• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pres Obama now doing $400k speeches for Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI is investigating that. It's not even in the same universe as making a friggin speech. If the FBI has evidence Obama is being paid because of favors he performed in the White House then so be it. I have not heard anything like that.

We wouldn't have to investigate anything if people would stop forming relationships involving money that are potential conflicts of interest. Why isn't it in same universe? The amount of money?

Corruption happens in office. Obama is no longer in office.

Obama NEVER had a shred of corruption over his head during his Presidency, despite the GOP going full-out warfare against the black POTUS. He never had conflicts of interest because, just like previous presidents, he was transparent about his financials and investments.

Trump is a completely different monster, and the fact that you don't realize this just shows how bad the false-equivalence bullshit has become.

Rewards for corruption can be given after office. It happens when people leave government agencies such as FDA, FCC, and SEC. Obama didn't have conflict of interest problems because he didn't enter into any relationships that were conflicts of interest.

The kinds of people who are only interested in politics so they can cash out and get lucrative cushy do nothing jobs out of office are exactly the people you want to discourage from running. Them no longer interested is only a good thing.
Are you under the impression that the "private market" is comprised only of "lucrative cushy do nothing jobs". Good grief.

What you're suggesting should be the case would prevent people working at a McDonald's drive through out of office.

Nerokis

Banker man handed former President $400k to give a speech.

Former President's administration didn't press charges against criminals who robbed people and ruined the economy.

I say "Hmmm." Something is wrong here.

I'm sorry, but the fact that you don't see anything wrong with your reasoning makes me question your instincts.

Firstly, I wonder how many people invoking the "didn't press criminal charges against bankers" thing have carefully considered and researched the question. Obama also didn't press charges against people that liberals consider war criminals, people we know engaged in torture, from the administration that preceded his - there are reasons for this that don't at all require being paid off, or some kind of corruption.

Secondly, latching on so much to that question, but ignoring all the grief the banking industry had with his administration doesn't make sense. Whatever you think of Dodd-Frank, it had a significant enough impact that people in the industry were salivating at the chance to rewrite or undo it with an undivided Republican government. For such a corrupt politician, Obama sure was passionate about the whole financial regulation thing, enacting it even in the midst of a financial crisis. Not to mention raising taxes on the kind of people who populate the industry you're implying bought him off.

Finally, you're not really contextualizing the situation we're talking about. The public speaking circuit has been a thing for decades. The potential reasons to invite Obama to an event like the one in question are obvious: getting his unique perspective on things, raising the prestige of the conference and the companies involved, increasing demand for the conference, raising morale, etc., etc. Basically, a big overlap with the reasons that universities are willing to put down a lot of cash to get important speakers to show up at their campuses, as well. Feel free to put A and B together, if you'd like, but realize there's also C, D, E, F, and G, and B (let's say, corruption) isn't actually necessary or even called for.

Kin5290

I just don't understand stupid conspiracy theories like that. They don't make fucking sense at all.

Stop and think for one moment: if they're so corrupt and shit, then why would they bother creating a money-trail at all? Assuming this is true, why even actually give Obama the money at all? All that does is create a paper trail. I mean, what would Obama do when they don't actually end up coughing up the dough at all? Whine about them not fulfilling their end of the deal, and reveal he's corrupt or whatever? Yeah, cause that wouldn't backfire and just look bad on him. Can't complain without putting the spotlight on himself and revealing what's actually going on.

So, that being the case, why would they not, in these shady-backroom deals that apparently happened, just say that they're toooootally good for it and definitely going to pay him through some disguised gig at a later gig, and then just... not actually do it at all? Y'know, so there's not actually a paper trail at all, they get what they want, and Obama wouldn't be able to say anything without incriminating himself? What's the incentive for them to ever actually pay up at all, especially since they're all apparently so inherently shady and corrupt and unethical and would have no problem doing something shady like not actually fulfilling their end-up of a backroom deal. Oh yes, they're shady enough to make a backroom deal in the first place, but not shady enough to ever think about not fulfilling their end of the bargain to make sure they get what they want, not have to actually pay anything after all to get it, make sure there's not actually any money trail at all and get to have the guy keep his mouth shut as well since he wouldn't be able to say anything without making himself look bad.

Why instead is the smart thing to do, to do this all out in the open with easily proven money changing hands, instead of just not fulfilling their ends of the bargain, not having a money trail, and saving the money to boot. I mean, what would Obama even do in that situation if this shit were true? Just undo all the stuff he was apparently bribed to do with this corrupt money, and be a very bad, mean terrible person to them after all? Oh wait, he's not President anymore! He can't do fucking shit! What fucking reason would they have to spend a fucking dime if this shit were true? There's none. Absolutely none, and zero benefit to actually do so. They'd just tell him to go fuck himself--they got their's, up to him to deal with the rest. His fault for being an idiot and trusting that evil, corrupt, and untrustable Wall Street! Oh well!

Conspiracy theories are the dumbest shit, I swear.
Also, yeah, this. Why in the ever loving fuck with a President of the United States order his administration to shirk their duties in blind trust that Wall Street would reward him, after he leaves power and loses any ability to penalize Wall Street for not fulfilling their end of the bargain?

Conspiracy theories are so goddamn stupid.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
My ignore list blew up thanks to this thread. First time I ever utilized it. I also think I got a headache from all of this idiocy.

RDreamer

Banker man handed former President $400k to give a speech.

Former President's administration didn't press charges against criminals who robbed people and ruined the economy.

I say "Hmmm." Something is wrong here.

You serious here? Think about this for more than a second. The easier explanation for this is that President Obama is a far more pragmatic man that believes Wall Street aren't a bunch of evil robber barons and instead thinks they are intrinsically linked to our economy and we'd be better off reforming things and making advances rather than villainizing and going hard on them. He doesn't think they're criminals who robbed people and ruined the economy. At least not every single one of them and not in the way you apparently do. That's the way he's acted the whole time, and most likely not because he was thinking about that sweet sweet speech money after his presidency. That's ridiculous, because if he had come down hard on Wall Street do you really think there wouldn't be some people still willing to pay a lot to have him speak? He's a former president. He'll get speaking opportunities almost no matter what he did in office. Why would you think that would sway him on massive decisions?

slit

We wouldn't have to investigate anything if people would stop forming relationships involving money that are potential conflicts of interest. Why isn't it in same universe? The amount of money?

No, it's because there is NOTHING that indicates anything like what happened with Trump/Russia has happened here. All I've heard is a bunch of "That doesn't look right!"

Socreges

Banned
:lol You have to solicit the poster whether you're allowed to reply to their post on a message board? And please about pretending you were worried about whether I thought you'd respond or not, it was nothing more than you trying to insult me unprovoked like you have multiple times now. Cheers.
My point being that you come out of no where and escalate within the first sentence of a conversation. eg,

- I'm "crucifying" him
- saying "bullshit"
- alleging that he's going to lobby for them

It's jarring, but it's also par for the course. Consider a new approach to posting.

Are you under the impression that the "private market" is comprised only of "lucrative cushy do nothing jobs". Good grief.
I didn't say anything close to that. You are grossly misinterpreting my words.

The jobs I'm talking about are specifically the several million dollars a year lobbying and consulting gigs most senators and rep always seem to fall into, with industries they directly helped during their time in office.

Do you really think Eric Cantor is just busting his ass out there?

Jenov

Guys, politicians are going to be regular humans, not nuns or monks sworn to a life of poverty. Be realistic. Some of ya'll want to treat Obama like he's corrupt because he's not being a poor liberal messiah for the left or something.

kirblar

It's not a "do nothing job". Obama's time is limited, and therefore, super valuable. They're not paying him that much because it's hard, they're paying that much because there's only one Barack Obama.

This is why Celebs and Athletes make bank as well.

Nafai1123

Banned
Rewards for corruption can be given after office. It happens when people leave government agencies such as FDA, FCC, and SEC. Obama didn't have conflict of interest problems because he didn't enter into any relationships that were conflicts of interest.

Then you're implying that Obama was corrupt during his admin because he was going to receive speaking fees after office. There is not a shred of evidence to indicate this is true, and compared to the millions he's making off of his book deal, 400k is a paltry sum to abandon all of his morals.

It's already been discusses in here, but the POTUS has their hand in everything while in office. So what exactly can a POTUS do after office that can not be viewed as a conflict of interest, assuming that making any money whatsoever is an immediate sign of such conflicts existing? If he gave a speech at a tech company would people still be so upset? What about an automotive manufacturer, or a Hollywood gala?

Why can't I make the sense excuse for Trump? He hasn't been charged. It's only an investigation, that doesn't mean he will end up being charged.

Ugh, stop making this bullshit argument. You do realize that Trump hasn't been found guilty of anything primarily because the people in charge of looking have their heads buried in the sand right? Congress has had multiple chances to look at his taxes, GOP keep voting no. Your argument only has ground to stand on if you can argue that the GOP just didn't do ENOUGH to scrounge up dirt on Obama, and that's a tough argument to make.

Nerokis

The public speaking circuit is a generalized enough thing (i.e., Obama has a lot of options for making cash engaging with it) and has a self-sufficient enough set of market forces driving it (i.e., the demand for someone like Obama to speak has an obvious logic that doesn't require a symbiotic relationship with government) that the implied comparison to the revolving door problem is shallow at best.

He's giving a speech in November (...or perhaps September? I'm tired) at some health conference for investors. He's not going to become a banking lobbyist.

FoneBone

How do you feel about Citizens United? Is the money really that bad because you can't really prove that it's being used in a quid pro quo relationship here.

There's an inherent conflict of interest when someone in charge of regulation and other policy can expect that once there will be massive sums of money waiting for them when they finish their job. This doesn't mean that Obama is engaged in a quid pro quo relationship where he collaborated during his campaign to become president with the promise that he wouldn't prosecute bankers so that they'd pay him large sums of money. One elected official receiving an extravagantly large gift from someone doesn't mean they're necessarily bought off either. But we establish codes of ethics so that we can remove this situations entirely.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around how what (18 months or so ago) I'd have considered to be solidly right-wing positions on money in politics, conflicts of interest, and the revolving door became the center-left party line.

RDreamer

It's already been discusses in here, but the POTUS has their hand in everything while in office. So what exactly can a POTUS do after office that can not be viewed as a conflict of interest, assuming that making any money whatsoever is an immediate sign of such conflicts existing? If he gave a speech at a tech company would people still be so upset? What about an automotive manufacturer, or a Hollywood gala?

This is where I'm at with this. If you want to argue that he shouldn't be able to make money doing almost anything and we should pay the presidents more after their presidency to offset that in order to do away with corruption that's one thing. If you have no problem with him going to a tech company or an automotive manufacturer like this poster said and your argument is that he could be corrupted in this instance, then your actual problem isn't corruption. Your problem is with Wall Street itself and that's a different argument. Don't bring "he could be corrupted" into it if you just fucking hate Wall Street. Let's talk about Wall Street then and why they might be so so much more evil than any other entity.

That's a discussion we could definitely have, but we shouldn't be trying to mask that with this "He's corrupt" BS now.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around how what (18 months or so ago) I'd have considered to be solidly right-wing positions on money in politics, conflicts of interest, and the revolving door became the center-left party line.
I guess it's just a necessary cognitive dissonance when the people you support start doing it. Money in politics is corrupting (which is why we need campaign finance reform, ethics reforms, etc) but it isn't corrupting when our people do it. "We have to take the money because it will give us a chance at winning" makes sense but the argument that follows "but that money doesn't compromise us" does not.

kirblar

The presidency is not a revolving door! It's a one way street!

Regulatory capture is an issue. This isn't that!
I guess it's just a necessary cognitive dissonance when the people you support start doing it. Money in politics is corrupting (which is why we need campaign finance reform, ethics reforms, etc) but it isn't corrupting when our people do it. "We have to take the money because it will give us a chance at winning" makes sense but the argument that follows "but that money doesn't compromise us" does not.
It's not cognitive dissonance at all for people to actually examine things on a case by case basis instead of treating the entire world as black and white.

Gattsu25

Banned

Wait, I thought we were talking about money outside of politics considering this thread is about someone who is not now or probably ever running for public office again.

Nerokis

Oh, really? Care to clarify this?

Because I'm betting you'd also struggle to substantiate this claim.

Wait, I thought we were talking about money outside of politics considering this thread is about someone who is not now or probably ever running for public office again.
This is all part of money in politics. Obama, a politician, is receiving disgusting amounts of money for basically doing nothing. He is doing it for people he was previously in charge of legislating. This is an ethical issue related to the intersection of big money in politics.

The presidency is not a revolving door! It's a one way street!

Regulatory capture is an issue. This isn't that!

It's not cognitive dissonance at all for people to actually examine things on a case by case basis instead of treating the entire world as black and white.
While I think paid gigs like this aren't a good look for a president, i don't think it's corrupting depending on just how involved he wants to be with the Democracy party going forward.

Regulatory capture and congress are far, far, far worse offenders, the revolving door and golden parachutes.

You didn't specify anything.
In response to someone asking if a former POTUS should be banned from doing anything to make money, you stated probably yeah. And extended this supposed ban to other elected representatives from entering the private market. Almost verbatim.

As far as actual lobbying goes, restrictions vary by Australian state. There are also restrictions in the US.
Taking my statement of "there is a problem with government officials getting lucrative cushy jobs with industries they were friendly towards. Its probably best to ban them from the private market entirely to stop it." and misconstruing that and claiming I meant "no one in the private market works hard" is such an over the top leap and you know it.

This is all part of money in politics. Obama, a politician, is receiving disgusting amounts of money for basically doing nothing. He is doing it for people he was previously in charge of legislating. This is an ethical issue related to the intersection of big money in politics.

Dude, Larry the Cable Guy gets 150k for speaking engagements. If anything, Obama is getting underpaid.

But again, why is Obama talking to people about health care terrible, but him getting 65 million for a book deal not? Or do you believe that ex-Presidnets should be banned from any private sector work and be happy with their pension?

kirblar

And there's that nasty moralizing we keep mysteriously circling back to.

Making money isn't wrong. Making a lot of money isn't wrong! His time is valuable, and he's being paid commensurately for it because for every gig he takes, that's a billion other things he's not doing.

As they say in Gadgetzan: TIME IS MONEY FRIEND

Gattsu25

Banned
This is all part of money in politics. Obama, an ex-politician, is receiving disgusting amounts of money for basically doing nothing. He is doing it for people he was previously in charge of legislating. This is an ethical issue related to the intersection of big money in politics.

Sorry, had to fix that typo. He's an ex-politician who's expressed an interest in political advocacy.

Corruption happens in office. Obama is no longer in office.

Obama NEVER had a shred of corruption over his head during his Presidency, despite the GOP going full-out warfare against the black POTUS. He never had conflicts of interest because, just like previous presidents, he was transparent about his financials and investments.

Trump is a completely different monster, and the fact that you don't realize this just shows how bad the false-equivalence bullshit has become.
I think Obama did a solid job keeping America together, but never had a shred of corruption or conflicts of interest? He accepted money contributions from Wall Street firms from his first election. Even when he had a super majority of Democrats in Congress, he pushed for weak, flimsy regulation on corporations and business that exploited the public and resources, as well as already compromised on ACA when they didn't need to win support from Republicans. Extended Bush's tax cuts on the the rich. A lot of actions that he promised to make bold reforms to.
I wanted to think he was misguided or a little spinless for being soft on money in politics. But if ol Barry is still taking money from Wall Street, while supposedly still the least leader/face of a party that's been recently being offered more money to go against the interest/benefits of their constituents, I would have trouble taking Obama seriously for any rhetoric he'll have in this resistance to Trump. Yes, Trump is undeniably more corrupt and generally a worse person than Obama, but he was no perfect president and his future actions may be counterintuitive in winning his old supporters back to Democrats.

dramatis

Man, we can't talk about reparations for slavery but we sure can talk a lot about how the first black American president, as singular as he is, looks bad for getting speaking fees. You would think white people owe black people a hell of a lot more than 400k.

Jenov

You know who gets disgusting amounts of money for basically doing nothing? Reality celebs like the fucking Kardashians. So yeah, I understand why Obama's star power would attract such fees, considering how silly people are when it comes to celebrities.

There is no investigation into Obama unless you are privy to something the rest of us aren't? Trump has former political allies falling by the wayside. You don't see what the difference is?

I can keep going and make arguments for Trump if you want. The point is we shouldn't even have to discuss this if politicians didn't enter into relationships that are conflicts of interest.

Then you're implying that Obama was corrupt during his admin because he was going to receive speaking fees after office. There is not a shred of evidence to indicate this is true, and compared to the millions he's making off of his book deal, 400k is a paltry sum to abandon all of his morals.

Ugh, stop making this bullshit argument. You do realize that Trump hasn't been found guilty of anything primarily because the people in charge of looking have their heads buried in the sand right? Congress has had multiple chances to look at his taxes, GOP keep voting no. Your argument only has ground to stand on if you can argue that the GOP just didn't do ENOUGH to scrounge up dirt on Obama, and that's a tough argument to make.

$400k is not a paltry sum for an hour or two of talking. As mentioned already former presidents get a generous pension. I personally don't have a problem with the financial firm that is paying for Obama's speech. He can give speeches at schools, non-profits, or business sectors that are in line with his views. Speeches paid by Hollywood or Detroit is fine for me.

Not everyone investigating Trump/Russia has their head buried in the sand. The FBI investigation is still ongoing. An investigative hearing through Congress isn't the end of the road. There are other avenues.

Also I'm not implying anything about Obama. I'm talking about corruption in a general sense.

WedgeX

Banned
I think Obama did a solid job keeping America together, but never had a shred of corruption or conflicts of interest? He accepted money contributions from Wall Street firms from his first election. Even when he had a super majority of Democrats in Congress, he pushed for weak, flimsy regulation on corporations and business that exploited the public and resources, as well as already compromised on ACA when they didn't need to win support from Republicans. Extended Bush's tax cuts on the the rich. A lot of actions that he promised to make bold reforms to.
I wanted to think he was misguided or a little spinless for being soft on money in politics. But if ol Barry is still taking money from Wall Street, while supposedly still the least leader/face of a party that's been recently being offered more money to go against the interest/benefits of their constituents, I would have trouble taking Obama seriously for any rhetoric he'll have in this resistance to Trump. Yes, Trump is undeniably more corrupt and generally a worse person than Obama, but he was no perfect president and his future actions may be counterintuitive in winning his old supporters back to Democrats.

Do people really not recal what happened here?

It wasn't the GOP. It was Joseph Liberman who went independent and then wielded an inordinate amount of power as the clinching senate vote. And all because he was in the pocket of insurance companies all along. Thus killing the public option.

kirblar

Do people really not recal what happened here?

It wasn't the GOP. It was Joseph Liberman who went independent and then wielded an inordinate amount of power as the clinching senate vote. And all because he was in the pocket of insurance companies all along. Thus killing the public option.
Marginal voter theory. Because they didn't kill the fillibuster like they should have, this gave Baucus, Lieberman, Nelson et al far, FAR more power than to shape the bill than they normally would have because there was no room for defectors.

If you only need 50 to pass, the bill would have come out radically different.

Man, we can't talk about reparations for slavery but we sure can talk a lot about how the first black American president, as singular as he is, looks bad for getting speaking fees. You would think white people owe black people a hell of a lot more than 400k.
Who is saying repatriations shouldn't happen in here while criticizing Obama for doing this? I fully support repatriations, you're right that we owe black people far more.

Marginal voter theory. Because they didn't kill the fillibuster like they should have, this gave Baucus, Lieberman, Nelson et al far, FAR more power than to shape the bill than they normally would have because there was no room for defectors.

If you only need 50 to pass, the bill would have come out radically different.
I don't know if that is the case. Yeah those guys didn't help at all but there was this hugely misguided effort to try and write SOMETHING some republicans could vote for. To be fair, since he was just starting out it seemed less misguided at the time.

kirblar

I don't know if that is the case. Yeah those guys didn't help at all but there was this hugely misguided effort to try and write SOMETHING some republicans could vote for. To be fair, since he was just starting out it seemed less misguided at the time.
Yes, context is important here. A large number of people on the left (myself included!) chalked up the post-'94 GOP to "Clinton Derangement Syndrome" and thought someone like Obama could work with them.

We were wrong. Way fucking wrong. Hillary was right about them in '08, and it's a reason I was much more willing to go w/ her this time out than in '08, when I voted Obama in the primaries.

Taking my statement of "there is a problem with government officials getting lucrative cushy jobs with industries they were friendly towards. Its probably best to ban them from the private market entirely to stop it." and misconstruing that and claiming I meant "no one in the private market works hard" is such an over the top leap and you know it.
Your statement about cushy lucrative jobs came subsequent to your desire to apparently ban all public officials from the private sector and response that you would end up with no one wanting to run for office.

A not unnatural corollary is that you were under some false impression of what constitutes the "private market." I'm not sure if it's better or worse that you're (presumably) aware of this term being a very broad one.

Since you still seem to be asserting that holders of public office should be barred from the private sector as a whole to curtail entry into one activity within it.

Which is ludicrous.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
All of this talk, without the context of who paid him, or what he spoke about, is fucking ridiculous.

WALL STREET in not some singular, villainous entity.

Come on Americans, you can do better than this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Remember when Hillary Clinton was demonized for months for how her paid Wall Street speeches were clearly signs of her corruption...and then it turned out she was using the platform to argue for promoting women in business and dreaming of a single hemisphere market for trade and energy. What a monster.

What Obama or Hillary says at the speeches are completely irrelevant, that's like when some Trump partner like Cage goes to Russia to give some boring ass speech. The speech is an excuse to pay someone. The corporations won't change anything as a result of that. The speech is a cover for an unrelated paid service.

In the construction industry, they'll inflate contracts by using overly expensive materials or methods. Here Wall Street as an easy way of doing the same: they invite someone over, they give them a ridiculous sum of money in exchange for talking about things WS really doesn't care about and which they could read about for free from random blogs, or some TED Talks, probably from people who are better positioned to speak on such subjects than said politicians and do it because they are experts on the matter.

Obama can turn around and donate the money and all that, sure, and get a fat tax deduction in return too, but the fact is before, while, and after politicians are in office, the mere fact that WS waves "highly remunerated speeches" around in politicians' faces is enough for WS to gain undue influence on politics, period.

WedgeX

Banned
All of this talk, without the context of who paid him, or what he spoke about, is fucking ridiculous.

WALL STREET in not some singular, villainous entity.

Come on Americans, you can do better than this.

How the OP never got edited with that very information is beyond me.

Who is saying repatriations shouldn't happen in here while criticizing Obama for doing this? I fully support repatriations, you're right that we owe black people far more.
No one, and yeah I support them as well.

And it's pretty sad people are going to such ridiculous lengths trying to hold people accountable for dumb shit other people have said, or that they are hypocrites because "well they wouldn't have a problem if Bernie did it" rather than respond to well reasoned arguments made here or present any evidence this is just based on some sort of Bernie apologist agenda.

People should be able to have criticism of something they don't like without that sort of personal attack or insinuation that there is an alternative motive going on here

pigeon

Banned
No one, and yeah I support them as well.

And it's pretty sad people are going to such ridiculous lengths trying to hold people accountable for dumb shit other people have said, or that they are hypocrites because "well they wouldn't have a problem if Bernie did it" rather than respond to well reasoned arguments made here or present any evidence this is just based on some sort of Bernie apologist agenda.

People should be able to have criticism of something they don't like without that sort of personal attack or insinuation that there is an alternative motive going on here

It is kind of amazing to see how disconnected the smears are from the actual people making the arguments against this behavior.

I wonder what the content of these speeches are like. Just basic inspirational crap like you would hear at a college grad ceremony but framed for Wall St types?

As someone who's attended a bunch of these, yeah, pretty much.

Maybe less inspirational and more "X industry is incredibly important to the economy and you who work in X industry are the bedrock of our society." Sometimes, if you get a speaker whose claim to fame is technical expertise, it's more substantial deep dives into whatever their specialty is.

Whatever the case, it's not a meeting about how to screw over poor people or whatever some imagine it to be. It's basically just an ego boost to employees and executives that they're important enough to rub shoulders with other important people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom