• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

Shaneus

Not directly related to PGR itself, but this is great news for Lucid in their own right:

Lucid Games nominated as one of Britain’s brightest business talents

31st May 2013: Lucid Games of Elevator Studios Liverpool has been invited to join the ACCELERATE 250, a new business community championed by Sir Terry Leahy and Lord Young and made up of the fastest growing companies in the UK.

Established in February 2011 by senior team members from Bizarre Creations, Lucid has set itself out to be a small team with big ideas and the skills to deliver them.
Our performance over the past year has proved we are just that. We’ve successfully won contracts to build dynamic new IP with key industry partners, settled ourselves in to a shiny new office in the heart of Liverpool’s creative quarter and completed a number of technically challenging work-for-hire contracts

The ACCELERATE 250 will be meeting for the first time at ACCELERATE 2013, Britain’s first flagship festival dedicated to high-potential businesses that is set to be held in Liverpool on June 27. The festival aims to raise the profile of the UK’s fastest growing businesses and their impact on the British economy, with the ACCELERATE 250 seen as key to mobilising wider support for entrepreneurs and start-ups.

Shaneus

That they're working on a big budget title with a big publisher. At least that's what I can derive from it. I take it that means they're working on PGR5.
Well it does say "dynamic new IP" which made me think it wasn't PGR but something new..
Yeah, that's what I wasn't sure of, so I thought I'd just let this one go to the keeper and post it for posting's sake without speculating on anything :)

Guys, I think I finally cracked it!

ZdKORlo.png

It seems pretty clear that Lucid is working on some kind of racing game for a while now and with all the ex-Bizarre staff, it would be a real shame if they weren't. However, if you look at their current portfolio, you can see two iOS games and one Vita game. Mobile stuff, basically.

Are they still a big enough studio to handle big AAA console games? Probably not, but that's where Rare might come into play, according to the OP. And it's not unheard of, that Microsoft lets smaller studios work in conjunction with one of their studios on their IPs. Spark Unlimited worked with 343i on Halo: CEA, Playground worked with Turn 10 on Horizon and the latest collaboration was announced today, where the little know developer Vanguard Games is working with 343 industries on Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8.

Now, if you guys are hardcore PGR fans, I bet you can tell me what the last official PGR game was.

RPmpQRm.jpg

Exactly, "Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition", released in 2009 for the Zune HD.

Where I am going with this? There's a recent push from Microsoft to bring some of their bigger franchises to mobile platforms. Halo: Spartan Assault was the beginning and with a great mobile developer like Lucid, a mobile PGR makes perfect sense!

Exactly, "Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition", released in 2009 for the Zune HD.

Where I am going with this? There's a recent push from Microsoft to bring some of their bigger franchises to mobile platforms. Halo: Spartan Assault was the beginning and with a great mobile developer like Lucid, a mobile PGR makes perfect sense!

Good call. Actually it would be great to have a PGR game for Win8/WP8 devices. I believe those devices could handle an intermediate PGR3-PGR4 graphic fidelity. I am not much of a fan of tilting controls, but Asphalt 7 proved that it could be fun.

It would separate the brand from Forza (although a mobile tie-in Forza game would be a good thing too).

For now, I will be all over:
1st) if a new PGR is announced for Xbox One
2nd) if a mobile PGT is announced
3th) if it is a game to Xbox 360 (I do not care much for the platform right now).

Shaneus

I just read on ForzaCentral that BADNED is making his way down to Australia next week.

I'm organising a weeks camping supplies and heading down to Melbourne airport next Monday morning, looking for a guy who looks like he knows something I don't.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think a mobile PGR is out of the question, but it doesn't seem too likely that a literal "PGR5" would be released on mobile, and we've definitely heard rumours of a PGR5 specifically.

Lucid + lots of outsourced content + reused/purchased models from other games + relatively long development cycle with existing codebase which MS may own sounds like it may allow a small studio to produce an AA title of the sort.

Shaneus

Lucid + lots of outsourced content + reused/purchased models from other games + relatively long development cycle with existing codebase which MS may own sounds like it may allow a small studio to produce an AA title of the sort.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I'm also thinking/hoping that they're using the engine that was demoed with the leaked Blur 2 R8/Dubai clip. Couple that with BADNED essentially confirming Dubai as a race locale... PGR5 for 360, one or two new locales and a bunch of cars, probably models created by Turn 10. Doing it this way is far better, because it means they can reuse all the old assets they created, because they're technically owned by MS anyway.

I have another theory as well, that because Lucid isn't owned by MS, Rare has essentially been a proxy for allowing Lucid to hire staff and have MS pay for them. By the books, they work for Rare/MS, but located in Liverpool at the Lucid offices.

Shaneus

Eh, what the hell. I was looking up the dude who did the music for (amongst other things) the Geometry Wars titles (and also did a bunch of freelance audio stuff for Bizarre) and saw this on his LinkedIn:
FPv4Jkg.png

It's been a while since I've bothered looking up any info or put forth any new speculation, so this is my fix, if you will. Carry on.

