• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer reiterates all Scorpio games "will be playable on Xbox One "

koutoru

Whether or not we get new consoles from each manufacturer every 2 years or not there still has to be a base line for the software support.

I would think that forward compatibility of the base line consoles still has to last about the length of a regular generation. (ex: new base line will be PS5 and Scorpio 2 whenever those releases)

Edit: Oh first page post again, I didn't plan that I swear!

mclem

The question that's always going to worry me until we're a reasonable way into the Scorpio's life is what "playable" actually means, because the literal interpretation is rather different from the colloquial one...

I do wonder quite how these stopgap measures will work when the next-generation (or next stopgap!) comes along; how this sort of idea pans out in the long term. If I were MS, I'd seriously consider going with a strategy of always requiring support for two 'generations' at any given time (so games targetting the Sagittarius, or whatever the next thing is called, would run on Scorpio but not baseline One. But then that could be construed as a breach of this statement.)

xbox one came out in 2013. sure it would mean a short cycle but like at one point 5 year cycles were the norm. i think the ps3 and 360 got people used to 7 year cycles but wasn't that just an outlier?

these "in between" gens do nothing for me. i play mainly on my ps4 and i'm saving for a switch, and considering how underwhelming i found the pro to be, if xbox came out the gate saying "look, its a new gen on more powerful hardware, with exclusive games making the most of it. no compromises. oh and its backwards compatible", suddenly that switch fund becomes scorpio fund, but that's just me i guess. A few people replied maybe in 3-4 years time scorpio will stand on its own but by then i'm assuming an even more powerful ps5 will be in play

I understand you very well man and i would love this as well, but they would also be losing a huge amount of people. Plenty of people wouldn't accept this and that's perfectly understandable too. Maybe if they had decided to offer the Scorpio for a vastly reduced price while trading in their Xbox One it could have been like that.

Don't listen to the speculative trolling. In the white paper it even says scorpio only sku is prohibited.

I don't think it's trolling. Most people I've seen who won't listen to reason have been the people here who are big Xbox fans. It's more like unreasonable hopefulness.

Hoping for this to be a completely new generation is stupid. So what, MS can abandon the millions of people who bought the xbox one like me or the people who only recently bought the one S so they can brag about how their beloved Xbox is leading the new generation in sales? So lame.

jayu26

Not really. I don't see why they couldn't have waited 2 or 3 years and gone all in on PS5.
What makes you think that they still won't? In fact, Sony has been vocal about how they are still doing proper generation and there is going to be clear generation distinction for them. Which is in stark contrast to MS has been saying.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I personally love that I don't feel the need to upgrade right away because I will not be missing any games. Then later in 2018 I can go ahead and move on up and bring my library with me. It just makes sense.

Feorax

What makes you think that they still won't? In fact, Sony has been vocal about how they are still doing proper generation and there is going to be clear generation distinction for them. Which is in stark contrast to MS has been saying.

I'm not saying they won't, all I'm saying is that it still feels like there's enough in the base boxes to last 2 or 3 years before it feels like we're pushing them to their absolute limit.

The good position Sony is in, however, means that if the pro doesn't do huge numbers and just supplements the standard PS4, that's still probably a success for them. As far as MS goes, however, it's more likely that they need Scorpio to make more of an impact. IMO (and it's only my opinion), introducing a Scorpio level machine when MS's first party studios and TP relations are where they are is like trying to run before they can walk.

jayu26

I'm not saying they won't, all I'm saying is that it still feels like there's enough in the base boxes to last 2 or 3 years before it feels like we're pushing them to their absolute limit.

The good position Sony is in, however, means that if the pro doesn't do huge numbers and just supplements the standard PS4, that's still probably a success for them. As far as MS goes, however, it's more likely that they need Scorpio to make more of an impact. IMO (and it's only my opinion), introducing a Scorpio level machine when MS's first party studios and TP relations are where they are is like trying to run before they can walk.
Supplementing base model is the exact job that Pro needs to do. Sony has been very careful to make sure Pro is seen that way. It's extra option for people who want them. There's​ nothing wrong with that. Pro's existence doesn't mean that Sony thinks that base model won't last for 2-3 more years or that PS5 is not coming out in 2-3 years.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So many pretend, it was crystal on day one, they have not deviated even the slightest, yet people pretend not to know or refuse to believe it, why is anyone's guess...

High profile people who should know better like Colin Moriarty are not helping things

I don't think it's trolling. Most people I've seen who won't listen to reason have been the people here who are big Xbox fans. It's more like unreasonable hopefulness.

Hoping for this to be a completely new generation is stupid. So what, MS can abandon the millions of people who bought the xbox one like me or the people who only recently bought the one S so they can brag about how their beloved Xbox is leading the new generation in sales? So lame.

What happened with the Xbox 360 is what they want to avoid. When everyone's 360 broke, people could have just bought a XBO and took their library with them to the new system.

Top Bottom