• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters Drown Out Richard Spencer At UF: "Fuck You Spencer!"

Dude, almost every single white person in America starts out unknowingly racist on some level because they're not exposed to racism, BECAUSE THEY'RE WHITE.

Consider that. Also, what the true definition of racism is. Look up symbolic racism.

No lies detected.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I just think it's ridiculous people threw a fit over me stating that I wish I could have asked my question. It's crazy that people went as far as insinuating that I'm a racist/nazi apologist for wanting to ask a question that would stump him! The fuck is up with people? I don't understand why so many liberals call people racist over nothing. Utterly ridiculous. And sad, because as a fellow liberal I'm disappointed.

And then there were the people calling me an attention troll when in reality there was nothing in my post that should have possibly triggered anyone. My post was not worthy of attention at all. The mental gymnastics of some people.

I drove 4 hours to get to Gainesville so I could stand by my brothers and sisters as an alumni and people on here accuse me of being a nazi over wanting to call him fake news to his face. How can wanting to call out that scumbag to his face possibly be construed as being a Nazi apologist? Smh.
You admitted you were seeking attention and fame but now you deny the facts. If anything, you're the one triggered by a woman asking a question and you feeling jealousy for not having asked one then coming back home and whining about it here.

Dude, almost every single white person in America starts out unknowingly racist on some level because they're not exposed to racism, BECAUSE THEY'RE WHITE.

Consider that. Also, what the true definition of racism is. Look up symbolic racism.

Are we talking tabula rasa racism here? Or by "starts out" do you mean... like when would you say a white kid becomes racist on average?

Racism is not just the blatant horrible shit. You don't have to be burning crosses in a black families yard or stringing people up from tree's to be considered racist. The fact most people can't even seem to acknowledge they have bias at all or that things like institutional racist still exists in this day and age shows you how racist people can be without even uttering a racial slur.

Ah, so racism starts with calling out a white supremacist. Gotcha...

You admitted you were seeking attention and fame but now you deny the facts. If anything, you're the one triggered by a woman asking a question and you feeling jealousy for not having asked one then coming back home and whining about it here.

I was seeking my 15 minutes of fame. So what? Every person that asked a question wanted to call him out and get chants supporting them. Who gives a shit? Tell me why this triggers you again. And please point out one post where I denied I wanted some fame.

Yes, I wanted to be a person who called out Richard Spencer to his face on TV. Triggered yet?

Not

Banned
Are we talking tabula rasa racism here? Or by "starts out" do you mean... like when would you say a white kid becomes racist on average?

Good question. I don't believe in tabula rasa so to speak, but I think cultural environment influences humans more than conventional wisdom accounts for.

It stands to reason, I think, that in a class-based society, historically divided by artificial race distinctions, the people who benefit from that delusion for the most part don't impart the existence of that system to their progeny in order to avoid addressing the complications of altering a status quo, allowing the people who overtly take advantage of the racial class system to maintain power they haven't earned by any "merit" besides their appearance.

Speaking as a straight white guy, I remember CONSTANTLY thinking that America had come very far in the few decades before i was born and that racism was largely a thing of the past, and I can only explain this nowadays by taking into account the fact that people may have treated me differently based on the way I looked, affecting my personal anecdotal viewpoint and thus what I was willing to believe.

Absolutely not. All I meant was that I wish everyone would start looking past the color of someone's skin and see the people underneath.

"i don't see color" is something the right has tried before to mask their racism, all you're achieving is accidental(?) dogwhistling here bub

mernst23

Ah, so racism starts with calling out a white supremacist. Gotcha...

I was seeking my 15 minutes of fame. So what? Every person that asked a question wanted to call him out and get chants supporting them. Who gives a shit? Tell me why this triggers you again. And please point out one post where I denied I wanted some fame.

Yes, I wanted to be a person who called out Richard Spencer to his face on TV. Triggered yet?

Dude, just stop coming to this thread. Michael Scott levels of self unawareness and butt hurt attention seeking.

Dude, just stop coming to this thread. Michael Scott levels of self unawareness and butt hurt attention seeking.

Why should I stop coming?

I'll tell you what: I'll stop coming when people stop posting shit on me.

It's almost like you are giving attention to me every time you post some crap on me. Shocking!

Not

Banned
I'd love one yes.

wd4MUqb.png

Earendil

"i don't see color" is something the right has tried before to mask their racism, all you're achieving is accidental(?) dogwhistling here bub

I would be happy to learn a better way to phrase it then, I certainly meant no offense. I believe everyone deserves kindness and respect regardless of their skin color, provided they show that same respect to everyone else.

Because asking what you think is a clever "how dare you sir" type question just gives them an opportunity to have a platform and negotiate with you. Fuck that.

The good questions were the troll ones like "why are you all so ugly"

And you know what, if that had been the only response I had gotten I probably would have said "I disagree I think calling him fake news would be both trolling him and asking a legitimate question" and that would have been the end of it. There's no need to insinuate racism or Nazi apologism. By the way, there were many anti-Spencers asking serious questions. Not saying it was particularly good for them to, but I can't see why anyone would berate them, or even be seriously bothered by it. Not sure if you watched it, but it seemed like some people genuinely wanted to ask him about his fucked up beliefs and comments. I happened to be one of them.

mlclmtckr

Banned
1) Calling someone fake news is the lamest most cornball shit

2) Why don't you just email him and ask him about why he is the way he is

Earendil

I think everyone wishes race didn't matter. But BELIEVING that it doesn't is a huge part of why racial supremacy still exists.

Thank you for explaining. I didn't mean that I believe race doesn't exist, but simply that it shouldn't matter and all people should be treated equally.

1) Calling someone fake news is the lamest most cornball shit

2) Why don't you just email him and ask him about why he is the way he is

1) I disagree because they are the ones that perpetuate the term. By using the term against them it will leave them quite flustered I feel.

2) I would not contaminate my email with his name.

rjinaz

I would be happy to learn a better way to phrase it then, I certainly meant no offense. I believe everyone deserves kindness and respect regardless of their skin color, provided they show that same respect to everyone else.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wishing that racism wasn't a thing. The problem with the "I don't see color" mentality is that people use it as an excuse to ignore the examples of racism around them, because in their minds, everybody is equal therefore there are no problems. It ignores the reality that race is a very real thing in America that can influence jobs, success, and a lot of other things. It also stops a person from realizing that perhaps they aren't as unbiased as they think they are.

I used to be one of those people that didn't see race, and yet, I still had horribly racist views as a result like "racism is over, it's THEM that are the problem (and even racist), because they keep talking about race".

Anyway, I don't think you meant any harm. I just came to realize, as White man, I never have to think about my own race, which makes it easy to come to the conclusion that racism isn't a thing.

Earendil

I don't think there is anything wrong with wishing that racism wasn't a thing. The problem with the "I don't see color" mentality is that people use it as an excuse to ignore the examples of racism around them, because in their minds, everybody is equal therefore there are no problems. It ignores the reality that race is a very real thing in America that can influence jobs, success, and a lot of other things. It also stops a person from realizing that perhaps they aren't as unbiased as they think they are.

I used to be one of those people that didn't see race, and yet, I still had horribly racist views as a result like "racism is over, it's THEM that are the problem, and even racist, because they keep talking about race".

Anyway, I don't think you meant any harm.

I certainly didn't mean any harm. I know that racism is a very real issue in this country and the fact that it still exists in this day and age pisses me off.

I certainly didn't mean any harm. I know that racism is a very real issue in this country and the fact that it still exists in this day and age pisses me off.

I know exactly how you feel. You simply mean that when you meet or see a person, "He's black" or "he's white" doesn't enter your mind.

I don't like being asked my ethnicity or which nationality I associate myself with more. I'm half Colombian and half Salvadoran. I've been asked which country I consider myself a part of and my answer is always none. I don't care to be a Colombian or Salvadoran or American. It's all the same to me: human. But the very real effects of racism are of course always kept in mind.

theBmZ

Lol at them calling us violent antifa members. It was very peaceful yesterday. I didn’t see any violence. Nobody wanted to hear his bullshit, so we made it to where nobody could.

Ishan

What drives me crazy about this is there already is a white identity. It's called "the default".

in the past 200 years maybe 300 at most. why many brown/asian ppl dont give a shit about it .. dude we ruled the world 1000 years ago ... that was default ages ago. this is default just for our lifetimes. I dont think americans get this perspective. To many poc (international) its just white americans trying to act big without knowledge ... doesnt bug us.

EDIT: a white nationalist is just a moron. He's correct on at say 1900 the western civilization was better etc etc but then he doesnt consider the past so i can agree on some part disagree on his overall premise and not be bothered by it.

Top Bottom