• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Beat Handcuffed Woman in Front of child, White bagged, Creedy Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
The footage appears to have been found and posted by the woman’s elder daughter, and emerged on YouTube on Tuesday. It immediately caused a stir both online and with the Salt Lake City police, whose chief issued a public statement on Wednesday, alleging that the matter was only brought to his attention after the video surfaced the previous day.

The footage shows the woman, Michelle Anderson, now 43, and her small daughter standing beside their car as two officers approach to handcuff her. The arrest was for public intoxication and, according to CBS News, was the second time the officers were called to the scene.

After a brief, almost friendly, verbal exchange between the officers and Anderson and her small daughter, the girl is told to gather her things and wait in the police cruiser. Answering a question from Anderson, the officer reminds her of a warning he gave prior to the incident: "Remember the warning I gave you? That if you came out and harassed them...”. This was allegedly because Anderson had been behaving abusively toward neighbors that night.

Then, just out of eyeshot, the woman allegedly spits on one of the officers. What happened next is now the subject of an investigation. The officer who handcuffed Anderson brutally punches her in the face, by some accounts with a closed fist. She collapses in pain, as he proceeds to hurl expletives at her, adding: “You spit on me!”

“Oh my God,” Anderson pleads, as she is held down, her bruised face in the green lawn as her daughter is heard crying. "Please stop, I can't breathe.”

“Shut your hole,” the officer says. "When you go spitting on somebody, you deserve to have your (expletive) kicked. You lose all respect." He is heard complaining to his partner of being spat on.

According to the police, Anderson was arrested for “verbal disturbance, disturbing peace and assault on a police officer.” But as it turned out, Chief Mike Brown had not been made aware of the footage back on October 10, 2014, and only viewed the tape on Tuesday.

Brown gave a press conference Wednesday, himself visibly in dismay. "It's a tragic situation in several ways," he told reporters. "The action you saw was abhorrent. It is not what we would teach, it is not our culture. It did occur. That is our videotape, we do not back away from that, and I promise that we will take appropriate actions to look into this situation and investigate it through our internal affairs process."

Salt Lake County Attorney Sim Gill added that the video was “disturbing,” and confirmed that his office is investigating. According to Gill, the office was aware of the video’s existence, but the police were not made aware due to a “communication breakdown.”

The Associated Press spoke to former city prosecutor Michelle L. Diamond, who worked on the case. Now a private attorney, Diamond said she was sickened by the footage and asked her supervisors to notify the police two years ago, but was unaware what happened later.

Brown declined to give up the names of the officers involved in the beating, but he does promise that the department will “look into it.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-savagely-beat-handcuffed-woman/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3_dcGvi48

https://youtu.be/Nz3_dcGvi48?t=54s alleged punch.

replace patrol officers with robots please

ED 209 gave 20 seconds to comply, much more than anyone in the encounters over the last few days got

She obviously shouldn't have spit on him but holy fucking over reactions Batman. As a police officer you should have thicker skin than to be so upset by that that you beat the living shit out of a woman, in front of her child is even worse. Cops need a better mental evaluation procedure instead of letting people like this dude and other abusive cops into the force. Sickening.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yo, is this cop trying to suffocate her (with his knee on her back) after her punches her out and calls her both a bitch and a cunt?

When she complains that she can't breath her tells her to shut her hole.

And the way this dude spits out "bitch" and "cunt" you can tell he's a hateful shit.

This fucking asshole wanted her to suffocate to death in front of her daughter.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also notice that the asshole's partner apparently didn't say shit, since this is apparently only coming out now

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She obviously shouldn't have spit on him but holy fucking over reactions Batman. As a police officer you should have thicker skin than to be so upset by that that you beat the living shit out of a woman, in front of her child is even worse. Cops need a better mental evaluation procedure instead of letting people like this dude and other abusive cops into the force. Sickening.

I assume that the majority of cops just want to get a career with benefits, a salary and some stability, but you'd have to be an idiot to think the authority, badge, gun etc, doesn't attract power tripping morons.

There are literally HUNDREDS of videos of cops losing their shit because they feel "disrespected." I'd say that's even more common in some ways (although directly connected) than racism.

This is bs the cops beat this woman and then tried to cover it up for two years by withholding the video. Heads need to roll over this shit it was a legitimate cover up by the salt lake city police department.

replace patrol officers with robots please

ED 209 gave 20 seconds to comply, much more than anyone in the encounters over the last few days got

I remember watching Robocop as a kid and thinking how ridiculous ED-209 was. He wasn't a police bot, he was a murder bot. Now there's not much of a difference.

“Shut your hole,” the officer says. "When you go spitting on somebody, you deserve to have your (expletive) kicked. You lose all respect." He is heard complaining to his partner of being spat on.

What the fuck

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Good cops though!!!!

If they are our last line of defense...

lol.

Government-Protecting-and-Serving-the-Hell-Out-of_art.jpg

Best defense is a strong offense
:/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I used to work with mentally disabled people in their homes. A few times, I ended up in places with one or more violent people. I've been punched outright countless times, had a knife thrown at me, had people try to grapple me...

I did that for ten bucks an hour, why the fuck can't trained police officers properly assess a situation to get both you and the aggressor out of it safely? I got some bruises but I did my fucking job. Getting spat on makes you mad? I dealt with that nearly daily for some stretches.

I have zero empathy for someone who reacts like this when they're supposed to be the professional authority figure in a situation. Fuck them.

I literally had better training as a bouncer:

1. Talk the situation down.
2. Talk the situation down.
3. Talk the situation down.
4. Move problem people away from each other.
5. Engage calmly at all times, even when forcibly removing someone from premises.

We were taught (literally just by sensible old dudes) that you don't get personal even in fights, because it escalates the problem and amplifies the emotion. Further, if you do it calmly and impersonally then the chances of return visits from bad guys drops dramatically. Somebody spits at you? Are you injured? No. You are working. It is not personal. Remove them from the premises.

qcf x2

Can you imagine if she was black and she spat on the officer, we would not be talking about a punch. She at least did several things wrong here, first the abusive behavior to the neighbors (apparently repeated) and second spitting on an officer. The sucker punch was a pathetic move and officers obviously abuse their authority all over the country but I could see somebody catching a baton or taser for doing something like that. I certainly would not dare.

Gattsu25

Banned
Damn :(

Why all these police videos all of a sudden?

This is how it's always been. We just have video evidence now.

Honestly, do you think the stories of the past two days would have even been news if there wasn't video evidence to immediately refute the usual police depiction of events?

Nothing's changed except now we no longer have to blindly take cops at their word.

Dude gave absolutely zero fucks about his bodycam recording

Of course the Officer who beat the women did not care since he knew their would be no consequences for his actions since the Salt Lakes City Police department actively tried to cover this up.

Machine

I bet if someone started a random thread and asked "How would you respond if someone spit on you", there would be a lot of Gaffers who would say they would kick that person's ass. While police definitely should be held to a higher standard, it's not surprising to me that this shit happens when violent responses to minor insults are deemed acceptable (and even appropriate) by so many.

Kyzer

Banned
I bet if someone started a random thread and asked "How would you respond if someone spit on you", there would be a lot of Gaffers who would say they would kick that person's ass. While police definitely should be held to a higher standard, it's not surprising to me that this shit happens when violent responses to minor insults are deemed acceptable (and even appropriate) by so many.

I bet if I started a thread saying "You are deemed guardian of society and given a weapon and training. One of your fellow americans who your job it is to serve, in a fit of immature rage, spits on you. Whats your response?" it would be different.

Not that a thread on neogaf means shit anyways

Toxi

Banned
LOLwut

No it's not generally considered acceptable to beat someone for spitting on you, especially if you are in a position of power and held to a higher standard (and police should be held to a higher standard for obvious reasons).

commedieu

Banned

When you make a post like this, are you forgetting that Police go through training, and that they aren't just your average moron with a badge and a gun? Also, do you notice that a post like this is equating police to your average untrained gaffer? Do you see that it is probably part of the problem?

Police are held to a higher standard, there is no 'should.' Because they are sworn officers of the law.

I think this post highlights the problem and why nothing can be done about police. People like yourself are willing to ignore the fact that police are trained to deal with problems and not react in the heat of the moment, or with emotions. One day, they are our trained officers, there to protect us. The next, ah well, just some average good ole boys like me. I'd probably do the same thing. But yep. This thinking is the reason why those on the sidelines of the issue couldn't give a shit if you handed them a barrel of it. Police are just normal dudes with guns apparently. Why that doesn't strike you as an immediate problem, well.

sarcastor

he does promise that the department will “look into it.”

the police were not made aware due to a “communication breakdown.”

she just "fell down the stairs"

he jumped "in front of my baton"

the gun "accidentally went off 10 times into his back"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The police always say it's horrifying whenever people post these videos. But these are like 0.1% of the incidents. The vast majority of the time, the incidents are being reported by people, and then, since there's no proof, at most, it gets marked down as an incident # and shoved away in storage.

Any complaints of misconduct by officers needs to be thoroughly investigated. The vast majority of the time, there will be no criminal investigation, but there is no reason why administrative discipline should be out of the question. People with multiple allegations of misconduct against them need to have that factored into their performance reviews.

Being a police officer is a lot safer compared to any manual labor, transportation, industrial, or electric position. An officer should have to explain to his superiors any incident which involves the removal of a weapon from its holster. A firearm is a tool meant to be used only when the officer or someone else is facing an imminent threat to their life. Making a sudden movement is not a threat. Resisting arrest is not a threat. Having an outstanding warrant, driving a stolen vehicle, or driving with expired tabs is not a threat.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well...at least she didn't get shot to death while trying to comply with the cop's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom