• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

That's the magic of the marketing. They want you to go for the highest amount possible.

Also, 3 dollars for 4 hours is actually really good if we compare it to going to see a movie (10 bucks for 2 hours).

That would be an excellent analogy if we could all finish games in 4 hours.

That seems much more reasonable. But i still dont think the prices make sense. Why would i rent for 4 hours when i could just rent for a week and actually beat the game?

I guess maybe to rent a local coop game if i have friends over?

And why rent for a week when a month is only 3 more dollars?

The truth is that they don't care if you rent for 4 hours. They're trying to draw you towards the week, and are willing to have very few people sign up for 4 hours to do that.

Saints Row the Third now only has the 4 hours for $5 or 90 days for $30 rental options lol.

Heh. I recently replayed SR3 on my Nvidia Shield for free using the beta of their Grid cloud streaming service. But sure, it's obviously those greedy publishers milking beta testers and not our beloved Sony.

Heh. I recently replayed SR3 on my Nvidia Shield for free using the beta of their Grid cloud streaming service. But sure, it's obviously those greedy publishers milking beta testers and not our beloved Sony.

I look forward to your outrage when Grid stops being a free beta and they start charging to play games, too.

lorddct

I hope they make it part of the PSN subscription or something, these current prices are a little insane!

But service is pretty nice.

Two Words

The pricing on this is really bad, but how has the actual service been for you guys? I tested it out on Big Sky Infinity since it was free and I was surprised how well it worked. I could barely percieve any lag at all. I started a download to try it, and I could then tell it was lagging. But when I had it running without any downloads going, it felt basically like remote playing locally. If they can get the price of this service right, then I am convinced it can be a big hit.

Hexa

Since everyone seems to have ignored the NDA I'll just throw out my stuff as well.

First game I started with DoA 5 Ultimate. There was perceivable lag, though it was still fun to play, but when they switched to the next phase I still had a couple days left on DoA 5 and it was much better.
Game I played most in next phase was Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger. Went incredibly well, barring occasional major quality lag drops.
Then Catherine. Once again, worked amazing, though still had issues sometimes.
Then Puppeteer, which I also played concurrently locally because it was free on PS+ and felt absolutely no difference, barring once again major quality drops sometimes, though rarer, still there.

I have not played anything since it began costing money.

Hexa

Lots of people played SR3 (with all DLC) for free as well on PSNow during an earlier phase. Right now they're testing pricing models however.

Publishers are the ones that decide prices. When they're picking crappy prices what makes more sense. Let them push the prices during the closed beta and see the massive backlash despite it being a closed beta and hopefully have them see their error and have them fix it (hopefully), or to ignore that the prices publishers are using are crappy for launch and let them screw up the main launch of the service.

BadWolf

Since everyone seems to have ignored the NDA I'll just throw out my stuff as well.

First game I started with DoA 5 Ultimate. There was perceivable lag, though it was still fun to play, but when they switched to the next phase I still had a couple days left on DoA 5 and it was much better.
Game I played most in next phase was Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger. Went incredibly well, barring occasional major quality lag drops.
Then Catherine. Once again, worked amazing, though still had issues sometimes.
Then Puppeteer, which I also played concurrently locally because it was free on PS+ and felt absolutely no difference, barring once again major quality drops sometimes, though rarer, still there.

I have not played anything since it began costing money.

Thanks for the impressions, at least in terms of performance the service sounds promising.

Totally not interested.

I want a Netflix type of pricing model where I pay a flat monthly rate for unlimited access to any game I want to play, at any time.

Paying per-title, for a limited time is not going to work. It has "fail" all over it.

That's the magic of the marketing. They want you to go for the highest amount possible.

Also, 3 dollars for 4 hours is actually really good if we compare it to going to see a movie (10 bucks for 2 hours).

Yea, buy paying $19 to own a 2-hour movie forever on (DVD/CD), not to mention all the extra stuff on the discs (documentaries, commentary, etc...), is better than paying $3 for a 1-time 4-hour gameplay session.

Especially if you can't finish the game in 4-hours.

I hope they make it part of the PSN subscription or something, these current prices are a little insane!

