• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Press Release) Nintendo officially sells Mariners

So many hot takes.

1. the mariners are safe in seattle now
2. howard lincoln retired and he was a pivotal figure in that relationship
3. baseball is in totally great shape right now and you can't argue with the capital, if anything ANY company is foolish to sell an MLB team (that's not called the marlins or indians, tribe fan here keeping it a hunnit), but honestly it probably makes sense for nintendo, and also for sports business nerds having an actual realized valuation of a team is pretty damn cool

If you guys want a history lesson about Nintendo and The Mariners, The Gaming Historian did a great documentary on it on Youtube. For some reason, I can't seem to find it. Not sure as to why? Very interesting history as to how Nintendo came to own a baseball team.

baseball is in totally great shape right now and you can't argue with the capital, if anything ANY company is foolish to sell an MLB team (that's not called the marlins or indians, tribe fan here keeping it a hunnit), but honestly it probably makes sense for nintendo, and also for sports business nerds having an actual realized valuation of a team is pretty damn cool

I mean they'll keep 10% of their stake intact. So on the offchance the team flourishes out of their ownership, that's more money made.

Terrell

Nintendo still owns 10% of the team.

It was the controlling interest that was the issue.

I'd say the same thing for the Mariners being free from shitty owners who didn't give a damn about the team.
I wouldn't disagree with you. I understand that they were terrible for the team long term. In the short term, yes, it was good that someone invested in keeping them in Seattle. But everyone who has ever read up on how the Mariners were managed knows that Howard Lincoln was poisonous for long term health of the team (making his overall track record 2 for 2, but my beef with Lincoln is for another thread) and that Nintendo wasn't capable of meeting the needs of owning a modern North American sports team.

My comment does, in fact, go both ways. It was bad for Nintendo and bad for the Mariners. Wouldn't be surprised if Yamauchi was the impediment in selling them earlier.

If you guys want a history lesson about Nintendo and The Mariners, The Gaming Historian did a great documentary on it on Youtube. For some reason, I can't seem to find it. Not sure as to why? Very interesting history as to how Nintendo came to own a baseball team.
He said on facebook that the MLB took it down

Scum

247dcdfa6e9a24ed257de4219115dd06_100_100.png

Top Bottom