• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

SCB3

What exactly is the selling point of this game? I see people keep talking about it. I check the youtube videos and it's not anything I'd go crazy for.
Its hard to describe, its a real "play it to believe it" kinda game

Whats interesting here is there hasn't been a massive VR game since it launched right?

Papa_Wisdom

If my pc doesn’t have a usb c port in it how would have connect its cam you get an adapter that converts a normal usb to usb c? If you can I’m in!

If my pc doesn’t have a usb c port in it how would have connect its cam you get an adapter that converts a normal usb to usb c? If you can I’m in!
If your PC doesnt have a USB-C port its probably too old to run decently. 95% of mainboards 4 years old or younger have them.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Doesn't the PSVR2 have an OLED display?

It does, but not sure what you're getting at - comparing it to a Quest 3, the trade-off is the fresnel lens vs the pancake lens where the PSVR2 loses big time there, along with very very bad mura at times on the PSVR2 as well, which is not present on the Q3.

It does, but not sure what you're getting at - comparing it to a Quest 3, the trade-off is the fresnel lens vs the pancake lens where the PSVR2 loses big time there, along with very very bad mura at times on the PSVR2 as well, which is not present on the Q3.
I'm not "getting at" anything, I just asked a question.

Its hard to describe, its a real "play it to believe it" kinda game

Whats interesting here is there hasn't been a massive VR game since it launched right?
The only thing to come a bit close is Asgard's Wrath 2. But yes, nothing can directly compete to Alyx. It's magical like Moss 1 and 2.

Alyx and Moss are the only games I play tethered.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The only thing to come a bit close is Asgard's Wrath 2. But yes, nothing can directly compete to Alyx. It's magical like Moss 1 and 2.

I mean there's definitely a few games people have put over Alyx, from GT7, to RE4/8, to Atrobot.

Tons of reviews/impressions of the recent RE4 said it was the best VR experience they've had, better than Alyx.

Audiophile

Gold Member
They should give Dreams a PS5, PC & PSVR2 upgrade. I bet it'd fit really well on PC with VR.

Hopefully this is a sign that they're keeping their foot in the door on VR until we get to a point where a small, cheaper, wireless headset is viable for PS (+PC) platforms..

Only thing they need to do to get in my good books now is create an emulation/abstraction layer on PS & PC for PSVR(1) titles (or at a minimum get to porting over their 1P/2P stuff, while incentivising the 3P stuff).

Last edited:
I mean there's definitely a few games people have put over Alyx, from GT7, to RE4/8, to Atrobot.

Tons of reviews/impressions of the recent RE4 said it was the best VR experience they've had, better than Alyx.
If horror is your thing. But I shit my pants when a mosquito farts in a silent room, so no. Not for me. :D

Im not countig PSVR games as Im on pc. ;)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sony 3rd party confirmed

j/k good on them, it was idiotic decision to lock it just or PS5...

They should give Dreams a PS5, PC & PSVR2 upgrade. I bet it'd fit really well on PC with VR.

Hopefully this is a sign that they're keeping their foot in the door on VR until we get to a point where a small, cheaper, wireless headset is viable for PS (+PC) platforms..

Only thing they need to do to get in my good books now is create an emulation/abstraction layer on PS & PC for PSVR(1) titles (or at a minimum get to porting over their 1P/2P stuff, while incentivising the 3P stuff).

Dreams is dead.

Sony isn't giving up on VR. Their roadmap is obvious here. PSVR2 going to PC is just a stepping stone for a PC Storefront with PSVR2 games eventually.

If PSVR2 is going to PC, do you know what else is? Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon.

Sony realizes that they may be able to sell more PSVR2 units to PC users than they can even PS5 users.

If horror is your thing. But I shit my pants when a mosquito farts in a silent room, so no. Not for me. :D

Im not countig PSVR games as Im on pc. ;)

Until Dawn Remake is almost certainly going to have a VR mode if not at launch then down the road.

a simple passive USB-C -> USB-A adapter might not be enough because PSVR of course requires video output to the headset....

