pad and the dpad, which is somehow worse than the 360 dpad. : (

syko de4d

what will sell more, Ouya or Shield? I must say Ouya still has more hype than Shield because Shield got nothing beside from some "Wow i can stream PC Games (not many at start) on the thing" People.

CorySchmitz

The controller is truly terrible.

The worst thing about it is how the handles get wider & thicker as they go outwards. (If that makes sense). It is so uncomfortable. The triggers & face buttons are also super cheap feeling. The top part of the sticks aren't grippy enough. Lastly, there's no start/select button(s). I have no idea.

& I have 2 of them :(

what will sell more, Ouya or Shield? I must say Ouya still has more hype than Shield because Shield got nothing beside from some "Wow i can stream PC Games (not many at start) on the thing" People.

On price alone, it has to be the Ouya, right? I mean, I'm expecting Shield to sell upwards of dozens, but there can't really be a market for that device.

Top Bottom