• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

I think Project Cars backing project (and I was a backer of the first game) has created something akin to a cult. It's fanboyism + financial interest. Scary.

Mascot

Shooters :)
LOL
Other racers with a more tactile feel and response between ground, wheel, and hands.

I'm still interested to know which of these other racing games you were directly comparing the feel of pCARS to in your review. It's quite important as they vary widely, and each has its own idiosyncrasies, and pros and cons.

I think Project Cars backing project (and I was a backer of the first game) has created something akin to a cult. It's fanboyism + financial interest. Scary.
There's no public financial investment in pCARS 2 though..?

terrible

Banned

People are just really damn weird. Lots of games have fanatical followers, people don't need a financial incentive to go to war for a game. Heck it is not even just games; you see it with music, movies, tv shows, phone brands, etc. We really need other people to like what we like apparently.

danowat

Banned
Even without the financial incentive of the first one, I would imagine there is still some vested interest , as people might feel that PC2 is "their baby" as they were a member of the dev team (by proxy), the fanaticism that Ian shows doesn't help either.

Plus, people are mental.

My review
Wait for Sale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxh7E-YlFI

Even with the patch the game has a large number of graphical issues, issues with the AI and its way of driving looking really odd. I tried to capture it in the video. Its like it gets confused and goes digital left, right, left right, in every corner like a kid hitting a digital steering pad versus analog or something. And it still feels a bit off. Somewhat like Project Cars where it feels like there is this strange fine layer of translation going on when your driving. Its not a pause. Its...just a bit numb. I spent hours in the FFB and in the controller settings. Based on PS4 and PS4pro versions. PC version wouldn't work.

As for control. Its better than Project Cars and not perfect. But I think some folks forget that some of these cars are BRUTES even with a steering wheel. Its insane. In a good way

That DOES NOT mean its bad. Its not. There is a ton of content and the career mode is the bomb and its fun. But my honest opinion is the racing scheme is pretty crowded with some excellent entries both already released and coming and this misses that instant buy mark.
Is HDR for PS4 coming via a patch? Seems odd that the XB1 has it but the PS4 doesn't.

KdotIX

I feel really sorry for Karak and other reviewers of this game when they get stupid threats like this, especially when they're essentially doing a service for us. Some people are just plain dumb... Keep your head up Karak, thanks for the detailed review.

Also sucks about the mis-communication from Bamco and SMS.

Anyway, will wait for the other reviews to hit before doing anything. I already have it pre-ordered via Steam, but I may send a refund request through if the reviews are consistently picking up on handling issues. Then again, I didn't find it all bad in PCars 1 after some fiddling. So even if it's a minor improvement from the first game, then thats something, right?

GHG

Wow, so the controller issues are still a thing?

I don't know man, from the time I played the game with a controller, it was worlds apart from Cars 1. Very satisfying indeed.
Perhaps something made its way into the latest builds or something?

No they're not. I don't think anyone is saying they're problematic.

In a strange twist it's now the wheel defaults that people are taking issue with.

willbsn13

Ya later patch.

Ian Bell is still saying there's no flickering in gameplay. Not sure if he's misinterpreting what you're saying or just blindly defending his product

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-reviews.357791/page-4#post-11945655

There is no flickering to speak of in gameplay. In replays we reposition the shadow frustums to 'focus on the action' leading to some shadow issues away from the action. It's already improved for the next patch though.

fresquito

Even without the financial incentive of the first one, I would imagine there is still some vested interest , as people might feel that PC2 is "their baby" as they were a member of the dev team (by proxy), the fanaticism that Ian shows doesn't help either.

Plus, people are mental.
This.

Some people at WMD can be really scary, like looking for leaked videos of PC2 to report and stuff like that. They feel like part of a family, like they are lesser SMS staff, but still SMS staff. It's really odd for me.

I can see why they are rising some eyebrows at these controls comments, but threatening? Some people are just mental.

Karak

Ian implies you're liying about the embargo date.

Oh thats no biggy he is for sure wrong about what I was informed of. And at least a couple others who were wondering. Its not a biggy. Unless...someone pretended to be a BN employee, got their letterheard, then bought a game, and gave it to me, just to set me up...lol
i already got feedback from a separate PR company also handling the game, in addition to the actual press kit/game letter that I took a pic of and then also an additional email lol. That's a problem somewhere else and I know that one pr person at bandi was saying one time other time as well. It happens.

I can see them, but I am not sure what I am looking for........
Those video links work now - and I can see flickering in the trees. Hard to tell how much of this I'd actually notice in gameplay as I'm often oblivious to everything but the cockpit and road ahead, but its there alright.

Constant LOD shifts on the back windows of the cars ahead of me I'll notice, as I do in other games. But technically speaking the load times and any frame pacing issues are what could end up getting to me, if they're common.

Karak

Those video links work now - and I can see flickering in the trees. Hard to tell how much of this I'd actually notice in gameplay as I'm often oblivious to everything but the cockpit and road ahead, but its there alright.

Constant LOD shifts on the back windows of the cars ahead of me I'll notice, as I do in other games. But technically speaking the load times and any frame pacing issues are what could end up getting to me, if they're common.

Its also super bad right at the end on the right. Patchable though. Least the game is really fun

fresquito

I don't think that's the same issue you are reporting in your review. This doesn't look like flickering shadows, but like a LOD inconsistency, which in results is making shadows go ape. So, (two different problems that need patching? lol:).

MaLDo

I don't think that's the same issue you are reporting in your review. This doesn't look like flickering shadows, but like a LOD inconsistency, which in results is making shadows go ape. So, (two different problems that need patching? lol:).

I can see the same problem of flickering shadows in the gameplay video.

Not saying that anyone shouldn't be bothered by that, but it's not something that bothers me, apart from the bit on the right towards the end, I had to strain my eyes to see it!

Yup it'll bother some others not at all. I think I'm in the "it would bother me" camp. I'd rather have no shadows than flicking ones.

I'll take locked lower fps over stuttering any day, but I've friends quite the opposition. Some say Driveclub best console racing graphics, me I found it so murky and indistinct I can't play it properly.

danowat

Banned
Yup it'll bother some others not at all. I think I'm in the "it would bother me" camp. I'd rather have no shadows than flicking ones.

I'll take locked lower fps over stuttering any day, but I've friends quite the opposition. Some say Driveclub best console racing graphics, me I found it so murky and indistinct I can't play it properly.

I'd loose the trees if it meant 60fps!

JamboGT

I think it would be really weird if I jumped into the comments on a review thread of any game I had worked on, never mind if the head of a project was doing it, then again he has form!

Mascot

It really does seem like different BN reps have been giving different embargo deadlines to different people. What a mess.

fresquito

My Embargo info says the following:

It means today at 3PM Central European Time.

EDIT: Also, there is a Day1 Patch coming apparently.
From what I gather, the D1P you talk about is not what was supposed to be D1P. Not that it matters for people buying the game, but it does matter if the review code is showing some glaring problems.

Mascot

From what I gather, the D1P you talk about is not what was supposed to be D1P. Not that it matters for people buying the game, but it does matter if the review code is showing some glaring problems.

So, there was a D1P that reviewers got a couple of weeks ago with their review code, and there will be another different, newer, better D1P for consumers on Friday? I hope so.

Top Bottom