• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

GhaleonEB

Token XBox spin before turning in:

*Six month delay of PS3 in Japan
*"Basic" online service to be free, ala Live - no information on what is included
*Promise of 60 GB HDD, but not listed in spec sheet or press release - called "perhipheral" and "detachable"
*Minimum price in Japan of $425 (likely w/o HDD)
*No game footage or announcements whatsoever
Great show!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled wanking. :p

Jonnyram said:
No games announced.
That speaks volumes, imo.
If they'd secured anything major at this point, they would surely be singing and dancing about it.

You are definitely grasping here friend.

There's already over a hundred games announced in development for PS3.

If they can't get the copy protection stuff worked out for the here and now I doubt they will get it in order soon enough to produce as many PS3s as will likely fill demand. If there is any more to do on the HDMI end too it is going to really impact production.

I'm expecting delays. They said spring in Japan before and they missed it. Them saying November worldwide now still isn't impressing me. They may get it out in time though.

Also, if dev kits are going to go out in the next few months expect the games for the machine at E3 to look shoddy.

Juice

Good game Microsoft! We had some fun there for a while, didn't we?

(I suddenly feel a little more vindicated about still thinking the Xbox 360 had a good chance of going the way of the Dreamcast.)

The Hard Drive:
I think the keywords of the hard drive being "required" and "detachable" are both easily explained with Kutaragi's declaration of it being "upgradeable." If it's required to play games, and programmers should be making games assuming it's there, that's all one needs to assert it's included. At this point, the information seems to indicate they're bundling the HDD.

The Price
If it's retailing at a bit above 4,0000en, a $399 price-point would be most likely for the US. Didn't that one article indicate a pricing floor of 5,0000en? That'd seem to indicate $449-$499 for the US. Good thing I got a promotion at work today!

The Linux
The fact that the retail version will support Linux is HUGE. That basically opens the door to homebrew. Whether or not Sony offers a Live Arcade out the gate, the fact they're not an asshole closed-system dictator like Microsoft means that people will probably be able to boot Linux and code, distribute, and play homebrew for the system.

Even at $500, I personally would buy the thing just to have a mother-fucking-cell media Linux workstation. No doubt, that's the biggest news for me in all this. Linux + Cell + HDD = PVRability, to boot. Then you can just wirelessly drop those movies on your PSP.

Seriously, Sony just fulfilled pretty much everyone's wet dream over things people were concerned about (Spring launch was never going to happen).

----

So as I've been saying for a year: PS3 + Rev FTW

bigfurb

All very interesting, but i wanted to see some games dammit!!! They need to give us somethig to get rid of that foul boxguy aftertaste

$499 with a hard drive sounds more than reasonable. Think about what you get over the $399 360:

- 3x larger hard drive.
- high-definition Blu-ray playback out of the box.
- built-in Wi-fi, a seperate $100 accessory for the 360.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Are you seriously entertaining the notion that a system with the kind of hardware that the PS3 will have, with a high-speed proprietary CPU, brand new blue laser drive, wi-fi hardware, fairly high-end GPU, and a half-gig of high-speed memory will come with a 60gig HDD for $400-450 anywhere in the world at the end of this year? You crazy.

Ehh...I wasn't even assuming $400-450 with all that! So no. Just the word on the HDD shifted so much in the last..well..30 minutes ( :lol ) that I wanted to be sure. I think it's fairly clear now, with Fishie's comment.

Kangu

Banned
There is a precedent for a 'requiered' peripheral: Memory cards. So maybe the 60 GB HDD will be the PS3's memory card?

Everyone who bought a PS2 at launch paid 299.99 + 34.99.

Ps3 is probably going to be 399.99 + whatever a 60 GB Hdd goes for.

I leaning towards this scenario mainly because of the earlier comments suggesting developers code for the HDD or otherwise it would fail and on the fact that an HDD really hurts the cost curve for Sony. Not to mention the high failure rates of HDD's and Sony's already iffy track record with hardware quality, putting an HDD in there seems like a formula for disaster.

