• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Z4FcU2s.jpg
Queen Elizabeth II firing a British L85 battle rifle in Surrey, England. 1993.
https://twitter.com/HistoricalPics/status/533756384794656768/photo/1

Melchiah

^ Cool pics.

While the skill of those tattoos is impressive, that shit is straight up ugly to have on your body 24/7/365/forever.

Eventhough I prefer scars over tattoos, I think some of them look pretty good. Particularly the graphical ones, which are more like body ornaments, like this one.

1OVRszd.jpg

Although, I think it might have been a good idea to leave the ass untouched. ;)

Melchiah

Imagine going to a job interview with one of those things.

Hello? Goodbye.

That's generally not a problem here in Finland, but of course it depends on the job. Many of my friends have tattoos all over their bodies, and I've got scars all over my hands, and as far as I know it's never been an issue. Although, in one of my old jobs, the boss's eyes seemed to fixate on my arms when I was in her office for briefing. She never said a word about it though. =)

glaurung

That's generally not a problem here in Finland, but of course it depends on the job. Many of my friends have tattoos all over their bodies, and I've got scars all over my hands, and as far as I know it's never been an issue. Although, in one of my old jobs, the boss's eyes seemed to fixate on my arms when I was in her office for briefing. She never said a word about it though. =)
I have realized that it is a huge problem here in Estonia.

But then again, I am talking about job interviews for proper positions, not fast food burger flippers.

I have zero tattoos and zero piercings. I have no idea why anyone would want to desecrate their bodies like that.

Melchiah

I have realized that it is a huge problem here in Estonia.

But then again, I am talking about job interviews for proper positions, not fast food burger flippers.

I have zero tattoos and zero piercings. I have no idea why anyone would want to desecrate their bodies like that.

Huh?! Now that's a pretty old-fashioned point of view. People should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their bodies, without facing discrimination because of it. Naturally, you probably shouldn't apply to a job, where you're representing the firm to the clients, if you have tattoos all over your face, but I don't see how that's a problem if you're not in contact with the clients. Funnily enough, you'd most likely get hired for an office job than a fast food joint with that kind of look.

glaurung

Huh?! Now that's a pretty old-fashioned point of view. People should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their bodies, without facing discrimination because of it. Naturally, you probably shouldn't apply to a job, where you're representing the firm to the clients, if you have tattoos all over your face, but I don't see how that's a problem if you're not in contact with the clients. Funnily enough, you'd most likely get hired for an office job than a fast food joint with that kind of look.
I'm a pretty old-fashioned type of guy.

Melchiah

5Frxhgx.jpg

MCtVskH.jpg

The Continental Drifters, wooden sculptures by Paul Kaptein.

Dx96afN.jpg

Y5OtwcR.jpg

Two Forms of Stillness, a wooden sculpture by Paul Kaptein.

At first I was confused by the image as well.

Apparently it's this:
A different view of the undercover officer

As can see, he is using his weapon as a deterrent, but with his finger off the trigger, in an attempt to protect his partner making the arrest. In his other hand you can see the baton that he drew first. When that did not warrant the appropriate response from the crowd, i.e. standing back for their safety and the officers', he drew his firearm. I understand that there have been numerous instances of the over use of force by police, but they still have a dangerous job, and there are some times when drawing a firearm is an appropriate response. One of the officers was punched and kicked in the head during this altercation. Please stop condemning before you truly understand the facts.
http://imgur.com/gallery/o63KXlD

Retro

If I may ask, what's on these pictures? Is it the undercover cop that held people at gunpoint?

Armed undercover cops were hiding out (civilian clothes, bandanas covering their faces) in a protest in Oakland. When someone in the crowd recognized what they were and outed them (one person admits to pulling off their bandana), they started shoving their way through the crowd to get away. Someone shoved back (probably not realizing they were cops since they were still in civilian clothes and had not identified themselves) and their response was to tackle him to the ground and put him in handcuffs.

When people started to gather nearby to protest the the police brutality happening right in the middle of their police brutality protest, one of the officers drew his baton and firearm and waved it at the crowd and photographer.

Story here: http://www.ktvu.com/story/27606016/undercover-cop-pulls-gun-on-demonstrators

Edit: I have not seen any reliable news source reporting that either officer was "punched and kicked", only that one of the officers was 'pushed to the ground'. Given that the protestors had broken into an auditorium to disrupt a speech (ironically, about peaceful protests having an effect) and supposedly smashed a store front and an ATM, it's not outside the realm of possibility though and honestly nobody looks good in the whole affair.

That said, armed undercover cops wearing masks lurking in the middle of a protest sounds like the perfect recipe for someone to get shot.

Edit 2: They were apparently attempting to incite the protestors to violence too. That at least gives us a reason as to how the protesters were able to figure out they were cops;

According to them, as the marches proceeded through Berkeley and Oakland, the two masked officers banged on windows and attempted to devolve protests into looting and rioting. (source)

Here's the GAF thread on it; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950296

Top Bottom