• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please help me fix my Steam Installation

AlanOC91

Alright so the title is a bit overly dramatic but ever since the steam update early December everything has been a mess.

You might remember my earlier thread here.

The problem has been documented online and apparently fixed and yet I am having nothing but issues.

So for some context, I am a HEAVY controller user. I love BPM and use it constantly. After an early December update, steam started to crash constantly.

I've narrowed it down to the following that can cause the issue:

- Switching from my monitor over to my TV (both are always plugged into my PC but only 1 is ever active, never caused issues before update).
- Turning on a controller and then attempting to launch BPM (tried with 360, Steam Controller and DS4).
- Inserting my wireless mouse dongle can cause it to crash.
- Switching to my TV, playing a game perfectly through BPM and then later switching back to my monitor causes it to crash.
- Switching from/to steam beta can and has caused it to crash.

I've tried both beta and non-beta, deleting all steam files and re-downloading them, running as admin/compatibility mode, updating graphics card drivers.

The WORST part by far is that when it crashes it's impossible to get it to launch again without restarting the PC, even with re-downloading all the steam files.

One possible full-time solution is disconnecting all controllers. Not a solution I obviously want.

One reddit user did say it was potentially an nvidia service crashing (that instantly restarts) and steam having trouble with it and then crashing. I don't think this applies to me but I can't be sure. Here is another post on the issue (the workaround fix didn't work for me).

Any tips Gaf? Anyone else having such huge issues with this update?

Have you confirmed the problem still exists if you start in Safe Mode, to make sure it's not some other service interfering with things?

I haven't had any controller issues but I'm using a DirectInput controller (with x360ce or InputMapper), so not one of the ones you have.

Rellik

I do all those things you listed without it crashing, but when I pulled my headphones out the socket on my PC, it crashed Steam while in BPM. Just like you, only happened recently.

I found it odd, but put it down to some kind of conflict with the sound automatically switching from headphones to my TV in Windows. Which would kinda match up with your error of switching from TV to monitor.

Edit: And yeah I had to restart to get Steam working again.

Kule

If it's directly related to the controllers and WiFi have you looked into a driver issue/conflict. Might be worth scrubbing them and testing with whatever windows automatically gets to see f the issue occurs.

Also could try uninstalling steam with revo uninstaller and looking for any registry entries left behind.

Hope you find a solution

AlanOC91

I do all those things you listed without it crashing, but when I pulled my headphones out the socket on my PC, it crashed Steam while in BPM. Just like you, only happened recently.

I found it odd, but put it down to some kind of conflict with the sound automatically switching from headphones to my TV in Windows. Which would kinda match up with your error of switching from TV to monitor.

Edit: And yeah I had to restart to get Steam working again.

Ok this is actually interesting as it could possibly be a sound issue after all...

Because when I initially switch over my TV the audio is going through my speakers and I have to manually change it usually. Maybe a recent update caused steam to freak out over this?....

One possibility.

Have you confirmed the problem still exists if you start in Safe Mode, to make sure it's not some other service interfering with things?

I haven't had any controller issues but I'm using a DirectInput controller (with x360ce or InputMapper), so not one of the ones you have.

Good tip! I'll try safe mode!

Top Bottom