That said, if Sony is finally going all out with their vision of the PS3 as the entertainment hub of the living room then an HDD is an ABSOLUTE necessity. I'm just not sure they're that commited to Kutaragi's plan quite yet. At least, not at whatever cost it's currently at.

crunker99

im not really sure why everyoen is turning this into a sony just dropped a bomb that will kill the xbox360 thread

here is what we know pretty much

PS3 has Xbox360 has
--------- ---------------
Basic Online Free X X
Media Center Functions X X
Global Launch X X
Around 399.99 Price X X
Optional HDD (possible) X X

if anyting it looks like sony and xbox360 will be closer than ever, at least feature wise, here in the US

Why does it have to turn into sony kills xbox360 or vice versa?

well spacing didnt workout on that did it? but u get the idea, besides blu-ray and hdmi, niether of which has been conclusively proved to be an advantage to gaming, there isnt huge differences

i think at this point all we can say conclusively is that if everythign goes exactly as planned the PS3 will have its advantages over the xbox360, and VICE VERSA

Pachael

Kolgar: Yay!, since AU was never seen as part of Asia (more EU, but releases usually still come out later, X360 FTL)

Lots of cool stuff in the spec: Supported media: PS1, PS2 games, CD-DA, SACD, DualDisc (music/DVD), DVD, Blue-Ray. <b>PS3 games can be in DVD-ROM or BD-ROM</b>. 6 USBs, Mem Stick, SD, CF, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi AND Bluetooth (up to 7), HDD...

There's no mention of memory card slots though, will the adapter (if any) be separate?

What have we learned tonight?

The PS3 comes out in November and will have some kind of online service. That's it. That's the only concrete information. No price, just a hint (at least 50,000 yen [$424]), and still no actual game footage. As gamers I believe we all only care about price and games, the two things Sony avoided with this little event.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
GhaleonEB said:
Token XBox spin before turning in:

*Six month delay of PS3 in Japan
*"Basic" online service to be free, ala Live - no information on what is included
*Promise of 60 GB HDD, but not listed in spec sheet or press release - called "perhipheral" and "detachable"
*Minimum price in Japan of $425 (likely w/o HDD)

Great show!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled wanking. :p
That's not spin that's the conference in a nutshell. It was essentially just confirming stuff we already knew or logically guessed.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Am I the only one who finds this interesting?

"- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD"

Or did I miss something previously?

Amir0x

Banned
Fishie flop oog said:
Well here is a fact: Sony cant even guarantee 100% PS2 compatibility on PS2 revisions so what makes people believe they can guarantee it for PS3?

Oh and Hard Disk does not come standard.

Fishie, I don't think ANYONE (definitely not me) is actually thinking it's gonna be 100% COLD HARD FACT. I'm thinking more along the lines of 95%, which is slightly less than PS2 which was like 98%. And that's damn good.

And too bad on HDD. That changes mood again :\

medrew

Diablos said:
10 years ago, $299 seemed like a LOT. Now, we are basically begging for a $299 PS3 pricetag, despite the fact that we know that's more than likely not going to be a reality. Sony knows that we do not see a the $299 pricetag as being so high anymore. $400 is the new $300.

So I guess what we should be concerned about is if it will go OVER $400. Once they cross that they are getting into really dangerous territory, especially if MS drops the 360 to ~$250 in time for the holidays

Just to put things into perspective you have to consider inflation.
My very crude calculations of 2% inflation per year give:
299*1.02^10 = $365 in 2006 money.

Still a sizeable difference for launch. medrew am cry.

Reilly

cum.gif

Andy787

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No games announced.
That speaks volumes, imo.
If they'd secured anything major at this point, they would surely be singing and dancing about it.
At their Business meeting? I dunno, I think they've got plenty planned for E3, and possibly GDC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
crunker99 said:
im not really sure why everyoen is turning this into a sony just dropped a bomb that will kill the xbox360 thread

PS3 has Xbox360 has
Basic Online Free X X
Global Launch X X
Around 399.99 Price X X

if anyting it looks like sony and xbox360 will be closer than ever, at least feature wise, here in the US

Lots of these things may be different from each other (free online play? when will ms up their hdd capacity? etc.), and you're forgetting other things too (blu-ray! obviously), just on a features for features basis.

crunker99

gofreak said:
Lots of these things may be different from each other (free online play? when will ms up their hdd capacity? etc.), and you're forgetting other things too (blu-ray! obviously), just on a features for features basis.

i edited it i think after u quoted :)

Jonnyram

Count Chocula said:
You are definitely grasping here friend.
At least I'm not flat out BSing like Massive Attack and friends...
There's been nothing new shown on the game front for a looooong time. If that's ok with you, who am I to complain. Today I didn't learn anything new about the PS3 - it was all PSP. Kind of disappointing.

White Man

Diablos said:
Hmm. Perhaps $350 was too good to be true. $400 is indeed expensive, but I guess it is to be expensive. This is not just a console, think about everything it has... it's somewhere in between a console and media center PC. Ken wasn't lying when he said the PS3 would be expensive, and I appreciate his honesty.

Please, keep in mind that these promises were also bandied about during the PS2 hype phase.

Dante

And in comes the damage control. Honestly so many great announcements across the board, I'm really excited about PS1 Emu for PSP, hopefully u'll be able to dl the games to PS3 HD then transfer them to your PSP when needed.

Rhindle

PLAYSTATION(R)3 Launches Worldwide in Early November 2006

Wednesday March 15, 2:56 am ET

TOKYO, March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in early November 2006 in Japan, North America and Europe simultaneously. With a monthly production capacity of one million units, SCEI will push forward a powerful product launch to spread the platform rapidly throughout the world, together with a strong and attractive lineup of PS3 game titles.

PS3 incorporates the final specifications of BD (Blu-ray Disc), and with the overwhelming computing power of PS3, it enables playback of BD software at a high bit rate. With a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security, BD is a highly anticipated storage medium that delivers digital entertainment content such as games and movies at an unparalleled level of image quality.

PS3 is compatible with a vast lineup of television sets currently out in the market, from standard-definition TV to full high-definition TV.

Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network.

SCEI, together with the support and cooperation of game content creators around the world, will strongly promote the creation of a new world of computer entertainment available on PS3.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one(TM) game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the PSP(TM) (PlayStation® Portable) entertainment system. The PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system is set to revolutionize the home entertainment market, offering the most compelling interactive content and the capability to be used as a network terminal in the coming broadband era. PSP is a new portable entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio.

Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

GhaleonEB

I'm really curious about the price, and the HDD, both left wide open. MS has some room to manuver there - drop to $300 and drop a few extras from the Premium pack? Gonna be a fun couple of years watching these two duke it out.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Its like they pull some jedi mind trick on some of you

Delay till November

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH THATS AWSOME BABY

it'll be more than $425 at launch

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH ITS $399.99

DCharlie

Banned
Am I the only one who finds this interesting?

"- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD"

Or did I miss something previously?

yeah, i thought they would have to alter their entire pressing plant to achieve this?

then again, i remember UMDs were going to be so cheap that we'd get magazines on them , and thats not happened either (although can't tell if that's people being crap with pricing policy or cost of creating the medium)

crunker99 said:

PS3 has Xbox360 has
Basic Online Free X X
Global Launch X X
Around 399.99 Price X X

well spacing didnt workout on that did it? but u get the idea, besides blu-ray and hdmi, niether of which has been conclusively proved to be an advantage to gaming, there isnt huge differences
It's because they're all still very high from the excitement of having anything offcially revealed by Sony to do with PS3. The brain works better once the blood flow from your raging erection has subsided and recirculates to the rest of the blood-starved body. I'm excited, but very skeptical overall.

cvxfreak

GhaleonEB said:
I'm really curious about the price, and the HDD, both left wide open. MS has some room to manuver there - drop to $300 and drop a few extras from the Premium pack? Gonna be a fun couple of years watching these two duke it out.

The last time people were this excited was when the PSP stuff was revealed - and look how that turned out.

Not trying to allude to anything, but there are still no guarantees.

GashPrex said:

Delay till November

<waves hand>

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH ITS $399.99
YEAH, SONY! YEAHHH! :)

I'm going to bed.

Odysseus

Banned
OK, I just checked out IGN PS3's coverage of what all has gone down, and my first impression is that Sony has spent the past year copying everything that Microsoft did with Xbox 360. Frankly, I commend them for it. Good call. Online, downloads, hard drive (except they did one better by making it standard), etc. Now just copy the controller and all will be good.

So since these things will be virtually identical outside of BluRay, is it time to restart the ONE CONSOLE FUTURE movement? If so, sign me up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GashPrex said:

Delay till November

<waves hand>

I'm not sure how many people expected it before Nov in the US, let alone Europe. Certainly after yesterday's "news".

GashPrex said:

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH ITS $399.99

I think $449 minus the HDD is quite probable.

TheDuce22

Banned
GashPrex said:

Delay till November

<waves hand>

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH ITS $399.99

Nah, they know as well as anyone none of this "new" info is really earth shattering and it isnt all good. Its part of the game though. Go GAF. :lol

Ranger X

Fuck. I just woke up and it took me half an hour to go through this thread LOLOL

Sony did it again? -- holyshit good news tonight! ;)

NOW WHERE ARE THE BACK TO THE FUTUR PHOTOSHOPS WITH KUTARAGI'S QUOTE???

(4th dimension)

DeadTrees

I just felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if ten thousand Sony engineers cried out all at once KEN YOU FUCKING FUCK WE'LL HAVE TO WORK 100 HOURS A WEEK FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS TO GET EVEN HALF THE SHIT YOU PROMISED READY O FUCKING CHRIST KILL ME MY LIFE IS RUINED

White Man

Dante said:
And in comes the damage control. Honestly so many great announcements across the board, I'm really excited about PS1 Emu for PSP, hopefully u'll be able to dl the games to PS3 HD then transfer them to your PSP when needed.

Can anyone give details on the PS1 on PSP thing? Is it just first gen PS1 games?

cvxfreak

DeadTrees said:
I just felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if ten thousand Sony engineers cried out all at once KEN YOU FUCKING FUCK WE'LL HAVE TO WORK 100 HOURS A WEEK FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS TO GET EVEN HALF THE SHIT YOU PROMISED READY O FUCKING CHRIST KILL ME MY LIFE IS RUINED

:lol :lol

ElyrionX

GashPrex said:

Delay till November

<waves hand>

<waves hand>

FUCK YEAH ITS $399.99

:lol

Didn't you hear? KUTARAGI AM JEDI!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gamespot says the 6m units shipped figure is through till March 2007. Would still be crazy if it happened, obviously.

VALIS

Heh. Some of you are trying rrrrrreally hard tonight. Planned global launch in November. No games. No price. Minor HW details. Seemingly copying XBL's pricing structure but no details on the actual service = WORLD DOMINATION. GAME OVER. Ken could walk up to a podium, blow his nose, mumble something about his cat, and there'd be people here comparing that conference to Winston Churchill's famous WWII one. Some of you guys are priceless.

I want to get excited about something. But what? My eyes started getting wider when the letters "HD" started flying around, but there's no confirmation on a hard drive yet. Agh. What are you guys so happy about? There's no details here except a planned November launch from the company that was saying even last week that spring was on track. Even the backwards compatibility is vague. What will be upscanned? And to what resolution? Gimme something.

Top Bottom