• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

ffdgh

Backed! Couldn't pull out my money quick enough!

That David Wise "Jungle Challenge" tune: God tier!

I bet this breaks a million easy today. :)

I can't be the only one thinking Playtonic would be a good pick up for Nintendo, am I?

Watching the kickstarter and the funds go up in real time is amazing!

28goodman.xlarge1.jpg
Nah. The more the merrier.

I can't be the only one thinking Playtonic would be a good pick up for Nintendo, am I?

28goodman.xlarge1.jpg

What, and be Nintendo exclusive? That goes against the point of going to Kickstarter.

Wow, over £250,000 in little over an hour.

I kinda want to cry. This was the genre everyone thought was dead, but here it is...it's really happening!

Why should they limit their audience to Wii U owners? I really don't get this mentality.

They were smart to target PC and to a lesser extent PS4. The larger the audience the better. I'm willing to bet that most of the now grown up N64 audience is much more likely to be on PC/PS4/Xbone than Wii U at this point.

Struct09

My heart is extremely warmed that this funded so fast. Really can't wait to play the game, and the music provided so far is amazing.

AdanVC

28goodman.xlarge1.jpg

Even if I'm only a Wii U/3DS owner, I would prefer to see Playtonic working on multiple platforms so they can reach more people and they can get to know just how awesome 3D platformers can be if they are done right.

Holepunch

Backed.

I really hope they cut it off at $1 million. Last thing I want to see is them developing this game for the next decade because they have to deliver a 10 million dollar game when they thought they were going for a budgeted development. Please don't be like Barkley II.

They were smart to target PC and to a lesser extent PS4. The larger the audience the better. I'm willing to bet that most of the now grown up N64 audience is much more likely to be on PC/PS4/Xbone than Wii U at this point.

Exactly.
And console-exclusives should cease to exist. It's like wanting a sony-pictures movie to be watchable only on sony television sets.

Santar

Looks like it has potential to be a good 3d platformer. I just hope it isn't as chock full of repetitive stuff as DK64 was. And I also hope it doesn't ride entirely on Banjo nostalgia. That jungle world track sounded extremely banjo like.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Not really a noteworthy bet considering the number of PCs + PS4s + Xbones out there versus Wii U systems.

Jamix012

Eh, I reckon this is one of the few types of games that'll do better on Wii U than PS4. My guess'd be Steam > Wii U > XB1 > PS4 in terms of sales. In the same way Sonic would still do best on Nintendo consoles, this will also, I reckon.

Not really a noteworthy bet considering the number of PCs + PS4s + Xbones out there versus Wii U systems.

Target audiences and all that. I still reckon Wii U will be the 2nd best performing unless they introduce a New 3DS version or an NX version or something.

Crocodile

I was scared because I thought I read in another topic that this got killed but maybe it was in reference to something else?

1271010043_jump-in-the-car.gif

This looks great. Fucking IN!

I don't see why not. Modern 3D platformers like Mario 3D Land and 3D World are significantly dumbed down and simplified compared to games like BK and DK64, and they seem to be well received.

Dumbed down? The hell? I've played all those games you listed and in no way were the former two dumbed down relative to the later two. What are you even talking about?

Woffls

Hah, and there I was a couple of hours ago wishing they would make one of the reward tiers an N64 cart with a flash drive in it. If I had a job, I might consider it at £340.

Definitely going to back this, but waiting as long as I can to see how much I can realistically contribute.

Betty

Banned
Never used Kickstarter before but I gotta support this, just give me little worlds to run around and complete goals in like Banjo Kazooie/Donkey Kong 64 and I'll be in heaven.

Eh, I reckon this is one of the few types of games that'll do better on Wii U than PS4. My guess'd be Steam > Wii U > XB1 > PS4 in terms of sales. In the same way Sonic would still do best on Nintendo consoles, this will also, I reckon.

There is going to be like 3 times as many PS4s as Wii Us out in the wild by the time this thing comes out, if not more. I wouldn't take that bet. Again, I think making the assumption that the N64 audience that played these games as kids/teens all moved on to Wii U and followed Nintendo is a mistake.

Dragoshi1

Backed 25 bucks, that music is hnnnnngh so nostalgic. I'm also fond of this Bat/Chameleon duo, Chameleons in gaming go way back(Chameleon Twist on the N64 repreSENT)

This may be the game to go and do it. The only thing that could be better is them getting their hands on making a proper sequel to Banjo-Tooie.

El Odio

Banned
Listened to Jungle Theme and next thing I knew I was signing up to back this...
Only to remember my card is expired T-T Will back as soon as I stop by the mail office and get my new one!

Xater

This is a very vocal minority, though, and not necessarily representative of gaming at large. Don't get me wrong. I'm extremely hyped about the game. But I don't think the success of the KS bespeaks the larger market necessarily. Similarly, I am curious how MN9 will sell.

Not to rain on the parade at all, as I'm ridiculously psyched for the game. Just my thoughts on the larger market.

It doesn't have to be a larger market though. Just look at the success of the recent CRPG releases that came from Kickstarter. There is a market there it just isn't a multimillion sales one. If you budget smart you can still make all kinds of games and be successful with it. Problem is publisher these days don#t want to do anything that isn't super safe and sells at least 5 million copies.

Lijik

Dumbed down? The hell? I've played all those games you listed and in no way were the former two dumbed down relative to the later two. What are you even talking about?

Im going to assume he means in the sense they're more about obstacle courses instead of one big level you poke around, which to me isnt dumbed down and more of a pivot but opinions what can ya do

WillyFive

Controls, gameplay, and world design. The possibilities offered to you in the older games, both in moves and exploration, are not really present in the newer platformers. I don't see how being able to do FAR more stuff means it won't be relevant anymore.

i don't do kickstarter but i hope it reaches the stretch goal for the co op and the offline versus mode. platformer versus mode are always so much fun imo.

King_Moc

Banned
Upped my pledge to £30. And looks like the second target is about to get hit. Hopefully this keeps up, and the pledges aren't just really front loaded.

Top Bottom