• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

I just find it wild that public figures supporting Trump seem to get much larger blowback than Trump does for literally being Trump.

Trump's an idiot. Feel better?

Also...I find it wild that someone can think that a racist, egotistical, misogynistic, narcissistic idiot would be a great leader for a country or at least "better than Hillary". I find it hard to blame the idiot. It's generally easier for me to be agog over the people that wholeheartedly support him however.

Also...this isn't a Trump thing. Read the thread.

Also...this isn't a republican thing. Read the thread.

Gxgear

All these type of statements are merely meant to appease the general public who won't take an extra minute to confirm the truth. By the time the secondary backlash comes most would have already lost interest.

Fisty

The entire press community seems to be spreading this bullshit about Palmer funding Trump supporters. Not just the conservative press either, something is off about this whole fucking situation. I've never seen such a disturbing lack of investigation across such a huge swath of the media.

I don't wanna say conspiracy, but Jesus there's just no other real explanation.

Mahonay

Banned
The entire press community seems to be spreading this bullshit about Palmer funding Trump supporters. Not just the conservative press either, something is off about this whole fucking situation. I've never seen such a disturbing lack of investigation across such a huge swath of the media.

For all we know someone is busy working on a larger piece about this whole story. I hope this is it.

wwm0nkey

The dude straight up said he posted on the account and in his apology he said he did give Nimble $10k

Mahonay

Banned
The dude straight up said he posted on the account and in good apology he said he did give Nimble $10k
So, that's good enough? Oculus keeps Luckey employed with zero punishment. You're okay with this? The face of your company publicly peddling hate is acceptable?

wwm0nkey

So, that's good enough? Oculus keeps Luckey employed with zero punishment. You're okay with this? The face of your company publicly peddling hate is acceptable?
What no I'm saying he totally did those things and should be punished.

Oh you saw that before I edited it lol

Siege.exe

Umm I'm pretty sure they were addressing that whole "lack of investigation" conspiracy theory thing in that quote, not saying that it's okay because of the apology.

Mahonay

Banned
Umm I'm pretty sure they were addressing that whole "lack of investigation" conspiracy theory thing in that quote, not saying that it's okay because of the apology.
Yeah I'm an idiot.
tumblr_lz3xw7tOdn1qzt1yyo1_500.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The dude straight up said he posted on the account and in his apology he said he did give Nimble $10k

He actually straight up said he posted using the account to the Daily Beast journalist, then in his "apology" he straight up denied posting using the account.

Then Jason Rubin straight up said he "Takes Palmer at his word" in response to Palmer's "apology".

Fisty

I get that, and that is not false or anything. But the issue isn't that Nimble America is pro-Trump. Actually, that's probably the least of our worries. A very small amount of investigative journalism would show you what Nimble America is REALLY about.

It's kinda like saying Palmer gave the KKK, those popular gun-control opponents, $10k

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
From Jason Rubin's defense of Palmer:

"30 years in the Game business I would not work in a place that I thought condoned or spread hate. Nor would I remain silent if I saw it."

Oculus is condoning hate by allowing Palmer to stay on.

So, I expect any second now we should be hearing Rubin break his silence and resign? I mean, that's what he says he'll do.

Strangely enough, he hasn't tweeted a single thing since posting that... so he's already broken one aspect of his promise by remaining silent while still working at the same place with Palmer who has admitted to giving (at least) $10,000 to an organization formed to spread hate.

Mahonay

Banned

"30 years in the Game business I would not work in a place that I thought condoned or spread hate. Nor would I remain silent if I saw it."

So, I expect any second now we should be hearing Rubin break his silence and resign? I mean, that's what he says he'll do.

Strangely enough, he hasn't tweeted a single thing since posting that... so he's already broken one aspect of his promise by remaining silent while still working at the same place with Palmer.
Rubin definitely did a pretty good job of making himself look real fucking awful in all of this.

JodokusK

I'd refrain from conspiracy theories if I were you. Reality hardly works that way.

The press is slower to report on this. They react to the first facts they know for CERTAIN, then research and report further.

This is what I do. On our site I've reported on the first facts, and soon an article will appear that will fully report on the entire event. Including our opinions on this (hint: we don't agree with racism)

Fisty

I'd refrain from conspiracy theories if I were you. Reality hardly works that way.

The press is slower to report on this. They react to the first facts they know for CERTAIN, then research and report further.

This is what I do. On our site I've reported on the first facts, and soon an article will appear that will fully report on the entire event. Including our opinions on this (hint: we don't agree with racism)

The press seems just fine reporting on the pro-Trump angle. It would be one thing if there weren't any articles out there reporting on this, unfortunately plenty of articles have been released that completely gloss over all the "unfortunate" parts of the story

JodokusK

The press seems just fine reporting on the pro-Trump angle. It would be one thing if there weren't any articles out there reporting on this, unfortunately plenty of articles have been released that completely gloss over all the "unfortunate" parts of the story
I get where they're coming from. My first instinct was to briefly report, basically say that: "DUDE. Look at this shit!"

But I hardly knew what the 'alt-right movement' was (me being from the Netherlands). I knew there was more to this, so I chose to get people's attention, and then follow up on it. Which we will tomorrow probably (I've written the piece, it's getting checked now).

If this gets ignored the following week by big publications, it's not so much a conspiracy, but rather fear. Gaming publications don't like going political, it divides the already niche market.

autoduelist

Literally 5 posts before this one, it was stated for the umpteenth time that this is not about Trump support. I mean what the hell, can you at least bother to read the most recent page before posting?

So, I've been researching this for awhile. I've read quite a bit of this thread, but not all, and several other outside articles on the subject.

For the record, I've despised Trump since the 80s, and didn't like him being a novelty candidate let alone somehow ascending to be -the- candidate.

And I'm legitimately confused. I understand you're saying this isn't 'about Trump support'.

And so I did the research about Nimble America, and I'm absolutely struggling to see how it's a 'white supremacist' hate group.

For example, here's an article about this controversy:
http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/who-is-palmer-luckey-and-what-is-nimble-america.html

This article is clearly Anti-Luckey, anti-Trump, and anti-'right' in general. Yet when they get down to brass tacks, they say:

But the other part of it is that we don’t really know what, if anything, Luckey was trying to accomplish. Other than a billboard in Pittsburgh, it’s not clear what Nimble America has actually produced;"

How can a group that only produced a single billboard in Pittsburgh with a caricature of Clinton and the words 'too big to jail' rise to the level of 'white supremacist' hate group?

This article also writes:
Why is Palmer Luckey back in the news?

Because he now has more money than sense or experience, Luckey threw some of his cash toward a nonprofit called Nimble America — a nonprofit, pro-Trump political organization that, according to its own literature, makes anti-Clinton memes. (To be clear: There is no hard evidence so far that Nimble America has made any memes or funded any trolls, though it exists, has money, and bought a billboard in Pittsburgh.)

So again, how is this organization a 'white supremacist' hate group?

I agree the billboard is in bad taste, but honestly, overall it's quite mild. I've read 5 or so articles on the subject and none can point to anything more than this single billboard.

So I know all of you are saying this is 'more than just being about being anti-Trump', and that it's about his support of this organization.... but this organization just seems to be a stupid, ill conceived pro-Trump anti-Clinton group, not the 'white supremacist' organization being claimed.

I'm guessing I'm missing something, maybe something not in the articles on the subject but discovered on reddit or something. What is it? The Clinton billboard is stupid, but I'm not finding it particularly offensive -- certainly not to the degree people seem riled up about the organization and demanding PL's resignation and implying his support of the group supports an unsafe work environment.

Please fill me in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I've been researching this for awhile. I've read quite a bit of this thread, but not all, and several other outside articles on the subject.

For the record, I've despised Trump since the 80s, and didn't like him being a novelty candidate let alone somehow ascending to be -the- candidate.

And I'm legitimately confused. I understand you're saying this isn't 'about Trump support'.

And so I did the research about Nimble America, and I'm absolutely struggling to see how it's a 'white supremacist' hate group.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/who-is-palmer-luckey-and-what-is-nimble-america.html

This article is clearly Anti-Luckey, anti-Trump, and anti-'right' in general. Yet when they get down to brass tacks, they say:

How can a group that only produced a single billboard in Pittsburgh with a caricature of Clinton and the words 'too big to jail' rise to the level of 'white supremacist' hate group?

I agree the billboard is in bad taste, but honestly, overall it's quite mild. I've read 5 or so articles on the subject and none can point to anything more than this single billboard.

So I know all of you are saying this is 'more than just being about being anti-Trump', and that it's about his support of this organization.... but this organization just seems to be a stupid, ill conceived pro-Trump anti-Clinton group, not the 'white supremacist' organization being claimed.

I'm guessing I'm missing something, maybe something not in the articles on the subject but discovered on reddit or something. What is it? The Clinton billboard is stupid, but I'm not finding it particularly offensive -- certainly not to the degree people seem riled up about the organization and demanding PL's resignation and implying his support of the group supports an unsafe work environment.

Please fill me in.

First off, the "alt-right" movement is a rebranding of the white supremacist movement. It's a slicker, more media "friendly" version created to help recruit a younger audience to the cause.

One of the "partners" in Nimble America was Milo, who is a notorious GamerGater and alt-righter.

Palmer was using the pseudonym "NimbleRichMan" to contact mods and outspoken alt-righters in r/the-trump and 4chan and other racist alt-right groups asking them for money to help them spread their hate messages. He was telling them that he would personally match any contributions made to the organisation.

The only thing they were able to produce was the fat-shaming anti-hilary billboard before this whole thing got exposed.

Who knows what else they were planning to fund and produce, but they were soliciting contributions from the worst racists and bigots on the web.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
First off, the "alt-right" movement is a rebranding of the white supremacist movement. It's a slicker, more media "friendly" version created to help recruit a younger audience to the cause.

One of the "partners" in Nimble America was Milo, who is a notorious GamerGater and alt-righter.

Palmer was using the pseudonym "NimbleRichMan" to contact mods and outspoken alt-righters in r/the-trump and 4chan and other racist alt-right groups asking them for money to help them spread their hate messages. He was telling them that he would personally match any contributions made to the organisation.

The only thing they were able to produce was the fat-shaming anti-hilary billboard before this whole thing got exposed.

Who knows what else they were planning to fund and produce, but they were soliciting contributions from the worst racists and bigots on the web.
Well, the problem this guy brings up is that when you try to go to the source, this Nimble America thing, to find white-supremacist messaging that you hear about, it's just not there upon searching. There's only some 4chan esque shit, which is obviously swimming in gleeful immaturity, but as far as the white supremacy angle, its not readily available to someone searching the products of this collective.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, the problem this guy brings up is that when you try to go to the source, this Nimble America thing, to find white-supremacist messaging that you hear about, it's just not there upon searching. There's only some 4chan esque shit, which is obviously swimming in gleeful immaturity, but as far as the white supremacy angle, its not readily available to someone searching the products of this collective.

That's the problematic thing. Anyone who was around for GamerGate and it's eventual merge with the alt-right knows exactly what these guys are up to. But they couch it in this "who us? we're just like any other superPAC, show us the white nationalism!"

And then when you show massive amounts of bigotry and racism from their message forums, they say "Sure, there are a lot of bad apples in there, and that's where I hang out, and that's who I get all my donations from... but they all have good intentions! And the good intentions of the vile racists' views whose money I take is what Nimble America is going to help communicate!"

Strangely enough, he hasn't tweeted a single thing since posting that... so he's already broken one aspect of his promise by remaining silent while still working at the same place with Palmer who has admitted to giving (at least) $10,000 to an organization formed to spread hate.

Rubin's statement reminds me of Sean Hannity's defense of Roger Ailes:

Hadas I have spoken to many woman who work at Fox that have the most amazing stories of how kind Roger is to them https://t.co/sxKGuLp6lF

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 9, 2016

Brian talk to the hundreds of woman at Fox that I talked to this week both on air and off. They say it all BS https://t.co/L7JECOMMPD

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 9, 2016

When somebody has to resort to "I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist" you know that they are scraping the bottom of the excuse barrel.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Please fill me in.
No.

Read the thread. Nobody is going to spoon-feed information to you.

No.

Read the thread. Nobody is going to spoon-feed information to you.

While I agree with this, since this is the more active thread on the situation, would you or another mod mind editing the OP to reflect that this is regarding Luckey funding a racist, misogynist harassment group rather than his presidential candidate of choice? It seems like ArtHands has no interest in updating it.

spectator

And then when you show massive amounts of bigotry and racism from their message forums, they say "Sure, there are a lot of bad apples in there, and that's where I hang out, and that's who I get all my donations from... but they all have good intentions! And the good intentions of the vile racists' views whose money I take is what Nimble America is going to help communicate!"

So, does this mean that every organization I give money to entirely reflects my personal values? Because I gave them some money?

If I post a racial epithet on Unicef's message board and also write them a check, which they cash, this does not make Unicef a racist organization by proxy.

We have to judge the organization by its own actions, not by the external behaviors and stated opinions of its contributors.

R0ckman

Can't believe I didn't notice this but you are absolutely right. How long has this been going on would you theorize?

Would you say this is where this new wave of younger people feeding on this madness comes from?

Krejlooc

Banned
So, does this mean that every organization I give money to entirely reflects my personal values? Because I gave them some money?

We have to judge the organization by its own actions, not by the external behaviors and stated opinions of its contributors.

In this case, we have the individual saying directly that your proceeds to him directly fund this alt-right organization:

https://archive.is/4OuYq

I have provided your leaders with that information. I am up there. Unfortunately, I have to be careful with any information that could let people figure out my exact identity. Our adversaries have enormous power, and the best way I can continue to fight the good fight is to keep doing well in business and funding good causes with the proceeds.

You can bury your head in the sand to make yourself feel better, and rationalize that "well anything I give money to could be used for evil!" but that does nothing to change the reality that this guy is using the money you're eagerly giving him to fund a hate group.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can't believe I didn't notice this but you are absolutely right. How long has this been going on would you theorize?

Would you say this is where this new wave of younger people feeding on this madness comes from?

It's exactly where it's coming from... the reason they re-branded was to attract disaffected youth on the internet like GamerGate and whatnot.

This is a excellent article describing the re-branding of white supremacy into the alt-right:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/18/11434098/alt-right-explained

And it seems to be extremely effective, and also very "nimble" in being able to easily escape being branded a hate group... as we are seeing with this very Palmer Luckey situation.

I believe he does. I haven't trolled through his twitter to see if there are gamergate likes, but his girlfriend is a gamergater through and through. She went to gamergate meetups.
xbi1xasccsd78arjgqrj.png

I must admit I've never been fully up to speed with the whole GamerGate shit, but why would a woman be an active participant? Isn't a huge part of their mantra to harass women in videogames and prevent any kind of equality?!

I still have some hope that Facebook will step him and remove him before Oculus Connect, because that will be a total clusterfuck of an event if this thing is a hanging thread.

Imagine Palmer Luckey giving a keynote at an event full of game devs and journalists a couple of weeks after getting outed for funding white supremacist shitposters.

Top Bottom