• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey and his OR on the cover of TIME: Kill me now

b1SIyj1.gif
Everything in this thread is hilarious and amazing, but this one right here has sent me to the great beyond.

ZOONAMI

Man, this is really not good for VR. Shit isn't gonna take off at all until the headset is reduced to the size of glasses at the earliest, probably not until there is a contact lens type of solution or implant.

Man, this is really not good for VR. Shit isn't gonna take off at all until the headset is reduced to the size of glasses at the earliest, probably not until there is a contact lens type of solution or implant.

People will forget about this in a week.

And when he puts on some damn shoes. Socks, at least.

ktroopa

Great cover, will surely get the mems it deserves...
Something a bit loose about this guy also. I remember during E3 Geoff Keighley was interviewinghim and he was going over the OR and proceeded to wear it whilst answering questions from Geoff. Fking lol when Geoff actually stood up and walked to his other side and he had no idea and continued talking. Man Geoff is good!

ZOONAMI

People will forget about this in a week.

The 40+ year olds who read time won't. And what I said imo will be the case regardless of this cover. Sure there will be enthusiasts, but these headsets are not gonna sell like hotcakes. I might eat crow, we'll see.

Nome

The 40+ year olds who read time won't. And what I said imo will be the case regardless of this cover. Sure there will be enthusiasts, but these headsets are not gonna sell like hotcakes. I might eat crow, we'll see.
The "40+ year olds" who read TIME know who Joel Stein is. Joel Stein is TIME's humor columnist, and all of his articles are tongue-in-cheek.

Absolutely awesome thread. Good work, everyone!

I mean it doesn't take a marketing team to figure out he's an overweight 30-something that needs a haircut and is in some kind of weird awkward pose that might make the target audience of Time magazine feel uncomfortable and awkward.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the guy, but his visual situation is exactly what a lot of people think of when they think of videogamers or PC gamers and all that. He's making the perception problem worse, IMO.

With absolutely no respect at all, why do you think that "people" think of overweight folks who can't dress well and need haircuts when they think of gamers? Have you even BEEN to the likes of E3, Gamescom or EGX? Just walking past the line at the KotoR booth at last year's EGX was actually offensive to the nostrils because I swear that not one of those greasy fucks had showered in a month. I'm not stereotyping. That one area was genuinely horrendous to walk past.

I've been to press events where 75% in attendance are meeting developers while wearing raggedy-ass old t-shirts with sweat stains on them.

I've had PR people apologise to me after I've been part of group interviews with relatively big industry names, for putting me in with a group of folks who smell like pure BO or worse. Multiple times.

There will be people in this thread who will crush it at the gym every day and that's great, but you rarely see anybody with any sort of muscle mass or tone at a convention, or in the queue at a hardware launch. It isn't TIME magazine that's going to change people's perceptions of what gamers look like. It's gamers themselves.

Plus it has to be said that the guy is hardly overweight. He doesn't go the gym every day. So what? His hair isn't that bad either. He's just a guy. Maybe you should go and watch Shallow Hal or something.

Bizzquik

Awesome stuff.

I would like the OP to be updated daily to include all the pics and gifs people make for ease of reference.
(open, accessible-by-all wiki ?)

...This thread will live forever.

ZOONAMI

The "40+ year olds" who read TIME know who Joel Stein is. Joel Stein is TIME's humor columnist, and all of his articles are tongue-in-cheek.

It's not about the article, it's the cover. And I don't think the average reader of time is as up to speed on what Joel Stein is all about as you are. I feel like most people don't pay a ton of attention to the author of a magazine article, imo.

Top Bottom