• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony's Kazunori Yamauchi thinks Gran Turismo Sport can run at 8K on PS5

PS5 comes around.......Kaz "8K is not enough, we need more"
*Stares at those who were so against standard cars*
This is the future you deserve.

In all seriousness, I think this gen of models are future proof. So hopefully no more resets to the car count.
That's what they said last gen. I don't get what's so wrong about premium GT6 cars that they can't use them in PS4.

GT6-Screenshot-02.jpg

I mean, in photo mode you could notice some details don't look so good. But during gameplay, playing in a PS4 at 1080p, you would never know which car is from GT6 and which one is entirely redone.

MrCow

I believe they showed 8k concept TVs years ago when they were first showing 4K TVs at CES, etc

This is why I walked into a Sony store 5 years ago when they first showed 4k. I said to the clerk "is that an 8k TV??" (Having read tech blogs) And he said "no, it's 4K". Lol, obsolete on day one.

yeah 4k is the new 720p, no thanks I will skip this tv generation and wait for 8k

magawolaz

That's what they said last gen. I don't get what's so wrong about premium GT6 cars that they can't use them in PS4.

GT6-Screenshot-02.jpg

I mean, in photo mode you could notice some details don't look so good. But during gameplay, playing in a PS4 at 1080p, you would never know which car is from GT6 and which one is entirely redone.
Pretty sure they didn't scrap GT6 new models, only GT5. In 2010 they probably didn't account for tesselation and PBR.

The Toyota TS030 in GT Sport has that same "floating" sticker it had in GT6.

It's just easier to say they rebuild them all from scratch, most people don't know there were two tiers of premium cars in GT6.

Shin

Banned
Isn't Polyphony housed in the same building as Sony's HQ or did they move?
I thought I read that somewhere a while ago, one could say they would be one of the first studios to get preliminary info as to what Sony is targeting for PS5.
Not that I expect 8K games (well maybe some indies), the sooner these guys know the better since they are slow with releasing games.

yeah 4k is the new 720p, no thanks I will skip this tv generation and wait for 8k

Difference between 4K and 8K is a lot less noticeable than 720p vs 1080p IMO, then again I probably need a direct 4K vs 8K look.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
8K is completely pointless at what the vast majority of people would consider a reasonable TV size:distance ratio. Even 4K is pushing it. We've hit the limit of human vision unless we want wall-sized screens.

8k, 4k, 2k completely useless. Just invest in better textures, lighting and geomtry and let it run in 1080p. I can't understand the hype. More details is always better than a sharper image

Said the same shit with GT6 and then Sport comes along with 1/5th the game and stepped back features left and right even after a 4 year Dev cycle.

Don't put faith in this man's words.

Can we just get a locked 60FPS first? PD was chasing resolution back on the PS3, trying to get the games to run above 720p when the PS3 obviously couldn't handle it. GT5's framerate was so bad they had to patch all the races to be rolling starts so the cars wouldn't bunch up at the first corner, and then for some baffling reason they increased the resolution even further for GT6 and, obviously, the framerate got even worse. You had to set your PS3 to output at 720p to make that shit play well.

:lol

Seriously though, 6 months to make one car?
Who runs that studio and why are they in charge.

It's a meaningless statement that I think at this point is just an automatic response from him.

If you actually think how a game studio of 100s of employees would function it makes no sense to put a monthly figure to a single output when they'll be working on hundreds of things at one time.

Oemenia

Banned
It's a meaningless statement that I think at this point is just an automatic response from him.

If you actually think how a game studio of 100s of employees would function it makes no sense to put a monthly figure to a single output when they'll be working on hundreds of things at one time.
Still, the Forza guys said it takes them 6 months to make an ENVIRONMENT within their development curve.

GT fans love to shit on the franchise but they certainly know how to manage projects.

GT6-Screenshot-02.jpg

To be fair the car models in GTS do look noticeably better. Perhaps it was to deal with 4K.

Sayad

Sound like he's saying the assets they made are good enough for 8K not that PS5 gonna run GTS at 8K. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gaenor

Banned

Whoops lol

The thing is one is releasing 4 years into the generation with a little over 150 cars, and the other is releasing 4 years into the generation with 700 cars.

It might take 6 months for both studios to build a car, but at least one studio outsources (or employs more people) in order to have a vast selection of cars in their game.

Still can't wait for GT Sport, it always was in my top 10 anticipated games, but the car selection is a disappointment to me.

Caayn

Whoops lol
And yet Turn10 can pump out new iterations every two years. With even having started from scratch with FM5 which launched with more cars than GTS while releasing just two years after FM4.

Something is seriously wrong with Polyphony. (Not that Turn10 is perfection)

Shin

Banned
That quote is from Turn 10.

So we can chalk that up as fact then since both of them are saying the same thing, also thanks for pointing it out.
They need to hire more people, their output is way too slow and I'm not even into the GT series TBH.

So we can chalk that up as fact then since both of them are saying the same thing, also thanks for pointing it out.
They need to hire more people, their output is way too slow and I'm not even into the GT series TBH.

It's probably more to do with the amount of car/location data they gather and the techniques that are available to do it.

Kayant

The thing is one is releasing 4 years into the generation with a little over 150 cars, and the other is releasing 4 years into the generation with 700 cars.

It might take 6 months for both studios to build a car, but at least one studio outsources (or employs more people) in order to have a vast selection of cars in their game.

Still can't wait for GT Sport, it always was in my top 10 anticipated games, but the car selection is a disappointment to me.

And yet Turn10 can churn out new iterations every two years. With even having started from scratch with FM5 which launched with more cars than GTS and released just two years after FM4.

Something is seriously wrong with Polyphony. (Not that Turn10 is perfection)
True my point was more it's silly trying to dismiss the statement when the studio said poster is praising takes similar time.

Another game with HQ car models Driveclub takes seven months

Shin

Banned
I just hope his fetish of more polygons on cars alone doesn't get in the way of better trees on a PS5 GT.
I seriously hate looking at them in videos and it's one of the things that keeps me away from GT, that and I'm more into arcade style racers.
Though I do like the complete package GT offers, just would like a better overall picture than everything going into the cars alone.
If the model are future proof then more power to them, hopefully he doesn't backtrack and redo everything because it's just going to be a repeat of the past.

What does he insinuate? They already have a PS5 prototype hardware and they are testing the game with it?
According to Matt preliminary information was given about the console so developers have an idea what to expect or at the very least Sony asked for feedback.
He's all vague about it, but he said don't worry about backward compatibility so that seems to be a thing (PS5 playing PS4 games), I'd expect PD to know what's up as well.
Something along those lines...

Journey

Banned
:lol

Seriously though, 6 months to make one car?
Who runs that studio and why are they in charge.

Who runs their PR and why are they in charge?

Seriously though, I think that 8k comment is nothing more than a response to the competition announcing that they're already running at 4K/60. You have to make a bar raising statement I guess.

If what he meant was "Our engine is very scalable and could run at 8K with reasonable CPU/GPU resources" (unlike many older engines)... then sure.

But don't mention PS5, common man. I'm still bummed out about that "direct drive" GT Sport Thrustmaster Wheel BS he told multiple outlets about.

What does he mean by :

It's over-specced for PS4 Pro. So we are building for future versions of the console rather than the one we see today

Does he mean that even the PS4 PRO isn't enough for his cars and game and he needs a more powerful next-gen console? he has been seeing this in every generation. Yet his GTS cars and whole game doesn't look as good as Driveclub or pack any of ist advanced techs which is a launch PS4 game.
Too over pretentious to be believed.

Kyoufu

What does he mean by :

Does he mean that even the PS4 PRO isn't enough for his cars and game and he needs a more powerful next-gen console? he has been seeing this in every generation. Yet his GTS cars and whole game doesn't look as good as Driveclub or pack any of ist advanced techs which is a launch PS4 game.
Too over pretentious to be believed.

He means the assets are built with future hardware in mind, not just PS4.

Top Bottom