Fun fact, and something I didn't know:
How long did it take to finish?

Well the core team is just the three of us. Art, code and design. It's been a lot of hard work and long hours, but everyone has poured themselves into it. On the audio side, Chris Chudley - the brother of Martyn Chudley of Bizarre Creations fame, has done an exceptional job on the Music - really first class. My favorite is the jazzy piece in the credits. Super cool revamp of the theme tune - I think I'd buy that on iTunes. And of course the other component of sound effects was done by none other than Tim Wright, AKA CoLD SToRaGe - the guy behind much of the music in the first WipEout. See how the dots connect?
From here, on the iOS game Table Top Racing, which I will now buy if only because the sound design sounds awesome as hell.

Something else in the "interesting but not at all relevant" department, Martyn Chudley holds (along with MS, I assume) a number of patents, all quite interesting:
Racing games and other games having garage, showroom, and test drive features

Racing games and other computer-implemented games having garage, showroom and test drive features are disclosed herein. In one embodiment, a method for implementing a racing game in accordance with one embodiment of the invention includes displaying a plurality of cars in a simulated showroom setting. Game players can roam freely about the showroom in first-person mode and inspect the cars in close detail. If a player desires, he or she can test drive one or more of the cars to assess its performance before competing in a racing event with the car.
What's interesting about the above one, is that there was not that there was an application for it first lodged at the start of 2005 (PGR3?), but there was an additional grand to use it in March 2010... foretelling what would become Autovista mode.

Method and apparatus for handling game data

A recorded race is downloaded from an online gaming service. The recorded race is associated with a game program. The game program is launched on a game console. The recorded race is applied to the game program executing on the game console such that the recorded race controls a first vehicle moving through a course. Control inputs are received from an input device coupled to the game console. The control inputs control a second vehicle moving through the course.
Filed in 2003 mid-2003 and granted Nov. 2004 (PGR3), applied for again in mid-2007 (PGR4).

I wonder if any of those line up with anything that could be coming up... hmmm.

Shaneus

I just had a realisation... I made this post back when Lucid was first formed. What if the initial glue that brought the team together was that they'd start working on PGR5 right away? I mean, since they've formed they didn't seem to have much output... that free Vita photo app thing, the OnLive stuff, Pixel Smash (an Arkanoid clone for iOS) and... other than JJ, that's it. Hard to believe that only those titles would keep an entire studio afloat and busily working for two years.

2.30am Tuesday morning for us Shaneus.
Ugh, FML. Two late nights in a row, considering I'm going out on Sunday for the long weekend. And if I wasn't... Montreal GP :(

Well, I did it for the reveal, no reason I can't do it again. When does that pre-presentation reveal kick off? 2:30, or an hour beforehand?

I now hope if PGR 5 is coming, it's for the 360 given the Xbox One news that broke today...
Which news is that? The underclocked GPU, the lack of consumer rights essentially confirmed for One owners, or something else I missed? :(

FWIW Ever since that reveal, I've been hoping for PGR5 on 360. It astounds me that we haven't heard *anything* about it at all... not even official confirmation that we're actually getting a PGR5.

It'll be six months since that picture was first hosted on Lucid's site... and that's basically it. BADNED has eased my mind a little in that regard, but there's still nothing 100% solid we can say (although I could probably say with 95% certainty that whatever they're working on has Dubai in it :D).

PS. For those of you who think a new PGR title on 360 could be a bad thing, I'm-a post you some reminders about why I have no problem with that at all:

And something for a bit of a laugh ;)
Hi guys. I got us a good reaction gif from Tuesday's presentation:
fm58iuhx.gif

<3

For now, I'm going to play some Blur on 360. Believe it or not, that game has a constant ~9,000 people playing it on XBL.

TJP

Which news is that? The underclocked GPU, the lack of consumer rights essentially confirmed for One owners, or something else I missed? :(
All of the above. Xbox One is a non-starter for me even if PGR and FM live up to the most rabid fanboy expectations. Same for Sony if they pull the same anti-consumer bullshit as the PC has enough driving sims/games to keep me occupied for years. I will cry to myself though....

For now, I'm going to play some Blur on 360. Believe it or not, that game has a constant ~9,000 people playing it on XBL.
And 3 people playing multiplayer on PC 8( I'm not surprised 9,000 still play Blur multiplayer as it's excellent. I retained my Xbox version of Blur. I must fire up the white paperweight and have a a few races online sometime.

Shaneus

And 3 people playing multiplayer on PC 8( I'm not surprised 9,000 still play Blur multiplayer as it's excellent. I retained my Xbox version of Blur. I must fire up the white paperweight and have a a few races online sometime.
Rabid cheating, from what I can gather. The Steam forums (when they still had Blur, at least) were filled with complaints about cheaters. Which is why I was so surprised that the online community is so damn strong with it on console. But you'll need Live though.

Maybe someone has a spare one or three monther hanging around?

RayStorm

If I am oblivious to some stylistic hyperbole I apologize, but I see 470 people playing Blur online on PC.

TJP

If I am oblivious to some stylistic hyperbole I apologize, but I see 470 people playing Blur online on PC.
My statement was poetic licence 8)

As Shaneus stated, the PC version is sadly full of cheaters using trainers and the mulitplayer died off as a result. For the record, last time I played Blur on PC about a month ago there were about 100 people in the online lobbies. I prefer the PC version for the better IQ but the mulitplayer is a ghost town when compared to the console version.

Mascot

My statement was poetic licence 8)

As Shaneus stated, the PC version is sadly full of cheaters using trainers and the mulitplayer died off as a result. For the record, last time I played Blur on PC about a month ago there were about 100 people in the online lobbies. I prefer the PC version for the better IQ but the mulitplayer is a ghost town when compared to the console version.

How is this dealt with in PC racing generally?

pCARS might get me to go the PC route, but hacks, cheaters, modders etc all fill me with dread. How do you ever know the playing field is level?

Shaneus

pCARS might get me to go the PC route, but hacks, cheaters, modders etc all fill me with dread. How do you ever know the playing field is level?
How much support do you think Activision are giving Blur right now? Could almost guarantee you that it'd be patched and it wouldn't be an issue anymore if they were still maintaining the game (other than the servers themselves). Explains there isn't a more even spread amongst PC and 360 players (not sure of PS3).

So there's nothing to worry about with that sort of thing for any of the upcoming games. Plus, the audience for Blur is at least a somewhat different demographic to those who play PC sim games. It's those console simmers you have to watch out for as far as being dicks are concerned ;)

TJP

You still talking yourself out of buying a gaming PC then Mascot 8)

PC simulation racers who take multiplayer seriously are either signed up to iRacing which has a strict penalty system for collisions/moronic behavour or they are part of a sim racing community such as RaceDepartment (there are plenty of others) where one races in organised events/series on password protected servers. At present CARS has a username and password verification check just after you start the launcher and there is nothing stopping SMS from using this system for the multiplayer side of their game.

In summary, public lobby racing is largely the same experience be it on PC or console. From experience, the public lobbies for the heavily pirated Race series are a nightmare however most PC sims are usually pretty good.

Mascot

PC simulation racers who take multiplayer seriously are either signed up to iRacing which has a strict penalty system for collisions/moronic behavour or they are part of a sim racing community such as RaceDepartment (there are plenty of others) where one races in organised events/series on password protected servers. At present CARS has a username and password verification check just after you start the launcher and there is nothing stopping SMS from using this system for the multiplayer side of their game.

In summary, public lobby racing is largely the same experience be it on PC or console. From experience, the public lobbies for the heavily pirated Race series are a nightmare however most PC sims are usually pretty good.

Thanks - good to know!

My next hardware looks like a toss-up between PS4 and gaming PC now, so still exploring the possibilities.

Shaneus

Race series?

TJP

Race series?
SimBin's RACE series multiplayer is overrun by people playing cracked copies and using a heap of hacks to screw up the racing. SimBin blame Steam and the admins of Steam say it's a SimBin issue.

Anyway, this is a PGR thread!

pgr4x3052.jpg

(Image isn't mine)

Mascot

Lol, came here to share the good news about PGR5 being finally confirmed then quickly realised it was a dream I had last night. Shaneus (who looked like Martin Prince, for some reason) was going MENTAL in it.

Take heart, though: last time I had such a vivid dream (about a football match) I placed a £15 bet based on it and won £1500.

DD

Lol, came here to share the good news about PGR5 being finally confirmed then quickly realised it was a dream I had last night. Shaneus (who looked like Martin Prince, for some reason) was going MENTAL in it.

Take heart, though: last time I had such a vivid dream (about a football match) I placed a £15 bet based on it and won £1500.

I dreamed that Microsoft announced PRG2 remake for the Xbox 360 and PGR5 to the Xbone.

I'm serious.

There's a very nice PGR3 restrospective up on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-09-project-gotham-racing-3-retrospective

At the launch of the 360 I bough PGR3, Kameo, and Perfect Dark Zero, but PGR3 was the only game I played. Altough PGR4 is a better game, PGR3 has been the most sim-like game of of all PGRs, with very twitchy cars, and lots of understeer. Also had a better cockpit view than PGR4.
And what happened to the promise of Gotham TV, a feature (watching others play live) that every game was going to have?

Krilekk

Banned
There's a very nice PGR3 restrospective up on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-09-project-gotham-racing-3-retrospective

At the launch of the 360 I bough PGR3, Kameo, and Perfect Dark Zero, but PGR3 was the only game I played. Altough PGR4 is a better game, PGR3 has been the most sim-like game of of all PGRs, with very twitchy cars, and lots of understeer. Also had a better cockpit view than PGR4.
And what happened to the promise of Gotham TV, a feature (watching others play live) that every game was going to have?

One generation too early. It's gonna be in every game soon.

Shaneus

I hope that's a good article, because I just tweeted it to Lucid without even reading it. Let's see if they say/do anything with it (a la retweet, favourite etc.

PS. Why would they have a retrospective on PGR3 now? Do they know something? ;)

Top Bottom