• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

ACE 1991

Considering your avatar, I wouldn't expect much. Every narrative twirl they've thrown my way has been caught and tossed aside like a little league infielder. The Grand Twist I consider will probably be either one of two things considering the setup, and neither are very complementary to the narrative if they follow through with it in the end. I want to believe, but it seems they followed the I<3SS2 narrative a little hard thus far. Hope I'm wrong, but it's either going that way or explicitly not that way for the sake of people who played BS1 and SS2.

Be in this one for the systems.

Ok, thanks for the heads up!

A.J.

Banned
I thought the demo wasn't that great, but maybe the full game is better? I might pick it up later on if impressions hold up.

malfcn

Where did the review copies come from, street date broken by mom and pops or VPN?

I appreciate the reviews. Just curious since Bethesda is so tight about their policy.

Amir0x

Banned
I do think the monsters (at least the earlier ones) are a bit too visually similar; however, the way encounters play out between different types of monsters are a lot more varied than casual gameplay videos would suggest. The mimics are mostly there to keep you on your toes when exploring, but engaging the other types require different planning and tactics--I won't spoil them, but combat stays interesting despite all the black blobs.

That does sound good, but do they remain visually kind of bland? Or do their designs get spiced up too?

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Bad news for Bethesda.

I cancelled my discounted pre-order 'cause of their silly no reviews pre-embargo policy... and yet had I known quality reviews would have dropped so soon I would have kept it.

Now I will wait for it to go on sale and they'll get less money. Glad it's reviewing well, at least. Probably going to do Dishonored 2 sales numbers, though. Hope they're happy with that.

Pat yourself on the back buddy everyone is very proud of you

gadwn

Woaah. Sluggish controls, confusing level design and shitty graphics made me uninstall The demo before finishing it. But then again I did never understand the love for dishonored either so maybe I'm the strange one.

Servbot24

Banned
This game seems kinda interesting. Too much else going on at the moment but I will probably pick it up when it's on sale this fall.

Skulldead

Woaah. Sluggish controls, confusing level design and shitty graphics made me uninstall The demo before finishing it. But then again I did never understand the love for dishonored either so maybe I'm the strange one.

i really don't like dishonored at all... but i really love that game.... dishonored feel like they were trying to please action + stealth fan. Like they don't know which public they really want. But this game feel like they nailed survival horror shooting (so far).

aajohnny

Bad news for Bethesda.

I cancelled my discounted pre-order 'cause of their silly no reviews pre-embargo policy... and yet had I known quality reviews would have dropped so soon I would have kept it.

Now I will wait for it to go on sale and they'll get less money. Glad it's reviewing well, at least. Probably going to do Dishonored 2 sales numbers, though. Hope they're happy with that.

Woahhh Bad-Ass over here.
I'm sure Bethesda will go bankrupt and regret it because of your decision... Back to the drawing board Bethesda/Arkane!

mindsale

Don't forget to pick up this too

PREY-STEELBOOK.jpg

Wait the Steelbook is exclusive to Best Buy? I know where I'm buying it.

Edit: I have a reservation at Gamestop which has some shotgun (skin?) or something. Best Buy seems the better option.

McBryBry

How close is this to Bioshock? I'm feeling that kind of FPS once I finish Persona. And that steelbook is a sleekbook.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nice to see another great game from Arkane. I was a huge fan of Dishonored 2.

Prey Will have to wait till summer though. Im still going through Persona 5 and Zelda BotW.

That does sound good, but do they remain visually kind of bland? Or do their designs get spiced up too?

I'm not too far in, but to give you an example, in the first area there's a typhon
whose whole shtick is to wield fire, so he's a anthropomorphic black blob on fire
. Aside from shape, that's probably the amount of visual differentiation I'd expect from the typhon enemies.

Bad news for Bethesda.

Does a reviewer with a following but no other credentials deserve to negatively impact the ultimate fate of a company that spent 5 years working on a product just because they didn't like it for any reason? It's not cut and dry here. So cancel your pre-order, Bethesda is not going to notice or give a shit. A certain dev studio might, and they likely don't have a decision in the matter. So keep fighting ghosts and narrating yourself in threads.

Instro

How close is this to Bioshock? I'm feeling that kind of FPS once I finish Persona. And that steelbook is a sleekbook.
Similar style of game, but closer to System Shock in complexity. That's my general impressiin though, I'm not very far in yet.

Pifje

I have seen absolutely 0 marketing and hype in the last few weeks. I thought this was going to be some generic 6/10 lack of ambition game, but at least so far the few reviews are telling otherwise.

Did not enjoy my time with the demo. idk Some cool ideas in there though.

Also First-person action games that run at 30fps have consistently given me a headache after extended play as of late :/

gonna have to build a PC someday.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I have seen absolutely 0 marketing and hype in the last few weeks. I thought this was going to be some generic 6/10 lack of ambition game, but at least so far the few reviews are telling otherwise.

Ive been seeing ads for months on YouTube.

Instro

Did not enjoy my time with the demo. idk Some cool ideas in there though.

Also First-person action games that run at 30fps have consistently given me a headache after extended play as of late :/

gonna have to build a PC someday.

This definitely seems like a game better played on PC, at least initially given how much the wrench is used for the first couple hours. The enemies are quick enough that I could see melee combat being a bit of pain with a controller vs a mouse.

I think this is the kind of game that reviews greatly but it actually isn't as good. It happens a lot with this type of games.

Why?

I noticed that people have been writing this game off in general and I'm not sure why. Is it the fact that it has nothing to do with the original Prey or something?

JCH!

I'm pretty happy this is reviewing well!

I had kinda lost hope after the lack of PC demo and all the negative impressions from the console one.

I'm definitely getting it this weekend!

RedAssedApe

Banned
kind of surprised (in a good way) based on some of the demo reaction. had almost written this game off...but sounds like a good game to jump into in between all these massive 50 hr campaigns.

is there really no pro support though? :\

Because there's something fun and special about being a part of the first wave of gamers to experience a game.

Why do people slog to midnight movies when they could wait 18 hours and not ruin their Friday?
No, there really isn't. Maaaaaaybe for a multiplayer game, but no. The game will be the same, or better with patches, if you wait.

Top Bottom