• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physicists create time crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

2f1.jpg

Never would have guessed chaos control would become a real thing. :p

Kid Ying

So If get inside my fridge, I can use it as a time machine?
It needs to by a little colder than that. Next to zero degrees Kelvin.

There is something called spin spin interaction. It's small, but when you're that cold, it gets more significant for particles and that's what utimately makes the time crystal possible.

Also, unfortunately, it's not a means to control time. It just makes time distribution a bit more strange. We see time as a continuous variable through life, but it behaves like a discrete variable in the Crystal. That means it got a different distribution than usual in there and you can go from somewhere where time is faster or slower depending on the state.

Samemind

It needs to by a little colder than that. Next to zero degrees Kelvin.

There is something called spin spin interaction. It's small, but when you're that cold, it gets more significant for particles and that's what utimately makes the time crystal possible.

Also, unfortunately, it's not a means to control time. It just makes time distribution a bit more strange. We see time as a continuous variable through life, but it behaves like a discrete variable in the Crystal. That means it got a different distribution than usual in there and you can go from somewhere where time is faster or slower depending on the state.
A hyperbolic time chamber then

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can someone explain this and its possible applications to me like I'm a child?

Lets see if I can get this right. Scientist think they have produced a structure that moves not because there is energy put into the system but because the structure oscillates in time.
At a zero energy state where the structure should remain static. It moves because the individual atoms are oscillating in time. That's quite bonkers really.

I still don't get why it forces the ions to oscillate in time when they force it to break symmetry.

Mindwipe

Are the oscillations random? As they aren't dependent on any application of prior force, surely they would be unpredictable?

In other words is this a perfect random number generator?

(I say because my brain hurts.)

Reading up on this just further reinforces the fact that economics was for me.

Even simplistic ...simplifications are over my head, damn.

Can someone explain this and its possible applications to me like I'm a child?

Lets see if I can get this right. Scientist think they have produced a structure that moves not because there is energy put into the system but because the structure oscillates in time.
At a zero energy state where the structure should remain static. It moves because the individual atoms are oscillating in time. That's quite bonkers really.

I still don't get why it forces the ions to oscillate in time when they force it to break symmetry.
child-tablet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom