• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue hits Amazon devices, price drop announced, Chromecast coming soon

Cleve

Vue was great. If I didn't have to get tv bundled in with the 105bmit package from my cable company I'd drop it and get vue.

If they discounted your first year by like $10-15 then I think people would really jump in.

The new base price is pretty good but still pretty close to what you get as your initial rate through most cable providers. In year 2 Vue would be much more competitive

yyr

That thing only did 720p. It was basically a no screen Vita.

so they just tried to get as much out of the Vita R&D investment as they could.

For the purposes of PlayStation Vue, how is that a deal breaker?

Are you all aware that most TV broadcasts still aren't even 1080p? Most HDTV broadcasts today are still 720p or 1080i.

This is the same reason why buying a 4K TV is utterly pointless for at least the next 5 years, unless you want to buy a whole bunch of plastic discs, or have a blazingly fast Internet connection and are OK with dipping into a kiddie-sized content pool.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With Sony finally getting ESPN NETWORKS (Disney Content) and on many more devices, and slowly lowering the price..

man if they could just start providing internet...or buy an existing ISP.

PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Internet.. .bundle

with add-on services like PlayStation Now, Plus, etc.

WHERE?! It doesn't say this on their website.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That thing only did 720p. It was basically a no screen Vita.

so they just tried to get as much out of the Vita R&D investment as they could.

They need a new 1080p version with solid DS4 and new PS4 remote support. And drop the game slot stuff and focus it as a PS Vue, PS Now, PS4 streaming machine with Netflix and so forth apps included. Essentially like the Steam Link device for the Playstation environment.

Spoke with the wife and checked the channel listings and we will be moving from DTV to Core pretty soon.

It's a fantastic service and hey no outages during storms! Awesome

autoduelist

I am in one of the Vue's service areas and I am at $100 after all the fees a month for cable and Internet. So if subtract the $70 for Vue that stilll has less channels that leaves me $30 to get Internet. I got get Internet for $30. So it is the same for less channels?

Our directv package is over $100 a month alone, and we don't have any 'extra' channels [no hbo, etc], just a fairly standard multi-tv genie dvr package. And it's going to go up even more when our 'contract' is up.

And then we have internet on top of that, which is... another $60 or so.

As soon as PSVue comes to our area, we'll get that. And if it takes too long, we're cutting cable [well, satellite] and just going with 'ala cart' show buying via other services.

Spoke with the wife and checked the channel listings and we will be moving from DTV to Core pretty soon.

It's a fantastic service and hey no outages during storms! Awesome

Core? What's that... need to google. My wife wants to get rid of DTV every time she sees the bill. We enjoy the service overall but it's just way too expensive for our needs. We figured out how much it would cost to buy our shows off itunes or amazon or wherever ala cart and we'd save a bloody fortune.
This is a pretty great deal for some; i know it would be for our usage.

They need a new 1080p version with solid DS4 and new PS4 remote support. And drop the game slot stuff and focus it as a PS Vue, PS Now, PS4 streaming machine with Netflix and so forth apps included. Essentially like the Steam Link device for the Playstation environment.

That would make too much sense. Sony won't do it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Starting to get serious. Gotta give it a fair shake now.

Sony should really just drop the Playstation moniker and call it "Vue"

If it ever becomes a mainstay like Netflix or Hulu, then they they probably will.

Right now the PlayStation brand is huge, and it will help them more to have it there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sounds great but for those of us with data caps, this is pretty much out of the question, no?

Nafai1123

Banned
Awesome news. I'm a current Core subscriber and the service is pretty great. They really need to get the Android app out though. iOS only is BS.

Hi Sony,

Atlanta here. We are the among the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country, have the world's busiest airport, Google Fiber incoming soon, and some really great sports teams (Go Falcons, Braves, and Hawks!!). It'd be really nice if you gave us this service, starting yesterday.

Thanks!

- Atlanta

scitek

Hi Sony,

Atlanta here. We are the among the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country, have the world's busiest airport, Google Fiber incoming soon, and some really great sports teams (Go Falcons, Braves, and Hawks!!). It'd be really nice if you gave us this service, starting yesterday.

Thanks!

- Atlanta

You guys are for sure getting Google Fiber? I might have to move back there.

Get business internet from your provider. You'll pay more but you get more stable service and no data caps. :D

How do you do this? Do they make you actually prove you run a business from home?

Experien

Does Vue work in ANY city in the US but the Elite/special bundles only in select cities or is everything in select cities?

Lothars

Yeah especially since you need to usually pay the same provider for Internet and can save on a package deal.

You gotta be one of those "cable companies are evil" guys to really think this is a good deal. You can brag about it to everyone how you are sticking it to the man by "cutting the cord".
You seem like one of those guys that think cable companies do nothing wrong, Most people that have cable pay way more than what you pay.

I haven't paid for cable in many years and if this came to canada I would get this before cable. So you are out of touch with reality but hey keep cheering for your cable company.

jwk94

Does Vue work in ANY city in the US but the Elite/special bundles only in select cities or is everything in select cities?

It used to work in cities close to the verified cities but they closed that loophole so you have to live in one of the cities they offer the service.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Awesome news. I'm a current Core subscriber and the service is pretty great. They really need to get the Android app out though. iOS only is BS.

It probably will come. They have the PlayStation app on both iOS and Android. Just switched to Android after 6+ years with Apple. So far I am liking it a lot.

Koh

If it comes to my area, I'll split the cost with a family member. Two people can log on, similar to Netflix, right?

If so, it becomes a killer deal.

Nafai1123

Banned
If it comes to my area, I'll split the cost with a family member. Two people can log on, similar to Netflix, right?

If so, it becomes a killer deal.

IIRC up to 3 devices can use it at the same time (but only one PS4). I use it on my PS4 and my roommate uses it on his PS3. They even updated it to have unique user accounts so you can have your own favorite shows.

Agent X

How the fuck did they not push this with the Playstation TV box!?!?

If that little box had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and PS Vue streaming capabilities (on top of the existing PS Vita and PS Classics game support), Sony could have had a direct Roku 3 competitor with actual games support... Holy fuck at that missed opportunity.

You're absolutely right. It's ironic (and deplorable) that the PlayStation-branded "TV service" isn't available on the device that's actually named "PlayStation TV".

I already pay less for DirecTV service.

Not sure why I would go with this.

These cable/satellite alternative services need lower prices.

I just found out about this and new subscribers get a Fire TV Stick for free too. My Fire TV keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for ABC and Disney channels to be activated. As a long time DirecTV subscriber, still like the service, I'm giving this a go to see if it can replace it.

How the fuck did they not push this with the Playstation TV box!?!?

If that little box had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and PS Vue streaming capabilities (on top of the existing PS Vita and PS Classics game support), Sony could have had a direct Roku 3 competitor with actual games support... Holy fuck at that missed opportunity.
Yup. Baffling.

I had the service till a month ago when they updated the program and it started working like crap stuttering and not working well. The basic package was $49.99 they refused to answer support threads with anything other than we are working on it and nothing happened the whole while still charging.

I cancelled and went back to sling on my Amazon Fire devices which works perfect.

This was my expierience on a wired gigabit network with a nighthawk router and 105Mbps connection. It had many issues and their support was horrible.
I've only subscribed since they started offering Showtime a la carte, but watching "live" TV does seem really buggy; the broadcast just randomly jumps around, sometimes hours per leap. Watching stuff on demand works just fine. Anyone else notice this kind of stuff?

I wish, check this out. I pay $140 a month for internet, 225 channels, HBO and stars. If I drop the TV part, my internet goes to 80 dollars, its absurd. My only option is 3mb down DSL.
My cable company is my lone high-speed Internet provider, I'm so stuck with the bundle :(
Vue was great. If I didn't have to get tv bundled in with the 105bmit package from my cable company I'd drop it and get vue.
Our directv package is over $100 a month alone, and we don't have any 'extra' channels [no hbo, etc], just a fairly standard multi-tv genie dvr package. And it's going to go up even more when our 'contract' is up.

And then we have internet on top of that, which is... another $60 or so.
Sounds great but for those of us with data caps, this is pretty much out of the question, no?
I am in one of the Vue's service areas and I am at $100 after all the fees a month for cable and Internet. So if subtract the $70 for Vue that stilll has less channels that leaves me $30 to get Internet. I got get Internet for $30. So it is the same for less channels?
This is the case still for most people. Internet by itself is still expensive.
man if they could just start providing internet...
Nine times out of ten, that "great package deal" is a promotional offer that goes up in a year. And it doesn't include equipement renting prices (like the $5-10 a month for your HD DVR cable box).
Man defending companies like Comcast and Time Warner by shitting on a growing group of consumers... Nice one.
You guys should join my campaign to nationalize the telecommunication grid.

Top Bottom