• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo shows New Jersey students playing "Jews vs. Nazis" drinking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like some dumb high school kids trying to offensive because they think it's funny. It's disturbing to see people wanting to get their names and faces out there to shame them publicly.

Yeah. It's extraordinarily tasteless, but malicious? Probably not.

Pepboy

What law did they break exactly?

The poster is probably going to claim "hate speech", but I think it's sad that they would equate kids copying this pre-existing game (with tasteless rules) with actual hate speech. Thankfully they are not the actual DA.

Kids do stupid shit. Hopefully they learn from this.
Yeah. They'll learn what modern Progressivism is really like. Even stuff you do with your friends in private in your own home will be policed.
Aren't they in highschool?

Underage drinking.
In NJ private home consumption of alcohol by minors is legal.
I knew I was wasting my time actually writing a full reply but I did it anyway. Shame on me
I bet you did. I guess I was right about you.
Do you have some nice talking points to parrot back about how real Communism has never been tried, too?

Kids do stupid shit. Hopefully they learn from this.

They can only learn if someone tells them something is wrong. Which many seem to minimize with "kids do stupid shit". They do and then you teach them not to do it, not just shrug and say "whatever".

That said, there's a gulf between punishment from parents and schools and long-term legal and educational ramifications, which don't apply here.

Good lord, so much complaining about hypothetical Internet mobs doing hypothetical Internet justice on these kids.

People on the Internet are having opinions on a topical news story. This is normal. Can you discuss the situation itself without being so upset about imagined punishment?

bunbun777

Would it make any difference if the kids took turns? Acting like villains, acting like stereotypes, calling one a penny pincher and the other a sausage muncher. When the 'jews' defeated the 'nazis' was it less offensive? Was it their hate for those that are different that fueled their creativity in coming up with the most offensive insults or just that using taboo subject matter illicited the most positive reactions? Does this activity foster future racism and cultural insensitivity or does it attempt to nullify it through entertainment and satire?

Brakke

Banned
I knew I was wasting my time actually writing a full reply but I did it anyway. Shame on me

Actually I just finished reading that Asimov essay and came back to thank you for posting it. Dude was spitting hot fire, that was a good read. I confess I never got around to reading 1984 myself, but I've long been wary of the way some people reference it.

Too bad Ersatzkopf got banned before someone got around to avatar quoting his Nazi-looking pic.

literally on the first page

Then why are you posting this

But please, are you going to sit here and imply an internet social justice mob is better suited at punishment then the parents and school system that will most likely punish them?

at someone who isn't saying anything of the sort

why is it either "kids will be kids," or "rally for internet mob punishment," when one person implied it and why do you think everyone must be saying the same thing

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
They broke the law, so that would be fair.

I think that juvenile detention would be sufficient enough to teach them a lesson, though I know bishop would argue that such a weak stance on the issue would make me a caper for ignorance.
I would argue that putting words in my mouth is a one-way ticket between the uprights.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't get it.
whats the difference between this and cards against humanity?

(and yes, thats a serious question)

Technically speaking, you can make a game of CAH with no offensive or otherwise racist content, This is by default offensive and problematic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"...and say as many racist things as possible to make it more enjoyable."

It takes a certain type of person to find this kind of game "enjoyable."
Yeah this is really the fucked up part, I'd say. The rest of the game itself is tasteless and juvenile but not necessarily a huge deal coming from drunk teenagers trying to be loledgy.

I've said stupid edgy shit as a teen, though in my defense I was more 14 than 17, but yeah. :p The part about saying "as many racist things as possible to make it more enjoyable" is just... wut.

Sianos

I particularly liked your post! It was insightful, well cited, and brought up some interesting ideas. Good point about how Orwell himself undermined his own ideals - just goes to show how everyone sees themselves as the hero and the pitfalls of not addressing and calling out moral relativism when people are presenting what are supposed to be general principles.

No one ever challenges the ideas in my political correctness posts, but I like to think I make some strong points whenever the topic comes up.

Ahaha, apparently one of my teacher friends knows exactly who these students are.

Anyway, this is damn tasteless, but I just see it as kids that don't know the weight of the Holocaust trying to be edgy. I'd be a hypocrite to say they aren't allowed to find it amusing or funny or do it at all (the game itself, not the underage drinking). I do not believe the school should be involved at all, and the police should only be involved if they did something illegal.

I say this as a Jew with family that died in the Holocaust.

The rules of that game are pretty damn creative admittedly. Too bad the game itself is just fucking pointless. Kids gotta get stripped of any student leadership or athletics they are apart of. Appart from that kids should be left to be punished by parents. No need to involve police. But lets not pretend this is "high school students do dumb shit". 16-17 year old students arent fucking children, they know exactly how wrong and inappropriate what they are doing is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom