• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

positional tracking: What it is, how its done, and why Valves tracker is a revolution

Jashobeam

When you move forward in VR, you experience a slight "hit" to your stomach at the start of your motion, but it's not continuous. Motion along a forward or backwards vector isn't bad. What is killer is yaw rotation. That alone is probably the biggest challenge facing VR.

I wonder if the classic Resident Evil tank movement would be a solution for some games since you rotate before you start moving forward, and to rotate you would need to turn your head left or right. I haven't tried VR but turning around using a controller without your head actually moving seems like it wouldn't be a very fun experience
for your stomach

Krejlooc

Banned
But we're just talking about tracking the position of the wand in 3D space, real or otherwise.

The Vive has 3 devices, each tracked independently with inside-out tracking.
If there's no overlap in the dots they're tracking for their respective position, then there would be an issue with positioning each device relative to one another. ie your hands could be further away from your head than they're supposed to be.

Unless, your PC has a complete picture of where the dots are in the room.

I touched on it a bit earlier in the thread, but this isn't purely inside-out tracking. When people say inside-out or outside-in tracking, it is assumed they are also using sensor fusion with the IMUs. Forward Kinematics helps solve this.

Wires. You gonna be wrapped like a mummy if you spin indefinitely.

That's why you suspend the cables above you. Also, the controllers should be wireless by the time we get them, so it's only the headset to worry about. Moving one cable out of the way occassionally shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT:
I wonder if the classic Resident Evil tank movement would be a solution for some games since you rotate before you start moving forward, and to rotate you would need to turn your head left or right. I haven't tried VR but turning around using a controller without your head actually moving seems like it wouldn't be a very fun experience
for your stomach

The issue isn't moving and turning at the same time, it's turning using a control stick at all. Currently the most comfortable way to do it is to actually make the camera instantly adjust in increments of about 30 to 45 degress -- there's no "turn" to screw with your head, but you still see to that side.

With the Vive, you'll just have to turn, which will negate this need.

Krejlooc

Banned
for your stomach

naw, that doesn't work very well either. We've tried a bunch of solutions. One that people like is using bumper buttons on a controller to do instant 30 degree turns. It's recently been discovered that jump cuts - like the kind that goes on in films - actually work in VR. You can do jump cuts without feeling sick. So rather than smoothly rotating about, if you just sort of transport to new orientations in large increments, it feels better.

But not as good as actually, physically turning.

shira

Positional tracking is what everybody always wanted motion controls to be. In the above example, if we could accurately track the position of our hand in space (i.e. knowing with absolute certainty where it was every single time we checked, in X, Y, and Z) then we could let a physics engine take over and actually launch the ball correctly. It's not triggering a pitching event in this example, but rather our actual position of the hand is influencing a physics engine. This is how reality works, and it feels much better.

So why is valve's positional tracking so revolutionary? Because, by nature of their inside-out tracking, you can now always have accurate 1:1 positional tracking, in all space, all at once.

This is a very big deal going forward. This not only influences tracking of limbs, but also the head itself. Valve's lighthouse tracker is about to change the name of motion controls in a big way. If anybody ever dreamed of a light saber demo with the wii, valve's tracker makes it possible today.

Feel free to ask any clarification, I adore talking about positional tracking. I think it's fundamentally fascinating.

A lot of people are going to be in for a huge surprise that they can't throw or swordfight 1:1.

Those tasks require skill, although you can mime a 90 mph fastball or chop a light saber doesn't mean you can do it properly or accurately. Despite what you think you have done in your mind - a 1:1 will show you that you are actually terrible.

It goes back to Kinect's Just Dance. Professional dancers could actually do the dances at max difficulty because they have training and talent. I didn't research this but I think it's safe to say that overweight game editors could not.

Yes you people are going to get your 1:1, but you are going to be extremely disappointed in the results.

JaggedSac

That's why you suspend the cables above you. Also, the controllers should be wireless by the time we get them, so it's only the headset to worry about. Moving one cable out of the way occassionally shouldn't be too bad.

If I have to screw stuff into my ceiling...no thank you. I'd rather wear a backpack with a laptop in it, lol.

A lot of people are going to be in for a huge surprise that they can't throw or swordfight 1:1.

Those tasks require skill, although you can mime a 90 mph fastball or chop a light saber doesn't mean you can do it properly or accurately. Despite what you think you have done in your mind - a 1:1 will show you that you are actually terrible.

It goes back to Kinect's Just Dance. Professional dancers could actually do the dances at max difficulty because they have training and talent. I didn't research this but I think it's safe to say that overweight game editors could not.

Yes you people are going to get your 1:1, but you are going to be extremely disappointed in the results.

Honestly I think this is going to be one of the larger pushbacks on VR -- people will say "well I can aim with a mouse better" and write it off because they don't know how to fire a weapon.

Not that actual training will ever get to the level as an actual weapon, but it will give you better appreciation.

EDIT:
If I have to screw stuff into my ceiling...no thank you. I'd rather wear a backpack with a laptop in it, lol.
As I said, you won't NEED to, only to turn indefinitely. Since this is a concern that's only coming up with the Vive, we'll probably end up finding some crazy way to avert that in itself.

Krejlooc

Banned

Ah, but you see, the beauty of simulation is you can fudge the results without people knowing. It's not hard to make a basketball automatically correct itself mid-air to always go into the basket, as an example.

Is that accurate? Nope. But you can make it invisible to the person - make them think their skill is above where they are.

But your general point is correct - in VR, you are limited by what you can physically do. Why don't we backflip constantly? Because doing so will make you sick as hell. And, just like in real life, if you do that in VR, you'll get just as sick.

I think bullet time stuff will make for some awesome VR experiences. Imagine a football game where you embody the wide receiver, and the ball slows down in the air as you position your hands to catch it. You can make for dramatic, unrealistic moments.

I have absolutely no knowledge on Valve's solution, but I do have a question:
Where is the lighthouse placed? On the ceiling? On top of the headset? Because if it is on a table, your body could cover part of the lights if you turned 180. Or it doesn't matter due to a cone larger than the possible shadow cast into the wall? Am I being clear?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
There is also magnetic induction tracking, which the razer hydras and sixense stems use, but those have problems as well.

What problems do they run into? I have an order in for the STEM set - just the two controllers for use while seated.

Edit: Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like it'll be ok for what I had in mind, but the Lighthouse-based stuff will be better when it arrives. I'll hold onto that order anyway, assuming they can ship sometime before HTC has these available.

Krejlooc

Banned
Where is the lighthouse placed? On the ceiling? On top of the headset? Because if it is on a table, your body could cover part of the lights if you turned 180. Or it doesn't matter due to a cone larger than the possible shadow cast into the wall? Am I being clear?

the demos apparently had them placed on the ceiling, but they should be good to go so long as they are somewhere in the room.

JaggedSac

Swordfighting will never work because there will be nothing to stop your sword in the real world. For example, there couldn't be a game where you swing a sword and hit a shield.

I think you can just place it anywhere. Unless you covered the base station with a cloth, as long as enough of the lasers can reach the walls it'll be enough for the sensors to track

Stuff like this is precisely why, as I said earlier in the thread, knowing the process is easy, but actually pulling it off is hard. I honestly have no idea how valve gets around this problem. I suspect we'll learn soon enough, however.

They flat-out have some smart people working there.

I've no doubt they have smart people.
When I raised this issue in the other thread, it was in response to the engadget hands-on that reported inaccuracy with the motion tracking where they picked up the wrong object.
I theorized that this could be caused by the position of the headset, and the position of the wand not being correctly determined relative to one another.

I touched on it a bit earlier in the thread, but this isn't purely inside-out tracking. When people say inside-out or outside-in tracking, it is assumed they are also using sensor fusion with the IMUs. Forward Kinematics helps solve this.

IMUs wouldn't help in positioning each device relative to the other, in the case where each device sees independent sections of the constellation.

I'm not trying to say the system has a fatal flaw. I'm really just suggesting that there will likely be an initial calibration process that involves looking around or in some way using the sensors to build a picture of your room, so that the software can instantly recognize that the sensor is pointed at the right wall, and is approximately 10 feet from it, at X angle.

What problems do they run into? I have an order in for the STEM set - just the two controllers for use while seated.

Essentially, they are most accurate when close to the station. As you get further away, they become less accurate, and they aren't particularly the fastest of solutions. It's similar to the problem of occlusion.

For the record though, I have the Hydra, and it works fine as long as I'm next to my desk facing the base station. It's not PERFECT, but it's good enough. The Stem is supposedly a huge improvement, so I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

Krejlooc

Banned

Tracking for magnetic induction is inherently noisey - there is magnetic interference all around us which manifests in random spikes in your polling. To compensate, as programmers, we implement a high-pass noise filter which basically checks over numerous sample readings and throws out any anomolous, outlier readings. The problem is that, in order to determine which readings are outliers, you need to provide many samples. The more samples you provide, the more time you are taking to read those samples and gather them in the first place.

This creates a catch 22 - either you have very latent readings that are accurate, or you have low latency readings that are inaccurate.

On top of this, accuracy away from the base drops apparently logarithmically past a certain threshold. Now, the STEMs have IMUs inside now and do sensor fusion to speed up their accuracy, but until I have them in my hands, I will continue to have concerns.

Now obviously, given I work on HL2VR, I am still high on the STEMs, and think they sound awesome. But until I can run tests myself, these are my concerns.

IMACOMPUTA

I'm not sure I understand your question. You mean can you use this to better subtract "selected" color in film? Like, traditional green screening?

Actually, a 3D camera like Kinect is much better suited for that job.

Sorry I wasn't very specific.
As an alternative to a greenscreen, could you use an IR-dotted room to create a backdrop that "sticks" to the IR instead of color, as a greenscreen normally does?

Krejlooc

Banned
Sorry I wasn't very specific.
As an alternative to a greenscreen, could you use an IR-dotted room to create a backdrop that "sticks" to the IR instead of color, as a greenscreen normally does?

I suppose you could, but like I said, I think a 3D camera would be better suited for this task.

Thanks guys.
That's extremely impressive. It is nigh impossible to try VR here in Brazil, so I can't wait for my first chance at it.

Swordfighting will never work because there will be nothing to stop your sword in the real world. For example, there couldn't be a game where you swing a sword and hit a shield.

Actually, while it can never be 100% accurate, there are ways around this (sort of). There's lots of fanagling you'd need to do, but one solution I thought of was to have "breaking" swords.

So say you're swinging a sword, and a person blocks it. The point of blocking a sword attack is ultimately to prevent it from hitting you, so while you can't physically deflect that person's hand, you can accomplish the "not getting hit" part, by "breaking" the sword off at the point of impact, as if you had a glass sword. You would still be able to swing your arm fully without watching an impact recoiling animation, and the person defending will have defended. From there, let's say magic repairs the sword after a moment or two (as sort of a failure cool down) to allow for subsequent attacks.

Beyond that, instead of using magic, you could instead have something akin to lighsabers, where contact with the shield disrupts the blade, or something like that.

No, it won't be perfectly realistic, but I think for most gamers it will be more than sufficient to have a lot of fun.

Me after reading Krejlooc:

65700-Jon-Stewart-mind-blown-gif-kNso.gif

Stuff like this is precisely why, as I said earlier in the thread, knowing the process is easy, but actually pulling it off is hard. I honestly have no idea how valve gets around this problem. I suspect we'll learn soon enough, however.

They flat-out have some smart people working there.

Ever since I heard about it I've been dying to figure out what they did. The best I could come up with is that they do the old light pen trick by determining your position based on the timing of the light point you are looking at. So you could have one lighthouse show its lights rotating from the top down, and the other show its lights going from the left to the right with both being different colors so they can easily be differentiated. Then you could use the timing of when you see a light source to determine where it is along the axis that it is color coded to track. All you need is some calibration and the ability to see two points of light of different colors at the same time to determine your orientation.

An empty bedroom? Also, wires will mess with moving and turning unless wireless. Regardless, I don't think moving around in real life will be useful during these first generation of devices. Might be cool to go somewhere that has empty spaces for you to play this stuff in. I sure am not moving stuff around to use thus stuff.
For the wires you could do like was previously stated and use a stand to have them overhead. you could then use the redirected walking technique to make sure the player doesn't turn too much in one direction and twist the cables.

Thanks for the explanation. If the devices are mainly using forward facing cameras what are all the weird things covering htc's devices, do they also emit light to be tracked by something else? (2 way tracking)

IMACOMPUTA

I've been thinking about this shit non-stop since I heard about it.

Imagine this:

A facility outfitted with lighthouse tech everywhere. 10-20 people with Vive HMD's and IR suits (or something).
A fucking real life/VR death match. This doesn't even sound far-fetched anymore. This is going to happen, and that's awesome.

Incredible info cache. Thank you to the posters sharing their knowledge on this fascinating subject, and to the OP for starting it all up.

JaggedSac

So they say the base station is tracking you and the controller. Is this incorrect on TheVerge's part or is the station doing more stuff?

Actually, while it can never be 100% accurate, there are ways around this (sort of). There's lots of fanagling you'd need to do, but one solution I thought of was to have "breaking" swords.

So say you're swinging a sword, and a person blocks it. The point of blocking a sword attack is ultimately to prevent it from hitting you, so while you can't physically deflect that person's hand, you can accomplish the "not getting hit" part, by "breaking" the sword off at the point of impact, as if you had a glass sword. You would still be able to swing your arm fully without watching an impact recoiling animation, and the person defending will have defended. From there, let's say magic repairs the sword after a moment or two (as sort of a failure cool down) to allow for subsequent attacks.

Beyond that, instead of using magic, you could instead have something akin to lighsabers, where contact with the shield disrupts the blade, or something like that.

No, it won't be perfectly realistic, but I think for most gamers it will be more than sufficient to have a lot of fun.

Sure, anything that doesn't result in a desync of where your hand is in real world versus virtual. I think a light saber thing of blocking laser blasts might be cool. But a light saber duel could never happen. Not until we have mechanized suits to wear, or games start getting into our brain and simulating nerve and muscle feeling, lol.

Raticus79

Thanks for the explanation. If the devices are mainly using forward facing cameras what are all the weird things covering htc's devices, do they also emit light to be tracked by something else?

It just looks like a ton of cameras to me - maybe for redundancy and getting more data?

Reference image from the HTC Vive thread:

Heres the controllers apparently:
BfwXCZa.jpg

Wish the left controller had an analog stick. I recognise a touch pad is useful for one hands interaction with elements, but locomotion is always going to be best served by a physical stick.

You corrected it with the Steam Controller Valve, get this one right too! Please!

So they say the base station is tracking you and the controller. Is this incorrect on TheVerge's part or is the station doing more stuff?

I'd say it's incorrect - the base station projects the beams which allow the headset and the controllers to track themselves.

JaggedSac

For the wires you could do like was previously stated and use a stand to have them overhead. you could then use the redirected walking technique to make sure the player doesn't turn too much in one direction and twist the cables.

Yeah, I'm not pulling out a wire stand, lol. I've also not got a good spot to be walking around in my house even with redirection. Maybe if I cleared out a bunch of stuff first. But damn that would be a pain. Basically, I would need a VR room. I'm looking forward to this stuff, but I really don't see moving around physically being used much.

Reallink

I have dark gray almost near black walls and Kinect 2.0 doesn't work very well at all, I presume cause the IR field projection is largely absorbed by the dark color? I'm assuming I'm going to have similar issues with this Lighthouse tech, the light markers are going to be absorbed?

Thanks for the explanation. If the devices are mainly using forward facing cameras what are all the weird things covering htc's devices, do they also emit light to be tracked by something else? (2 way tracking)

They are not simply forward facing cameras. Those camera are in an array to cover an almost 360 degree field around them. That's why there are so many of those on the headset and wands, they are each pointing in different directions to get as much of the world as they can.

Also all those things on the headset are the cameras.

EDIT:
So they say the base station is tracking you and the controller. Is this incorrect on TheVerge's part or is the station doing more stuff?So they say the base station is tracking you and the controller. Is this incorrect on TheVerge's part or is the station doing more stuff?
The base station does not track anything. It provides that which is tracked. This is the Verge's error.

Actually, how costly would this system be? Of course it'll be more costly than a webcam and an array of LEDs, but just thinking about it it feels like you'd need a ton of lasers and several cameras per device. Can a single light source (or a couple of them) be diffracted to make the entire marker field? Are the sensors on the headset and controller much simpler than actual IR cameras?

I somehow recall Valve saying that this wasn't going to be expensive, but a couple dozen lasers and half a dozen sensors sounds more expensive than the headset itself (which is basically a smartphone parts-wise afaik).

Actually, how costly would this system be? Of course it'll be more costly than a webcam and an array of LEDs, but just thinking about it it feels like you'd need a ton of lasers and several cameras per device. Can a single light source (or a couple of them) be diffracted to make the entire marker field? Are the sensors on the headset and controller much simpler than actual IR cameras?

I somehow recall Valve saying that this wasn't going to be expensive, but a couple dozen lasers and half a dozen sensors sounds more expensive than the headset itself (which is basically a smartphone parts-wise afaik).

Two things: I'm fairly certain that you could theoretically do the entire Lighthouse set up with two or three IR LEDs. The biggest issue is having enough that you can have several different blink patterns. I don't work at valve though. Also LED's aren't expensive.

The cameras... I'd imagine that since they are strictly IR cameras, they shouldn't be particularly expensive. Keep in mind the Wii remotes had a 720p IR camera in each controller, a decade ago, in a package that made a tidy profit for $40.

Yeah, I'm not pulling out a wire stand, lol. I've also not got a good spot to be walking around in my house even with redirection. Maybe if I cleared out a bunch of stuff first. But damn that would be a pain. Basically, I would need a VR room. I'm looking forward to this stuff, but I really don't see moving around physically being used much.
That's fine. Some people can't see paying hundreds of dollars for a console and 60 dollars for a game to be worth it either. Everybody doesn't have to value everything equally. I'm sure there will be plenty on seated games too like driving, mechs, RTSs...

Oh they're all cameras? Interesting. I'd seen the two circles in the middle of the visor and thought that was it.
That's a lot of cameras then. So a final unit could cover those dimples with an IR passive black looking plastic cover presumably?

That's fine. Some people can't see paying hundreds of dollars for a console and 60 dollars for a game to be worth it either. Everybody doesn't have to value everything equally. I'm sure there will be plenty on seated games too like driving, mechs, RTSs...

I mean, isn't every game possibly a seated game? Just with a controller instead of physically walking?

Two things: I'm fairly certain that you could theoretically do the entire Lighthouse set up with two or three IR LEDs. The biggest issue is having enough that you can have several different blink patterns. I don't work at valve though. Also LED's aren't expensive.

The cameras... I'd imagine that since they are strictly IR cameras, they shouldn't be particularly expensive. Keep in mind the Wii remotes had a 720p IR camera in each controller, a decade ago, in a package that made a tidy profit for $40.

Just regular IR LEDs would work? I somehow had the impression that the light sources were specialized somehow

Oh they're all cameras? Interesting. I'd seen the two circles in the middle of the visor and thought that was it.
That's a lot of cameras then. So a final unit could cover those dimples with an IR passive black looking plastic cover presumably?

While my instinct is to say "But of course!", I just thought of the idea that putting something like that on it might interfere with the clarity of the IR image that they are picking up. It's totally fine to do something like that with anything that is one or two IR lights... but if you have thousands of them everywhere... That might create an issue.

But, I certainly don't expect the headset to look like that at launch.

EDIT:
Just regular IR LEDs would work? I somehow had the impression that the light sources were specialized somehow

Krej can probably correct me on this if I'm wrong, but most of the "specialization" comes from the whole assembly. It's not the LED's that are special (aside from maybe brightness), it's the container they are in focusing them into dots that is.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Not interested in walking around my cramped living room .

What I am interested in though is motion capturing my hands and fingers with an IR lens on the headset and some IR strobe gloves... Or whatever that blue light tech is.

That way I can really feel like I'm present in a virtual space.

Something about holding two ping pong rackets and seeing two mannequin hands doesn't yell immersive at me...

Not interested in walking around my cramped living room .

What I am interested in though is motion capturing my hands and fingers with an IR lens on the headset and some IR strobe gloves... Or whatever that blue light tech is.

That way I can really feel like I'm present in a virtual space.

Something about holding two ping pong rackets and seeing two mannequin hands doesn't yell immersive at me...

Have you used VR before? Even using just the Hydra (which is nowhere near the capabilities of this), it's INCREDIBLY immersive, as well as incredibly functional. Trying to track individual fingers A). wouldn't work at all with this, and B). would be compute heavy trying to not only keep track of those fingers, but also map virtual fingers to in game. To be clearer, it's much easier for a game to say "If hand is touching object, pressing X grabs it" than it is to say "If all fingers are around object, and squeezing, perform a bunch of collision calculations to grab and pull it", not to mention it'd be harder for you to maintain your grip.

Raticus79

Oh yeah, I see the ones in the centre you're talking about now. Those would be normal cameras for your "outside" view when activated. The rest would be the cheaper IR cameras for the tracking.

I'm surprised they're stacked vertically instead of one having one for each eye for a stereo view. There must be a good reason for that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You can do really cool stuff with VR. I don't know if many grasp what it actually does - it's taking over an entire sense. Being a man of science, I believe we are nothing more than series of impulses in our brain, fed by our senses. Hijacking a major sense like sight gives us the power to alter our ability to perceive. We create realities in our heads.

This is the coolest of cool techs, IMO.

You're right about us being driven by impulses, but hormones are far more powerful than our senses, and they can also be manipulated.

Aces&Eights

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Lord, I hope I live to see all this stuff sold on shelves. Ever since I watched my first Star Trek I've wanted this. Come on, ticker, just keep beating a few....more....years....

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Lord, I hope I live to see all this stuff sold on shelves. Ever since I watched my first Star Trek I've wanted this. Come on, ticker, just keep beating a few....more....years....

Last I'd heard you'll have this for Christmas. This year.

This is a fantastic thread and you seem very knowledgeable, OP. Gonna spend a bit of time reading through it, interesting stuff :eek:

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Awesome thread, Krejlooc!

You didn't mention motion plus (which is equivalent to ps move, right?) for the Wiimote in your original post. I was wondering if you could say a few words about that.

I also wonder about the 15ftx15ft (aka 5x5 meters for non-us gaffers) current limitation of lighthouse. How hard would it be to increase this surface? Or should I ask about volume instead? I don't think they mentioned a maximum height,

I've been thinking about this shit non-stop since I heard about it.

Imagine this:

A facility outfitted with lighthouse tech everywhere. 10-20 people with Vive HMD's and IR suits (or something).
A fucking real life/VR death match. This doesn't even sound far-fetched anymore. This is going to happen, and that's awesome.
So laser quest?

Top Bottom