• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRTtoZ

Major Nelson said it best. It's exactly like it is today except digital. I think people expecting to play someone else's library at the same time as them are going to be extremely disappointed in the near future.

nbraun80

Major Nelson said it best. It's exactly like it is today except digital. I think people expecting to play someone else's library at the same time as them are going to be extremely disappointed in the near future.

idk from the way major said it, it sounded like its like a real library. If someone checks out a game in the library you can't, but you can play other games in the library that no one else is.

idk from the way major said it, it sounded like its like a real library. If someone checks out a game in the library you can't, but you can play other games in the library that no one else is.

That's what I gathered too. We'll see exactly how they word it officially this week on Majors blog.

Caddle

No one should expect to be able to play one copy of a game on multiple machines at the same time, you can't do it physically so why digital. If they allow for 2 people, thank the gods. Now sharing the library is an awesome idea that I can get behind.

itsgreen

No one should expect to be able to play one copy of a game on multiple machines at the same time, you can't do it physically so why digital. If they allow for 2 people, thank the gods. Now sharing the library is an awesome idea that I can get behind.

Exactly. Also don't leave it up to publishers...

GavinGT

Banned
More like shamily plan, amirite gaiyz?

But seriously, this is such a cool feature. My only problem is I don't have ten friends. And I foresee arms races between friends to keep their respective libraries comparable, for fear of being dropped from the other's share.

More like shamily plan, amirite gaiyz?

But seriously, this is such a cool feature. My only problem is I don't have ten friends. And I foresee arms races between friends to keep their respective libraries comparable, for fear of being dropped from the other's share.

Arms races? I dunno what sorta people you had in mind for your group but for me it's just going to be me and a couple of my close friends. Maybe some not so close too.

Arms races? I dunno what sorta people you had in mind for your group but for me it's just going to be me and a couple of my close friends. Maybe some not so close too.

In those cases digital sharing is the saver route.
Disk dont get damaged or lost in the cloud.
Or against those angry ex girl friends seen enough of those pictures get posted on reddit this gen.

StNd

MS uses 2 different terms in their communications: 'Entire Game Library' and 'Shared Games Library'.

Do we have any confirmation that all games can be shared? Or will the devs have a say in the matter? Still not clear on that one.

Also, what are the downloadspeeds of the Xbox servers? I can download Steamgames at a rate of 12-13 Megabytes/second. Is this the same with MS?

goonergaz

Isn't this essentially just like the current PS3 system...you can have any 2 consoles sharing any games & content at any one time, however with PS3 you can both play online too.

For example, I played online with my son on a digital copy of RDR which was my PS+ title.

All you have to do is have your account details on as many PS3s as you want (ie your whole family) and then whoever wants to play gets the 2 'active' slots.

Walshicus

Isn't this essentially just like the current PS3 system...you can have any 2 consoles sharing any games & content at any one time, however with PS3 you can both play online too.

For example, I played online with my son on a digital copy of RDR which was my PS+ title.

All you have to do is have your account details on as many PS3s as you want (ie your whole family) and then whoever wants to play gets the 2 'active' slots.

Bolded part is fine for family, but not something I'd really want to do outside of that.

entremet

That contradicts the mention that the original owner will always have access, though.

Vestal

Gold Member
Bolded part is fine for family, but not something I'd really want to do outside of that.

Considering the account associated with the Xbox is 1 account to rule them all basically I say @#$@#$@ NO.

Account sharing is not something I am very high on. I personally can't believe Sony actually encourages this in their system. Its horrible, you simply never EVER share your account on anything.

entremet

Considering the account associated with the Xbox is 1 account to rule them all basically I say @#$@#$@ NO.

Account sharing is not something I am very high on. I personally can't believe Sony actually encourages this in their system. Its horrible, you simply never EVER share your account on anything.

Same. I guess some people here are more trusting, but it's not my bag at all.

So basically if me and my friend Timmy both pay 30 bucks for 1 sinle player game, we both get to play it? Hmm..

Yeah if your not online, but kinda the same as it is now with a phycial copy except without the leg work.

But I think as soon as you went online they would be locked out

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So if I get the latest game, does it automatically become shareable with 10 other people, or can the user deem it shareable?