I have no idea how the video is transferred from the source device to the headset.

USB-A doesn't support video output directly, it would need specific drivers for that to happen

Last edited:

Killer8

They can do a small breakout box to get around the hardware issues (if there are any). They've done that before when they released the PSVR1 adapter for PS5 around launch. I'd pay a bit of money if they were to sell it as I don't imagine it would be expensive.

Sony 3rd party confirmed

j/k good on them, it was idiotic decision to lock it just or PS5...

Or, or, or... they weren't ready for it on PC yet.

• If sold at a loss or even, selling to PC gamers would not have made sense
  • Even if sold at a slight profit, you want to push as many people who want one to go to PS5
  • Upon realizing you've exhausted your ability to attract people to PS5, it's then time to open things up, it costs you little to wait
  • It also makes sense to make sure your games are ready to go on PC as well
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Resident Evil 4 Remake
    • Horizon Call of the Mountain
    • Eventually Ace Combat 8

Two is better than zero.

VR needs to grow, and multiplatform is the best way to do so.
I understand. But what I dont get is that Sony made a fantastic headset and has 2-3 killer apps for it. Thats not much.

They are doing this to boost sales. All for the better of course.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Or, or, or... they weren't ready for it on PC yet.

• If sold at a loss or even, selling to PC gamers would not have made sense
  • Even if sold at a slight profit, you want to push as many people who want one to go to PS5
  • Upon realizing you've exhausted your ability to attract people to PS5, it's then time to open things up, it costs you little to wait
  • It also makes sense to make sure your games are ready to go on PC as well
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Resident Evil 4 Remake
    • Horizon Call of the Mountain
    • Eventually Ace Combat 8
The HW was protected or firmware for that matter, so it wasn't possible for some github-er to write a driver for it. Like encryption stuff, I don't think you pay good money for this type of security while you having plan to release it on other platforms. Just my 2cents

The HW was protected or firmware for that matter, so it wasn't possible for some github-er to write a driver for it. Like encryption stuff, I don't think you pay good money for this type of security while you having plan to release it on other platforms. Just my 2cents

And yet here we are and I totally called it at the time.

mine too, actually had it listed for sale (its basically used 5 times) with a carrying case, charging station and a game and it didnt sell
I sold mine at Gamestop even though they were not trading it in. Another customer in the store bought it from me.
Kind of wish I had kept it as I never finished Resident Evil Village (damn exclusives).

But for the most part the Quest 3 is a far better VR experience.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
They can do a small breakout box to get around the hardware issues (if there are any). They've done that before when they released the PSVR1 adapter for PS5 around launch. I'd pay a bit of money if they were to sell it as I don't imagine it would be expensive.

Why would they design a breakout box like that when they can just release an app on the PS5 and PC that does the same thing and also results in every PS VR2 user with a PS5 to spend money on software as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dreams is dead.

Sony isn't giving up on VR. Their roadmap is obvious here. PSVR2 going to PC is just a stepping stone for a PC Storefront with PSVR2 games eventually.

If PSVR2 is going to PC, do you know what else is? Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon.

Sony realizes that they may be able to sell more PSVR2 units to PC users than they can even PS5 users.

Until Dawn Remake is almost certainly going to have a VR mode if not at launch then down the road.
Those games totally are. Not sure why, but Horizon seems like Sony's posterboy game for PC ports. Not GT, not GOW, not LOU. First game announced as a port was Horizon ZD. And FW is coming soon too. So it makes total sense the Horizon VR game does too.

And GT as well as that's among the best PSVR2 showcases on PS5.

No point making PSVR2 hardware PC compatible if it's just to play some PC only VR games. Add to it with first party games for extra sales.

DeaDPo0L84

The cycle of "we can make more money by putting our products on multiple platforms" continues, and that's a good thing.

Those games totally are. Not sure why, but Horizon seems like Sony's posterboy game for PC ports. Not GT, not GOW, not LOU. First game announced as a port was Horizon ZD. And FW is coming soon too. So it makes total sense the Horizon VR game does too.

And GT as well as that's among the best PSVR2 showcases on PS5.

No point making PSVR2 hardware PC compatible if it's just to play some PC only VR games. Add to it with first party games for extra sales.

Horizon is a totally original IP that sold 20 million units by itself. It and decima are why Hermen is head of PlayStation Studios.

Gran Turismo Sport wasn't as successful as Horizon Zero Dawn.
God of War wasn't far after Horizon
TLOU needed to be timed with the show and isn't as big as Horizon

Every major PSVR2 title is clearly coming to PC.

The question is do they create their storefront before or after these titles launch.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Well shit, I may very well buy this thing now!

I'm guessing this would be a superior option to the Quest 3 if PSVR2 works as expected on PC?

mrcroket

It is probably required to be used with a ps5 and work via lan streaming (similar to quest), as it would need extra hardware, since PSVR2 uses something similar to virtual link, which was discontinued since the nvidia 2000 series.

Those who say that quest 3 is at the same level or better than psvr2 have not tried psvr2. I have both headsets, and psvr2 is superior by far, OLED display, HDR, eye tracking, controller with haptic vibration...

Romulus

Guess I'll wait and see.

I'm one of those people that has psvr2 and gaming PC but I don't really understand how many VR folks with a pc would use psvr2 for this, especially at this point. Seems like those people already have a Quest or something even more advanced.

Options are always great though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horizon is a totally original IP that sold 20 million units by itself. It and decima are why Hermen is head of PlayStation Studios.

Gran Turismo Sport wasn't as successful as Horizon Zero Dawn.
God of War wasn't far after Horizon
TLOU needed to be timed with the show and isn't as big as Horizon

Every major PSVR2 title is clearly coming to PC.

The question is do they create their storefront before or after these titles launch.
Going by what core PC gamers sentiments, a new storefront will bomb as they all prefer Steam, and maybe GOG too for some cheap oldie games. I do both for my cheap budget games. I think even EA and Bethesda caved in and put their games on Steam(?). Maybe other publishers too.

But if there was another storefront for other games, even I would say forget it. Only reason I do Steam and GOG is because GOG has tons of classic old games which Steam doesn't do. The no-DRM part of GOG I dont even care about. If Steam had way more classic 90s PC games, I'd just go all Steam. Both sites have similar prices too give or take a couple bucks. Even their discounts are pretty similar.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's so damn good. There's not been a better VR experience since it's release, which is just wild to me considering it's been 4 years. Just finished up Black Mesa again yesterday, gonna start HL2: MMod today and maybe in a week or 3 I'm gonna jump back into Alyx.
What? No. Play HL2 VR mod unless the MMod is compatible. Seriously with all thr physics stuff, HL2 feels like it was designed for VR.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Feels like they might have missed the boat a little bit by delaying this, PSVR2 might have been the option for PCVR if this had happened at launch.

Last edited:

Bry0

Yes if you use Questlink to launch Steam VR, which sends it encoded. ;)

But if you launch directly into the pc through the Virtual Desktop, it's a direct feed as far as i know....
That's how I use it (mostly to fuck around with UEVR) and it's a " dumb" connection if im not mistaken.
I launch the games through the normal Steam client with the -vr switch and then it uses the same direct shell and works like a glove.

Instead of synching Steam VR to the headset, launching Steam VR etc.

Questlink encodes Steam VR. But not Virtual desktop and mirroring the pc screen I think. Could be wrong...

But even then, a small break-out box could fix this. No need for a PS5 in between.
Naw virtual desktop works the same way. I think you are confusing how VD interfaces with the api with how the video is sent to the headset. But yeah like you say even a small break out box would fix it. I think that would be the better way for Sony to do it.

Last edited:

Rudius

Because if you‘ve been following the issues that iVRy has trying to get PSVR2 on NVidia hardware you’d realise the hardware issues.
I can guarantee you’ll need a PS5.
There will be at least an adapter from Sony, if not some from other companies.

Top Bottom