• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So I decided to burn a few minutes and go through that list of games from the first year. Here's what I came up with:

Total initial install size for PS3 compatible games: 173GB
Total initial install size for PSV compatible games: 20GB

Does not count space required to install or post-install patches. (I'm looking at you, Payday.) Figures are based on numbers reported by the web version of the PS Store.

10 Biggest PS3 PS+ Games June 2012 - May 2013
  1. Super Street Fighter IV (17.9GB)
  2. Infamous 2 (14.0GB)
  3. Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (13.7GB)
  4. Vanquish (11.6GB)
  5. Darksiders (10.0GB)
  6. BioShock 2 (9.1GB)
  7. Demon’s Souls (8.0GB)
  8. Resident Evil 5 (7.4GB)
  9. Just Cause 2 (7.3GB)
  10. Sleeping Dogs (7.1GB)

That's 100GB just for these games...

Cudder

Replaced the HDD with a random 160GB HDD I got from a dead laptop. Worked just fine.

Wow I just realized I have a 250GB drive from a dead Macbook pro laying around that I can use. Would be quite the upgrade from 80. Is using the transfer data utility easy enough for changing hard drives? How does it work?

Wow I just realized I have a 250GB drive from a dead Macbook pro laying around that I can use. Would be quite the upgrade from 80. Is using the transfer data utility easy enough for changing hard drives? How does it work?
It's very easy, you just go to settings, select the backup tool and choose "make backup". I believe the external HDD have to be formatted as FAT32. After you have replaced your HDD you go to the same backup menu and select restore data.

Cudder

It's very easy, you just go to settings, select the backup tool and choose "make backup". I believe the external HDD have to be formatted as FAT32. After you have replaced your HDD you go to the same backup menu and select restore data.

I don't think I actually even need to keep any data that's on my drive. The only thing would be my game saves, but I have the last year's worth of saves in the cloud.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
Have to agree, been umming and arring on ps+ for a few months until the 30th of last month. Figured I need to get it for my pre-order PS4 anyway.

What a service, some great offerings in the Uk front this month. Its given me a chance to play games I haved missed like last months Catherine and beleive it or not I missed Ico through previous generations.

I just hope the offerings continue once the PS4 is launched even if its still PS3 games.

I pay for Xbox gold for my son, and I question even more now.........why?????

I don't think I actually even need to keep any data that's on my drive. The only thing would be my game saves, but I have the last year's worth of saves in the cloud.
I deleted all my local game files before using the backup tool. If it's just save games then the process is quite fast.

khaaan

Advise me GAF!
Uncharted 3 collectors edition. $30, everything inside is new/sealed but the box itself is beat up. I have never played this game, I do have ps+, I do not have HDD space for the actual game though.

Should add that I have no interest in multiplayer so the dlc is of no importance to me.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Picked up this baller hard drive today: http://microcenter.com/product/4013...ATA_60Gbps_25_Internal_Hard_Drive_Kit_0S03563

Just finished installing it in my PS3. Wow, that was easier than I expected. Takes like 3 minutes. Now to update the software via USB!

I need me one of these so bad. Had a friend over who wanted to play LittleBigPlanet 2. Thought I would be clever and download it before she came over. We still had to sit through 30 minutes of patch updates. And navigating through the download list is a nightmare.

Carl

From last thread:
8dF1z6Q.png

Wow, didn't expect to be at the top. Oops!

Anyway, i am so behind in my PS+ games it's ridiculous ;_;

Is that all the July games up now in the EU? No more games coming till next month?

I get confused, as sometimes games get added later in the month.

kuYuri

There are definitely lots of awesome free games from PS+, although the majority of them I either own, don't care about, or have it on another platform (usually Steam). Still, the occasional free game that I don't have (so glad for Vanquish), plus all of the discounts and other little freebies pays itself, as well as the useful cloud saves and auto-download.

Totally wish I had a Vita to take advantage of all the free Vita games.

Roto13

There are definitely lots of awesome free games from PS+, although the majority of them I either own, don't care about, or have it on another platform (usually Steam). Still, the occasional free game that I don't have (so glad for Vanquish), plus all of the discounts and other little freebies pays itself, as well as the useful cloud saves and auto-download.

Totally wish I had a Vita to take advantage of all the free Vita games.

All according to keikaku.

*goes back to Virtue's Last Reward*

Any chance the BF3 Premium pass is discounted to correlate with its release on PS+? $50 is just way too much, especially when the disc version is ten dollars cheaper

Bought a PS3 with the PS+ bundle about a month or two ago... First time since FF XII on PS2 that I've had an active console at home. Played a fair bit of Wii since everyone seems to have one but I've never played a 360 and had only played a PS3 for about ten minutes before at a friends (he had GT5 and I gave it a shot since we breathed GT1 day and night back in school).

And honestly the most enjoyable and satisfying part of the PS3 so far has been PS+... In a way, it should be a no brainer. I grew up on PC gamer and one of the best things of getting a new Voodoo card was downloading the newest games on the old CNet website. So, free demos and trials online isn't exactly revolutionary but it's new to me on consoles. I haven't even needed to buy any games. I mean, I've got so many trials and demos that my HDD was full in a few weeks and even playing every night after dinner I've barely scratched 1/4th of them. And especially when I've got free games like Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, and XCom -- talk about introducing games to great experiences they may not have considered to look into.

I have no idea what any other consoles, whether last gen at the end (I never took my Xbox or PS2 online, all I did was play FF XII, Suikoden 5, and Fable) or the 360 offer. I'm sure Live is great and when i had time for hardcore PC gaming I loved Steam. But I wasn't expecting access to such a large library of games on PS3 (1990-2005, Japanese consoles made me think jRPGs not online gaming) -- even as demos or trials, which as a casual gamer now that's honestly all I need for most of these games. And even the rare game that I would buy, such as XCom or Sleeping Dogs, coincidentally enough those were free, too. That's a byproduct of entering the generation late and it won't repeat if I get a PS4 at launch, but that doesn't change how satisfied I am with my purchase and the product (or service?) I'm receiving, enough so that I'm being sold on their next-gen service. Similar to Steam, something I've used since it launched because of HL2, most important is that I'm feeling I get good value and that every week I'm finding a value suprise -- a sale or a trial to something unexpected. And that's the value for me. And as someone that has went from the quality of my Quake latency being the cornerstone of my online gaming when I was young to simply wanting ease-of-access and value in downloading a variety of games, I'm impressed by PS+ so far. And I was surprised to see it on Playstation -- honnestly i only bought the console for GTA 4/5. Never planned to play any othher games (too busy). but i haven't been able to resist: just too many and too easily. The thread title is fitting, I thought -- it's basically what I've thought every evening when I consider which new game to try.

jsnepo

USB 2 probably isn't fast enough? If the drive is 2.5" you can use it anyway. (You can use a external 3.5" with a s-ata extension cable as well, might work with e-sata drives?)

Not true. Games can be played on an external HDD using CFW.

I decided to keep my UK PS+ code. It was only $54, after all. Surely it will pay for itself within the year even if it's just useful for the PS3 games. $104 a year for PS+ in both the US and UK. Gonna have a serious motherfucking collection in 12 months. :D

Gadirok

I really hope Sony allows us to get back on missed months one way or another :/

Yeah. Dat Spyro trilogy and Crash trilogy I missed out on :(

Those PSone games seemed delicious. I just signed up a few months before the instant game collection started.

But PS+ let me decide to pick up the sly cooper trilogy after I tried out sly 1. And made me realize Far Cry 2 was bad. Thank you PS+.

NJShadow

Cost isn't really the issue, I just already have an external drive I don't really use that I could just plug in right now.

Do you have all media, like music and movies, moved to the external? I've got a 1TB external that I used for the actual transition from 60GB to 250GB and then eventually 500GB. Regardless of whether or not you upgrade, having all non-essential media on the external makes sense.

Now that I finished Last of Us, I can attack my PS+ backlog! Instead ... I downloaded $30 worth of tables from Pinball Arcade. One of the Elvira tables looks like complete shit for some reason.

Do you have all media, like music and movies, moved to the external? I've got a 1TB external that I used for the actual transition from 60GB to 250GB and then eventually 500GB. Regardless of whether or not you upgrade, having all non-essential media on the external makes sense.

I don't have any media on my PS3.

Yeah. Dat Spyro trilogy and Crash trilogy I missed out on :(

Those PSone games seemed delicious. I just signed up a few months before the instant game collection started.

But PS+ let me decide to pick up the sly cooper trilogy after I tried out sly 1. And made me realize Far Cry 2 was bad. Thank you PS+.
I would welcome some PS1 games on Plus. I missed out during the early days.

Jubern

Subscribed! I've been enjoying PS+ since the renewal last year and don't regret it one bit. Especially now that I got a Vita, I had put all the games in my download list and have been enjoying my dozen or so "free" games, don't need to buy anything else for now!

Jedi2016

For those looking to free up space for your new games, don't forget to check the "Game Data" section. That's where all the installs and updates for games get put. I was wondering where all my space was being used up, since I only had about 20GB worth of games installed, but it said the drive was starting to fill up (120GB drive). I cleared out about 30GB yesterday just by deleting installs for games that I haven't played in a while.

I know it seems obvious, but I never really worried about my HDD space before, and I only just signed up for PS+ the other day. I'll probably still "shuffle" games on and off the system as I play them, but at least I've got room for them.

Eusis

Any chance the BF3 Premium pass is discounted to correlate with its release on PS+? $50 is just way too much, especially when the disc version is ten dollars cheaper
Well, it is going on sale next week on Amazon for PC DD, so there's definitely a chance they'll eventually do similar on PSN, and I think they'd be fools NOT to just to get people raring for BF4 (but you want to do it far enough in advance they'd grow tired of it and want something new.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That would work for most of them. Some, like the files for Demon's Souls, have copy protection and will only work via the backup tool or the cloud.

Actually, that won't work if it's a different PS3. And, stupidly enough, PS1 saves won't work either. Believe me, I tried. I felt my PS3 was dying, so I backed up my entire PS3 data on an external HDD. A few days later my PS3 got the YLOD, and I got a new PS3, and I restored my data through their backup restore tool. Everything was fine, except my saves for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and the one PS1 game I had bought on PSN (Breath of Fire 4). Apparently the restoration tool doesn't work on PS1 games and copy-protected saves if you change PS3s. -_-

I would play my PS+ games but going through Last of Us right now lol.

Instead I used the discount to buy the Rachet and Clank collection.

Now I need to get A Crack in Time and then Force Unleashed 2 next week. $5 is too cheap to ignore.

randomkid

I can't stop adding games to my new JP PS+ trial account. Everything from Little Battlers to Rayman Origins to random Artdink games and I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface. LSD alone was worth the half an hour it took to get everything figured out.

Tizoc

Virtue's Last Reward was good, but I liked 999 more.
Wonder if 999's iOS release is for them to try and get the game to work on the Vita?

Top Bottom