• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games talks about their business challenges, licensed games, and owning IPs

Xav

Don't let the Legend of Korra/Ninja Turtles director/team direct another Platinum Games title.

Those guys are harming Platinum Games' reputation.

kunonabi

Source: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/atsushi-inaba-platinum-has-no-future-without-its-own-ips

There's more from the interview at the link.

Partial Summary:
  • Inaba notes that they're currently working on licensed games like The Legend of Korra because they need to, but in the long term they want to be independent.
  • "The company doesn't really have a future unless we develop our own original IPs."
  • Platinum currently owns none of the IPs they've worked on, including Scalebound, despite being partnered with Microsoft, who often lets developers keep their IPs.
  • Inaba implies that Platinum would like to develop and self publish their own IPs at some point. Obviously you need money to do that though. I put the full quote below.
  • "Because we don't have our own original IP, we don't have the chance to develop it, publish it. We're not used to the cycle of making one," Inaba says. "We're trying to get used to the cycle of making sequels."
  • When asked if he considers Platinum to be part of the Japanese indie scene, Inaba replies: "Platinum is becoming bigger, so we're kind of in a limbo. But I feel like Platinum is part of that community."
    [*]"When we first started, we had a lot more freedom to create what we wanted, but now we're working more with the community, listening to what they have to say, and keeping open those lines of communication."
  • "Of course we want games that sell five or six million copies, but once you start focusing on sales, we lose some of that freedom. So right now we're focused on both."
  • Inaba gave a non-answer when asked if they were making any original IPs that they own.
  • Inaba didn't seem to provide any answers about how they intend to ever actually fund a self owned IP, much less self publish it.

That's pretty depressing and sadly unavoidable these days.

Hiltz

Wasn't W101 initially going to be a Mario game of some sort?
Platinum asked Nintendo if it could make an action game that would feature various classic Nintendo mascot characters that basically used the gameplay concept the finalized game would use, such as the Unite Morph mechanic. However, When Platinum showed off a visual concept for the proposed game, Nintendo producer Hitoshi Yagami felt that it wasn't practical, cohesive concept to use Nintendo characters for. When Platinum came back to Nintendo which resulted in what the finalized game would look like by using original super heroe characters instead, Nintendo approved of the concept, albeit save for the initial darker art direction.

Don't let the Legend of Korra/Ninja Turtles director/team direct another Platinum Games title.

Those guys are harming Platinum Games' reputation.

Yeah. I wasn't very surprised with how TMNT turned out once I saw that Eiro Shirahama was directing it. Transformers on the other hand had the director of freaking Metal Gear Rising behind it so yeah.

I'm very interested in what exactly Kamiya does next. So far he's been able to work solely on original games and since Okami there has been over 3 years between his games.

Which publisher would give him over three years to work on a new IP? Sony comes to mind but I don't think Sony needs to. Maybe WB? They did publish Lollipop Chainsaw a while ago.

Shame that they have to rely on so much licensed work. The Activision deal was probably good for them, but at one point they were working on like 6 games and they shouldn't spread themselves too thin.
TMNT and Korra are titles that can damage their reputation, some people latched on to it to say "PG is done! Let's stop asking them to make anything!" Which I don't think is too fair.
PG is probably my favorite 3rd party audio so I hope they can work things out to stay afloat and always have enough work to be healthy.
I think titles like NeiR of that size (smaller than Scalebound with a publisher with an established fanbase) is a good direction for Platinum. They've been perfecting their action combat system so maybe adding more things to it like an Action RPG could bring in new audiences while pleasing their fanbase

Sesha

Platinum has everything they need to make successful new IPs that they own, but if they only try to make games on the scale that they are used to, they're not getting anywhere with that.

With their track records and Japan market now a day, seem there is no future for them on console gaming. Let alone creating new IP.

Platinum's games mostly sell in the West.

Kyuur

It's kind of bizarre that they don't own IP when I associate so many with them: Bayonetta, W101 and Scalebound all 'feel' like they are theirs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think the concern is more that it's really hard to sign up with a Western publisher as a Japanese studio, so they're quite possibly at the mercy of the interests of Japanese publishers.

We've seen what Activision is willing to fund from them, and I don't think there's any guarantee that Scalebound 2 is happening when Sunset Overdrive 2 and Quantum Break 2 don't seem to be.

I'm very interested in what exactly Kamiya does next. So far he's been able to work solely on original games and since Okami there has been over 3 years between his games.

Which publisher would give him over three years to work on a new IP? Sony comes to mind but I don't think Sony needs to. Maybe WB? They did publish Lollipop Chainsaw a while ago.

He's working with Microsoft right now.

I'm more interested in what Saito does next. Best up and coming game director they have there, easily. Prefer his work to Kamiya's there too.

Scum

Once inside man Tatsuya Minami makes it to the very top at NCL, PlatinumGames will have one big publisher on their list.

But going full on digital should happen, though.

Kanann

Platinum has everything they need to make successful new IPs that they own, but if they only try to make games on the scale that they are used to, they're not getting anywhere with that.

But still not much, not enough.
They need million(s).

Skulldead

When asked if he considers Platinum to be part of the Japanese indie scene, Inaba replies: "Platinum is becoming bigger, so we're kind of in a limbo. But I feel like Platinum is part of that community."

Hoooooo, indie scene, limbo....

sorry this is stupid...

AmuroChan

Wow, I'm kind of shocked that they don't own Scalebound given how MS usually lets studios keep the IP.

Well, maybe only studios that actually have some leverage in the negotiations. Insomniac doesn't necessarily need MS's money and they've never had strong ties with them. They could've told MS point blank no deal unless they get to keep the IP. Platinum doesn't have the leverage. They need the money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, maybe only studios that actually have some leverage in the negotiations. Insomniac doesn't necessarily need MS's money and they've never had strong ties with them. They could've told MS point blank no deal unless they get to keep the IP. Platinum doesn't have the leverage. They need the money.

Right, this is Microsoft putting in insurance on a risky project instead of them trying to court a somewhat more (financially) prominent developer to make an exclusive.

Sesha

I think the concern is more that it's really hard to sign up with a Western publisher as a Japanese studio, so they're quite possibly at the mercy of the interests of Japanese publishers.

We've seen what Activision is willing to fund from them, and I don't think there's any guarantee that Scalebound 2 is happening when Sunset Overdrive 2 and Quantum Break 2 don't seem to be.

I'm thinking more in terms of making games as an independent developer. They have a dedicated Western audience that will buy almost anything they make. But yeah as a A(A(A) developer in the console space they seem stuck. The only option for making big(ger) games as I can see it is develop a smaller title and work with someone like Deep Silver, Paradox or GameStop.

But still not much, not enough.
They need million(s).

For Bayonetta/Vanquish/MGR-scale games, yes. Not if they made something on the scale of Furi.

I just want a Capcom X Platinum joint venture on DMC5.

Or even better, Bayonetta X DMC. Sega and Capcom are buds right? :(

Bayonetta x DMC seems like a better idea. There's little to no benefit in Capcom working with Platinum on DMC5. They have a proven team and a director already.

David___

Banned
Wow, I'm kind of shocked that they don't own Scalebound given how MS usually lets studios keep the IP.
Pretty sure they mentioned that Sunset Overdrive was going to be the last game they let devs keep the IP for and going foward they plan to own the IP they fund unless something changed.

Ridley327

Sort of makes them sound like they're not in a really great position or necessarily in the best of shape.

They're one of the few true independent developers of their size in Japan, an industry that arguably has no use anything like that. I do think that Nintendo will work with them again in the future, if not on an original title, but they're not exactly in a great position otherwise, barring another WTF decision like Nier Automata. Which could happen yet! But I don't think Platinum is in a position right now to operate on hopes and dreams.

I really don't know what the best path forward is for them.

Sesha

Welp, with the exceptions of few already existing-IPs, their games are always quite ambitious.

Which is why if they want to own their IPs they should try making something a lot smaller, as there are way more options that way. Look at Furi for an example of a Platinum-like game on a small scale. There's nothing suggesting they can't do it. They have way more staff than some devs like Double Fine. If Insomniac is able to make smaller games in between Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet and Clank, and Spider-Man, they should be able to do it too.

jett

D-Member
I wonder why they have never worked with Sony. They seem to work with everybody. Frankly at this point I think that their sales director is their real MVP. :p Or maybe these were all high-level deals done by Minami.

Sesha

I wonder why they have never worked with Sony. They seem to work with everybody. Frankly at this point I think that their sales director is their real MVP. :p Or maybe these were all high-level deals done by Minami.

Maybe Sony is a bit pretensious. Most of their first and second-party exclusives are either "serious" or artsy-looking games or established IPs.

bman94

I've been saying this a lot recently, if Nintendo wants a piece of that hardcore demographic they have to be aggressive. If Nintendo got Platinum and Ubisoft they'd have a guaranteed market of hardcore fans. These companies need some creative freedom and recently Nintendo has been very good on letting their second party studios do their own thing.

Which is why if they want to own their IPs they should try making something a lot smaller, as there are way more options that way. There's nothing suggesting they can't do it. They have way more staff than some devs like Double Fine. If Insomniac is able to make smaller games in between Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet and Clank, and Spider-Man, they should be able to do it too.

I don't doubt that, but it struck me that they rather would self-publish games a la Bayo/TW101/Scalebound in their dream scenario.

MacTag

Banned
Sony doesn't seem that interested in Japanese development anymore. SIE is essentially a western publisher at this point.

Peltz

I've been saying this a lot recently, if Nintendo wants a piece of that hardcore demographic they have to be aggressive. If Nintendo got Platinum and Ubisoft they'd have a guaranteed market of hardcore fans. These companies need some creative freedom and recently Nintendo has been very good on letting their second party studios do their own thing.
Ubisoft? Pretty lofty acquisition there...

Sesha

I don't doubt that, but it struck me that they rather would self-publish games a la Bayo/TW101/Scalebound in their dream scenario.

That's how I read it too. But we all know that's not gonna happen unless by some miracle someone like Notch gave them $20-30m and said "make whatever".

Sony doesn't seem that interested in Japanese development anymore. SIE is essentially a western publisher at this point.

Bloodborne/From Software, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, KojiPro/Death Stranding, that rumored AAA JRPG. Not to mention partnerships with several third parties. They have plenty of eggs in the Japanese development basket still.

Wonder how long it will take for them to get bought like Grasshopper Manufacture were by GungHo. Guess they really are the last independant Japanese dev of that size not owned by a big corporation.

That's how I read it too. But we all know that's not gonna happen unless by some miracle someone like Notch gave them $20-30m and said "make whatever".

Bloodborne/From Software, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, KojiPro/Death Stranding, that rumored AAA JRPG. Not to mention partnerships with several third parties. They have plenty of eggs in the Japanese development basket still.

Yeah, don't know what he's talking about, Sony are all in on Japanese game development again now.
Not forgetting Rez VR (Rez Infinite) and Gran Turismo!

Jeffrey

Actually kinda curious if they could do a modern money maker game that hits the right bullet points tied to streaming and esports and all that.

A kick ass multiplayer successful multiplayer something with platinum combat.

I would watch esports.

Datschge

From don't own Souls either so what's the comparison there?
From actually does own the Dark Souls games and self-publishes them in Japan.
(At this point the comparison is moot for a different reason though, as From is now no longer independent but owned by Kadokawa, one of the biggest media conglomerates in Japan.)

PG wants their independence even if it means having to make TMNT games. Ubisoft isn't a reasonable prediction, they're a massive acquisition who's trying to fight off a hostile take over

Would be cool to see Platinum make something small and downloadable as a way to grow a IP portfolio. Something on the scale of what Gamestop seems to be interested in publishing with Song of the Deep / Insomniac. Of course it would have to be made by good platinum and not bad platinum.

Other then that I cant see much changing in PG's future big boxed scene. Their games always come it a catch that seem to stunt a lot of potential success.

David___

Banned
(At this point the comparison is moot for a different reason though, as From is now no longer independent but owned by Kadokawa, one of the biggest media conglomerates in Japan.)

They dont own Dark Souls.

"It seems like there was a misunderstanding in a previous interview in relation to a remake or a remastering of the game, so let me reiterate here," he tells GameSpot in a new interview. "The Dark Souls series is Bandai Namco Entertainment's IP, and Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is Sony Interactive Entertainment's IP. Hence, the decision to do a remake or remastering is under their jurisdiction.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...nother-deve/1100-6441637/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Champion

All of their games are funded and published by other companies so nothing here is surprising. I'm actually surprised that they've lasted this long when you consider that and how their games sell.

Oh, my b. Apologies for the misinformation.

Atomski

I feel like they need to stop doing exclusives. They make niche games.. they need to have the broadest market to make a profit.

Ridley327

I think there's less of a call for Sony to work with a developer known primarily for big character action games when Sony themselves own and operate the biggest character action game out there, both in critical acclaim and definitely sales.

Now, there could be more of a hole to fill now that God of War is taking the direction that it is, but by and large, Sony isn't terribly interested in genre overlap these days. It's basically the same reason why you don't see any publisher looking at them to make Vanquish 2, as everyone has their own big third-person shooter these days.

_machine

Nothing surprising here, but it's very sad to see them in such a tough situation. They are simply too large and focused to suddenly start developing very small titles, and even still they need to pull in millions of funding, and the business prospects for "small" titles aren't very good with the polarization of the market, and the fact that even their brand can't necessarily compete with some of the "lightning in a bottle" type of indie games.

Top Bottom