• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says FFVII Intergrade and FFXVI on Xbox is up to Square Enix

Draugoth

Gold Member
phil-spencer-comenta-sobre-a-possibilidade-de-final-fantasy-vii-remake-e-final-fantasy-xvi-chegarem-no-xbox-095238.jpg

IGN asked Xbox boss Phil Spencer in an interview at gamescom 2023. His answer teased deals are currently being worked on, although Spencer stopped short of announcing Final Fantasy 7 Remake and 16 for Microsoft’s platform.
“I recognise that when people buy an Xbox, they want to make sure the great games that they want to play are coming. If there's any publisher out there where that hasn't been true, Square's one of the top. Sarah Bond [Corporate Vice President, Game Creator Experience and Ecosystem at Microsoft] and I fly to Tokyo and have conversations, and we’ve spent a lot of time with Square. There's obviously business deals and relationships that will have to get worked through on certain games.

“But I'll say it was really great to have the CEO of Square and Yoshi there to just talk about their commitment to Xbox. Because I can say, like, ‘I'm the head of Xbox, blah blah blah,’ but having the CEO of one of the third-parties make a commitment to the platform, I thought was a really meaningful step.

So you'll hear more. I'm not going to push them. They’re going to have to find their own rhythm. But having them make a commitment to Xbox was really important both to me, and I've heard it from the community, to the community as well. And 14 was more of a commitment.

I don't think this is the type of game Sony wants to get into with MS. Look what happened when Sony became interested in purchasing exclusivity for Starfield all those years back.
Japanese devs are way less likely to sell their studios to american owned companies, it's happened for sure, but it's a rarity. The Japanese have a deep sense of national pride ... or so I've heard lol.

I remember when getting FF on Xbox was worth something to MS- together with other JRPGs.

All the money went to Activision and Bethesda I guess.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thought the remake was shit, but it should be on as many platforms as possible. JRPGs are dying, and reducing their audience ain't helping.
I'd say they've had a great renaissance in recent years, it's just that AAA JRPGs are not common anymore and won't be since western gamers are more into western cinematic stuff than polishing their skills in a complex combat system.

Camreezie

Thought the remake was shit, but it should be on as many platforms as possible. JRPGs are dying, and reducing their audience ain't helping.
Lol JRPGs are not dying theyre frequently some of the biggest sellers and biggest released games of the year

Solidus_T

Mr Moose

The headline seems kinda misleading. He was just talking about SQEX games generally. He didnt mention those two. And we dont know if those two are already signed for a prolonged period of time, in which case it wouldnt be up to anyone anymore.
But does that mean that PlayStation exclusives Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the recently released Final Fantasy 16 will end up on Xbox? That’s exactly what IGN asked Xbox boss Phil Spencer in an interview at gamescom 2023. His answer teased deals are currently being worked on, although Spencer stopped short of announcing Final Fantasy 7 Remake and 16 for Microsoft’s platform.
He was asked about Final Fantasy.
11 minutes 18 seconds into the video.

Last edited:

Trekinspace88

Neo Member
I hope if they do get released on Xbox that Xbox owners buy the games and not just play them via gamepass. Again show SE that Xbox owners want their games by buying their games and they will releases more on the console.

Esppiral

When they release on Xbox the next decade the games won't sell, mainly because those interested already played them, and then the mantra of Xbox players don't want Japanese games while be repeated again to death

It's only good for both the franchise, and the consumers, that all FF titles make it to not just Xbox, but to Switch 2 (and Switch, wherever technically possible) as well.

Thought the remake was shit

I love, like and prefer the original more, but the remake is nowhere near "shit". Vanilla XIII is what you would call that. The hyperbole and hot takes on this forum are getting out of hand...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I hope if they do get released on Xbox that Xbox owners buy the games and not just play them via gamepass. Again show SE that Xbox owners want their games by buying their games and they will releases more on the console.

Hahah you think? They want it on GP. They already cry about the smallest games not coming to Gamepass. Sony doesn't really care in general, because they know these titles won't sell on Xbox.

Now they won't hate on FF games when they've heard about that FF14 comes to the console. FF is bad because it's on PS only. I mean a few weeks back they also started this fake "Microsoft might acquire Square Enix" bullshit.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Usually comments like this are kind of an indication there's a deal in place for for it to happen eventually.

Pretty sure that's what they said about ffxiv... and Here we are, it's coming to xbox

Last edited:
Almost definitely is going to happen.

Genuinely expect all pubs except maybe Nexon and tencent to be owned by MS.
Square owns a soaplands in glorious Nippongo. That makes it a important to Japanese culture. That makes a purchase highly improbable as Japanese businessmen rely on square properties to be washed.

Does it even matter? Xbois don’t even play those types of games, SE knows it and lying Phil knows it. He’s just putting on his ”gamer t-shirt” nothing more nothing less.
He probably needs to wash it. It smells like the tears and lies of a Saturday night in the X Dungeon.

Matsuchezz

SE can release their games on Gamepass after a couple of years of release in Playstation Consoles. MS and xbox fans like the waiting game so as long as they are released 2 years down the road I think they will be pleased. If they have been waiting 20+ years what's a couple of years.

Last edited:
I don't think this is the type of game Sony wants to get into with MS. Look what happened when Sony became interested in purchasing exclusivity for Starfield all those years back.
Ah so we're still pushing the made up lie narrative. To also justify MS buying every publisher?

Proven in court that Bethesda were shopping around for exclusive deals, not evil Sony trying to stop Xbox getting a game. If you believed the Xbox fan boys on here, Sony has spent billions stopping every 3rd party coming to Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom