• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: DeVos expected to unveil school choice plans Monday

Tripon

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is expected to offer details about the Trump administration’s vision for a federal investment in school choice in a major policy speech Monday.

DeVos is slated to speak at an Indianapolis summit hosted by her former group, The American Federation for Children, which advocates for school choice, the Education Department confirmed Wednesday night.

She is believed to be preparing to unveil an education tax credit scholarship proposal, which the Trump administration has been considering for some time, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it. What DeVos is expected to outline could look different than a bill pushed by Republicans Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Rep. Todd Rokita of Indiana. If passed by Congress, the proposal could channel billions of public dollars to working class families to help them pay for private schools, including religious schools.

A federal plan could award tax credits to individuals, corporations, or both, in exchange for their donations to those organizations. It could be part of a larger tax reform bill and pass through the budget reconciliation process with only 51 votes in the Senate. That said, it’s unclear how the Trump administration’s ability to accomplish tax reform — or other policy priorities, for that matter — may be affected by the scandals engulfing the White House.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...l-school-choice-plans-in-policy-speech-238544

kirblar

A reminder: Charter schools are a mixed bag in terms of results.

Vouchers (which is what this is) are complete poison and represent the wealthy giving themselves a government handout.

A federal plan could award tax credits to individuals, corporations, or both, in exchange for their donations to those organizations. It could be part of a larger tax reform bill and pass through the budget reconciliation process with only 51 votes in the Senate. That said, it’s unclear how the Trump administration’s ability to accomplish tax reform — or other policy priorities, for that matter — may be affected by the scandals engulfing the White House.

Tax credits in exchange for donations.

Vouchers (which is what this is) are complete poison and represent the wealthy giving themselves a government handout.

I'm currently searching more information about vouchers since my focus on education reform has looked more at charter schools and their benefits and harm to areas (some are good or great, and some are in it for the money and will close within years).

Is the vouchers program already implemented nation wide and DeVos is hoping to bolster it while ignoring public school needs?

kirblar

I'm currently searching more information about vouchers since my focus on education reform has looked more at charter schools and their benefits and harm to areas (some are good or great, and some are in it for the money and will close within years).

Is the vouchers program already implemented nation wide and DeVos is hoping to bolster it while ignoring public school needs?
No, vouchers aren't commonly implemented. They're a push from the wealthy, religious and white to get the public to pay for their private schools, which are private because they violate separation of church and state, are a result of white flight from public schools, or often both!

Unless they are going to increase education funding (snortlolololololololright), vouchers result in a loss of public education funds.

Here in good ol' Indiana, that means more money for the abundance of Catholic schools, or the most popular non-Catholic school in our area, the Lutheran school that teaches strict interpretation of the Bible as literal. I'm sure that's great for education. What more do kids need, really.

No, vouchers aren't commonly implemented. They're a push from the wealthy, religious and white to get the public to pay for their private schools, which are private because they violate separation of church and state, are a result of white flight from public schools, or often both!

Thanks for providing this information for me.

And these vouchers are different than the current deductions or credits a family could get for enrolling their child in private school?

I find all of these tax techniques that the wealthy use extremely interesting and confusing for most people.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hope states get to choose not to implement these hairbrained schemes

new york needs to not do this

tbm24

I still don't understand how this passes public opinion as it will just further divert money from public schools which are desperately in need of it. Not everyone is going to get a fucking voucher, so what about the rest? All this school choice talk avoids all talk of current public schools. Aside assuming they are shit.

I tutor throughout many of the Indianapolis public schools. If that part of that money doesn't go out to support those administrations, teachers and students, I will be extremely upset. They are short on resources as is.

thefro

I still don't understand how this passes public opinion as it will just further divert money from public schools which are desperately in need of it. Not everyone is going to get a fucking voucher, so what about the rest? All this school choice talk avoids all talk of current public schools. Aside assuming they are shit.

It should be DOA in the Senate given that they need 60 votes.

That's assuming it can actually pass the House.

Amir0x

Banned
ohhh yet another poison pill to make this administration even more despised by America!

Can't wait. Protests up!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It really amazes me how this administration has the gall to do shit like this when 1) they have faced stiff resistance and negative responses for things like this everywhere they go 2) unless they form an oligarchy odds are this will be revoked in less than a few years as a new more sane administration follows their clown show 3) they continue to face lawsuits nation wide for their attempts to implement their hair brained schemes

Supast4r

It also fucks over public schools because public schools need those rich families putting money into the local public schools.

thefro

ohhh yet another poison pill to make this administration even more despised by America!

Can't wait. Protests up!

I'm actually working right next door to where this thing is next week, so I'll make sure to give the protestors a big thumbs up.

Can't wait. Protests up!
http://www.gallup.com/poll/207905/trump-family-leave-infrastructure-proposals-widely-popular.aspx

School vouchers are popular even among democrats. Not sure this is one of those poison pills.

The other two Trump proposals that generate more agreement than disagreement from Americans are cutting taxes for the middle class and providing federal funding for school-choice programs that allow students to attend any private or public school. Republicans strongly support both of these proposals, and Democrats are more likely to agree than disagree with them, although by slim margins.​

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
http://www.gallup.com/poll/207905/trump-family-leave-infrastructure-proposals-widely-popular.aspx

School vouchers are popular even among democrats. Not sure this is one of those poison pills.

The other two Trump proposals that generate more agreement than disagreement from Americans are cutting taxes for the middle class and providing federal funding for school-choice programs that allow students to attend any private or public school. Republicans strongly support both of these proposals, and Democrats are more likely to agree than disagree with them, although by slim margins.​

Sadly, being a democrat does not insulate one from being misinformed, just somewhat less likely in practice. This is only indicative that the public needs to be better informed. Your article says "programs that allow students to attend any private or public school," when in fact the programs do not at all actually do this. Only those with sufficient funds would truly have a choice of <i>any</i> school. Those with fewer means would be relegated to the bottom tier. Meanwhile, as people think their choice means they can flee already over-stressed public schools, public funds are drawn away from those schools, leaving them to further founder.

Edit: I actually saw just "Politico: DeVos expected to..." when I was logging into GAF before I entered OT. My mind was racing down the list of topics saying "please say resign, please say resign."

I mean, there's a reason why DeVos was easily the one Cabinet member with the most backlash, and the GOP had to be very careful with letting that go to a tie-breaker vote. This is not wanted by and large by just about anyone outside very small group of people

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Charter schools like vouchers are a two pronged attack on public education. They want you to pay for school and they also want your kids to be stupid so they can guarantee a voting base in the future. If anyone thinks they haven't actually discussed that in their planning then I have an orange buffoon to sell you.

I don't want to hear about your good experience with a charter school because you're missing the point of the pyramid scheme they're selling.

Charter schools like vouchers are a two pronged attack on public education. They want you to pay for school and they also want your kids to be stupid so they can guarantee a voting base in the future. If anyone thinks they haven't actually discussed that in their planning then I have an orange buffoon to sell you.

I don't want to hear about your good experience with a charter school because you're missing the point of the pyramid scheme they're selling.
You seriously think charter schools are designed to make kids stupid? Are all the Democratic politicians who have supported charter schools in the past in on this too? (e.g. Cory Booker)

There are studies with mixed results of charter school programs and others showing charter schools helping students, but to suggest that education reform & school choice proponents are just trying to make kids stupid so they will vote republican seems ridiculous and unsupported by evidence.

samn

but to suggest that education reform & school choice proponents are just trying to make kids stupid so they will vote republican seems ridiculous and unsupported by evidence.

I agree. It's absurd to suggest that Republican politicians think about the long-term effects of their actions.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You seriously think charter schools are designed to make kids stupid? Are all the Democratic politicians who have supported charter schools in the past in on this too? (e.g. Cory Booker)

There are studies with mixed results of charter school programs and others showing charter schools helping students, but to suggest that education reform & school choice proponents are just trying to make kids stupid so they will vote republican seems ridiculous and unsupported by evidence.

Hi Seth.
Btw I don't think they just want to train dumb people. They do. But they also want to train actual religious zealots and an underclass that never votes at all.

However I will gladly withdraw that prediction when I see the GOP do something to globally increase voter turnout or improve public schools.

Sweden has a similar system.

It sucks ass and lobbying groups ensure it will never be repealed, despite overwhelmingly negative public opinion

It will be sold with newspeak like "school choice", but is really just a way to take public money and funnel it to shareholders

Don't do it.

Sweden has this system.

It sucks ass and lobbying groups ensure it will never be repealed, despite overwhelming negative public opinion

It will be sold with newspeak like "school choice", but is really just a way to take public money and funnel it to shareholders

Don't do it.

Listen to this person.

Magwik

Banned
Charter Schools are meant to kill public schools and leave the poorer more rural areas left to rot with little to no funding. DeVos is actually a fucking monster and single handedly has done irreparable damage to Michigan public schools.

Amir0x

Banned

DeVos was the most vehemently opposed candidate of any of Trump's and one of the most hated nominees of the past fifty years. Anything she proposes is a poison pill, and Democrats are so furious with Republicans right now that anything they do will be seen as an attack on common decency. As someone who is working across the grassroots movement right now coordinating on protests and constantly making calls to gauge the pulse at any given moment, I know any serious attempt to change the education system is going to be met at least modest protests. It is consistently one of the subjects people are most energized to march about, right after Muslim Bans and right now corruption.

old

I can't see vouchers as anything other than a strategy to undermine public teachers' union.

ICO_SotC

If passed by Congress, the proposal could channel billions of public dollars to working class families to help them pay for private schools, including religious schools.

If we're just giving the public's money to religious schools, and there aren't any non discrimination protections for staff and students in there, there's going to be lawsuits. If they are protections in there,*certain* (not all!) important backers of charter' won't support it and complain about "religious freedom" being attacked.

Ponn

Banned

This is not one of those things that shows immediate evidence but one of those more insidious slow moving ones.

1) They worm Christian and Catholic schools into the funding.

2). Charter schools are not always an option or as open as they want people to believe

3). Transportation and location for poorer communities

If this shit passes you will see the gulf in education within classes (and by extension race) grow exponentially. Watch very carefully as they start floating the extreme basic "reading and arithmetic" online courses for the poors as a solution.

Charter Schools are meant to kill public schools and leave the poorer more rural areas left to rot with little to no funding. DeVos is actually a fucking monster and single handedly has done irreparable damage to Michigan public schools.

Just one of the loads of proof no one gives one wet shit about poor people there in Michigan. A top ten list of terrible things in Michigan that have happened to people who aren't rich should be sobering but so many of us are very good at ignoring anything that isn't affecting us personally.

Top Bottom