• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 announced

BigDug13

Did the first game not sell well? Using kickstarter to get a game going that wouldn't otherwise be made is one thing. But continuing to use kickstarter for all sequels begs the question, why wasn't the first game successful enough for the studio to be self sufficient?

Has "the public" now become the biggest publisher in the industry?

KMS

Yeah, how dare a developer make sequels without publishers dictating their direction. How stupid of them to reach out to the community of people who enjoy their game in hopes of making an even better sequel.

So by your logic, Forza is okay because they 'wait' before 'announcing' the inevitable sequels? Jesus fucking christ.

That logic is perfectly reasonable since life is often unfair and illogical. It would be like Drive Club announcing a sequel last November before the weather patch when it was still buggy and everyone had serious trust issues going forward.

Yeah this seems like a bizarre example of osborne effect-courting.

They should have waited at least a few more months till they fixed the bugs and released more content building up the trust and love for the series. Just look at the turn around after the weather patch for Drive Club once they proved themselves and gained that trust back. The optics of officially announcing it now is horrible and causes people to have serious doubt on whether they will be timely and uphold their promises. In till then bug fixes will be raged upon while fear of content moving to the sequel will be dwelled on.

Where od this 4 mil. sold games coming from!? Is there a link to that number?
I am gled that they announced pcars2, and will back them up.

I understand that their funding model forces their hand a bit in terms of how early they need to make this announcement, but it still makes me uncomfortable reading this given their just released game still feels incredibly buggy and like a work in progress rather than a finished title.

My understanding was that the first game's crowdfunding model involved actual investment. Have Slightly Mad outlined anything about profits and payouts for people who bought in early on the first game?

Vaga

I've been burned once, will definitely not buy the next piece of broken ass excuse of a game. Also this announcement is infuriating. Fuck you SMS.

LesPaul

They should fix the first one. For example the selected option always being somewhere else after you finish a race. You place and it prompts you to restart. That so annoying.
I really like the career mode but I don´t seem to get many GT3 races even thought that is the class I am driving in.

Tarin02543

They should fix the first one. For example the selected option always being somewhere else after you finish a race. You place and it prompts you to restart. That so annoying.
I really like the career mode but I don´t seem to get many GT3 races even thought that is the class I am driving in.

Yes. Online is still prone to glitches such as not being able to drive although you are connected to a server. Or infinite loading screens.

Also pitstops look really silly. When you stop there is one guy that holds the lifting cart, nothing else. Sometimes the lifting cart is not even rendered, in that case you see the mechanic dancing around with nothing in his hands.

JoseJX

The hell you gonna give them more money when they haven't even made a Linux version of the first one for?

That's why I'm asking? If there's actually a build for PCars2, I'm interested. If there isn't, I'm not giving them anything until there's a build I can play.

danowat

Banned
What are you talking about two years old?

Because by the time the development is completed on the content for PCars 2, PCars (1) will be two years old.

Or are you saying you want the entire development team to be working on DLC?

There are issues with PCars, but overall, at least on the PS4, it's a solid racing game, not at all surprised or infuriated that they are developing PCars 2

Bradd12

After going so long being envious of people with PCars builds I want to take the plunge but $100AUD is just too much for me D:

This is a terrible decision on their part, and I hope it doesn't blow in their faces.

As a marketing decision this is will only alienate their market. There is a reason why game sequels are not announced: announcing a sequel too soon WILL EAT THE SALES OF YOUR CURRENT GAME. Even annualized series don't do this. It's super amateur to think that you will educate the market otherwise since people buy videogames almost always on a sentimental basis.It's probably better to wait until sales of the first game have dwindled down before announcing sequels. It also erodes customer confidence. What will happen when pCars2 is released? Will I be asked again for more money for pCars 3? How long do they need to hold my money for?

This is for early adopters and supporters!

This would be acceptable if they only sold for early adopters and supporters. Unfortunately, they also sell to the regular market, and the regular market does not like to feel they are being "milked".

But this is crowdfunded, they need the money for 3 more months while they get paid!

Why is this an issue? They didn't take into account the post-release 3 month period in their original estimate? It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 10 staff, can't the company handle only 3 months of expenses? They already must have a lot of receivables with the 4 Million sales that they got.

But they need our help for development!

It's a good thing that they are taking into account the end user in the development of the product, and this truly is the way R&D is being handled right now, but in the end 3 or 4 months is not going to make or break a game that is still some years apart. They must have SOME artistic vision of the game before starting it. I am sure they can find things to keep their devs busy in the meantime, as most devs do

Some devs just need a kickstarter-addiction intervention

danowat

Banned
So the issue is the fact that they've announced it?.

So if they were working on it, and didn't announce it that would be OK?

The gaming community is a strange one, it's one of the only communities where a development team "doing it for the dollar" is a bad thing.

So the issue is the fact that they've announced it?.

So if they were working on it, and didn't announce it that would be OK?

The gaming community is a strange one, it's one of the only communities where a development team "doing it for the dollar" is a bad thing.

It's not bad nor good. It's bad for the marketing of their products, as good or bad as they are.

danowat

Banned
It's not bad nor good. It's bad for the marketing of their products, as good or bad as they are.

Their handling of PCars, especially their forum, has IMO, been catastrophically bad, they need better community liaison, and a bit more of a restrained figure head, mind you, AAA devs also get it bad, Forza was a clusterfuck as well in this respect.

But I feel that certain people are just waiting for any excuse to jump on the "bash SMS" bandwagon, trouble is, SMS keep giving them oppurtunites.

Spookie

But I feel that certain people are just waiting for any excuse to jump on the "bash SMS" bandwagon, trouble is, SMS keep giving them oppurtunites.

Oh fuck off with that noise, they are rightfully getting bashed for promoting a new game when the one they just released is in such poor condition. The amount of apologising going on for SMS is frankly embarrassing.

danowat

Banned
Man, why so hostile?, PCars isn't perfect, but it's still bloody good, and for me at least, well worth the asking price, even in it's initial state.

Mascot

Oh fuck off with that noise, they are rightfully getting bashed for promoting a new game when the one they just released is in such poor condition. The amount of apologising going on for SMS is frankly embarrassing.

I'm perpetually bemused by a lot of the design decisions in pCARS and constantly annoyed at how buggy it remains. I'm still having the most fun coupled with the biggest thrills of any racing game I've ever played though.

LilJoka

Yep, v1.4 how many bugs were fixed from the PC bugs list, maybe 2 out of 50? This is an embarrassment.

They need all the people working on PCars, people paid good money for a game yesterday that doesn't work as advertised.

I'm perpetually bemused by a lot of the design decisions in pCARS and constantly annoyed at how buggy it remains. I'm still having the most fun coupled with the biggest thrills of any racing game I've ever played though.

When you do a long race and the cars tyres explode after a pit or your car hits an invisible wall or your car goes flying into the air, it's not fun.

The game has eye candy, that isn't my definition of fun.

sourc3d

So many angry people over a minor announcement that a project is in the very infancy of its development cycle, and people who want to help build that new game over the next 2 years have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and contribute ideas an affect the outcome in a positive way.

Also its not a cap in hand kickstarter, or even traditional crowdfunding, or an investment and ultimately I'm sure the game could be funded without the community. But the community aspect of the development is what is so cool about it as a project and the devs see that too. You are effectively paying for an exclusive web membership to WMD, where you have the opportunity to contribute and have access to an in development build and make the game you ultimately want to play.

Now if Driveclub got a sequel announce before the PS+ edition materialised I could understand the resentment, or if like Polyphony they disabled the GT5 servers forcing people to get the poorly selling GT6 to be able to play online, i would cry foul play!

But its really not deserved in this instance with Project Cars, as the game will still be receiving bug fixes and the promised months of DLC making it a great game to own and play...nothing has changed there.

But for those who enjoy the transparency and opportunity a WMD membership represents, its an announcement to be celebrated.

Mascot

When you do a long race and the cars tyres explode after a pit or your car hits an invisible wall or your car goes flying into the air, it's not fun.

No, it's not fun when things like that happen. It's terrible, and things like that should not be in the game.

TJP

I agree 100%. You'd think SMS would have learnt from NFS: Shift which was unplayable at launch (carerra GT race was fucked, PS3 version didn't have damage enabled), Unleashed was better but still in need of patching and PCars is a mess right now.

SMS have upped the minimum amount to join the project to avoid the riff raff joining up according to Ian Bell on VirtualR. Shame as the minimum only gets one the standard edition of PCars #2.

virtualS

I think this is really dumb.

Expand on PCars 1 to the point where it is its own sequel and more. Sell more copies.

I suppose SMS needs cash in the here and now.

MaxiLive

Wow and they are kickstarting this as well? Looking for £7 million to continue a franchise that ran top of the charts for a few weeks and has probably paid of all of its previous development debts and then some!

I'm guessing that is why it was announced so early as you need the crowd funded development team on board ASAP but asking for that kind of money seems super gross considering they have had a very successful game and have Namco behind them now.

Wow and they are kickstarting this as well? Looking for £7 million to continue a franchise that ran top of the charts for a few weeks and has probably paid of all of its previous development debts and then some!

I'm guessing that is why it was announced so early as you need the crowd funded development team on board ASAP but asking for that kind of money seems super gross considering they have had a very successful game and have Namco behind them now.
Isn't Namco just a distributor? Not a publisher in the usual sense that funds development.

Fonds

Poor move.
When DC had a horrible launch they made a comeback the likes of which MJ would be envious.
These guys just jump ship straight away, not a classy move.

20cent

Banned
how about making more contents for a game you just released, fully sourced and sold millions?

I love the game but there are a lot of things to add or fix. How about some more cars first?

danowat

Banned
how about making more contents for a game you just released, fully sourced and sold millions?

I love the game but there are a lot of things to add or fix. How about some more cars first?

Who says they've stopped working on PCars 1?.

SMS have stated that 40 people are continuing to work on PCars 1, and will be supported for 2 years.

Is this not enough?.

I sure hope all the issues do get ironed out.

PtM

Banned
I'm more annoyed by the fact that I was one of the early backer under the promise of the Wii U version that is becoming less and less likely each day :\ They kinda glossed over that and announced PC2 instead.
Nope, they said they'll have a go at it after E3.

Also, yes, this is terrible marketing, if only because it's not supposed to market. It is PR: If they want to have crowdfunding for the second game, the time to run it is now.

Seanspeed

Banned
I almost got PCars in the Steam sale, but decided against it due to the bugs. I assumed they're working to fix them. Is that not the case then?
They're still working on Project Cars.

This really isn't much different to how most sequels would get made except that they are announcing it very, very early due to their funding plans.

paskowitz

They could have partially alleviated this whole debacle with one simple detail:

"Project CARS 2 Funding Now Open! Target release: 2017-2018"

More than anything though, it would really help if pCARS was in a sound state and had its DLC plans fully detailed.

Poor move.
When DC had a horrible launch they made a comeback the likes of which MJ would be envious.
These guys just jump ship straight away, not a classy move.

How are so many people oblivious to game development standards, even on NeoGaf?

As soon as a game is released, part of the team works on patches and DLC, while the rest of them start moving onto the next big project. Usually you don't hear about that because it's publisher funded, and they won't reveal the game until it's in a state to be shown. Slightly Mad Studios use crowdfunding instead of pure publisher money though, giving them a lot more freedom to create the games they (and their community) want.

Example: Fallout 4 began development in 2009, almost immediately after Fallout 3 launched. They didn't abandon Fallout 3 though - they still had people working on patches and DLC. They went into full production on Fallout 4 in 2011, shortly after Skyrim launched, while still being able to patch and release DLC for the recent Elder Scrolls game.

The ONLY difference here is you're hearing about every stage of their development cycle due to their funding solution. This is 100% normal in game development. They're not abandoning the game they just released. There will be plenty of DLC. It's just that rather than fire their programmers or have them twiddling their thumbs while the artists work on more cars and tracks for DLC, it makes a lot more sense to start funding their next game and have those programmers get to work on the foundations.

_machine

Wow never knew, they are actually targeting 11 million dollars on Kickstarter? Is this true?
Budget seems to be that, but:
-it's not kickstarter it's their own platform
-it's the total budget, most big kickstarter games don't derive their full budget from the campaign, for example Divinity had less than 20% budget through KS.
-they will put more of their own money as well as actual private investors
-there's no target, they still plan on raising a big chunk of the money on their own and the amount of people let in will limited due to the forums ballooning otherwise
-11mil is fairly reasonable, hell it's kinda low for the scope given, but I get the feeling that this time they have much more allocated on polishing the crap out of it

Top Bottom