• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch close to overtaking LoL as the most played game in Korean PC cafes

Does Korea even matter now? 15 years ago when esports was nothing maybe, but it's global now.

Also a lot of "casual" gamers I know will play LoL, WoW, Overwatch, D3 etc all at the same time.

Boom boom

SDPTmM4.gif

anothertech

Haha! I've literally been seeing multiple Korean gamers in my late nite play sessions recently. This is why :D Gratz Overwatch!

Dreavus

Wow. I would imagine the game lends itself well to that kind of setting. You don't get locked into a game for more than 10 minutes and FPS games are super fun at LANs.

I've been trapped in bit of a Blizzard vortex lately. Getting back into HotS, getting into Starcraft 2 co-op, Hearthstone here and there, a bunch of Overwatch. Got to silver season portrait in D3.

They've built up a pretty diverse little catalogue.

fader

I dont get it. Why is this game so huge there?

I don't really remember South Korea having a long history of FPS

Onemic

I said before the game officicially launched that it would become a top 5 mainstay on Twitch. This just further proves that Overwatch's current sreaming numbers are no fluke

Moonkid

My dad was telling me how the game was a hit in Korea the other night when he saw me playing, guess this is one part of that.

Zocano

I've been wondering and waiting to see how Riot handles decline or waning interest in their game. I mean I don't think any game can sustain super popularity indefinitely and I've always had the impression that Riot Games is incredibly bloated as far as a studio goes.

PSqueak

Banned
League of Legends to introduce first person mode in 2017.

Riot To anounce LoL spinoff "League of Legends: Defenders of Piltover" where everybody has guns and technological enhancements and it's played as FPS.

Expect Blitzcrank to always be the MVP of any given match.

Apathy

Riot To anounce LoL spinoff "League of Legends: Defenders of Piltover" where everybody has guns and technological enhancements and it's played as FPS.

Expect Blitzcrank to always be the MVP of any given match.

Will they also release a card game that taps into the deep LoL lore?

Xyphie

I dont get it. Why is this game so huge there?

I don't really remember South Korea having a long history of FPS

It's just not the same FPS games as in the West. Sudden Attack (a CS clone essentially) has been hugely popular for years.

Ploid 3.0

Valve got DOTA and now Blizzard has Overwatch. Changing of the guards. I doubt Valve minds that though, DOTA2 is killing with the money, and TF2 is still getting a lot of players, and it's free.

KTO

Wait till Sombra is revealed. Then Overwatch will be back to first place.

I don't know if that will fix it. I'm level 126 and I don't know what % of players that puts me in but the game feels stale af to me and will probably move on when roi drops on the 20th.

Top Bottom