• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 15, 2014

What makes you think the PC and One versions aren't doing well?

I meant it as a hypothetical (wording isn't great. Apologies) I personally thing it's doing well, but with so many suggesting it's not selling well and that's the reason we don't have any numbers from EA/MS, you'd think they would want to advertise the hell out of the 360 version to help boost numbers.

SmokyDave

Hence why the I don’t quite see why ‘the highest selling hardware of 2013’ comes into it.
Because it sold more units of hardware last year than anything else. It has a huge pool of recent buyers to draw upon. It's not surprising that there are no Wii U titles in the charts, because there aren't that many of them out there. 3DS doesn't have that excuse. Plenty of people are buying them, but they're not motivated to buy any software for them afterwards.

That doesn't point to a happy and active userbase to me.

The 3DS software sales are not great at the best of times which we all know but then again Jan and Feb they were up YoY which seems to mean winning.
Selling less at retail than boxed PC games is 'winning'?

Nope.

liger05

Because it sold more units of hardware last year than anything else. It has a huge pool of recent buyers to draw upon. It's not surprising that there are no Wii U titles in the charts, because there aren't that many of them out there. 3DS doesn't have that excuse. Plenty of people are buying them, but they're not motivated to buy any software for them afterwards.

Selling less at retail than boxed PC games is 'winning'?

Nope.

I'm not saying its winning at all. But I know you love that YoY growth.

None of which I am disputing and if Pokemon was sitting at #38 this week it wouldnt really make much difference to the overall picture would it.

SmokyDave

I'm not saying its winning at all. But I know you love that YoY growth.
I'm all about growth. Wink wink.

Winning the digital battle.
Having a store that lets you stream video trailers must help. I'm just saying.
If the Japanese market is anything to go by, only the Vita regularly breaks 10% digital for titles. Most are 5% or below. I would think we're more receptive to digital here in the UK, but I doubt the 3DS is a disproportionate beneficiary.

KSR has great debut? Did the previous KS games bomb or something?

It's not a great debut at all imo. I don't think the market is there for this game, if it wasn't for the fact there were no kinect games i'd have delayed it to Xmas.

I think it's surprising it charted in the top ten. I wasn't even expecting it to chart, or if it did, it would be in the low thirties.

Tenth isn't all that bad.

I don't think it's that big of news that there are no 3DS games in the top 40 considering how many games have been sitting near the cutoff point for sometime that it really was inevitable, so it's not like there has been some huge collapse. Now, if people have been trying to argue the 3DS is doing well in the UK it would be one thing, but the 3DS's mediocre at best software sales have been pretty well documented.

I do wonder though, how many times has their not been a single Nintendo product in the top 40?

liger05

Is there nothing which will make Nintendo try and do something with the 3DS software model.

I don’t see why they can’t get the older titles reduced in price for starters.

For one week. No, not really.

If that changes and becomes a regular occurence then of course.
What do you imagine the sales at the bottom of the top 40 are? Has to be very low, yet no 3DS games. The platform clearly has problems selling software. Even Nintendo's games aren't evergreen anymore, they tended to stay in the charts for years.

They need to drop software prices across the board.

Dragon

Banned
Either Titanfall 360 sold crazy amounts or every other game did really badly. Considering the XBO version pushed only 27% of all Titanfall sales and is the second best selling software entry, I imagine Infamous is in a dire state.

Oh just positively awful state Infamous is in. I talked to it the other day and it was fucking really upset about this whole Titanfall thing. It was like, why the fuck are people buying TItanfall for a wall running mechanic? I can fly mofo!

I'd say having legs means selling well for longer than a few weeks.

Define well. We don't get actual numbers, the difference between 1 and 10 could be 10K for all we know.

SmokyDave

I do wonder though, how many times has their not been a single Nintendo product in the top 40?
I've gone back a year so far and there's always at least a couple, I'm thinking it'll probably be some time pre-DS. I'm at work though, so it's taking a while to trawl through the charts.

Edit: I can't be arsed. GFK only goes back to 2007 and it's going to be further back than that. For the week ending 18th August 2007 (the oldest in the GFK archive), 25 of the top 40 (9 of the top 10) were Nintendo titles. How things have changed.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Define well. We don't get actual numbers, the difference between 1 and 10 could be 10K for all we know.

My definition would be a game that sells well for months but you will have your own. The difference between 1 and 2 this week is 20k.

I've gone back a year so far and there's always at least a couple, I'm thinking it'll probably be some time pre-DS. I'm at work though, so it's taking a while to trawl through the charts.

Is this the first week that his is the case? When did Nintendo fall off in UK? Could be pretty newsworthy.

So who sold better this week? PS4 or Xbone?

Tough one to call, but I think it might be the X1.

PS4 is without doubt still welling very well but the £349 X1 bundle stacks up pretty nicely against the standalone PS4.

Might be a different story if the I:SS was still available.

Salex_

What are you talking about? What is my agenda?
He probably means breaking the barriers of logic for the Xbox One and negativity leaps of faith towards the PS4. Every week there's a bunch of people trying to understand some of the crazy things you say. I don't think you're aware of the things you type.

Tough one to call, but I think it might be the X1.

PS4 is without doubt still welling very well but the £349 X1 bundle stacks up pretty nicely against the standalone PS4.

Might be a different story if the I:SS was still available.

The pricedrop happened Thursday right?

X1 easily. However both console combined seem to have sold a small amount considering its the start of Easter holidays.

I'd expect bigger sales next week, with the X1 gaining a clear edge, especially if Amazon drop the forza bundle again.

SmokyDave

What are they doing with them all?

It's a little known fact that every house in England has a gap in the kitchen wall measuring 3.66 inches by 6.14 inches. In the winter months that useless gap lets in cold air, rain and snow, and in the summer months we have swarms of bees flying through them constantly. Some people tried filling the gap with Casio wristwatches, but they were too small. Others tried filling 'em with Moulinex blenders, but they were too large (even with the attachments removed). Then, Nintendo launched the 3DS XL. Now our kitchens are thoroughly weather-proofed.

That's why they don't bother to include a charger.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's a little known fact that every house in England has a gap in the kitchen wall measuring 3.66 inches by 6.14 inches. In the winter months that useless gap lets in cold air, rain and snow, and in the summer months we have swarms of bees flying through them constantly. Some people tried filling the gap with Casio wristwatches, but they were too small. Others tried filling 'em with Moulinex blenders, but they were too large (even with the attachments removed). Then, Nintendo launched the 3DS XL. Now our kitchens are thoroughly weather-proofed.

/dead

I wish we could have a beer together sometime

The pricedrop happened Thursday right?

X1 easily. However both console combined seem to have sold a small amount considering its the start of Easter holidays.

I'd expect bigger sales next week, with the X1 gaining a clear edge, especially if Amazon drop the forza bundle again.

Yeah, pretty sure it started Thursday with Amazon price matching it a day or so later.

And that's a very good point, I thought we'd see a much bigger Easter holidays boost. Seems Lego Hobbit and Minecraft are the only games to see a boost from the holidays. Next weeks charts will be interesting, especially if Sony manage to restock the I:SS bundle...

Is there any news on when there will be a restock? It usually mentions it on the page,but I can't seem to to find it anywhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HZBST7S/

stryke

Will be interesting to see how long MGS can linger on the individual formats list or any others eventually return. Last week there were 3 (PS4, XBO & PS3). Now we're down to only PS4.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He is right though, ISS bundles sold out very quickly whereas TF bundles are still stacked high in stockrooms everywhere.

The game itself isn't selling all that great in the UK right so, what precisely does that even mean?

Microsoft could have made far more Titanfall bundles than Sony infamous.

Will be interesting to see how long MGS can linger on the individual formats list or any others eventually return. Last week there were 3 (PS4, XBO & PS3). Now we're down to only PS4.

Price drop to £15 will result in a nice bump. Not sure if they'll do it, but it makes the most sense.

Addnan

Yeah, pretty sure it started Thursday with Amazon price matching it a day or so later.

And that's a very good point, I thought we'd see a much bigger Easter holidays boost. Seems Lego Hobbit and Minecraft are the only games to see a boost from the holidays. Next weeks charts will be interesting, especially if Sony manage to restock the I:SS bundle...

Is there any news on when there will be a restock? It usually mentions it on the page,but I can't seem to to find it anywhere.

April 21st http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HZBST7S/

Is this the first week that his is the case? When did Nintendo fall off in UK? Could be pretty newsworthy.

Really it seems that the new generation of consoles just kind of took over especially since the 3DS game positions weren't really that high to begin with. The Wii U was also a gigantic failure right out of the gate in the UK selling less than Vita's opening week.

Mr Moose

Back-ordered. Due in stock April 21 -- order now to reserve yours

How long will £349 X1 bundle continue being available?

Unknown at this point. I think it'll probably run its course by the end of this week though. Supermarkets often run promotions for only about a week...

Back-ordered. Due in stock April 21 -- order now to reserve yours

Thanks. That's later than I expected, thought they might some back in this week. Ah well...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm going to say the same thing I said last week. I don't understand how Titanfall (XBO) is so high after seeing store charts.

None of the biggest retailers have it at the top of their sales charts, yet it stays up there on the Chart Track charts :/

Usually the two are in almost perfect alignment. Without fail....... Something seems off.

The game is basically free with a system.

Vashetti

Banned
Really it seems that the new generation of consoles just kind of took over especially since the 3DS game positions weren't really that high to begin with. The Wii U was also a gigantic failure right out of the gate in the UK selling less than Vita's opening week.

Yeah, it's insane after the domination of Wii and DS in the UK.

Nintendo is pretty much dead in the UK nowadays. What a crazy turnaround.

Slayven

#Dead

/dead

I wish we could have a beer together sometime
Smokey is modern day Benny Hill.

360 dominating this week. XB1 TF holding well, bundles are almost certainly helping. ISS dropped quite a bit. Next week's drop will be even more telling

The Titanfall split is also interesting but not too suprising considering 360's sales are going to be heavily front-loaded

ethomaz

Banned
Titanfall bombed on 360k... ~30k vs ~120k week one comparison... terrible on a 8 million userbase.

The delay didn't help it... the hype died fast and the 360 version seems to be affected by that.

Top Bottom