• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey's debut sales in the UK seem quite low

hotcyder

Hoping for slow and steady sales; Arkane are putting out heavy hitters and I can't wait for the next project.

Don't know whether the lack of promotion behind it - coupled by the lack of build up from websites that didn't have early review copies - help their games though. Not sure how mass-appeal streamer/tuber friendly it is as a title either.

It's a solid hold percentage wise, but the numbers themselves aren't great. Still, I think the WOM around Prey is generally pretty good!

It dropped only 32% from it's week one sales that's a positive, no massive drop, but week 1 not being that impressive anyway sort of takes a bit of glean away from this good hold.

its still less then 30,000 sold, which is still terrible.

*sigh* Let me be happy just this once, please :/

This game deserves to be lauded like DOOM was. Tell yer friends yo

I only bought the game on GAF's recommendation, without spoiling myself, but if I had seen someone play through the intro... If I had seen someone else 'break the glass'... I would have shut the video off, and bought the game then and there. And it has not disappointed so far. Prey might have my favorite intro of any game I've ever played.

Kill3r7

Yup npretty much, Marketing is key, big marketing=big sales, that's why big games/company are big.

Not true. It's more of a chicken and egg problem. Marketing unquestionably helps but it won't create million sellers just because of it. Big companies make a few big AAA games that have mass market appeal, then they market the shit out of it to sell millions.

N7.Angel

Not true. It's more of a chicken and egg problem. Marketing unquestionably helps but it won't create million sellers just because of it. Big companies make a few big AAA games that have mass market appeal, then they market the shit out of it to sell millions.

I disagree, marketing and hype created by good marketing can create million sellers, the quality of the product doesn't matter that much at the end, many mediocre game sells big because of it, No man Sky, FIFA series, Ass cred, Halo etc... when amazing games failed hard.

And it's especially true in cinema when bad/mediocre/ok movies are usually the most successful one, Suicide Squad, BvS, any Marvel movies beside GOTG series, Fast and Furious series, Star Wars 7/Rogue One etc...

Yup npretty much, Marketing is key, big marketing=big sales, that's why big games/company are big.

Big marketing also = big expenses which is why big games are generally mass market garbage so they can recoup the costs they spent to sell it.

There is nothing wrong with Prey's sales, assuming it was budgeted correctly. I would suggest anybody interested in a game where you don't automatically win, would know more than enough about it without needing a superbowl ad.

Big marketing also = big expenses which is why big games are generally mass market garbage so they can recoup the costs they spent to sell it.

There is nothing wrong with Prey's sales, assuming it was budgeted correctly. I would suggest anybody interested in a game where you don't automatically win, would know more than enough about it without needing a superbowl ad.

You don't need a superbowl ad, but you need to be in front of people's faces. Dudes on GAF, a gaming enthusiast forum, had no clue Prey dropped when it did, and I'd hardly call them "people who want a game where they automatically win".

Furthermore, the notion that you need big marketing these days is silly. There's a middle ground with streamers, review copies, and other methods that don't necessarily rely on spending big bucks on billboards. Hell, even social media campaigns and display ads can gain pretty great results.

Prey barely had any of that. And I really doubt Bethesda is going to be happy with these sales in general.

Edit: And budgeted correctly is kind of a weird thing to say. Most games are budgeted correctly, but companies want to see a return. They aren't doing this to break even. They want to make a profit.

You don't need a superbowl ad, but you need to be in front of people's faces. Dudes on GAF, a gaming enthusiast forum, had no clue Prey dropped when it did, and I'd hardly call them "people who want a game where they automatically win".

Furthermore, the notion that you need big marketing these days is silly. There's a middle ground with streamers, review copies, and other methods that don't necessarily rely on spending big bucks on billboards. Hell, even social media campaigns and display ads can gain pretty great results.

Prey barely had any of that. And I really doubt Bethesda is going to be happy with these sales in general.

You need big marketing to sell garbage. You need famous actors, voices people have heard of etc.

You do not need marketing to sell a good game. Word will spread in seconds over the internet. I doubt very much that people on Gaf didn't know about prey, even just to bitch about no review copies. I also doubt that the general gaf gamer would want a game like it.

You need big marketing to sell garbage. You need famous actors, voices people have heard of etc.

You do not need marketing to sell a good game. Word will spread in seconds over the internet. I doubt very much that people on Gaf didn't know about prey, even just to bitch about no review copies. I also doubt that the general gaf gamer would want a game like it.

I guess the Switch is garbage since it had a superbowl ad. Horizon? Put that shit on the list with all the marketing it had!

Nah, it doesn't work like that. There are tons of factors, and not every game with marketing is shit, nor is every good game going to spread and do well because of "word of mouth". There are tons of real examples that you can find, you just have to look!

Though you seem to have a predisposition in believing GAF to be unworthy of Prey's genius despite the glowing praise is received here, but hey, morph that narrative because the game wasn't handled correctly.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've not seen any marketing at all for it in the UK, I bought it because of this forum, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

I guess the Switch is garbage since it had a superbowl ad. Horizon? Put that shit on the list with all the marketing it had!

Nah, it doesn't work like that. There are tons of factors, and not every game with marketing is shit, nor is every good game going to spread and do well because of "word of mouth". There are tons of real examples that you can find, you just have to look!

Though you seem to have a predisposition in believing GAF to be unworthy of Prey's genius despite the glowing praise is received here, but hey, morph that narrative because the game wasn't handled correctly.

I said you need marketing to sell garbage and this is true. You can also throw big marketing at something like the switch but that is just wasting money given everyone who wanted Zelda was buying it anyway. Marketing is irrelevant in that case.

Flip your argument around and throw a superbowl ad at Tyranny. Is it suddenly hitting COD numbers? No. Does that mean it was not handled properly? No, it just means it isn't a game designed just to sell to the targets of expensive marketing. Prey is just another such game.

That is also why it is good.

That's not true. Sure marketing can add costs that require additional sales to recoup, but if you think that Prey is the sort of game that looks like it can recoup its budget with the sales its getting in UK, then I don't think you understand how low these numbers are.

It cannot be reiterated enough: Bethesda absolutely fucked over Arkane with their poor handling of the game.

And one can only hope that strong WoM and legs alleviate its poor opening.

Edit: And your example about Switch marketing...

Dude. Stop. Like what. Go look at Switch numbers versus past Nintendo consoles. Marketing absolutely played a part in its massive success.

Prey is being criminally slept on. It make a me so crazy.

I know it's not UK, but the launch in Australia was terrible. Like, I saw zero marketing for it.
No one I spoke to knew anything about the game. Then the reviews came out and it was all of a sudden on the radar (including mine). However for some silly reason there was 'day one' pricing, where you could pick up the game for $59 AUD (or there abouts) on launch day.

However the reviews hadn't quite hit at that point, so I waited until the weekend. Lo and behold, the pricing was back up to $80+. Between the marketing, review embargo and launch day pricing - this has to be the worst launch I've seen in recent memory.

Azzanadra

That's surprising to hear because I saw ads for it all over the tube when I was on vacation in London, which is more advertising than I see for most games.

Kill3r7

I disagree, marketing and hype created by good marketing can create million sellers, the quality of the product doesn't matter that much at the end, many mediocre game sells big because of it, No man Sky, FIFA series, Ass cred, Halo etc... when amazing games failed hard.

And it's especially true in cinema when bad/mediocre/ok movies are usually the most successful one, Suicide Squad, BvS, any Marvel movies beside GOTG series, Fast and Furious series, Star Wars 7/Rogue One etc...

I feel like I have stepped in some bizarro world GAF thread. Do you think that MS did not spend a shit load of money advertising SO & QB? Or EA with TF2? Or Ubi with WD2, AC Unity and Syndicate?

Quit treating advertising as some sort of panacea. It is only part of the equation.

That's surprising to hear because I saw ads for it all over the tube when I was on vacation in London, which is more advertising than I see for most games.
Yup, every third tube station had Prey ads.

9OOCwvU_d.jpg

While these Week 2 sales don't mean the game is suddenly a success, how can it be anything but a good sign? It finished #1 and didn't have a massive drop (albeit from a disappointing first week). Let's go from there and see what happens next week. Week #2 was a success.

Top Bottom