• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests happening in Minneapolis and Baton Rouge right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
No worries, it's good to have this forum to voice our understandings. I'm definetely learning a lot about this and I'm better for it. At this point, government needs to step in and take action. BLM is doing their part, it's time for government to setup up to the plate and take action.

• These officers need to be sanctioned and justice given to them to provide a precedence, that these actions will not be tolerated.
  • More training needs to be given to all officers to allow them to know when to resort to their firearm (it's not your first tool to use).
  • Screening needs to be done to weed out bigoted officers who obviously have their own agenda.
  • And of course, more public awareness of all of this needs to be spread among the masses.
I'm very happy to see we are on the same page! Obviously, being able to work is a great thing, but we must ensure ALL black Americans can do so too without being discriminated against by law enforcement. Hell, regardless of what they're doing.

Ms.Galaxy

The bus boycott was a financial boycott. That's why it worked.

Sorry but stopping people from getting to their jobs does fuckall to convince them Black lives matter. Financial boycotts work far quicker. Hit those corporations pockets and you'll see change much quicker than stopping Timmy-Twelve-Dollars-Per-Hour from getting to work.

Hmm, stopping people from going to work means less money for the companies they work for because people aren't doing their scheduled job, maybe even less money for the employee, which in turns leads to less people buying stuff which means less money for the companies, so technically...

It could work. Imagine hundreds of protests happen on the same day in key roads and highways, you can be sure the economy and a lot of corporations would take a hit.

I also feel like there's historical context to taking over freeways since so many of them were built over black neighborhoods decades ago for white flight. It's going right for the mobility and privilege white America takes for granted that came at the expense of black people.

When people are like "but my commute," it comes off so shortsighted and ignorant to me.

Dai101

Banned
I need to get to work. I'm an hourly contractor and if I don't work, I don't get paid. There are many others like me and shutting down highways is obnoxious and is more likely to anger people than to afford their sympathy. Picket the capital building, malls, public attractions; fine, but stay off the highways. Do this not only for your safety, but for the safety of others. It only takes one crazed lunatic to say F it and just drive right on through.

I guess I'm de-sensitized as I live in a fairly affluent, non-black area. We have plenty of Indian and Somalians in our neighborhood, but we all commingle and blend together nicely. I really hope we can all come to some sort of resolution, and fast. All lives (black, white, blue, purple, whatever) matter.

B5YGXEo.gif

Onemic

I also feel like there's historical context to taking over freeways since so many of them were built over black neighborhoods decades ago for white flight. It's going right for the mobility and privilege white America takes for granted that came at the expense of black people.

When people are like "but my commute," it comes off so shortsighted and ignorant to me.

Im only worried about them doing it for their general safety. I dont even know how they managed to do it here without someone accidentally running them over.

Just sitting back and hoping minds changes, people become empathetic and that our fellow American's start treating minorities of all sorts as people didn't work, AT ALL. I think its time to piss in their cheerios because pissing them off is more of a reaction than anything else that has been done the last few decades. Playing nice got no one anywhere and pissing people off seems to actually be getting the word out. People are doing a lot more talking about Black Lives and the state of Black America far more now than they ever were before and that's because black people and their supporters are getting up in peoples faces whether the like it or not.

Let me make this really simple:

Blocking traffic don't do shit.

Moving your money to a Black bank will do shit.

Screaming at people holding a sign won't do shit.

Stop giving these multinational corporations your money will do shit.

The power structure doesn't take the I95 to work.

Edit: Okay, sorry that came out wrong and was insensitive. As you can tell I was just a bit frustrated by the traffic, but have had time to cool off. Once again, sorry about my post.

I agree with you when it comes to individual actions, but I'm really curious to see what would happen if protestors just fucked up transport in big cities consistently toward that larger goal of disrupting the economy.

People supporting this obviously weren't stuck in traffic on their way to work. There is nothing worse than sitting in your car for 2 hours and having to stay at work later.

It's easy to be supportive when it isn't you that is getting affected by these protests.
It's easy for me to be supportive because I want people of color to have the same freedom I have.

It's easy for you to be dismissive if your life, your family's lives, and your friends' lives aren't on the line.

Mike M

Nick N
People supporting this obviously weren't stuck in traffic on their way to work. There is nothing worse than sitting in your car for 2 hours and having to stay at work later.
I think being shot by the police for spurious reasons might be a taaaaaaaaaad worse.

Just a tad.

Mr. X

It's easy to be supportive when it isn't you that is getting affected by these protests.
It's easier to be dismissive when you're complexion is the right one.

Obviously sitting in a car is worse than being shot just because of who you are...

ColdPizza

Banned

Buffalo is a perfect example of this.

Once a starting point for many immigrant groups, neighborhoods on Buffalo’s East Side were primarily African-American during the fifties and sixties. Redlining, blockbusting, divestment, and white flight contributed to entrenched segregation within the city, trapping most African-American households between Main Street and Buffalo’s eastern boundary. Lacking the political power it currently possesses, Buffalo’s black population was unable to generate sufficient opposition to the Kensington Expressway to prevent its construction.

Before the expressway, Humboldt Park was one of Buffalo’s only integrated, middle-class neighborhoods. Several years of damaging highway construction deteriorated housing values and hastened the exodus of whites to the suburbs, destroying the district’s stability. The year of the highway’s completion, 1967, coincided with several race riots in Buffalo. Continued discrimination in lending, housing, and education, coupled with a plethora of urban renewal projects that uprooted and displaced many low-income minority neighborhoods, clashed with the recent victories of the Civil Rights Movement, helping to engender racial violence in many American cities

http://www.academia.edu/10752054/Inequity_in_Planning_Buffalos_Kensington_Expressway

The city is about to spend $6 million on a feasibility study to undo it.

Dai101

Banned

r81negK.jpg

Yeah, heard that Tamir? Good one, right.

Oh wait, he can't hear us anymore because he was FUCKING MURDERED FOR BEING BLACK.

Kettch

Without looking at post history, I'm 99% sure that Easystride's post is a parody, guys. It's just too perfectly ridiculous.

msv

You think the protesters don't have a job they need to get to? How about you think about that you're delayed for 2 hours, while they are missing days. Maybe then you'll see how serious this is. Your two hours mean shit compared to their inconvenience. But of course, you don't even see that, because you don't give a fuck,

Either way, you should be protesting right there with them. If you aren't, then you sure as hell shouldn't be complaining, but support them in any way you can.

If you instead complain about what they're doing you're saying 1 - I don't care enough about your issue enough to protest with you and 2 - I care so little that I don't even want to be inconvenienced by it. You're practically agreeing with what they're protesting against. These people are protesting you. So it's a good thing that you're inconvenienced, how else are you going to realize how serious the issue is?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Simple? You're just spouting defeatist BS. By your simple logic its all worth shit so don't do anything unless its going to get something "done". Its not as simple as one hoping one event or strategy is going to change things all by its lonesome. We've seen that time and again, its sustained momentum which it seems we have the first real push in years that wasn't some misguided unexpected clusterfuck like Occupy.

So you can keep it simple, and cynical and I'll hope they keep blocking traffic because guess what? No ones going to be talking at all about black issues, positive or negative, other wise. You keep telling people what these protests won't do but I don't hear much about what can be done to get more of a response out of people.

Infinite

America has effectively turn black people into wasps. America don't do shit for black people out of sympathy or because it's simply the right thing to do so we are reduced into annoying America into action.

You think the protesters don't have a job they need to get to? How about you think about that you're delayed for 2 hours, while they are missing days. Maybe then you'll see how serious this is. Your two hours mean shit compared to their inconvenience. But of course, you don't even see that, because you don't give a fuck,

Either way, you should be protesting right there with them. If you aren't, then you sure as hell shouldn't be complaining, but support them in any way you can.

If you instead complain about what they're doing you're saying 1 - I don't care enough about your issue enough to protest with you and 2 - I care so little that I don't even want to be inconvenienced by it. You're practically agreeing with what they're protesting against. These people are protesting you. So it's a good thing that you're inconvenienced, how else are you going to realize how serious the issue is?

Sorry ya'll, I re-read my post and it definitely came off as insensitive, which was not my intention.

Change does need to happen.

JB1981

I take it you don't commute for a living

Seems complex since you came online to post ideas in response to the blacks holding signs and blocking traffic. The more relevant question appears to be what are you going to do about their activities in the street rather than it working in a manner in which you approve. What can you and others make them do to feel more comfortable? Are you going to crush the protests in order to preserve the commute?

kirblar

When people are like "Yeah but they're angry" and use that to defend that type of behavior, it comes off as simply justifying a desire to inflict pain and misery under the guise of self-righteousness.

Seems complex since you came online to post ideas in response to the blacks holding signs and blocking traffic. The more relevant question appears to be what are you going to do about their activities in the street rather than it working in a manner in which you approve. What can you and others make them do to feel more comfortable? Are you going to crush the protests in order to preserve the commute?

the group blocking I-35W this morning weren't black, they were self-proclaimed nonblack allies.

the more racially diverse crowd was the one blocking I-94 very late at night when commute issues weren't really a thing.

obviously disagreeing with mammoth about the effectiveness of this particular incident is cool but he's hardly anti-black and hasn't said shit about "crushing protests"

When people are like "Yeah but they're angry" and use that to defend that type of behavior, it comes off as simply justifying a desire to inflict pain and misery under the guise of self-righteousness.

Sitting in traffic is "pain and misery." Got it.

The_Kid

Second only to when the barista forgets the whipped cream on my Caramel Macchiato

Well when I heard about how bad and douchey protests were that morning people didn't say that "oh we had to sit in traffic", it was "think of the people who are going to get fired, or the people who can't get to the hospital". Which is fair, but I feel like those are arguments to the extreme instead of what actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom