• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel's Kero Blaster is finally coming to Steam

Dineren

Banned
I'm not sure if I'm losing my mind or not, but did they drastically improve the soundtrack included with the Rhythm edition? I seem to recall the bitrate being ridiculously low on it, but the one I just downloaded from Playism seems to be 320kbps.

Edit: Sorry, a question about what is available from Playism isn't necessarily relevant to this thread, but I assume the same soundtrack would come with the Steam edition.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Woooo!! Will the steam key show up on our playism account page?

Yes! In fact, I'm pretty sure our release manager has already added Steam keys to the proper accounts. :)

that's really awesome! :D will keys be sent by mail, or do I log into playism site to claim?

A key should already be on your Playism account. :)

Curious to try this one.

Oh, will it have achievements and cards?

Yep!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Really excited, I loved Cave Story. Does this game have a story like Cave Story did?

It has a story. It's the same kind of hilariously cute story you expect from Pixel.

Yeah i know, sorry, just waiting for this game is killing me =)

No apology needed. I thought it was a pretty good joke. :)

I just checked my account, strangely, my purchase of Kero Blaster plus soundtrack (what the system calls "Kero Blaster/Rhythm Set") does not qualify as a game, making my Playism account have no games. There is also no key tied to this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought this SKU, just a heads up!

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot who didn't click download!

I'm not sure if I'm losing my mind or not, but did they drastically improve the soundtrack included with the Rhythm edition? I seem to recall the bitrate being ridiculously low on it, but the one I just downloaded from Playism seems to be 320kbps.

My being a slight pain in the ass about this for a year has paid huge dividends!

Fuck! I'm gonna have to replay the normal mode before I go into the new one, aren't I.

Aeana

My being a slight pain in the ass about this for a year has paid huge dividends!

Fuck! I'm gonna have to replay the normal mode before I go into the new one, aren't I.
tbh this whole time you could've done what I did and recorded your own version using Pixel's pxtone player's wav out function. I'm glad it's finally improved though.

duckroll

Well first of all if you don't have an old save, you'll have to clear the first mode before Overtime is even available. Secondly, if you're worried about achievements, I think they'll probably be the same as the in-game achievements that were added to the game in the latest version.... I hope you enjoy trying to clear the game while still wearing the winter jacket. Loooool. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It says November 11th for me.
EDIT: Oh, on the sidebar. Yeah that's clearly a mistake.

Actually, according to Steam, you're supposed to list the date the game originally released if Steam isn't its first platform. Weird that they don't communicate that properly on the store page.

So this is Pink Hour? Release date is today (Oct. 28th). Free to play.

Pink Hour is now live! Download and have fun. :)

To clarify with Pink Hour and Pink Heaven, there is no catch. There are no micro transactions and no DLC. This is just a free standalone action game to occupy some time while you wait for Kero Blaster. :D

Also, Pink Heaven will be up on Steam on Nov. 4th! http://store.steampowered.com/app/409690/

Psxphile

"I get to go home early today!"

cute

Well, that was short but fun. A nice little teaser for the real thing, I guess.
EDIT: oh, there's a different ending for finishing it on Hard. Mysterious. Guess it ties into Pink Heaven.

duckroll

I was checking out Pink Hour earlier and noticed the Steam version has a language toggle setting in-game. That's something the stand alone version never had. You had to either download the Japanese or the English version separately. Glad to see them add such a feature. Hope it's in Kero Blaster too!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Played and finished Pink Hour just now. For some reason the player sprite is not visible when I select anything other than 1x screen size.

thetrin

Just to let everyone know, Pink Heaven is out on Steam!

Psxphile

Shit, I forgot! Grabbing now.

EDIT: Pink Heaven Complete
gHsTSQM.png

Dr. Buni

Nice, just added the game to my wishlist. Both Cave Story and Ikachan are great games, so this one must be a solid title as well.

Battlechili

Banned
One thing I don't get though, is, why does Kero Blaster look so much simpler than Cave Story? Like it altogether appears to be a much simpler game than Cave Story or even Ikachan.

BiggNife

Will you please cease ignoring this game now, GAF? I hope so.

I don't really think it's "ignoring" as much as it is that Playism has limited marketing and a lot of people just don't know the game existed until now because it was only available on Playism's site, which doesn't have nearly as much exposure to consumers as Steam/GOG/Humble/whatever.

I expect it to get a lot more publicity through word of mouth once the Steam version is out.

flowsnake

One thing I don't get though, is, why does Kero Blaster look so much simpler than Cave Story? Like it altogether appears to be a much simpler game than Cave Story or even Ikachan.

Probably because the Pixel didn't do the level design. He made Cave Story alone but this is a collaboration.

Saikyo

I dont know why the game has 2 "demos", why dont update it in only one game? Also its kind annoying the game opening your browser when you finish pink heaven/door, if someone after playing the game have interest he is gonna visit the page on steam and wishlist it.

Waiting for the game to launch but going by pink heaven/door its seems a simpler game than cave story, going to buy it anyway.

I dont know why the game has 2 "demos", why dont update it in only one game? Also its kind annoying the game opening your browser when you finish pink heaven/door, if someone after playing the game have interest he is gonna visit the page on steam and wishlist it.

Waiting for the game to launch but going by pink heaven/door its seems a simpler game than cave story, going to buy it anyway.

There used to be only one Demo: Pink Hour, and then Kero Blaster. Pink Hour was seen as a prequel of sorts. Recently the game got a game length patch that doubled how many levels it had, and a deal to bring it to steam was made, so a sequel to the prequel was made. Confusing, but if you've been following this game for a while, it makes a little bit of sense.

RM8

Well, Kero Blaster is not a Metroidvania, it's a "run-and-gun" game. Simpler than Ikachan, though? Nope.

jerry1594

It's designed for mobile controls. The bosses are kind of Cave Story level complicated but levels and enemy placement are designed to work with the control scheme. What he said too ^

Marow

Pink Heaven was just as fun as Pink Hour. Can't wait to sink my teeth into Kero Blaster later.

Also recently played through Ikachan for the first time and it was short, but lovely. Could definitely feel Cave Story-vibes from it. Would be fun to see the updated version on Steam someday, or if anything just the freeware one.

thetrin

Just a heads up for anyone who already played the game before the Steam release: you can transfer your save over to the Steam version. You won't get the associated Steam achievements, but you won't lose your progress.

Enjoy!

Saikyo

Finished the game in 2 hours.

It was fun, dont know if pixel was holding back or because the game was for mobile before but it was nice to have a "boss checkpoint" even if you continued the stage, I was already screaming at having to fight
the possesed cat chief
again. Also I miss the ability to shoot downwards but I guess it to make you use more the bubble gun.

Nice that 1 or 2 Cave Story songs are in the game remixed.

Top Bottom