• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: There are Japanese Exclusives in Development for Xbox

RickMasters

I wouldn’t mind if they made a sequel to gun valkiery. That game always had an interesting art style and setting. And a burning rangers remaster and sequel.

And get some of them arcades classics that are always popping up on the switch onto Xbox. Xbox owners still can’t play Darius collection! They need to talk to hamster or M2 and get some of those ports for us 80s and 90s babies on Xbox.

RickMasters

So which Japanese studio are they going to acquire to make this happen?
They don’t have to acquire them. They can just need fund some exclusives. They should talk to sega and maybe reasurect at some long dead Dreamcast Saturn and OF Xbox games. A panzer dragoon rpg aswell as a remaster of panzer dragoon saga. And a full on panzer sequel with free flight instead of in rails shooting. Maybe get sega to make a single player phantasy star RPG. They haven’t done that since the mega drive days.

I think they should work with sega. Maybe even bring a collection of model 1, 2 and 3 arcade games to gamepass. With online multiplayer.

Of course this is just the sega fan in me speaking.

Phil. Phil. Call Tecmo. Give them some money or whatever you do. Get them to make Ninja Gaiden 4. Get Itagaki back out of his spider hole. I know Tecmo fired him. Use more money; just get him and Team Ninja to make NG4.

Do this, and I will stan for and buy Xbox for the rest of my days. Do it you pussy. You won’t though. You can’t do it. You talk a big game but you can’t back it up.

Pop

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

For reasons that it's a Japanese company? Not true. Nothing stopping a foreign company from acquiring SE. Since it's MS we are taking about,I think it would be blocked for different reasons though.
It would require the approval of the Japanese governmental agency which regulates corporate mergers, and they would not approve it.

I do legit wonder how many more acquisitions MS will be able to skate past the UK, EU, and US though. The US FTC and UK CMA both fought the ABK acquisition, they won't be super friendly if MS tries to acquire yet another company anytime soon.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Port the new Time Crisis and Gundam VS games that are trapped Japanese arcades!!!

It would require the approval of the Japanese governmental agency which regulates corporate mergers, and they would not approve it.

I'm curious as to your reasoning as to why they would not approve.

Back in 2020, during the US/China trade war the Japan government tightened their investment laws stating around 500 companies in the "core" fields such as defense, nuclear power, aerospace, utilities, gas, finance and telecommunications would require government approval for investments beyond 10%. Square Enix absolutely does not fall in any of those categories and are thus open to investments and buyouts. Do a little googling and you can find more info. There is also a government published spreadsheet that details all companies that I downloaded a couple of years ago. Cannot find the URL link but here are some images:

j5pRZqK.png
YhMpECA.png

Now like I said before, I still think it would be killed by the Japanese government but for the same reasons as the US, UK, EU and others would block it to prevent a company such as MS(#3) from buying a direct competitor in Nintendo (#1).

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
WELL HANG ON A DARN TOOTING MINUTE!!

I thought only Sony money hats exclusives from Japan?! Wasn't that the argument for ABK?

Yeah, I think it went like this:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the associated competitions, mergers, acquisition and trade boards, as spokesperson for Microsoft, I'd like you to consider our request to proceed with the purchase of Activision Blizzard King on the grounds that we don't money hat Japanese games like Sony do."

"No money hats sent to Japan at all?"

"Not since Blue Dragon or whatever, no"

"Approved"

There will be hell to pay when they find out that the purchase included a Japanese development studio.

Last edited:

Kerotan

WELL HANG ON A DARN TOOTING MINUTE!!

I thought only Sony money hats exclusives from Japan?! Wasn't that the argument for ABK?
MS did it a lot for the 360 and while it boosted sales of Xbox there a little it really damaged some ip's as their fans were on ps3.

If it's true Xbox has Japanese exclusives in development it's just more lambs to the slaughter.

ByWatterson

Part of "Xbox game Studios", are you needing new glasses? 😆

Arrogance is unbecoming of someone who doesn't parse out the words of someone like Phil Spencer. He makes two statements:

1. "Japanese game creators are part of Xbox Game Studios."

Yes they are. Tango Gameworks was part of Bethesda and so is wholly owned by Microsoft. Japanese creators are a part of XGS. Noted.

2. "There are titles that can not be announced yet, but we are developing new games in cooperation with Japanese studios."

This is a completely different statement. The games discussed here are specifically not talked about as being either exclusive OR a part of Xbox Game Studios. Hence the use of the word "cooperation." He's referring here to third party games which, sure, may be exclusive, but he absolutely does not say that. Importantly, this statement is not tethered to the previous one.

Have a nice day, more emojis plox.

Last edited:

mako

Bit of a throwback, but is it worth buying Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata to play on XSX/S? I imagine they'll get delisted eventually.

Bridges

Bit of a throwback, but is it worth buying Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata to play on XSX/S? I imagine they'll get delisted eventually.
Eternal Sonata isn't BC.

I bought it digital for $2 on sale on 360 waiting for it to be BC and that day never came, tragic.

Blue Dragon is fun, I went through it not that long ago and had a good time. It goes on sale often, I recommend it.

LordCBH

Blue Dragon is fun. I like it a lot. Def worth getting.

Eternal Sonata isn’t playable on anything other than 360 unfortunately. If you have a PS3, Namco also rereleased ES there with extra content.

StueyDuck

Phil Spencer throwing money at something to solve a problem? no surely not? not our lord and savior.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Eternal Sonata isn't BC.

I bought it digital for $2 on sale on 360 waiting for it to be BC and that day never came, tragic.

Blue Dragon is fun, I went through it not that long ago and had a good time. It goes on sale often, I recommend it.
Always wanted to try Blue Dragon. Might have to finally give it a go.

yurinka

Minus Mikami.
They also have Mojang without Notch, Playground Games without the Forza Horizon lead team who recently left etc.

I think they figure out how to continue doing stuff, Tango wasn't stellar anyways, and for a while Mikami was retired from development to be an executive.

2. "There are titles that can not be announced yet, but we are developing new games in cooperation with Japanese studios."

This is a completely different statement. The games discussed here are specifically not talked about as being either exclusive OR a part of Xbox Game Studios. Hence the use of the word "cooperation." He's referring here to third party games which, sure, may be exclusive, but he absolutely does not say that. Importantly, this statement is not tethered to the previous one.
Tango can cooperate with other MGS studios, didn't they already cooperate in some way with other Zenimax studios?

Also, we know MS has signed another Japanese game: the Hideo Kojima one.

Last edited:
Platinum, Tri-Ace, KojiPro are available for colabs. Curious to see if they ink a deal with FromSoft to make Sekiro 2 now that they own ABK.

One advantage they've got over Sony/Nintendo is they deal in us dollars which Japanese companies are in desperate need of considering the state of their economy. Climate over there is very similar to 07/08 which was also the last period where MS made a serious investment in JP content.

Pelta88

Phil has been saying this in addition to making numerous trips to Japan since 2014/15. And still the needle hasn't bugged let alone moved.

Top Bottom