• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

I agree that the areas were fantastic, but I think i'm not the only one that was disappointed that they weren't interconnected. I'd like to have found hidden passages that somehow connected each one, so it felt like a big, unified hyrule, not 3 hub levels. Sure, that doesn't actually affect the game, but, for some reason, when the world feels interconnected, people seem to like it more. Take dark souls, for example. I think the shortcut finding in that game was what really made some people love it.

Yeah, they need to continue to design the areas like Skyward Sword (minus the sky) but make them all connected. I understand why they made you go back to Skyloft every time, it was the hub, you needed to go back for story and they wanted you to know when new side quests popped up, but the sky was sooooo empty .

Marlowe89

I'd rather them continue to incorporate an open design instead of the corridor-like one in Skyward Sword. Which obviously means that not everyone is going to satisfied with the overworld layout.

I'd rather them continue to incorporate an open design instead of the corridor-like one in Skyward Sword. Which obviously means that not everyone is going to satisfied with the overworld layout.

Skyward Sword's were anything but corridors, unless you only played up through the very first part of the Faron Woods. Eldin and Lanayru were both mostly open and rather large and even Faron opens up after the very first part.

Marlowe89

Skyward Sword's were anything but corridors, unless you only played up through the very first part of the Faron Woods. Eldin and Lanayru were both mostly open and rather large and even Faron opens up after the very first part.

Faron and Eldin still felt too enclosed for my liking, which is why I said they were corridor-esque. By "open", I mean something along the lines of Lanayru's sand sea or the sky area. I want vast fields.

Yeah, I kind of do. I definitely enjoyed it in Wind Waker. What's wrong with that?

Does EVERYTHING have to be super dense and clustered together?

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, but the Great Sea worked better than an open field due to the fact that it was a sea and not a field. Hyrule Field(TP) and The Sky are both empty and boring.

Phantom Hourglass...
tumblr_mysk5veP3J1qzp9weo2_r1_250.gif

Phantom Hourglass is smaller.
And not good.

Marlowe89

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, but the Great Sea worked better than an open field due to the fact that it was a sea and not a field. Hyrule Field(TP) and The Sky are both empty and boring.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it was because of the geography at all. The Sky had an inherent design flaw in that you couldn't explore for shit because there was almost nothing to find. It was just a bunch of floating rocks, the majority of which you couldn't even land on.

Hindl

I kinda want Windwaker 2 to happen. Bigger ocean, more islands to explore...

I really liked the cel-shaded look and WW HD looks phenomenal. I can only imagine that style built from the ground up. Though they said they weren't going too cartoony or realistic. An expansion of SS artstyle would also be appreciated

Zarovitch

The next Zelda will feature a big ocean like Wind Waker, but you control the level of the ocean. All the map will be a big Water Temple. ;)

here is a list of past nintendo conference summary rumours that have come true:

There have been a few, actually. Off the top of my head...

1. Retro developing DKCR was leaked before the 2010 conference

2. The touch-screen concept of the Wii U was leaked

3. Skyward Sword being a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess hybrid graphically was leaked.

I'm sure there's many others.

Huh?

Neo Member
I don't want another Wind Waker. I've never played the Wii U version so that could be different enough I'd love it, but I think Wind Waker is somewhat overrated. I liked Twilight Princess' world just fine, because the terrain was more varied in the field and became even more so when you got into the different areas like Death Mountain or Lake Hylia/Zora's River. I also felt the main quest had a lot of variety of what it made you do between dungeons, which made up for the poor side quests a bit.

I still can't really picture a game like ALBW in a wholly 3D space like a console game, though, the bigger you make a game the more open space there will naturally be, and I actually felt ALBW was a bit of a shallower experience in some areas than I wanted it to be, so I really hope they don't just make "ALBW but on Wii U". I also don't want a game like GTA but Zelda, as I've seen some people say they want. I'd rather a smaller world that you can interact with more fully than a world like GTA's but in Hyrule. I'm sure someone's mentioned something like this but I can't read through the entire thread, I think it'd be cool if they gave NPCs and shops a daily or weekly schedule like MM, rather than just a day or night thing. I wouldn't want them to totally rip MM off and include the "catastrophe within a certain time" bit, but at least having the characters do different things throughout the day would be cool, even if it wasn't as deep as MM's version. Ramble finished.

He's done so on many occasions. In fact, one of the reasons I love Iwata is the way he readily talks about where they mess up.

The fact that you like a corporate leader because he regularly admits to his mistakes means he's doing something wrong. One or two mistakes? I can see that. But he can't keep up with the same humble routine. As a money-making entity, it's probably not in your best interest to fail.

Riki

3. Skyward Sword being a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess hybrid graphically was leaked.

1. was leaked by IGN just before E3. It wasn't a rumor at all.
2. Was leaked by reputablr Japanese news sites. Again, not a rumor.
3. Was pure luck based on the art we saw from E3.

Looking forward to the Smash tournament. I wonder if all the characters will be available or if more characters will be announced afterwards.

Man, I wish I didn't want Isaac in the game so bad. :(

Zarovitch

A waterless Zelda please. We went to the ocean and to the sky, it's time for Space Zelda.

Or this time Link will be able to dig. Kind of 3d Dig Dug gameplay to find secret path, town etc.... It take place some years after the eruption of the Death Montain and Hyrule is bury under ash and dirt.

Qurupeke

Or this time Link will be able to dig. Kind of 3d Dig Dug gameplay to find secret path, town etc.... It take place some years after the eruption of the Death Montain and Hyrule is bury under ash and dirt.
Brown and grey will be the dominating colours. Yup, this will be the next gen Zelda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

None of these are conference summaries. They were individual points leaked by various outlets and reliable insiders/journos within the window leading up to E3. They're also all, with the exception of Donkey Kong, fairly straightforward things.

The list I was mocking is your typical dribble that is shit out across forums every single E3, event, showcase, whatever, in which Nintendo has a presence. Some guy knows a guy who has a friend who works at some position either at the event or at a regional Nintendo branch and somehow they have a point-by-point summary of the entire bloody conference which conveniently includes detailed specifics regarding wishful thinking announcements/software/franchise coupled with vague "AND THEN THERE IS A BIG SURPRISE" promises.

I don't know why people humour them as even marginally legitimate, because they never, ever, ever are. Ever.

Like that time he said it was a mistake to have a software drought with the Gamecube and that it would never happen on another one of their systems again.
And then it did, multiple times.

Admitting mistakes and being able to rectify them are two completely separate things.

I never said they have been the best in fixing mistakes.

Asbear

Banned
So you want more Twilight Princess Hyrule Field nothingness?

Pretty much how I feel as well. Why are so many complaining about the more linear Skyward Sword-esque level designs when TP basically had nothing outside of its dungeons. The overworld in TP was really disappointing and just.. useless whenever there wasn't anything going on with the story. I remember thinking "Wow, I wonder what those weird owl-statues are for" when I saw them, but ultimately every unique thing you see is just a part of the main-quest in the overworld. There's nothing interesting to find once you start exploring outside of 2 or 3 side-quests. IMO it's just way too big for what content it offers.

Skyward Sword on the other hand... it actually felt like the more original Zelda game. I prefer Twilight Princess's artstyle and storytelling, but somehow I appreciate the effort Nintendo put into Skyward Sword more, because it was a much more original game.

RagnarokX

I agree that the areas were fantastic, but I think i'm not the only one that was disappointed that they weren't interconnected. I'd like to have found hidden passages that somehow connected each one, so it felt like a big, unified hyrule, not 3 hub levels. Sure, that doesn't actually affect the game, but, for some reason, when the world feels interconnected, people seem to like it more. Take dark souls, for example. I think the shortcut finding in that game was what really made some people love it.

Don't get me wrong. Of course it would be fantastic if the areas were interconnected like that. But I don't understand why it's a point against Skyward Sword when mechanically they handled it no differently from any 3D Zelda. 3D Zelda you always have a big empty hub world. In OoT it was Hyrule Field, MM Termina Field, WW Great Sea, TP Hyrule Field, SS the sky. And these big empty hubs have exits to linear themed areas like Death Mountain, Snowhead, Dragonroost Island, and Eldin Volcano. Usually these linear areas are about as empty as the overworlds as well. What I really appreciated about the work Skyward Sword put into the themed areas was just how massive they were and how they interconnected within themselves. Like going around Eldin Volcano and how all the paths loop around and you make shortcuts (it's an impressive use of space) or how you can see areas in each one that you know you'll visit later (the door to Lake Floria, the too hot chamber in the volcano, the caves in the desert).

I won't argue that the sky wasn't a big disappointment. It was. But so was Hyrule Field in TP, and really, Hyrule Field in OoT and Termina Field in Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask is the only Zelda before Skyward Sword to really put some meat into the linear themed areas.

Hindl

:(

Oh they already said that? Hmmm. I'm fine either way. I just want mah Zelda.

Yeah here's the quote, interpret it as you will:
Eiji Aonuma said:
In an interview with Nintendo Life, Aonuma was asked if the game will have a fantastical look. He responded: "The thing about Zelda is we want everything to be unique, whether it's the graphical presentation or the gameplay. It has to be something you can't see anywhere else. We wouldn't want it to be ultra-realistic because you can see that elsewhere. But I can't say that it's going to be cartoony-realistic like you mentioned, the fantastic presentation that we've already done in the past. It will be something new."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...ant-zelda-wii-u-to-be-ultra-realistic-aonuma/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You know, people say I should be disappointed in the overworld of TP, but I wasent,infact I loved it, to death.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Who is dsp?

Look up "This is how you DON'T play MGS2/MGS3/Dark Souls/Final Fantasy X/The Last of Us/Jak & Daxter/Sly Cooper/etc." to get an idea of who and what he is.

Basically, he's a YouTube gamer that sucks at every game, never takes criticism, and is insanely annoying.

Sorry to continue on the Zelda discussion, but because art styles and design were mentioned up above, I quickly threw this little comparison together. It's mainly to show a graphical timeline of what "ultra-realistic" and "cartoony" may blend to what we could end up seeing. It doesn't include every game (and one picture isn't even from a Zelda game) nor is it the most accurate representation, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on what comes to mind by looking at it.

Jigolo

Sorry to continue on the Zelda discussion, but because art styles and design were mentioned up above, I quickly threw this little comparison together. It's mainly to show a graphical timeline of what "ultra-realistic" and "cartoony" may blend to what we could end up seeing. It doesn't include every game (and one picture isn't even from a Zelda game) nor is it the most accurate representation, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on what comes to mind by looking at it.

What is this I picture for ants? I'm currently playing through WWHD for the first time (awesome game btw) and I really do dig the art style. But I'm hoping Zelda U does something more realistic.

This picture sums it up pretty well.
TheNintimeline.png

Definitely something like SS or OoT. I'd be totally fine with the style they showed off in the tech demo.

Top Bottom