But service is pretty nice.

i would be so happy if they bundled this in with ps+. but it'll probably be a seperate thing. and even then, i'd pay for a yearly/monthly subscription of it if the game selection is nice and the price isn't crazy.

for now though, i'm not dropping rental money on games in a beta.

Two Words

Yea, buy paying $19 to own a 2-hour movie forever on (DVD/CD), not to mention all the extra stuff on the discs (documentaries, commentary, etc...), is better than paying $3 for a 1-time 4-hour gameplay session.

A 4 hour $3 rental makes sense if you are interested in buying a game and want to try it out. Let's say I am interested in Watch Dogs. Maybe I want to try it first though. I rent it for $3-$5 for a few hours and see if it's worth $60. Ideally, they should then make the game $3-$5 cheaper if I buy it digitally afterwards.

marcellok

A 4 hour $3 rental makes sense if you are interested in buying a game and want to try it out. Let's say I am interested in Watch Dogs. Maybe I want to try it first though. I rent it for $3-$5 for a few hours and see if it's worth $60. Ideally, they should then make the game $3-$5 cheaper if I buy it digitally afterwards.

You realize that used to be called a demo, which were free.

I guess it depends on your wants/expectations.

I prefer the Netflix model - flat monthly rate for unlimited access to any movie.

If they're using PSnow simply as a "paid preview" service, then, no thanks.

This may ultimately lead to the end of free demos too, if they can just make money off them.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Just because movies come out on DVD that does not stop people from going to theaters. The experience counts. Same here. Just because you can go out and buy a PS3 and the full game that does not mean some people won't just want to stream a game for a few hours without having to buy a console at all.

Two Words

You realize that used to be called a demo, which were free.

How many demos give you a 4 hour experience? And this isn't here to replace demos. This would give you the full game unlocked for 4 hours. If they gave you the $3-$5 off if you buy the game, it would be an especially awesome feature.

I guess it depends on your wants/expectations.

I prefer the Netflix model - flat monthly rate for unlimited access to any movie.

If they're using PSnow simply as a "paid preview" service, then, no thanks.

This may ultimately lead to the end of free demos too, if they can just make money off them.

There's no reason why they can't do both.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Totally not interested.

I want a Netflix type of pricing model where I pay a flat monthly rate for unlimited access to any game I want to play, at any time.

Paying per-title, for a limited time is not going to work. It has "fail" all over it.
Any game at any time? What would you expect them to charge per month for that? When you step back and think, it's unrealistic. But a rotating stable of games for a subscription I could see.

I look forward to your outrage when Grid stops being a free beta and they start charging to play games, too.

Hey, if Nvidia suddenly decide to announce a commercial streaming service and put up shitty prices for it I'll be right here saying that it's shitty and not worth the price of entry. It's unlikely since they're more interested in selling their streaming tech for others to use, but you can quote me on that without any hesitation.

Stop quoting him, he's shitting up the thread with talk about other services, which is really all he does on non PC threads!

PAyrToU.gif

Lots of people played SR3 (with all DLC) for free as well on PSNow during an earlier phase. Right now they're testing pricing models however.

Publishers are the ones that decide prices. When they're picking crappy prices what makes more sense. Let them push the prices during the closed beta and see the massive backlash despite it being a closed beta and hopefully have them see their error and have them fix it (hopefully), or to ignore that the prices publishers are using are crappy for launch and let them screw up the main launch of the service.

It's not a closed beta though. They already had a closed beta, this is an "open beta". If they were doing a real open beta, it would be free. This is a pricing test to see what the market will handle, and as a consumer who would use their service if it didn't suck a pile of rancid donkey cocks value-wise I'm going to keep bitching so they know the current prices are fucking pants on head moronic.

marcellok

I'm hesitating about paying 99 dollars, anything else above that and it's a no-go for me, and i'm sure as hell not renting games with those outrageous hourly fees.

So you wouldn't be willing to pay what Netflix charges for a Netflix of games? That makes no sense. I'd be willing to pay $15, even $20 a month, if the catalog of games in the subscription is good enough.

Two Words

This is another problem with renting. Right now, PS Now isn't working for me. If I rented it for 4 hours and it went down around that time, I'd be furious. If it was a subscription, I wouldn't mind trying again later.

PS DRM. This model is their future. Prices are ridiculous. If they aren't trying to get out of consumer hardware and just offer games as a service... I can't figure out what they are doing with this.

Hexa

Hey, if Nvidia suddenly decide to announce a commercial streaming service and put up shitty prices for it I'll be right here saying that it's shitty and not worth the price of entry. It's unlikely since they're more interested in selling their streaming tech for others to use, but you can quote me on that without any hesitation.

PAyrToU.gif

It's not a closed beta though. They already had a closed beta, this is an "open beta". If they were doing a real open beta, it would be free. This is a pricing test to see what the market will handle, and as a consumer who would use their service if it didn't suck a pile of rancid donkey cocks value-wise I'm going to keep bitching so they know the current prices are fucking pants on head moronic.

It's still closed beta and under NDA, though most people seem to be ignoring that. Open beta starts somewhere in July.
Also please keep bitching at publishers. That is exactly why Sony's doing this based on posts and emails that seem to be saying as such not so subtly and the fact that I don't believe there is a single Sony game up for this phase despite several of them being in previous phases.

coldone

For $5 you can own it on Steam. I won't even go into the whole PC vs Console thing.

How much is the initial investment ?. PSNow is a console rental service, it is for folks who dont want to spend $250-$1000 in initial investment.

The biggest user base for PSNow will be guys playing PS3 games directly on Bravia TV without any additional hardware.

NDA shouldn't apply anymore--gaming websites are reviewing its current state now. It's worked well (wired connection) for me playing Papo & Yo, Dead Island Riptide, and some Sniper game. I wasn't sure it would for me because my ping is usually below average.

Caayn

Stop quoting him, he's shitting up the thread with talk about other services, which is really all he does on non PC threads!
This is a thread about the prices of PS Now. People are free to compare them to other services.
How much is the initial investment ?. PSNow is a console rental service, it is for folks who dont want to spend $250-$1000 in initial investment.

The biggest user base for PSNow will be guys playing PS3 games directly on Bravia TV without any additional hardware.
How big is that userbase? I'm highly doubting if it's that big.

Those people aren't all that interested in games, why else don't they own a console? They don't own a DS3/DS4* so that will be a $60 entrance price before they've touched a game, on top of the high rental prices. Why would they all of a sudden want to play games on their TV, but demand that they don't have to purchase extra hardware?

OnLive is already in this market, play on a TV without extra hardware, with as it currently stands a much better price (and more options)**. And you never hear about the success they're having with it. Making me doubt even further how big that market really is.

* I honestly don't know which one of those is supported.
** Before I get called out again about a subscription. I'm aware of the subscription model for PS Now. But unless Sony reveals some details of it we can only speculate and I'm going to assume it's worse than what OnLive offers. I'd be gladly proven wrong though.

jwk94

Guess no one brought it up yet but prices dropped.

4hr-$3
week - $6
month- $8
3 months-$15

There's a tiny few that have the old prices but they seem to include DLC as well. There's also a handful of free games as well.

Prices haven't dropped. I compared them to the images I got from last week and they're the same.

NoPiece

I played around with the demo a bit for the last month, and was really impressed with how well it worked technically. Looked great, lag wasn't noticeable. I was pretty excited, and hoped they would come in with a rational pricing plan. Oops, guess not.

It needs to be Netflix style or it won't work. I hope poor paid performance in the second phase of the beta convinces them to try something different. It is not too late!

Also, they should get a PC client out ASAP.

Guess no one brought it up yet but prices dropped.

4hr-$3
week - $6
month- $8
3 months-$15

There's a tiny few that have the old prices but they seem to include DLC as well. There's also a handful of free games as well.
These are really good prices for the most part, but I'd feel more comfortable with the 4hr rental being $1.99. Would make impulse purchases very common just to try things out, and then I could choose to rent for longer. A week might work better for $4, but the month and three month prices are great.

Top Bottom