• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Um, Arkane, WTF?

>2

>>3

I've completed this quest already and... now i've completed it again without doing anything and then just a second later failed it...? May i ask for what reason exactly?

This happened to me too. If you don't get to that quest within a certain period of time, it automatically fails you (I learned this the hard way, having forgotten I got the quest, and then reloaded a save to get it). I think what's happening is the game hits that timeout deadline and thinks it needs to close out the quest even though you've already completed it and gotten the "yay you did it" fanfare and everything. So then it's like "hurray you completed the quest--oh wait we hit the timeout so I guess you didn't?"

Or maybe the game's just bonkers.

Hyunkel6

Just popping in to say that the thread title made me chuckle. :p

Played the demo. Thought it was ok. The glowing reviews is keeping the game on my radar though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This happened to me too. If you don't get to that quest within a certain period of time, it automatically fails you (I learned this the hard way, having forgotten I got the quest, and then reloaded a save to get it). I think what's happening is the game hits that timeout deadline and thinks it needs to close out the quest even though you've already completed it and gotten the "yay you did it" fanfare and everything. So then it's like "hurray you completed the quest--oh wait we hit the timeout so I guess you didn't?"

Or maybe the game's just bonkers.
Well, whatever it is they must fix this along with hostile NPCs - v1.03 beta patch is not fixed this problem even though the patch notes telling us that it actually did.

Sell me on this game. From what I hear it's named after a game it has nothing to do with, looks like Bioshock, and plays like a System Shock 3?

I feel a bit weird, its just no jelling with me. I am confused, I am tired of not having any bullets of gloo

tips please, Please Help

Just watched bits and pieces of your stream--saw you take on a few mimics earlier, and then an etheric phantom. The main thing I would tell you is that just using the pistol/shotgun alone is generally an ineffective strategy, especially later in the game. This is the reason you're running out of ammo; your bullets are inherently weak. What you need to do is combo that with something that freezes or stuns your enemies. I noticed you don't have a stun gun in your inventory; make it a priority to find one. Not only does that mean another pool of ammo you can access, but the stun gun is very good at stunning many enemies. Enemies that are stunned take additional damage from your attacks, which is huge. In the meantime, your gloo gun will also freeze enemies, and I noticed you haven't been using it against enemies. That might be because of your ammo situation, though, hard to say. You should also be trying to sneak up on enemies whenever possible, because that also gives you a bonus to damage.

Also, scan everything with your psychoscope. The mimics in the test chamber, for example. Scanning stuff will give you access to more neuromod abilities, you'll get a general idea of which types of attacks the enemies are strong or weak to, and when you max out an enemy you'll also see a note in the research giving you more details on potential weaknesses. Additionally, there's a psychomod module you can find later on that grants a damage bonus to enemies you've marked using the psychoscope.

Besides all that, though, you're actually still pretty early in the game. It's normal to not know everything you need to do. I just saw you take on a voltaic phantom, and those are legit hard just because you have far fewer long-range weapons and getting in close to stun or attack means you take damage. Definitely try to sneak around more and not attack enemies head-on; that's the most difficult way to tackle combat and you're seeing the consequences.

Oh, also: you know that you can charge your wrench attack, right? Just hold the attack button down for a second or two before releasing. Might help with some of the mimic attacks.

Also also: if a turret shows up as broken (has the wrench icon, is sparking), you can't use it to defeat Typhon, even if you've hacked it beforehand. You'll have to fix it first.

Also also also: FIX YOUR SUIT. Uncorrupted engineering operators can fix your suit all the way to 100, and suit repair kits restore 25 to your suit's health. You take more damage if your suit's damaged, so you always want to repair your suit.

Can anyone let me know about how much I have left?

I just
turned the power back on, went to Alex's office to watch a video and now I'm heading back to my office to meet the scientists I saved.

I don't really plan on completing anymore side quests at this point except maybe
killing that damn cook.

psychotron

So I tempted fate and entered the arboretum from guts for the first time. I still have all my items. Maybe it's only when you leave the bug kicks in?

Can anyone let me know about how much I have left?

I just
turned the power back on, went to Alex's office to watch a video and now I'm heading back to my office to meet the scientists I saved.

I don't really plan on completing anymore side quests at this point except maybe
killing that damn cook.

You're definitely nearing the end of the game, but there are a handful of major quests you still need to complete. If I had to guess how much time, I'd say
five more hours maybe, perhaps less. I think I did that stretch in six hours and that was still completing sidequests and backtracking and stuff.

So I tempted fate and entered the arboretum from guts for the first time. I still have all my items. Maybe it's only when you leave the bug kicks in?

I never ran into the bug either. I think the next patch fixes this, if not the current one, but that's on PC. Dunno about PS4/XB1.

You're definitely nearing the end of the game, but there are a handful of major quests you still need to complete. If I had to guess how much time, I'd say
five more hours maybe, perhaps less. I think I did that stretch in six hours and that was still completing sidequests and backtracking and stuff.

I never ran into the bug either. I think the next patch fixes this, if not the current one, but that's on PC. Dunno about PS4/XB1.

Cool, thanks.

munroe

Just seen something new; in the hardware labs, if you go to the demonstration area first, left at the security booth
you see Thaddius York getting chased by a phantom and you see him build the Gloo bridge to then get killed by the phantom. I always thought he was already dead, I wonder if it's possible to save him, though guessing not

Just played the PS4 demo and the controls seemed.... off. I can't describe why but they don't feel like every other FPS I've played on the console. I was having a hard time aiming properly! What gives?

Jackpot

Banned
I'm at GUTS. What's the best order to tackle the Arboretum, Cargo Bay, and Shuttle Bay in?

I want to do all the side stuff first, but I don't want to accidentally achieve a main objective before being given all the dialogue telling me why I need to do it.

Lime

Wow, that ending..that's just too
abrupt
I need more than that, especially if new shit comes to light.

I get what they were trying to go for, but the execution was really lacking.
Too many new questions and a complete lack of denouement of the plot and the characters that I was invested in.

Kind of disappointing to be honest to an otherwise entertaining game with some decent sidequests.

I'm at GUTS. What's the best order to tackle the Arboretum, Cargo Bay, and Shuttle Bay in?

I want to do all the side stuff first, but I don't want to accidentally achieve a main objective before being given all the dialogue telling me why I need to do it.

Cargo Bay is mostly blocked off at that point but you can use it to get to Life Support. Shuttle Bay is safe to do. Arboretum is next for story but it does not force you to do anything right away.

EDIT - This might help some people. Do all of your exploring and sidequests before you finish the story quest
Before I Give You The Key

Since I am here.

To avoid any possible sequence breaks the following areas should not be entered until a story quests leads you there. Most if not all cannot be accessed until the story quest anyway:
Neuromods (start)
Talos Lobby
Hardware Labs
Psychotronics
GUTS
Arboretum (to Deep Storage quest)
Deep Storage
Cargo Bay (via Talos Exterior)
Crew Quarters
Power Plant

The following areas can be safely explored when they are available:
Talos Exterior
Shuttle Bay
Cargo Bay (via GUTS or Life Support)
Life Support
Talos Bridge

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a clear point of no return near the end of the game?

I'm almost afraid of doing main missions because I don't want to end it too soon and leave a bunch of side missions unfinished.

For example:
I've been hanging on Alex's Escape Pod key for a while now as I don't want to use it in fear of finishing the game lol

I'm almost afraid of doing main missions because I don't want to end it too soon and leave a bunch of side missions unfinished.

For example:
I've been hanging on Alex's Escape Pod key for a while now as I don't want to use it in fear of finishing the game lol

Go ahead and use the key, you "end the game" but it just counts as a game over.

shiba5

I downloaded and played the Prey demo on PS4 yesterday. Did I play the demo with these 1.02 fixes or was I playing with input lag all along? I felt the controls off all the time but I can't tell if it was just bad controls or input lag.

The demo is not patched.
Also, it plays extremely good on PC if that's an option.

SomTervo

Man, I feel like the one who never liked the Dishonored games as much as the other immersive sims, even last year I vastly preferred Mankind Divided-so much so that it was my GOTY. The world design and atmosphere always felt very artificial, like they were trying to imitate Thief and evoke nostalgia for the olden days without really committing to a coherent vision, and the biggest sin for me was the writing- Mankind Divided had its problems but those sidequests are among the best in videogames, right up there with The Witcher 3. Dishonored 1 had bad writing but Dishonored 2's writing almost made me not want to play the game. The artificiality of the world didn't help, it just felt so manufactured and mechanical as opposed to games like Deus Ex or Bioshock.

Its also way I guess as of now Prey is my favorite Arkane game, even thought it slavishly follows the immersive sim tradition (sometimes a little too close for comfort), the world feels more "real" and the writing in the audio logs/emails not only immerses but makes me genuinely interested in these crew members. The premise is also intriguing, the early twist I thought was very well executed.

Sorry for slow reply.

Dishonored is almost anti-story. There are neat things about the narrative but it's so not the point. They're sheer exercises in fantasy imsim gameplay.

Mankind Divided is weird. It's like the best game I've been completely apathetic to playing. Release just kind of happened, and I bought it on sale but haven't felt too much of a desire to dive in for very long.

Yep, exactly how I felt about it.

I'm going to start playing again though this week just as a gameplay exercise. Not in it for any story shit.

Just watched bits and pieces of your stream--saw you take on a few mimics earlier, and then an etheric phantom. The main thing I would tell you is that just using the pistol/shotgun alone is generally an ineffective strategy, especially later in the game. This is the reason you're running out of ammo; your bullets are inherently weak. What you need to do is combo that with something that freezes or stuns your enemies. I noticed you don't have a stun gun in your inventory; make it a priority to find one. Not only does that mean another pool of ammo you can access, but the stun gun is very good at stunning many enemies. Enemies that are stunned take additional damage from your attacks, which is huge. In the meantime, your gloo gun will also freeze enemies, and I noticed you haven't been using it against enemies. That might be because of your ammo situation, though, hard to say. You should also be trying to sneak up on enemies whenever possible, because that also gives you a bonus to damage.

Also, scan everything with your psychoscope. The mimics in the test chamber, for example. Scanning stuff will give you access to more neuromod abilities, you'll get a general idea of which types of attacks the enemies are strong or weak to, and when you max out an enemy you'll also see a note in the research giving you more details on potential weaknesses. Additionally, there's a psychomod module you can find later on that grants a damage bonus to enemies you've marked using the psychoscope.

Besides all that, though, you're actually still pretty early in the game. It's normal to not know everything you need to do. I just saw you take on a voltaic phantom, and those are legit hard just because you have far fewer long-range weapons and getting in close to stun or attack means you take damage. Definitely try to sneak around more and not attack enemies head-on; that's the most difficult way to tackle combat and you're seeing the consequences.

Oh, also: you know that you can charge your wrench attack, right? Just hold the attack button down for a second or two before releasing. Might help with some of the mimic attacks.

Also also: if a turret shows up as broken (has the wrench icon, is sparking), you can't use it to defeat Typhon, even if you've hacked it beforehand. You'll have to fix it first.

Also also also: FIX YOUR SUIT. Uncorrupted engineering operators can fix your suit all the way to 100, and suit repair kits restore 25 to your suit's health. You take more damage if your suit's damaged, so you always want to repair your suit.

Cheers yeah I don't have the stun gun and I was using the gloo gun quite often but because of my ammo situation I found it super hard. I don't know where or how to fix suit outside of the repair kits. I'm tempted to restart. When I first played it I was trying to do all the side stuff which screwed me over.

Oh and thanks for watching. I'll be back on tomorrow around 7pm cet 6pm gmt. I'll restart it so I should be better now j have an idea.

For example:

To answer the first question (very mild spoilers, imo):
There is no super clear message-box-in-your-face "hey this is the end of the game" popup or anything, no. However, even though there isn't,
there is an obvious moment where you hit that, and you should be able to easily rewind to a save game to just before that point

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how localization for this was handled? I mean, that is a ton of English text baked into the posters; is it left as-is and there's subtitles that appear when mousing over the posters or something?

Related to the in-game posters and such, I'm really glad the environment art doesn't include this kind of dumb graffiti (wouldn't be surprised if this was actually picked out internally as a strong "Do not do this"):

(via https://www.vice.com/sv/article/alien-isolation-267)

ai3-Fotor.jpg

ai1-Fotor.jpg

Lijik

How the hell do you easily kill that
telepath in the pool in Crew Quarters?

I'm pretty low on ammo and keep dying I don't know which tactic to choose.
psychoshock+mindjack was my go to combo to keep the telepath on the ropes (the mindjack keeps it docile while psychoshock recharges) and then i dumped whatever ammo/attack powers I had on hand

How much does this game feel like a modern 3D Metroidvania? The only Prey I've played was the demo of this game but I'm looking for a Metroid Prime fix since Nintendo isn't making one.

I love this game--in fact, it's already my personal GOTY--but jesus the bullet sponge enemies you fight later on (like
Technopaths and even Weavers
) are so fucking annoying. On top of taking forever to kill unless you've fully upgraded your guns (I didn't choose that path), they also drain your health insanely fast. It doesn't help that you can barely dodge their attacks thanks to the slllloowww movement speed. The only success I've had is cheesing them with Combat Focus and the Q-Beam. Nothing else has worked AT ALL. The wrench tickles them and the shotgun doesn't even do all that much damage.

Has anyone else been really frustrated by this?

mbpm1

I love this game--in fact, it's already my personal GOTY--but jesus the bullet sponge enemies you fight later on (like
) are so fucking annoying. On top of taking forever to kill unless you've fully upgraded your guns (I didn't choose that path), they also drain your health insanely fast. It doesn't help that you can barely dodge their attacks thanks to the slllloowww movement speed. The only success I've had is cheesing them with Combat Focus and the Q-Beam. Nothing else has worked AT ALL. The wrench tickles them and the shotgun doesn't even do all that much damage.

If you upgraded mobility you'll never really get hit by them.

If you hit them with the stun gun/similar disabling devices/sneak attack them they take extra damage, won't attack, and go down quick too.

Oh and thanks for watching. I'll be back on tomorrow around 7pm cet 6pm gmt. I'll restart it so I should be better now j have an idea.

Glad to hear you haven't given up! Hope you have more success the second time. Yeah, talk to any friendly operator and they will refill one of your meters--medical restores your health, engineering your suit integrity, and science your psi points. It costs you nothing and it's unlimited use, so take advantage as much as you can. Good luck!

Seriously, I cannot recommend the stun gun enough. Sneak up on an enemy, shock them, then wail on them with the shotgun/pistol/wrench/whatever.

How much does this game feel like a modern 3D Metroidvania? The only Prey I've played was the demo of this game but I'm looking for a Metroid Prime fix since Nintendo isn't making one.

Metroidvania is a misnomer for this game IMO. Although it is very non-linear and features lots of backtracking, it's no more "Metroidvania" than Deus Ex or even BioShock (which to me aren't Metroidvanias at all).

The reason I say this is 1.) you choose your abilities; the game doesn't force them on you, and 2.) most, if not all "inaccessible" areas can be accessed in many different ways just like in Deus Ex.

If you upgraded mobility you'll never really get hit by them.

If you hit them with the stun gun/similar disabling devices/sneak attack them they take extra damage and go down quick too.

Seriously, I cannot recommend the stun gun enough. Sneak up on an enemy, shock them, then wail on them with the shotgun/pistol/wrench/whatever.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. These tougher enemies have seriously been driving me nuts. The special phantoms were bad enough, but those that come after... UGH...

Metroidvania is a misnomer for this game IMO. Although it is very non-linear and features lots of backtracking, it's no more "Metroidvania" than Deus Ex or even BioShock (which to me aren't Metroidvanias at all).

The reason I say this is 1.) you choose your abilities; the game doesn't force them on you, and 2.) most, if not all "inaccessible" areas can be accessed in many different ways just like in Deus Ex.
Thanks for this response. Informative!

Warablo

So what are some of the repercussions if I get alien powers? No spoilers please, I know turrets eventually turn on you. It seemed like the operator bots still serviced me.

kiriin

Disable+SneakAttackWrench finish off with Psyshock/QBeam.

soultron

Banned
I'd also recommend trying to do anything that will score you knockdowns. Knockdowns are free kills if you have an upgraded shotgun.

Top Bottom