• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

In case legacyzero's keeping up with this thread via an alt (or at you able to read GAF when banned?), or if someone with similar thoughts is reading the thread, I feel like I should address him:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really give a damn if someone discussing these topics is a white man. I don't think it's practical to exclude people based on that. We have no idea what ethnicity or gender a person is when they post in this thread, and they can claim to be whatever they want. No sane person is going to be demanding photos or an ID. What I'm really concerned about is why you hold the positions you do and how well informed you are.

Casual racism and sexism - jokes and such - are the most common medium through which hateful ideas are transferred. If you're going to walk around in a white hood or cap with a skull on it, it's not easy to claim that you're the good guy or the victim, at least now that public perception has so greatly (and rightfully) demonized these things.

Having said that, I'm not going to say you're an alt right monster for liking those kinds of jokes. A certain amount of their appeal, and the reason why people can get away with them, is when the jokes are supposed to be absorbed ironically. Like, the racism itself is so ridiculous that it can be a joke in and of itself. You might even be able to enjoy that in the right circumstance - but you have to be aware of the circumstance.

If you're with close friends or family whose beliefs you're very familiar with, you might be able to make the occasional off-colour joke because you know how it'll be taken. Well, there's always a risk to be honest, but at least it's a controlled risk. If you have an audience of millions, there's no way that's going to happen. So you can stop the jokes, you can make an effort to be smarter about them so you're clearly demonizing the ideas, or you can be irresponsible so that you can keep making the same jokes you did before. Those are your options.

When you're trying to dismiss casual racism and encourage people to be more irresponsible in how they treat less privileged groups, you are trying to defend your ability to perpetuate hatred towards groups. You may not be a "real" racist, but you're still putting the enjoyment of yourself over the well-being of the less privileged. This isn't a moderate stance; it's a conservative one. It's protecting a status quo that exists to unfairly benefit one group at the expense of others.

There's nothing preventing a white person from entering this sort of conversation, but if that's the sort of stance you take and the sort of values you defend, then you should expect to be treated accordingly.

DeFranco is doing a thing now i saw doing 'news' or something? He is not a fucking journalist. It is really pathetic on how these youtubers think there doing a good job but there not..

yep, it's a bunch of idiots who got famous off a video platform fooling themselves that they don't need any experience in journalism or a degree in it to be critical journalists

and when they fall on their faces they never ever apologize or retract things

and god forbid they work in tandem with the "old media", nope they've gotta try and discredit it as often as possible

it's pathetic

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
As more and more time rolls on my un-explained hate for PewDiePie and H3H3 continues to be proven legit. Over and over again.

I don't police a ton of the stuff my daughter watches on youtube. So much of it is actually legit harmless people playing Minecraft or whatever - but i do check. And i do care. And never in a million fucking years would i put up with someone as annoying as this fuck on my tv - especially after learning just how useless their opinions and beliefs actually are.

straight garbage people. I truly hope their lives spiral downwards until the world collectively shits on and forgets them.

The reverse was true when a job attracted more men. Computer programming, for instance, used to be a relatively menial role done by women. But when male programmers began to outnumber female ones, the job began paying more and gained prestige.

There's a confounding factor here. The menial role they talk about was the data entry and creation of punch cards from written code. This part of computer programming became obsolete with the creation of compilers and the requirement that computer programmers needed to be able to use a word processor. As time went on, the idea of a "programmer" expanded to include design and implementation of algorithms. So it's not apples-to-apples in this case.

bengraven

I love how the response is "white people are being attacked for their racial identity so we have it as bad as you let's not talk about it" instead of "oh man being attacked by prejudice really sucks we should help out people that also are feeling the same way".

Yeah, his rape jokes were real adorable since he started out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFbVKL-Meo0

I want to know this time where Pewdiepie was some harmless goof, cause from day one he's been a sketchy dude to me. There was a period where he dropped the rape jokes, retard, and other slurs, got onto the clean streets, until soon he got into politics the last couple of years and then lost it for the last year.

I'm on this tract, but I was also suckered into thinking that it was 'just a persona' and that the guy was actually alright in real life. Turns out he isn't, or he lost sight of what might be rude but funny (to some) and what really isn't. I've never liked his videos myself though, for the same reasons you have.

If he started with his shtick today, Youtube would have likely nuked his account from orbit. He's quickly becoming a dinosaur of a by-gone era. He should have quit when he was ahead, to be honest. If he is smart, he should quit.

CazTGG

So is no one going to bring up the fact that he didn't go to GAF but instead that 64.site instead? If you're going to whine about your ban, at least show the proper website!

Wow hahahaha

And slightly off topic- does every fucking YouTuber do those stupid quick cuts and shit

I can assure you, we do not. I'm not a fan of "the jump", personally.

EDIT: Hi legacyzero, I look forward to your five-hour rant about "standing for real feminism".

wamberz1

Wow hahahaha

And slightly off topic- does every fucking YouTuber do those stupid quick cuts and shit

- Appeals to a generation with an overall shorter attention span by not allowing any dead space

- Edits and cuts means you can make more mistakes instead of doing it all in one go, and also alter the flow of your script in post

I know a lot of people hate it but I can understand why many youtubers do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom