• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

R6Rider

Gold Member
Bumping due to the recent State of Play PSVR2 announcements.

Looks like it will be off to a fantastic start.

From what was shown, RE Village and Saints & Sinners: Retribution are looking the best for me. I need to see more gameplay of Horizon.

Pejo

I didn't see anything on yesterday's SoP, but do we have any dates or prices or specs or any hard data on PSVR2 yet?

engstra

I waited to play RE8 in VR. Knew it was coming, if not I was going PCVR mod(which might still be the case.)

How does RE8 compare to RE7 in terms of the actual game and content? Similar length and quality or better?
Really enjoyed it, would say it's bigger in overall scale and a bit more action focused. Would definitely say it's more spooky than scary in comparison to RE7

Kev Kev

picked up some deals recently

i got rogue squadron, doom vfr, doom 3, dirt rally and moto racer 4.

i think dir rally and moto racer 4 are limited in what they offer for vr, but they were mega cheap so i picked them up to try them out and hopefully get some enjoyment out of them. im a sucker for anything vr, especially racing sims 🤤

so far rogue squadron is fantastic, doom vfr is WAY more fun than i thought it would be, and i still have the other 3 to try out today! very exciting.

oh and also, if you havent tried the wipeout omega collection demo on ps vr, do it!!! its fucking insane. the game cost $20, but its three games in one and from what the demo showed me its well worth your time and money. im waiting for a sale on that one, but im going to have to pick it up either way one of these days.

This was such a great moment. I can't wait to play it either.

dude i was leaning back in my computer chair watching when that came on and i literally almost threw myself up and out of the chair, both arms straight in the air screaming "YYEEESSS!!!!" when i realized in was re8 VR :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting: im so fuckin happy they are doing it tho fr. cant wait.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
and i still have the other 3 to try out today! very exciting.
I'm currently playing through Doom 3 VR right now and so far it's been great.

I should point out that it has an odd scaling issue and highly recommend changing the IPD to about half when playing. This will make the scaling be more accurate. Note to change this back when playing other games.

Kev Kev

I'm currently playing through Doom 3 VR right now and so far it's been great.

I should point out that it has an odd scaling issue and highly recommend changing the IPD to about half when playing. This will make the scaling be more accurate. Note to change this back when playing other games.
whats IPD and how do i change it?

Kev Kev

IPD is the distance between your pupils. In the settings for VR you can change this. It will have you take a picture of your face close up to the camera and adjust these markers to the center of your pupils.

Here is the video I followed to get it to half:

awesome, thanks!

Kev Kev

ugh, the aiming in doom 3 is ruining the game for me :messenger_weary:

it was going so great but i just hate using motion controls for aiming (using a DS4, and no im not getting an aim controller for this). i think im simply just not going to be able to go on. ill try, but its not looking good atm.

resident evil 7 did aiming beautifully. borderlands 2 felt amazing, skyrim works wonderfully, hell even doom vfr although a little weird how your weapon moved with your head so 1:1 felt pretty great too! but this setup in doom 3 does not work at all for me.

what do you guys think about motion controls? do you like waving your arms around? holding them up like its a real gun? having to actually pick things up in the game world? similarly, how do you feel about standing and playing vr?

personally, i like to lay back in my bed, pillows behind me so im like half way sitting up, with a controller in my lap. the same way i would game with flatscreen, in fact. i dont want to move at all, i dont want to stand, i dont want to pick things up and do all that. its kind of tedious and tiring, i dont know why this is a thing that people want.

R6Rider

Gold Member

it was going so great but i just hate using motion controls for aiming (using a DS4, and no im not getting an aim controller for this). i think im simply just not going to be able to go on. ill try, but its not looking good atm.

resident evil 7 did aiming beautifully. borderlands 2 felt amazing, skyrim works wonderfully, hell even doom vfr although a little weird how your weapon moved with your head so 1:1 felt pretty great too! but this setup in doom 3 does not work at all for me.

what do you guys think about motion controls? do you like waving your arms around? holding them up like its a real gun? having to actually pick things up in the game world? similarly, how do you feel about standing and playing vr?

personally, i like to lay back in my bed, pillows behind me so im like half way sitting up, with a controller in my lap. the same way i would game with flatscreen, in fact. i dont want to move at all, i dont want to stand, i dont want to pick things up and do all that. its kind of tedious and tiring, i dont know why this is a thing that people want.
Seems like you really don't want most of what VR offers. I love those things in VR, especially grabbing things, putting a new magazine in a weapon, etc.

As for standing, it depends on the game. If the game has lots of movement then I prefer standing, if not then sitting is fine.

Kev Kev

Seems like you really don't want most of what VR offers. I love those things in VR, especially grabbing things, putting a new magazine in a weapon, etc.

As for standing, it depends on the game. If the game has lots of movement then I prefer standing, if not then sitting is fine.
Man I just have no desire for it. I hope they try to include controller options wherever possible. Although it’d be impossible for certain applications. And it doesn’t help that my experience with the PS move controllers was so abysmal I just hate the idea of using motion controls as a principle lol. Maybe PSVR2 will make me a believer.

I found a good setup for doom 3 and enjoying it a bit more, I just can’t help but think aiming with the head would feel so much better with this particular game. Oh well, let’s see if I can get used to it.

Shmunter

You could use a few more wires, feeding tube, poopin tube….you’re set! 😊

Shmunter

Anybody think psvr2 resolution will be good enough for a quality theatre experience, where you can play games at imax size etc?

Kev Kev

its fun flying around in rogue squadron and being in the cockpit of an x wing and all, but they game they built around is just isnt very good :messenger_confused: i dont know whats going on most of the time and it keeps wanting me "regroup" lol to the point that im literally howl laughing at yet another regroup despite fact that it seems completely useless. and here i am defendinga star detroyer or whatever yet again, and it feels like i literally just did the same thing for the last 3 levels.

really disappointing so far. i dont really plan to play this online, id prob get my ass handed ot me if i did anyway, but maybe ill give the training a go.

Kev Kev

Anybody think psvr2 resolution will be good enough for a quality theatre experience, where you can play games at imax size etc?
i am looking forward to some really interesting ways to watch movies in VR with friends. instead of theatres you could be ont he surface of the moon with a giant ass screen prjected in front of you, all your friends and family with you, etc. hell we could even have GAF VR events where we all get together to watch E3 (rip) or whatever.

the future of VR is just so exciting.

Wonko_C

Dual Shock 4 aiming is the worst, they should give you the option for head aiming. I do have a PS Aim Controller though.

I won't say I ALWAYS prefer to play VR standing with motion controls. Sometimes just sitting (with or without motion controls) is fine if I feel lazy, but personally when I play standing, moving and turning around is much more fun and engaging than just pushing a button and watching an animation.

Kev Kev

sorry i keep blowing this thread up im on like a VR marathon rn lol

doom vfr is fucking great. like legit fucking fun as hell. its an absolute shame that they didnt VR-ify the whole game and Eternal as well. it would have been epic. my biggest turn off for eternal was how hectic and difficult it was. everything is so much easier in VR, i feel it could have alleviated those issues and been a perfect fit.

also with doom fvr, it could have been so much better if they had actual jumping instead of teleporting. at least you can move like normal, i was happy to discover that, and it feels great! but subbing the teleport gun in and taking jumping out was a bad call. it makes sense lore wise since your just a human, but it could have have been so much better if they kept it normal. *sigh*

despite all that tho, this game is fun as hell, and it includes a dozen or so classic maps that you can unlock!! finally i get to play the OG doom in VR. been something ive been wanting to do for a while now. but that also just pisses me off more because i would drop some cash on the OG doom 1 and 2 in PSVR. why havent they done these things!?!? (answer: money and not enough people want it yeah yeah yeah). but oh shit would that be amazing.

and that just gets me thinking about all the old games they could put in VR (if they can make it work, sometimes they dont translate to VR very well). there are so many classics that id pay for in VR.

Romulus

sorry i keep blowing this thread up im on like a VR marathon rn lol

doom vfr is fucking great. like legit fucking fun as hell. its an absolute shame that they didnt VR-ify the whole game and Eternal as well. it would have been epic. my biggest turn off for eternal was how hectic and difficult it was. everything is so much easier in VR, i feel it could have alleviated those issues and been a perfect fit.

also with doom fvr, it could have been so much better if they had actual jumping instead of teleporting. at least you can move like normal, i was happy to discover that, and it feels great! but subbing the teleport gun in and taking jumping out was a bad call. it makes sense lore wise since your just a human, but it could have have been so much better if they kept it normal. *sigh*

despite all that tho, this game is fun as hell, and it includes a dozen or so classic maps that you can unlock!! finally i get to play the OG doom in VR. been something ive been wanting to do for a while now. but that also just pisses me off more because i would drop some cash on the OG doom 1 and 2 in PSVR. why havent they done these things!?!? (answer: money and not enough people want it yeah yeah yeah). but oh shit would that be amazing.

and that just gets me thinking about all the old games they could put in VR (if they can make it work, sometimes they dont translate to VR very well). there are so many classics that id pay for in VR.

I personally like VFR better than eternal.

Kev Kev

Stupid question... did Sony ever mention PSVR2 being backwards compatible?
i dont think theyve made any definitive statements yet. my guess is no since the tech is different in the headset and controllers compared to PSVR1. perhaps some games will work, and others wont. or maybe the developers will have the option to make a PSVR1 game work with the PSVR2 headset. but either way, there are so many great new VR2 games coming out that i personally wont feel the need to looks back

Markio128

I’m really happy that PSVR2 comes with controllers as standard as it opens up all of the games from the get-go, unlike with PSVR1 and the need to buy the separate controllers, which were like rocking horse shit at the time.

The Resident Evil VR games will no doubt be winners, but that medieval survival game looked interesting as well. I haven’t tried NMS on PSVR1, so I’m looking forward to trying that as well. I really hope GT7 is getting a VR update.

engstra

Don't think I've seen anyone mention Puzzling Places on this thread yet. It's a game where you lay 3D jigsaw puzzles. It might legit be one of the best games on the platform. Just a super chill experience. Highly recommend

R6Rider

Gold Member
Don't think I've seen anyone mention Puzzling Places on this thread yet. It's a game where you lay 3D jigsaw puzzles. It might legit be one of the best games on the platform. Just a super chill experience. Highly recommend
Ah, man. Puzzling Places is fantastic! I need to play the additional puzzles they added.

ZoukGalaxy

Well yes, but if they have a common abstraction layer which simply returns player's location in the 3D space and the camera (= eyes) angle, then the tracking method shouldn't matter than much.
This.

Don't know why people are thinking otherwise. That's 100% possible. Your PC games doesn't care which controller you're using when playing a game: that could be exactly the same for PSVR/PSVR2, games are waiting positions and inputs. SONY could even make a wrapper and ALL the previous games will instantly benefit of the improved precision of the new tracking tech.
It's purely a SONY marketing decision.

Last edited:

wondermega

Haven't picked up a PSVR game in ages (or my PSVR for that matter, sadly) but I am due to. A Transformers game recently released, exclusive, about a week ago - anyone bitten on this? What's the word?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've had this on pcvr forever. I've blown lots of minds with it. I setup the bedroom like my childhood best friends room for his first VR experience. It melted his brain and that was before he tried Alyx.

How does that work?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony’s next generation virtual reality headset is on the horizon, and with it the promise of a much-improved experience over its predecessor. As it happens, early play testers are singing its praises, and with exciting VR only launch titles such as Horizon Call of the Mountain ready to immerse players, it may be that for those who can afford to stump up the cash PSVR2 might just be hitting a home run.

Sony have pretty much upgraded everything for their next VR headset, so here’re 15 of the biggest differences before PSVR2’s launch on 22nd February.

schaft0620

This looks awesome, but my money is already going to Zenith: The Last City tomorrow.
I have a few hundred hours in VR and have written reviews on OpenCritic, if I were to make a recommendation to someone on launch games to buy, here is where I would go. I did not like Zenith at all when it launched, it was very bad. IDK what its like now.

Horizon
Firewall
Resident Evil
Moss 1 & 2
Pistol Whip
Demeo
Walking Dead Saints and Sinners
Cities VR
GT7 (low on the list because I think its going to get a lot of people sick)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have a few hundred hours in VR and have written reviews on OpenCritic, if I were to make a recommendation to someone on launch games to buy, here is where I would go. I did not like Zenith at all when it launched, it was very bad. IDK what its like now.

Horizon
Firewall
Resident Evil
Moss 1 & 2
Pistol Whip
Demeo
Cities VR

3 of your top 4 are going to be my launch line-up set of games.

Crayon

Horizon
Firewall
Resident Evil
Moss 1 & 2
Pistol Whip
Demeo
Cities VR

How do you figure gt will make people sick?

R6Rider

Gold Member
How do you figure gt will make people sick?
The speed and windowed view can cause it.

Even though it's a game where you can sit, your character is essentially the car. Similarly to how Ace Combat 7 caused motion sickness really easily for many people.

Looking out of the car to either side while moving forward will also increase the chances of it being a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom