• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey is apparently starting a defense start up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

EX-FACEBOOK MILLIONAIRE PALMER LUCKEY BETS BIG ON TRUMP
An outcast in Silicon Valley, the 24-year-old Oculus founder is taking a page out of Peter Thiel’s playbook.

Just in case anyone was wondering what he is up to... Seems like he's leaning into the political realm. Sigh.
When Palmer Luckey parted ways with Facebook, which bought his virtual-reality start-up, Oculus, in 2014 for $3 billion, it wasn’t clear what the 24-year-old founder might do next. Last fall, Luckey became something of a pariah in Silicon Valley after a Daily Beast investigation revealed that he had donated $10,000 to Nimble America, a political group that made anti-Hillary Clinton memes—an exilable offense in arch-liberal Silicon Valley. He later issued an apology, writing on Facebook, “I am deeply sorry that my actions are negatively impacting the perception of Oculus and its partners,” and spent the following months maintaining a low profile away from the press

Now, Luckey is leaning into the politics that made him a liability at Facebook. According to The New York Times, Luckey is working on a new surveillance start-up that would use a combination of camera and sensor technology to monitor border crossings, similar to some Republican plans for a “virtual” wall between the United States and Mexico. The same technology currently being used by self-driving cars, Luckey believes, could also be deployed at stadiums, to detect drones, and to protect military bases—all at a lower cost than current systems. “We are spending more than ever on defense technology, yet the pace of innovation has been slowing for decades,” Luckey said in a statement to the Times, confirming that he has been working on a defense start-up. “We need a new kind of defense company, one that will save taxpayer dollars while creating superior technology to keep our troops and citizens safer.”

Luckey’s libertarian worldview—and idiosyncratic interests—make for an unusual sort of comeback story. After leaving Oculus, Luckey appeared to grow more comfortable with the politics that had allegedly gotten him pushed out. He contributed $100,000 to Donald Trump’s inauguration and recently held a fundraiser for Ted Cruz. He has also been talking to Trump adviser Peter Thiel, whose investment firm Founders Fund plans to partner with his new venture, and has begun opening up about his views on social media. “Some people want founders to keep their politics private and away from their business, others think they should do everything out in the open in a vocal way,” he said on Reddit last month, responding to a story about Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. “You can‘t make everyone happy.” Luckey has also not been shy about using his fortune—estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars—to assemble his own fleet of military vehicles, including three helicopters. Other assets reportedly include two homes built atop decommissioned missile silos. (Luckey is said to be a doomsday “prepper.”)

While Luckey’s political alignment with Trump has closed some doors in Silicon Valley, it has opened other opportunities in Washington, where most tech leaders remain hesitant to work with the new administration. According to the Times, Luckey met with Trump’s chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, to discuss his sensor technology, and recently had a meeting with Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, whose spokeswoman said he referred Luckey to the Department of Homeland Security.

Fularu

Banned
Far from me the idea of backseat modding but wouldn't that be more of an offtopic thread than a gaming one? I see nothing gaming related here.

Blam

He's already too rich as it stands anyway for someone like him. I'd rather not have him getting government money as well. I doubt this will actually take off and I'd be a little shocked if it does. I don't see it actually working accurately at all, and I'd see that this could be easily manipulated and bypassable. If it's even close to the Oculus Sensors it's gonna be a DOA and I hope it is.

Far from me the idea of backseat modding but wouldn't that be more of an offtopic thread than a gaming one? I see nothing gaming related here.

Only gaming related because its' Palmer Luckey, and he used to be a part of Oculus.

RMI

Banned
Honestly as much of a ass he is, I just wish him luck.

yeah good luck enabling the persecution of people who cross the border to escape the shitty conditions in their home country, I guess.

he's an ass.

low-G

Just imagine how much more money you could embezzle if the wall cost trillions to build, instead of just billions.

Gator86

Honestly as much of a ass/dumbass he is, I wish him luck in whatever he does. Not like he needs it he's already too rich as it stands anyway for someone like him. Either way I doubt this will actually take off and I'd be a little shocked if it does. I don't see this actually working accurately at all, and I'd see that this could be easily manipulated and bypassable.

Only gaming related because its' Palmer Luckey, and he used to be a part of Oculus.

Yeah, good luck making more money he can then use to try and advance an agenda that harms already marginalized groups. Fuck Palmer Luckey.

fester

Banned
Just imagine if he was using all that money make the world a better place rather than actively seek to ruin the lives of others.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The same technology currently being used by self-driving cars, Luckey believes, could also be deployed at stadiums, to detect drones, and to protect military bases—all at a lower cost than current systems. “We are spending more than ever on defense technology, yet the pace of innovation has been slowing for decades,” Luckey said in a statement to the Times, confirming that he has been working on a defense start-up. “We need a new kind of defense company, one that will save taxpayer dollars while creating superior technology to keep our troops and citizens safer.”
Hello to constant police/surveillance big Brother state.

So much for his so-called Libertarianism. Not that Libertarianism isn't stupid to begin with, but this boner for a Big Brother watching over the "safety of citizens" is the opposite of "small government". Dude's just a power-hungry rightwing nutjob. Whodathunkit

tkscz

Just in case anyone was wondering what he is up to

I wasn't actually. In fact, I'd forgotten he even existed and after this, will forget again. No need to keep him on my mind nor care what he does.

Hello to constant police/surveillance big Brother state.

So much for his so-called Libertarianism. Not that Libertarianism isn't stupid to begin with, but this boner for a Big Brother watching over the "safety of citizens" is the opposite of "small government". Dude's just a power-hungry rightwing nutjob. Whodathunkit

This guy is no different than that Milo dude. They don't give a shit about actual politics or social standings, they just want money and attention and will do whatever they have to to get it. I have no doubt that if Hillary was president instead of Trump, he'd be kissing her ass too in order to get some sort of military contract.

AR15mex

This is concerning news for us. Due to the simple fact that is possible that it may actually materializes. "As a Trump Supporter" he may be the first on the line to pitch this "surveillance" system to the government. I mean those donations are not only because he is a "big trump supporter". There is money involved and here is the reason. We as taxpayers may be on the verge of paying for this kind of crap.

legacyzero

Banned
This fucking guy. Let it be a lesson that if you're an actual shitlord, you might just refrain from being obvious about it. Or just not be in the public eye

mario_O

Jesus christ, what the hell is wrong with this guy. Being a billionare in your twenties can fuck your head pretty bad.

yeah good luck enabling the persecution of people who cross the border to escape the shitty conditions in their home country, I guess.

he's an ass.
Yeah let people just cross illegally, it's fine.

I'm all for thinking he's a douche, but illegal immigration should be stopped.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

This country was LITERALLY founded on illegal immigration. How often do you legitimately care about illegal immigration except when it comes to minorities? Hell, our first lady is literally an illegal immigrant.

gafneo

Banned
This country was LITERALLY founded on illegal immigration. How often do you legitimately care about illegal immigration except when it comes to minorities? Hell, our first lady is literally an illegal immigrant.
That was the old days. It worked great. Now let's move on to the 21st century.

tkscz

Jesus christ, what the hell is wrong with this guy. Being a billionare in your twenties can fuck your head pretty bad.

He's a rich asshole engineer who wants to move on to another project and then drop it the moment someone buys it for millions. He'll kiss whoever's ass he has to and step on anyone on his way up.

Liha

Banned
He is going to design body armor based on Quiets "outfit"

He already did that.

6718589a4aef5030940a31d940489216.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That was the old days. It worked great. Now let's move on to the 21st century.
Where the country wouldn't be anywhere near the same,(aka in a good place despite our horrid fucking president doing his best efforts to make life awful for literally everyone), without illegal immigrants?

joecanada

I wasn't actually. In fact, I'd forgotten he even existed and after this, will forget again. No need to keep him on my mind nor care what he does.

This guy is no different than that Milo dude. They don't give a shit about actual politics or social standings, they just want money and attention and will do whatever they have to to get it. I have no doubt that if Hillary was president instead of Trump, he'd be kissing her ass too in order to get some sort of military contract.

or something similar, he would just stay being/with a bunch of loud mouth ignorant dicks who cried about a woman being president and all the things she couldn't do. without actually doing anything to bring positive change whatsoever. basically raising money off hate and ignorance is their con.

mario_O

The US is a country of immigrants. You all come from Europe, South America, Asia, etc. All looking for a better life. And it is one of the basic principles of economic Liberalism. Something that Palmer -ironically- loves. But I get it, it's not realistic to allow everyone in. But the fact that a guy in his twenties is dedicating his career to stop humans from trying to get a better life; trying to escape death and misery --like your grandparents did- is disgusting. Fuck him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom