• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power of Wii hardware versus Gamecube hardware

Rich!

I know the Wii is a little more powerful than GC, but to be honest, I didn't see play many games on Wii that looked better than Starfox Adventures...and that was from 2002.

Yeah but that was by Rare. Many gamecube games looked inferior to Bad Fur Day!

Madao

That's not true. Just taken two screenshots for proof, one from MP GC and one from MPT.

I was mistaken - that's not cropped. That's true 16:9.

nice find.

still, the cutscenes did get cropped and the HUD wasn't redone for 16:9. doesn't escape the cheap port territory.

jackal27

Banned
Really? GC was a massive leap over N64, so that would have been terrible if true.

Rare was definitely a special case, but you're right to an extent. Personally I feel that part of the problem is that many developers aside from Nintendo didn't really take full advantage of what the Wii had to offer. Lots and lots and rush jobs and quick payouts.

nice find.

still, the cutscenes did get cropped and the HUD wasn't redone for 16:9. doesn't escape the cheap port territory.

The whole HUD thing wasn't redone since they did it by using 3d models to make that visor hud. So they would have had to adjust the model of it to work with 16:9.

Yeah but that was by Rare. Many gamecube games looked inferior to Bad Fur Day!

hW2vqoy.png

Rich!

My bad fur day nostalgia goggles are firmly on

Let me rectify that. Instead I will say that Rogue Leader, the GC launch game was never bettered, even considering the Wii catelogue.

Peltz

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation about Metroid Prime: Trilogy being thrown around in the thread. Obviously, the Wii is more powerful than the GameCube.

Metroid Prime (the original) featured smoke emitting from the arm cannon when firing a lot of power beam shots in a row. In addition, other effects, such as the arm cannon freezing over when charging the ice beam, and burning when charging the plasma beam were present. These features were removed in Trilogy because in the GameCube game, these are simply 2D images layered onto the screen, which was fine since the arm cannon always appeared in the same spot on the screen. Obviously, that wouldn't work with the arm cannon moving around on the Wii. For Prime 2 and 3, the effects on the arm cannon were finally modeled as full particle effects on the cannon itself, so moving the Wii Remote around works just fine. They didn't fix it for Prime 1, because let's be honest, why do the effort?

And for this widescreen cropping during gameplay - I don't know where that's coming from. The gameplay is very much 16:9. However, the cutscenes are cropped: since the original cutscenes were in 4:3, the new cutscenes had three options - zooming in slightly while keeping it 16:9, putting black bars on the sides of cutscenes, or remaking every single cutscene. They chose the first option.

This is correct... except with regard to the elevator cutscenes (e.g. that hide loading of new areas). I believe those are 4:3 stretched to 16:9, rather than cropped... You can tell because Samus looks slightly chunky during those scenes. Otherwise, yes, the cutscenes are indeed cropped at the top and bottom, and the gameplay is real 16:9 widescreen.

Top Bottom