• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planescape: Torment EE |OT| I have been here before. This time I shall never leave.

Purkake4

Banned
The party members are decent enough and the conversation with
Myrkul
is cool but I felt there was very little to make it worth comparing to other great RPGs from around the same time like Planescape, Vampire, and even some of Obsidian's other games like KOTOR 2 and AP. There's also been a bunch of recent RPGs that I feel are a lot better too, like Pillars as I said.

The ending is pretty much a wet fart as well because its like they didn't want to overturn the D&D cosmology applecart when that was the only satisfying conclusion it could have had. (Which is weird considering Baldur's Gate 3's concept was supposed to be you ascending to godhood and kicking the Forgotten Worlds deities' asses.)
It has one of the best evil paths along with the ending in any game I can think of. The companions are great as well as the major characters. The Forgotten Realms cosmology part I can agree with, but as long as you understand that it's a personal story, it's not really that bad. Also all of the endings are valid, make sense and offer closure.

Probably a good idea to get the fan patch that makes the spirit meter less annoying though.

Just reached the Alley of Lingering Sighs. Anyone know how far into the game I am at this point? I'm too scared to look at a guide in case of spooolers.
Like 20-25% maybe.

Taruranto

Myrkul
is cool but I felt there was very little to make it worth comparing to other great RPGs from around the same time like Planescape, Vampire, and even some of Obsidian's other games like KOTOR 2 and AP. There's also been a bunch of recent RPGs that I feel are a lot better too, like Pillars as I said.

The ending is pretty much a wet fart as well because its like they didn't want to overturn the D&D cosmology applecart when that was the only satisfying conclusion it could have had. (Which is weird considering Baldur's Gate 3's concept was supposed to be you ascending to godhood and kicking the Forgotten Worlds deities' asses.)

I think that everyone was disappointed that you
couldn't destroy the wall,
but I just don't think WotC would have allowed it.

I think that everyone was disappointed that you
couldn't destroy the wall,
but I just don't think WotC would have allowed it.
Then they really should have never gone there to be honest.

Planescape has a similar ending but I felt it was done so much better in every way. If you play a heroic TNO that (Massive Spoilers here)
fuses with the Transcendent One and brings back his friends he still has to serve in The Blood War. It's similarly unfair but it still feels triumphant and a great ending to TNO's arc.
MoB's endings just feels like a middle finger and a waste of time.

Purkake4

Banned
Then they really should have never gone there to be honest.

Planescape has a similar ending but I felt it was done so much better in every way. If you play a heroic TNO that (Massive Spoilers here)
fuses with the Transcendent One and brings back his friends he still has to serve in The Blood War. It's similarly unfair but it still feels triumphant and a great ending to TNO's arc.
MoB's endings just feels like a middle finger and a waste of time.
PST's ending
is about accepting responsibility for your past actions. You don't choose your fate, it is already sealed by your past actions, all you can choose is how you get there. I feel that it's the perfect way to finish off the personal story, you can either learn and become a better person or stay an ignorant shithead, but the destination is the same.

MotB's story
was never about toppling the wall, Obsidian could have done a better job communicating it, but it's all there. You need to do something about the spirit eater curse, the Crusade has always been doomed from the start, only Kaelyn (and Akachi) didn't understand that. You literally need more than a god to change fundamental cosmology.

Eusis

So, is this worth getting even if I have the original game with mods installed?
Mainly for if you want QOL improvements or really can't stand some visual quirks from running on modern hardware. I wouldn't at full PC price anyway (which is why I was so grumpy about GOG's loyalty discount ending after just a week... into pre-orders.)

Gilzor

Damn it, I think the EE might still be bugged in parts. Tried to get Porphiron his necklace back. Went to the thugs near Smoldering Corpse. Demanded it. Ended up killing them all. Looted. No damn necklace. Now the quest is still stuck there in my journal, unfinished.

Mainly for if you want QOL improvements or really can't stand some visual quirks from running on modern hardware. I wouldn't at full PC price anyway (which is why I was so grumpy about GOG's loyalty discount ending after just a week... into pre-orders.)

Welp. Bought. No money going to PST is wasted money.

Gilzor

This might be a dumb question, but does the EE release mean Beamdog "owns" Planescape: Torment now? I read an interview on RPGCodex with Fargo, who talked about Colin McComb and Avellone trying to get the rights a couple of years ago and failing. Does this EE mean the rights stuff is sorted now?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This might be a dumb question, but does the EE release mean Beamdog "owns" Planescape: Torment now? I read an interview on RPGCodex with Fargo, who talked about Colin McComb and Avellone trying to get the rights a couple of years ago and failing. Does this EE mean the rights stuff is sorted now?

Wizards of the Coast own the rights, Beamdog is licensing it from them.

No, Hasbro owns the rights because they own Wizards of the Coast and in turn D&D.

Hasbro has just been allowing Beamdog to remaster the games.

Eusis

Why did I think Disney owned WoTC?
Probably because they're trying to own everyone.
Also last anyone checked WotC hated all their old campaign settings and wanted everyone to forget they existed.
It's really, really frustrating when they have some really neat settings and some haven't been used well in games at all (or for really, really old ones) but I think at this point most developers are just going with their own settings rather than license them out.

Purkake4

Banned
It's really, really frustrating when they have some really neat settings and some haven't been used well in games at all (or for really, really old ones) but I think at this point most developers are just going with their own settings rather than license them out.
They are literally sitting on treasure trove of stuff to license out for whatever, but doing nothing with it because it might distract people from their currently sold stuff. Look at all the crazy-awesome stuff that came out of Games Workshop finally letting everyone license WH and 40K stuff.

WotC is sitting on Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, not to mention Forgotten Realms.

Eusis

They are literally sitting on treasure trove of stuff to license out for whatever, but doing nothing with it because it might distract people from their currently sold stuff. Look at all the crazy-awesome stuff that came out of Games Workshop finally letting everyone license WH and 40K stuff.

WotC is sitting on Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, not to mention Forgotten Realms.
I do wonder if it might have to do with WotC buying TSR, and if not that then Hasbro buying WotC. Because it was great for video games until the early 2000s then it started to dry out until we got some lame things that didn't even try to use the rulesets. It does make me wonder if Hasbro execs took charge of licensing and just... don't really know what to do right for the games, either for middle budget RPGs or even higher budget affairs. Even putting aside the neglected campaigns a modern BG style Eberron game would be neat.

Sinatar

Did they patch some of the unfinished content in this one? I know one of the patches for the OG game does.

They ran it by Chris Avellone and he suggested they don't, everything that was cut he cut for a reason and doesn't think it belongs.

Gilzor

Sorry guys, another slight tangent, but I'm really loving the work on this Enhanced Edition so am excited to try out Beamdog's other releases. However, is Icewind Dale literally just a combat game? Is there no story value in it at all?

Well if you're talking about actual Pen & Paper, FR is the default setting, and Ravenloft is covered with Curse of Strahd. Dark Sun is rumored, if you believe the rumblings on ENWorld.

As far as games, FR has pretty much always been the staple, and its been frustrating that there haven't been more ventures out to settings like Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

I agree that they should license their settings out for more games than they have now, and take a page out of GW's book...and who knows? WotC seems to have their head a little bit more in the game when it comes to digital work now than it has in the past. Maybe not 90's D&D games good, but better than the sort of treatment received in the 3.5/4e era.

Sorry guys, another slight tangent, but I'm really loving the work on this Enhanced Edition so am excited to try out Beamdog's other releases. However, is Icewind Dale literally just a combat game? Is there no story value in it at all?

There's story, but it's basically the excuse to get in fights. Think of Black Isle's IE games like a scale between story and combat, with PS:T on one side, IWD on the other, and BG in the middle.

Sinatar

There is a story, it's just pretty straight forward.

But yes, the focus of the game is on huge, complex dungeons full of challenging combat scenarios.

Taruranto

Almost done,
Curst to Carceri segment never really gets better, no matter how much I replay the game. It's obviously rushed and the writing in Curst segment is honestly garbage. Baator is one screen. Carceri is a bit better, but the game doesn't give you many dialog options to play with. I mean as soon you entrer the place one NPC literally goes "Curst has been fucked, please gather goodwill to unfuck it, kthxbye" in a giant infodump. There are obviously a lot of good ideas in this part, but the whole segment just doesn't have the same care as the rest of the game.

I know people are not a fan of Beamdog's original content, but since they got Avelone for this, they could easily have adjusted this part.

I would suggest BG2 instead of IWD (You can try BG1, but it's not necessary and also very boring), IWD is hit or miss and aimed at people who really enjoy D&D IE combat, but even then BG2 has better combat IMO due to the incredible itemization and encounter design. And it also doesn't have low level D&D, which sucks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
There's story, but it's basically the excuse to get in fights. Think of Black Isle's IE games like a scale between story and combat, with PS:T on one side, IWD on the other, and BG in the middle.

Probably why many folks think BG is the best, though really, all are pretty awesome.

I would suggest BG2 instead of IWD (You can try BG1, but it's not necessary and also very boring), IWD is hit or miss and aimed at people who really enjoy D&D IE combat, but even then BG2 has better combat IMO due to the incredible itemization and encounter design. And it also doesn't have low level D&D, which sucks.

I sort of disagree with this. Playing through IWD somewhat recently, the encounter design of that game is really airtight with very few repeat encounters. It really utilizes the full spread of D&D levels to make combat enjoyable throughout. Plus it's just a more focused and linear experience than BG2 so despite playing almost identically, it feels pretty distinct.

Then again, all of the Infinity Engine games are my children and I love them all (except IWD2 which I've never actually gotten through)

Ricitor

So I finally started the game today after a long time contemplating it. I have always struggled with CRPGs for some reason but it usually comes down to a sense of being thrown in the deep end.

So far I am really liking the game a lot. The world and story have already got their hooks in me. Yet I cannot help but feel a little overwhelmed. I am only two hours in and am exploring The Hive right now. Seems there is a lot I need to learn before I can really start moving forward. Every time I find a new area I have a lot of ground to cover to make sure I am not missing anything so I am speaking to everyone and everything.
Trying to get to grips with the world and lore seems a little daunting. I am hopeful that the Hive is just a heavy introduction to the world and characters and from there starts to get a bit more focused. Still, I am very eager to continue. From the little combat I have dealt with it seems okay but hopefully some meaty encounters will be coming soon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Myrkul

The party in motb is legitimately the best and most consistant in crpgs. Thematically and narratively they are all tied into the plot in a way most games don't. Also the evil ending is amazing. Frankly beating up the gods is the sort of boring thing I see in every high level dnd campaign ever. And it's not really interesting after playing any amount of jrpgs

Purkake4

Banned
Well if you're talking about actual Pen & Paper, FR is the default setting, and Ravenloft is covered with Curse of Strahd. Dark Sun is rumored, if you believe the rumblings on ENWorld.

As far as games, FR has pretty much always been the staple, and its been frustrating that there haven't been more ventures out to settings like Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

I agree that they should license their settings out for more games than they have now, and take a page out of GW's book...and who knows? WotC seems to have their head a little bit more in the game when it comes to digital work now than it has in the past. Maybe not 90's D&D games good, but better than the sort of treatment received in the 3.5/4e era.
I'm not 100% up on the current stuff. I thought Greyhawk was the default setting, have they changed it now? I also feel that just kind of mushing bits of the old settings into something else is worse than just killing them.

Look at how well Shadowrun has managed to keep its stuff semi-consistent over the 5 editions and 3 decades, you can still use old sourcebooks and campaigns with a little updating here and there. Almost all the fluff is still relevant.

d00d3n

So I finally started the game today after a long time contemplating it. I have always struggled with CRPGs for some reason but it usually comes down to a sense of being thrown in the deep end.

So far I am really liking the game a lot. The world and story have already got their hooks in me. Yet I cannot help but feel a little overwhelmed. I am only two hours in and am exploring The Hive right now. Seems there is a lot I need to learn before I can really start moving forward. Every time I find a new area I have a lot of ground to cover to make sure I am not missing anything so I am speaking to everyone and everything.
Trying to get to grips with the world and lore seems a little daunting. I am hopeful that the Hive is just a heavy introduction to the world and characters and from there starts to get a bit more focused. Still, I am very eager to continue. From the little combat I have dealt with it seems okay but hopefully some meaty encounters will be coming soon.

The Hive is pretty focused for an introductory open area in a CRPG imo. It is only a couple of city blocks, you can't leave until you progress the main story (right?) and there are few unpredictable fail states for quests or complex quests (discounting morale outcomes). I am just about done with The Hive after 8-10 hours, and the relatively small scope of the introductory area has been a positive for me actually. The 80% content chunk that was the "beginning" of Baldur's Gate II was a bit overwhelming, though ...

