• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Update (Buddy System, Pokemon GO+) is Rolling Out

HRMnXsm.jpg

OUT NOW!

Pokemon Go's latest update, which adds the previously revealed Buddy Pokemon system to the game, is now rolling out to users around the world. Niantic confirmed the latest update in a new blog post, Pokemon Go players will now be able to select their favorite Pokemon to appear next to their trainers while on their journey to catch 'em all. The new feature opens up "unique in-game rewards and experiences," according to the Pokemon Go development team. Buddy Pokemon will appear on players' profile screens alongside Trainer avatars.

Pokemon Go update 0.37.0 for Android and 1.7.0 for iOS also fixes a few bugs and adds Pokemon Go Plus support. Niantic also explains in the patch notes that the developer is continuing to work on eliminating "bots and scrapers" from the game, noting that users with rooted or jailbroken devices are not supported by the app.

Source - IGN

Theres a neat little buddy easter egg already out there involving you know who:

Easter Egg Spoiler:
Players who equip Pikachu as their Buddy Pokemon will also find a new Pokemon Go Easter egg. Pikachu will initially appear on the ground next to the player, but after walking 10 km, Pikachu will hop up on an avatar's shoulder in the Trainer details screen.

Rattata me if old

Too bad all of my devices, and half of my friends, can't play the game anymore.

All rooted devices, Cyanogenmod, etc, are now completely blocked from, playing the game.

mario_O

Uninstalled the game. Apparently Niantic doesn't want my rooted phone playing their game. They've blocked all rooted phones.

KingBroly

Banned
Another Easter Egg:
If you tap Magikarp on your Buddy screen, it will jump

EDIT:
On closer inspection, it might just be an attack

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
this will be nice to make some extra candy progress on hard to find Pokemon.

that said, I saw and caught my first ever Charizard this morning, so it's already been a solid Pokemon Go day

orochi91

All rooted devices, Cyanogenmod, etc, are now completely blocked from, playing the game.
Uninstalled the game. Apparently Niantic doesn't want my rooted phone playing their game. They've blocked all rooted phones.
When did this happen?

My Galaxy S6 is rooted and I've been playing for weeks.

Edit: oh, this update is the cause of these bans. I suppose I'll just avoid upgrading my app until a proper solution is found :/

Arttemis

Yep. Same here so I moved on.

What, that's ridiculous! Still, can't you hide root status on a rooted phone?

Unicorn

What about developer edition moto x?

Also some dude made a workaround for rooted where you can toggle if it's rooted off/on. Dumb, but if you gotta play...

Yep, prevents me from ever playing again. I had already stopped anyway, but this buddy system and the upcoming trainer battles were gonna get me back into it. Not now though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So... how much do you have to walk and how much candy do you get?

sounds like it varies based on Pokemon.

Magikarp you get a candy every km.

Dragonite? Every 3 km.

The starters are 2 km's each candy.

Occasionally it'll proc a double candy reward so you'll get 2.

Acerac

Banned
I saw the bottom right corner of the middle screen in the OP and couldn't help but be a little bit let down. Oh well, this is a neat feature and I look forward to having Lapras follow me around.

Drain You

Dragonair is every 5km... so why is dragonite every 3km???

Just a guess, but maybe cause the push from Dragonair to Dragonite is the long haul which leads to what people want. Whereas once you have Dragonite you aren't really gaining much besides pokemon you already had in that evo line. Having a hard time explaining what I mean , so my apologies lol.

Why is an update for a competitive online game that allows for Pokémon to be evolved significantly more easily being "rolled out"?

MisterHero

Why is an update for a competitive online game that allows for Pokémon to be evolved significantly more easily being "rolled out"?
it's like hatching eggs. it's not 'easier'

eggs yield more candies anyways.

Looks like I have to be a marathon runner to level my starter. ;_;

it's like hatching eggs. it's not 'easier'

eggs yield more candies anyways.

Looks like I have to be a marathon runner to level my starter. ;_;
Something that isn't based entirely on RNG is absolutely more easy than hoping you randomly stumble on rare Pokemon.

And how would you feel if hatching eggs was currently only available to a select percentage of those playing the game? Hatching inherintly sucks based on the method the game uses to track your distance traveled. Other than that, it's a good idea, and helps encourage those who don't live in big cities to continue playing.

Wait, what? This is my native OS as a OnePlus user.

Not completely true, you can unroot CM and it will work, and you can also use workarounds like magisk to have root. Not defending Niantic here, I still don't understand what's their logic behind this.

Dishwalla

Banned
Not completely true, you can unroot CM and it will work, and you can also use workarounds like magisk to have root. Not defending Niantic here, I still don't understand what's their logic here.

I think they are trying to prevent people from playing a modified version of the game where you can "teleport" to anywhere there is a Pokemon you are looking for. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who was using a website to see where certain Pokemon were spawning, then inputting the coordinates into his modified game taking him directly to the Pokemon, instead of the Pokemon coming to him. He also used it to get the region exclusives like Mr. Mime.

BigEmil

good. The app is not even suppose to work with jailbreak or rooted devices.
How is that meant to be good? Blocked alot of us who play this legit out and no way am I removing my root for this.

Also before you complain about hacks they're all doable and to a much higher degree through PC you don't need root or jailbroken devices to cheat on Pokemon GO.

I think they are trying to prevent people from playing a modified version of the game where you can "teleport" to anywhere there is a Pokemon you are looking for. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who was using a website to see where certain Pokemon were spawning, then inputting the coordinates into his modified game taking him directly to the Pokemon, instead of the Pokemon coming to him. He also used it to get the region exclusives like Mr. Mime.

Sure, but I think they can put their money to use on some anticheat systems instead of treating every root user like a cheater. There are also some "tools" which don't even need root.

Leeness

Are we ever going to get the Pokemon tracker working again? I have kind of stopped playing at this point because the tracking didn't work.

Zomba13

Plus haven't they already been issuing bans if you character teleports around unnaturally? Unless there was some super secret root only hacks to spawn the pokémon you want right where you are.

Are we ever going to get the Pokemon tracker working again? I have kind of stopped playing at this point because the tracking didn't work.

what they have now is the tracker now. It just says what things are "nearby" and if you are near a pokéstop and the Pokémon you want is near a Pokéstop it might tel you the Pokéstop it is close to so you know roughly where to look. They won't ever bring back the footprints stuff :(

You can do the same amount of stuff using a PC and a proxy server. The game is server authoritative anyways, so it's not like people can force spawns of things.

This just vastly harms them.

Okay but why should I care about some dozen or so people who can't play the game? I don't want people cheating in my barely-competitive game!

Leeness

what they have now is the tracker now. It just says what things are "nearby" and if you are near a pokéstop and the Pokémon you want is near a Pokéstop it might tel you the Pokéstop it is close to so you know roughly where to look. They won't ever bring back the footprints stuff :(

:( weren't they testing like the ability to actually see where they were on the map like a month ago?

I don't think mine even does the pokestop thing...

Tidalwave

sounds like it varies based on Pokemon.

Magikarp you get a candy every km.

Dragonite? Every 3 km.

The starters are 2 km's each candy.

Occasionally it'll proc a double candy reward so you'll get 2.
My charmader is every 3km. So it sounds like its based on potential.

Top Bottom