I can't imagine it being a great thing buying a new game, but being unable to access it later in the day, when I want to, because someone on my friend's list is playing it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So if I get the latest game, does it automatically become shareable with 10 other people, or can the user deem it shareable?

I can't imagine it being a great thing buying a new game, but being unable to access it later in the day, when I want to, because someone on my friend's list is playing it.

As said 2 posts above yours, they've said you never get locked out of your own games.

I have a hard tiime believing this isn't something that was implemented or adjusted in response to the backlash. Otherwise why the hell would they not tout what is IMO the BEST feature of thier system? At best they didn't understand the value of it to the consumer, which is just as dumb IMO.

gkryhewy

It's gonna be pretty sweet if I can, say, buy 2 launch titles, and be part of a GAF family to share a few others. This will at least be some compensation for lost resale value, since what I'd probably do otherwise is sell my first two titles to buy a couple of those others.

Alx

I have a hard tiime believing this isn't something that was implemented or adjusted in response to the backlash. Otherwise why the hell would they not tout what is IMO the BEST feature of thier system? At best they didn't understand the value of it to the consumer, which is just as dumb IMO.

They announced it at the exact same time as the DRM and used market control, just before E3. So it was before most of the backlash (that really started after the Sony conference).

So this can be shared and pass region locking restriction across the pond with 10 people?

I very much doubt it. Since everything is digital in the MS system, when you're sharing a game, you're actually sharing a license. And with region locking, you only have a license for a game of your own region, so it shouldn't be valid outside of it.

They announced it at the exact same time as the DRM and used market control, just before E3. So it was before most of the backlash (that really started after the Sony conference).
I just don't understand why they haven't made a bigger deal about it, unless the sharing plan wasn't finalized.

Geniuzz

With the region lock in place, I could easily see this being just a restricted as anything else Xbone is offering. I mean, why would you build in region lock if "family" status let's you bypass this completely? Naah, there's something they have yet to tell us,

Rad-

Region lock for sharing is surely there. Otherwise you could just share Japanese only games to US for example and that just sounds too good.

THE:MILKMAN

Quick question.

I borrow Halo 5 and download it (say 40GB) and then another person wants it. Does the game just get locked from me or do I have to delete and re-download again when the other guy is done?

I assume the former.

szaromir

Banned

I very much doubt it. Since everything is digital in the MS system, when you're sharing a game, you're actually sharing a license. And with region locking, you only have a license for a game of your own region, so it shouldn't be valid outside of it.
I expect Xbone's region locking to work the same way 360's did. I have an American gamertag on my Polish 360 and minus a few IP blocked games everything ss working just fine.

Quick question.

I borrow Halo 5 and download it (say 40GB) and then another person wants it. Does the game just get locked from me or do I have to delete and re-download again when the other guy is done?

I assume the former.
I don't think even MS would be retarded enough to do the latter.

bidguy

Banned
Region lock for sharing is surely there. Otherwise you could just share Japanese only games to US for example and that just sounds too good.

that yusuf guy said you could add someone who is 3000 miles away into your family sharing

beast786

Thanks.

I am keeping an eye on this family plan sharing. If MS deliverers on it , then it would put pressure on Sony to have some type of digital sharing strategy.

Alx

Quick question.

I assume the former.

Yes I don't think you would be asked to delete the game from your hard drive. The console doesn't really care about what is installed or not, but what you're allowed to run or not.
In a previous example, Phil Harrison (I think) explained how you could go to a friend with your disk, install the game on his console and play it with your own account. Then when you're gone, he still has the game on his drive, but cannot play it unless he buys it on his own.
That's not the sharing scenario, but it shows that the system is perfectly fine with leaving installations of different games on different consoles. Actually it could also help selling games : in your case you already have the full Halo 5 on your system, you started playing it and liked it, but if because of the sharing rules or possible restrictions you cannot play it at a given moment, you'd be tempted to buy it for yourself.

derFeef

So back from vacation talking with my colleagues about the reveals they are all pretty much laughing at the Xbox One. I told them about the family plan and now one might buy it because he could play the games I buy ;) Interesting.

THE:MILKMAN

Someone from East Coast sharing a game with someone from Hawaii or Alaska. That's around 5000 miles.

When Mehdi said 3000 miles he was basically saying America/NA IMO. If region locking is on physical discs, I can't see it not applying to digital.

Alx said:
Yes I don't think you would be asked to delete the game from your hard drive. The console doesn't really care about what is installed or not, but what you're allowed to run or not.
In a previous example, Phil Harrison (I think) explained how you could go to a friend with your disk, install the game on his console and play it with your own account. Then when you're gone, he still has the game on his drive, but cannot play it unless he buys it on his own.
That's not the sharing scenario, but it shows that the system is perfectly fine with leaving installations of different games on different consoles. Actually it could also help selling games : in your case you already have the full Halo 5 on your system, you started playing it and liked it, but if because of the sharing rules or possible restrictions you cannot play it at a given moment, you'd be tempted to buy it for yourself.

That makes sense. Though I can imagine the targeted ads/hard sell! /Cynicism

Enordash

So basically if me and my friend Timmy both pay 30 bucks for 1 sinle player game, we both get to play it? Hmm..

From all of the prior discussion, this seems to be the case. From what I can tell, this system gets completely out of control when you try to balance 10 people. If it is true that you and one other person can play a shared game concurrently, the most rewarding decision would be to find only one other person to share games with. You would never have the lock out issue this way. Cutting game cost to $30 (assuming you both want the game) with absolutely no repercussion seems like an amazing deal. If this is the case, gaming on the Xbox One will actually be the cheaper option in the coming gen (assuming you buy more than 3 games in it's life-cycle). Perhaps all of the people griefing MS about Sony's better price tag should take note of this policy.

If there is anything incorrect here, please let me know.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
From all of the prior discussion, this seems to be the case. From what I can tell, this system gets completely out of control when you try to balance 10 people. If it is true that you and one other person can play a shared game concurrently, the most rewarding decision would be to find only one other person to share games with. You would never have the lock out issue this way. Cutting game cost to $30 (assuming you both want the game) with absolutely no repercussion seems like an amazing deal. If this is the case, gaming on the Xbox One will actually be the cheaper option in the coming gen (assuming you buy more than 3 games in it's life-cycle). Perhaps all of the people griefing MS about Sony's better price tag should take note of this policy.

If there is anything incorrect here, please let me know.

this is pretty much what I've been saying as well, someone shot me down saying 'you can do that on ps3 right now!' I don't have a ps3 so no idea.

Enordash

this is pretty much what I've been saying as well, someone shot me down saying 'you can do that on ps3 right now!' I don't have a ps3 so no idea.

I have a PS3 and have no idea, lol. Mine has been gathering dust for a good while now. Finally unpacked it to play The Last of Us.

Dabanton

Wasn't there supposed to be a blog post about this with accurate and more in depth info?

I imagine today is first day back for plenty of MS employees who were at E3 Major Nelson included. I would hope they take their time this week creating clear and understandable info before they even try to post anything.

Phawx

Hey guys,

Could we possibly coordinate some group effort here to tweet @majornelson with an updated list of questions we have on the family share plan?

It's going to suck real bad if Major Nelson updates his post and leaves out some information and we are stuck yet again in this endless cycle of "family share can't work like that, it works like this <cites thing>" until the Xbox One comes out.

I've been trying a one man attempt, but reddit has just as many downvotes (wtf) as it does upvotes. Every other avenue I've been brushed off or ignored. I did manage to get one Xbox rep to take a look at the list, but we really need to make sure Major Nelson addresses all of the use cases we have questions for.

Again, perhaps it would be better to get an updated list of questions and make a new thread with the specific intention of respectfully tweeting @majornelson so that all of Neogaf (that cares about family share) could see it front and center and not buried in a Phil Spencer post. (obviously I'm not condoning spamming his feed. But 1 @ per person that cares should be enough to get on his radar)

As it is, how many of us are keeping up with this thread? The family share is really seeming like the one feature that makes putting up with the auth check-ins and stuff worth it, potentially. It'd be super if we could get some concrete answers before having to own the physical hardware to find out.

Or perhaps I'm the only one who is eagerly waiting for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom