• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protein Discovered Inside a Meteorite (yes, it is a big deal)

llien

A team of researchers from Plex Corporation, Bruker Scientific LLC and Harvard University has found evidence of a protein inside of a meteorite. They have written a paper describing their findings and have uploaded it to the arXiv preprint server. Phys.Org reports: In this new effort, the researchers have discovered a protein called hemolithin inside of a meteorite that was found in Algeria back in 1990. The hemolithin protein found by the researchers was a small one, and was made up mostly of glycine, and amino acids. It also had oxygen, lithium and iron atoms at its ends -- an arrangement never seen before. The team's paper has not yet been peer reviewed, but once the findings are confirmed, their discovery will add another piece to the puzzle that surrounds the development of life on Earth. Proteins are considered to be essential building blocks for the development of living things, and finding one on a meteorite bolsters theories that suggest either life, or something very close to it, came to Earth from elsewhere in space.

Proteins are considered by chemists to be quite complex, which means a lot of things would have to happen by chance for protein formation. For hemolithin to have formed naturally in the configuration found would require glycine to form first, perhaps on the surface of grains of space dust. After that, heat by way of molecular clouds might have induced units of glycine to begin linking into polymer chains, which at some point, could evolve into fully formed proteins. The researchers note that the atom groupings on the tips of the protein form an iron oxide that has been seen in prior research to absorb photons -- a means of splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen, thereby producing an energy source that would also be necessary for the development of life.

slashdot

Such finding does not bolster the idea that Life or some building blocks for life came from outer space, it rather bolsters the idea that life can form spontaneously.

Galactus is coming. And he’s hungry.

This sounds pretty cool. I don’t understand half of the quoted portion but it sounds cool.

Life finds a way, Jurassic Park taught me that

giphy.gif

Last edited:
For hemolithin to have formed naturally in the configuration found would require glycine to form first, perhaps on the surface of grains of space dust. After that, heat by way of molecular clouds might have induced units of glycine to begin linking into polymer chains, which at some point, could evolve into fully formed proteins. The researchers note that the atom groupings on the tips of the protein form an iron oxide that has been seen in prior research to absorb photons -- a means of splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen, thereby producing an energy source that would also be necessary for the development of life.

Exclusive footage of the team coming up with this explanation:

Tesseract

Banned
their standards are dubious in many cases, i troll the server every day and it's kinda meh

black goo iz here tho, fill thine cups wit da juice of life

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Such finding does not bolster the idea that Life or some building blocks for life came from outer space, it rather bolsters the idea that life can form spontaneously.

How do you figure? The discovery seems to directly support the idea that life did not spring up randomly from nothing on Earth.

Guiberu

Exciting.

More so when peer reviewed.

Any idea why it took 30 years to discover? Technological advancements, presumably?

NSFL
I hope the first genuine ET life we find looks exactly like this:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Amino acid condensation does not seem that outlandish to me in an energetic cloud. Carboxylation and amination would be pretty common too, so you are bound to end up with glycine (the simplest amino acid), and then condensation is not too outlandish.

Selection could even start with chains that happened to be bonded to metal oxides self-catalyzing condensation and extension of themselves or nearby chains, by how the article describes this enzyme's activity. It can break the water generated from one condensation and generate energy for more condensation.

Karma Jawa

Imagine if the protein meteorite killed a vegan. Oh the irony.

To be honest stuff like this isn’t a big deal at this stage. Yeah if it’s proven it’s incredibly significant, but a non-peer reviewed research paper on something that could easily have been contaminated over the last 30 years isn’t a big story.

Stouffers

Banned
Before I was old, I used to have quite the “velocity.” It’s not impossible that one of my ropes could have escaped earths gravity, collected a shell of smaller meteorites over the last couple of decades and just now came back down.

Airola

Wouldn't this kinda show that the chance for the existence of life is even more rare?
I mean, if this planet as it is is not able to create life on its own but a random meteorite from outer space that happens to have the rest of the stuff needed for life has been required to be in the mix, then shouldn't the possibility of life ever happening in the universe be even smaller.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
LOL??????

I spit out my fuckin drink

I legit just laughed at this

WTF is this madness

giphy.gif

best thing ive ever seen
Shit like that is often see in 9gag comments section. Many shit I am even afraid to post in here, but yes it's comedy gold : D

South

Banned
So under Trump we have more Half Life, founded Space Force and now found alien life! What a time to be alive!

Top Bottom