Purkake4

Banned

The Hive is pretty focused for an introductory open area in a CRPG imo. It is only a couple of city blocks, you can't leave until you progress the main story (right?) and there are few unpredictable fail states for quests or complex quests (discounting morale outcomes). I am just about done with The Hive after 8-10 hours, and the relatively small scope of the introductory area has been a positive for me actually. The 80% content chunk that was the "beginning" of Baldur's Gate II was a bit overwhelming, though ...
Also, don't worry too much about missing stuff. There's more stuff than you can take in in one playthrough. Just take it easy and follow the story.

I'm not 100% up on the current stuff. I thought Greyhawk was the default setting, have they changed it now? I also feel that just kind of mushing bits of the old settings into something else is worse than just killing them.

Look at how well Shadowrun has managed to keep its stuff semi-consistent over the 5 editions and 3 decades, you can still use old sourcebooks and campaigns with a little updating here and there. Almost all the fluff is still relevant.

Greyhawk hasn't been the default setting since 3.5. 4e had a generic setting based on the concept of "Points of Light", an abstract idea to basically just mean there are points of civilization, and a whole bunch of wilderness with bad shit out there. 5e's default setting is FR.

I think the thing that makes it work is the fact that D&D has so many great, rich settings to work with that they can pull this sort of thing off. with 3.5 and 4e FR wasn't the default setting, but there were campaign setting sourcebooks with everything you needed to run an FR game; same with Eberron and Dark Sun. 5e has been light on sourcebooks, but big on Adventure Paths, which is why I didn't say there's a Ravenloft book, there's Curse of Strahd.

Personally I fucking *love* shadowrun, but I've been playing D&D pretty consistently since AD&D2e and 5e is quite literally the best the game has ever been.

About to play this game for the first time. What's the consensus regarding the framerate settings? It said going above 30 may cause some audio sync issues but it defaults at 40 anyway.

ShadowOwl

Didn't get around to play this week but really looking forward to diving back in this weekend. Already found Pharod's location but I guess I will take care of some sidequests fand become a mage before I visit him.

About to play this game for the first time. What's the consensus regarding the framerate settings? It said going above 30 may cause some audio sync issues but it defaults at 40 anyway.
Leaving at it the default setting just worked fine for me on both my Windows 7 systems. Haven't noticed any audio problems so far.

Gilzor

I feel like I've messed up here. I read earlier that it's best to prioritise WSD, INT and CHR above all else. However, I was sure I read that you should max out WSD first before going to the others. Is this true? Or should I have rotated? I'm in the Civic Festhall now so I'm unsure if I have much game left to max out INT and CHR too...

Taruranto

I feel like I've messed up here. I read earlier that it's best to prioritise WSD, INT and CHR above all else. However, I was sure I read that you should max out WSD first before going to the others. Is this true? Or should I have rotated? I'm in the Civic Festhall now so I'm unsure if I have much game left to max out INT and CHR too...

Level ups are generous later, so don't worry to much about it. You also get some stats boosts from quests.

It's best to get INT and WIS to 21 as soon you can, CHR is less important but you want it to 21 as soon you can too. Check Fell's Tattoo Parlor, he sells tattoos that boost your stats. These areas you are now also have two quests that boost your CHR by +2 too. Oh, you can use the "Friends" spell to boost your CHR before important talks.

Purkake4

Banned
Just relax and enjoy the game, you aren't missing anything important or relevant.

In the mortuary, is there a way for TNO to search the containers at the top floor without being noticed at the beginning of the game? I figured I could just use Morte to cruise right through, but I was curious if there was another way.

Altazor

In the mortuary, is there a way for TNO to search the containers at the top floor without being noticed at the beginning of the game? I figured I could just use Morte to cruise right through, but I was curious if there was another way.

you can tell the Dustmen that approach you that you're looking for Dhall (I think that option only appears if you've already talked to him in the second floor, maybe?) and they'll leave you alone. Or if you've got high enough DEX you can
snap their necks before they raise the alarm

Eusis

Well, did you speak to
Dhall on the floor you woke up on? You could just say you aren't lost and came to see him, and they'll leave you alone. Or just keep running and ignore them, they're really lackadaisical about reaching potential invaders.

God, just bought an iPad and instantly bought this. Haven't played through the whole game in quite a while, mostly due to the GOG version crashing with mods every now then taking the wind out of my sail. Tablet version running stable and being highly enjoyable. What a great way to play Torment again. EE seems pretty damn good as well, glad they allow the new stuff to be toggled on/off at will.

you can tell the Dustmen that approach you that you're looking for Dhall (I think that option only appears if you've already talked to him in the second floor, maybe?) and they'll leave you alone. Or if you've got high enough DEX you can
snap their necks before they raise the alarm

Well, did you speak to
Dhall on the floor you woke up on? You could just say you aren't lost and came to see him, and they'll leave you alone. Or just keep running and ignore them, they're really lackadaisical about reaching potential invaders.
Thanks!
knew about the neck snapping, but nice to know the Dhall method.
I did talk to him, I've played the beginning of the game several times before.

Messing about in the Hive now. Bought it on iPad and the controls are a bit hit and miss, so the combat took some getting used to.

Any tips for fighting? I specced int and wisdom far higher than strength and until i added a third party member i was getting slaughtered pretty easily. And I'm screwed against those abishai things (which I avoid, but I accidentally attacked one and he ain't forgetting it). Note that I never go looking for fights, but occasionally i manage to say something stupid or click the wrong Npc

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Messing about in the Hive now. Bought it on iPad and the controls are a bit hit and miss, so the combat took some getting used to.

Any tips for fighting? I specced int and wisdom far higher than strength and until i added a third party member i was getting slaughtered pretty easily. And I'm screwed against those abishai things (which I avoid, but I accidentally attacked one and he ain't forgetting it). Note that I never go looking for fights, but occasionally i manage to say something stupid or click the wrong Npc

Keep in mind that the hive is full of random NPC's that attack you on sight. Usually labelled as "Hive thugs" or something. Just don't think that you are always initiating combat, but they are also generally easy to kill.

Also anything that presents a major challenge(like Aribashi) give you a fair warning before they aggro. Usually Morte pipes up and warns you to back off or leave them be early on. So long as you don't actively click your weapon on stuff, you shouldn't have much trouble with that stat makeup in the early game.

Altazor

when I was doing my OG with mods playthrough (that I never finished before the EE release, and I kinda left in the backburner 'cause of bugs) I only managed to defeat the one in the Lower Ward when I had like... 4 party members or so. Maybe even 5. So... I dunno, if you're underleveled and have weak-ish weapons, just RUN until you get more party members and, especially, a weapon that can do magic damage.

d00d3n

Super easy to abuse their AI. Get them to aggro on TNO, run in circles with TNO and attack with two other party members. The Abishai will usually get stuck between the two party members who can safely kill it, because it is only interested in attacking TNO. I am not sure if this works universally, but it is 100% reproducible for me in the Hive when using TNO to provoke them by asking questions. Great way to earn EXP in the Hive and no alignment changes for doing it as far as I understand it.

Gilzor

Just arrived in Curst. Game bugged out big time once I reached Ravel, and I had to do the entire section again. Didn't mind though, as I picked up a bunch of XP from asking some different questions this time.

How far through the game an I now that I've reached Curst?

Purkake4

Banned
Just arrived in Curst. Game bugged out big time once I reached Ravel, and I had to do the entire section again. Didn't mind though, as I picked up a bunch of XP from asking some different questions this time.

How far through the game an I now that I've reached Curst?
Like 2/3-ish

Feels good to finally be able to play. No matter how many times I messed with the mods or reinstalled the game just would not run proper.

Eusis

So I'm fucking around and killing monsters in Undersigil for some EXP and money (and because Cloudkill basically insta kills whole groups of worms) and my alignment is drifting away from lawful. Anyone know what's up with that and a way to cheese it back? I'm guessing some of those monsters are lawful and killing them is counting as chaotic points.

Purkake4

Banned
So I'm fucking around and killing monsters in Undersigil for some EXP and money (and because Cloudkill basically insta kills whole groups of worms) and my alignment is drifting away from lawful. Anyone know what's up with that and a way to cheese it back? I'm guessing some of those monsters are lawful and killing them is counting as chaotic points.
AFAIK alignment makes zero different in PS:T.

Top Bottom