• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: Globe trotting handheld adventures from 1996 to present

considering BW1 is the only mainline game that even attempts at having a plot, no. I'm right with you.

Well, as far as Pokemon stories go, I agree that BW was best.

I thought it was generally considered to have the best story in the series? I mean all of the games are bare-bone and derivative plot and character-wise compared to pretty much any other series, but they definitely seem like the ones that tried the most in that respect.
Yay, It's weird though that my 'local' community actually prefers XY story. I was like 'You guys never played BW before???'

Gen 5 is best gen

Best music

Best story

Best new Pokemon

But worst starters

The best Pokémon ending credit theme

Toad.T

Banned
Has anyone managed to do that? 800 pokemans seems like too much.

That's what I've been trying to do with Pokémon Bank and my old copies of Sapphire, Fire Red, Heart Gold, Platinum and White.

I'm up to... 500 or so, I think? Most of the gaps come from either starters, legendarys like Deoxsys/Mew and the mid-evolutions of the later 3 gens.

DryvBy

I got into the series via emulators because my original Game Boy's speaker was busted. After beating it, I ended up getting a Game Boy Color and Gold shortly after with money I had saved up. My younger brother got a GBC a few months later with Silver. He had the guide and all. We beat it over a weekend, then began trading. Even though in 99 I was 15, I was staying up late watching Pokemon anime, trading Pokemon and cards with my brother and cousin all the time. I even bought Pokemon Snap day-one.

After Ruby/Sapphire came out, I beat it and began losing interest in the games. I bought Diamond when it came out, but I never beat it. X/Y boosted my confidence in the franchise (even though the game is way too easy) due to online trading and playing. Because of the excitement I had for X/Y, my wife and I ended up watching over 160 episodes of Pokemon anime before taking a break.

Good times. Good thread.

Kouriozan

Can't wait for 3D Hoenn

esweGTd.jpg

My first Pokemon game was Blue and I have played every generation since. Beginning with about, HeartGold, I now beat the games as fast as possible so that I can get to breeding and training, as all that I care about now is competitive battling.

Randdalf

My "generation preference" goes something like this:

3 > 1 (inc. FRLG) > 2 (inc. HG/SS) > 6 > 5 > 4

I really like X/Y even though a lot of people here don't.

I wonder how kids who have just played Gen 6 would cope with Gen 1. Gen 1 has much longer and more complicated dungeons for one thing. No EXP all probably means their party will be an overlevelled starter who can handle it all though.

I remember I became too cool for Pokemon around the time gen 2 came along. Recently I've been wondering if it's possible to get back into it. Has anyone managed to do that? 800 pokemans seems like too much.
Without any transfers my own I've managed to get 707/719 (705 of which are what the game considers as a complete national pokedex; the regional ones are closer to 450). It did require a lot of trading, working out what was in demand and things like that.

I'd personally stopped before at Gen 4 (I did go back and play Gen 5* after Gen 6 though).

*-Bought copy off a friend who found it boring (he bought as 3DS to play it too *facepalm*). I knew from the opening cutscene it was trying to different with a plot and all. Shame the Unova Pokedex felt uninspired in places and the linear overworld makes me want to go back to gen 1.

Zalman

Good job with the thread!

Love all the games. For nostalgia reasons, my favorite is probably Gen 2 as well, but I think overall Gen 5 was better. Least favorite is definitely Gen 3, but even that's a good one.

Anth0ny

Yay, It's weird though that my 'local' community actually prefers XY story. I was like 'You guys never played BW before???'

XY has a story?

I don't even remember it. Well, I remember it being super basic.

I love the simple story that RBY told (GOTTA CATCH EM ALL, asshole rival always one step ahead of you, Team Rocket are jerks), but BW had an actual, well told story and the ending was unlike any other Pokemon game. Too bad the story telling has actually regressed in Pokemon games since.

Caffeine

I loved playing through all the games but i still rank them this way imo :p btw i started with gen 1.

Gen 3 >Gen 2 >Gen 5>Gen 1>Gen 4>Gen 6

daydream

Banned
Nice thread! Gen II is my favourite, and while I enjoy newer ones (Gen IV and upwards), they don't quite capture the same feeling for me. Even HeartGold didn't hit the spot for some reason. I blame feature overload.

But anyway, I'm very excited for Omega Ruby! #teamshadesofred

Although I owned Red and Yellow on release I think of the first two Gens I played Crystal the most. I was a stupid kid and I used the Missingno glitch on Red to max level my Pokemon and traded some to Yellow. Crystal was the first I played legit. I also played Gold and Silver but the internal batteries have long since died so I don't remember how I played them.

Surprisingly the batteries in Red and Yellow still function, though occasionally I have problems loading Red. I don't know what it is about Yellow and Crystal but I've never had issues with them. Though some older kids tricked me into deleting my original Yellow save some time in 2000, which sucked.

Of all of them I'd like to see Yellow get rereleased, whether on Virtual Console or a remake.

JoeM86

Thing I've never understood about Pokemon, why are there 2 different versions/colors of each game?

It's to encourage you to trade with friends who have a different version in order to fill your Pokédex, because each version has got around a dozen or so exclusive Pokémon that can't be found in the counterpart version.

It's not a money making scheme like people think, at least it's not intended to be. They don't intend for people to buy both versions, they aim for it to be a social game.

Anura

I will never get the love for the awful gen 5 and the hate for gen 4 (especially Platinum). To each their own obviously and all games have at least one thing they did best.

JoeM86

I will never get the love for the awful gen 5 and the hate for gen 4 (especially Platinum). To each their own obviously and all games have at least one thing they did best.

Gen IV mostly gets hate due to a good portion of the new Pokémon being "useless" evolutions, and the godawful Surf speed in DP

I recently got Pokemon Y. Have yet to play it.

It's my first Pokemon since gold/silver. How noob will I be when it comes to learning about moves, pokemon types, what is weak vs what? And what evolves with stones.. etc. I haven't been exposed to much Pokemon

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Favorite gen: toss up between V and VI, though VI has my favorite mon and most of my favorite mons so far.

Starters chosen and version picked:
I - Blastoise (Blue)
II - Feraligatr (Silver, Soul Silver)
III - Blaziken (Sapphire, getting Alpha Sapphire)
IV - Torterra (Diamond)
V - Samurott (White, White 2)
VI - Chesnaught (favorite starter) (X)

Favorite mon:

Oh yeah, an actual king Pokemon

tyrantsd_by_lintufriikki-d6r2awg.png

Favorite type: Fighting

Favorite cutemon:

Screw your "commercialized" cuteness, this is the real cutie!

aR9s6Nh.jpg

Favorite legendary:

The best.

zROxn16.jpg

Boss Doggie

What...is that a real Pokemon? I haven't played Gen V or VI yet...

Yup, Gen VI. Tyrantrum. One of the fossil Pokemon. Finally, Pokemon has an actual t-rex, and it's glorious!!!

d32a34d9c4e6dabbfabf328c651e0cd3.jpg

after seeing it, it immediately made me replace Braviary as my favorite mon (sorry freedombird)

Yup, Gen VI. Tyrantrum. One of the fossil Pokemon. Finally, Pokemon has an actual t-rex, and it's glorious!!!

d32a34d9c4e6dabbfabf328c651e0cd3.jpg

after seeing it, it immediately made me replace Braviary as my favorite mon (sorry freedombird)
Oh shit, an actual T-Rex Pokemon. I will instantly main him once I get a 3DS soon lol. What are his types?

Boss Doggie

Dragon/Rock. Pretty high offense and its standard ability is Strong Jaw which powers up biting moves (Bite, Crunch, and if you breed it, Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang, and Poison Fang) by 50%. Also has good defense.

CassSept

Gen VI single player is easy as it is and Tyrantrum absolutely tears through everything in your path in addition to looking awesome. Sadly, too frail to do anything in the metagame, but he has a pretty great attack stat.

Ultimadrago

Gen VI single player is easy as it is and Tyrantrum absolutely tears through everything in your path in addition to looking awesome. Sadly, too frail to do anything in the metagame, but he has a pretty great attack stat.

Yeah, I never use Tyrantrum, but I love owning them.

What was new in B&W2 over B&W besides the addition of Pokewood? I haven't played either one so I'm not the most informed there.

upandaway

I got my Gameboy Color a bit after everyone else in my school, after Gold & Silver were already out. Almost no one had Gold & Silver so they all pushed me to get it, because who wouldn't get the newest game of the two. I picked Red because I wanted to play the games "in order". I want a time machine just so I can go back and pat myself on the head, haha. Such a good choice.
I got Silver a couple months later, so even better.

We used to meet up every day by the huge statue near the school and just trade and battle all day. Some dude brought in a Mew one day, and it had an OHKO move (the first time we saw one of those). We freaked the HELL out because we thought Mew is the only Pokemon that can have such a crazy move. I kept believing that until like 2006.

Probably my most solid memory from that time was how only like 3-4 kids in our class knew how to navigate and escape this treacherous labyrinth:

hpzzTFU.png

We all kept resetting our save files after beating E4, easily once a week, so it was a ritual to go give them the Gameboy to do this part :lol honestly I'm not sure why we never attempted to do it ourselves. If only I looked at the screen as they did it...

There was also the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar... forget the class, only one kid in the entire school knew how to do that one.

There was also the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar... forget the class, only one kid in the entire school knew how to do that one.

I remember the hushed group of kids watching over one kid's shoulder cause he was the only one who knew how to do both the ice puzzle in the cave before the town with the 8th gym AND the whirlpool puzzle to get Lugia.

Top Bottom