• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

androvsky

Now show Nocturne!

*mad Jelly* I have to hook up a PS2 for this because Sony won't allow this on Official Firmware Slims. NICE, Sony. :/

Er-If you have the adapter it works the same. Copy via USB through the XMB.

PS3<->Adapter/Card XMB->PS2 virtual memory card (create)->O to back out of the card->X on "USB/PS2 Memory Card"->Find save you want/Triangle->Copy->PS2 virtual memory card->X/Yes->??????->PROFIT!

Are you sure? I've lost my adapter and I've been avoiding the PS2 classics I can't really check for myself.

... thing is, you keep mentioning the PS2 Virtual Memory Card. I thought PS2 Classics saved their data in a different section of the XMB. Those are exactly the instructions for copying over for use in a BC system.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Metalmurphy said:
You're missing the point entirely.

I thought they were charging for the games individually, as well as they being released quite sparsely because they were some how being re-engineered individually.

Instead they made an emulator, which means they could have just brought back BC in a firmware update, but instead they chose charge for the games.

Dick move.

/facepalm

Having an emulator that works flawlessly on one title doesn't mean to say it works equally well on every title.

Everything needs testing thoroughly on title-by-title basis in order to prevent unexpected bugs in the emulation from potentially opening up huge and costly to close security issues.

jsnepo

/facepalm

Having an emulator that works flawlessly on one title doesn't mean to say it works equally well on every title.

Everything needs testing thoroughly on title-by-title basis in order to prevent unexpected bugs in the emulation from potentially opening up huge and costly to close security issues.

Why can't I play my copy of God Hand then?

/facepalm

Previous BC on PS2 wasn't flawless either, that didn't stop them from releasing it. And security issues, from a PS2 title code, running under an emulator?... /facepalm

pants

We should pressure Sony to liberate this PS2 compatibility!

I'd even be willing to play ball and deal with them like having it psn+ only to satisfy their monetary need for this to exist, they can have it in perma beta ala google products and even if they had zero QA, relied on user submitted bugs, with a 3 man dev team I'd take it.

N.A

Banned
Can you confirm the input lag associated with this method?

Also, region locked? PAL PS3 -> PAL PS2 games only?

I'm tempted, but I'm kinda fallen in love with PS+ :/

I've only tried RPG's so far but didn't notice any lag.

It's region free.

I guess Sony wouldn't be comfortable allowing the user to insert a PS2 disc and rip an iso to their HDD. As it appears the the emulator can't access the optical drive for whatever reason, it could mean that you wouldn't need the disc to play after that initial install. As obsolete as the PS2 is, I presume they are still making enough revenue from it to consider this open invitation to game sharing.

N.A

Banned
Followed the guide and WRC Evolved (PAL) doesn't work, it hangs after the PS2 logo.

Not sure if GT4 will work seeing as it's split across two layers.

Did you get any game to work yet? I thought a couple of games weren't working but it turned out I was signing them with the wrong key.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Metalmurphy said:
Previous BC on PS2 wasn't flawless either, that didn't stop them from releasing it. And security issues, from a PS2 title code, running under an emulator?... /facepalm

BC on PS2 was hardware based, it ran on the IOP giving binary-level compatibility. It took Sony years to get compatibility for certain titles on PSP (their first full software BC), this includes big titles like Final Fantasy VIII. Which appeared to run flawlessly for hours only to crap out at various random points.

All bugs do not manifest 100% of the time. It can take an extreme amount of effort in some cases to track them down and eliminate them.

This costs time and money. Commodities which are not in infinite supply.

Yes, security is a major concern when a part of program's function involves loading external data. Many hacks work due to specific software titles being susceptible to buffer overflow manipulations from save files.

Its not like Sony haven't had to pull things like Mini's (which run under emulation) off of the store for this reason.

Eusis

Unless there are some kind of licensing issues preventing them for releasing it for free, it does indeed seem a bit greedy. I still have a modded PS2 and a gaming PC with PCSX2, but this is good news anyway.
It's especially frustrating because at that price I'd be more than willing to double dip on several games just to go without a disc, nevermind those I'd buy just because I never got the game originally, and we all know they're never getting every PS2 game on there. Plus the way they did it doesn't let me use my old saves, disinclining me further since it MUST be a clean start.

It gives further credence to the idea they'd drop physical BC for PS1 games though: why bother when they can just get the few people to rebuy games that otherwise wouldn't have? :/

EDIT: Though the fact there may be problems waiting to pop out is a good point. And who knows about titles the ZoE ones?

I guess Sony wouldn't be comfortable allowing the user to insert a PS2 disc and rip an iso to their HDD. As it appears the the emulator can't access the optical drive for whatever reason, it could mean that you wouldn't need the disc to play after that initial install. As obsolete as the PS2 is, I presume they are still making enough revenue from it to consider this open invitation to game sharing.
If you had to use the disc for verification then that would be avoided, much like on 360.

Eusis

PS2 games should run full speed on a PS4 if this is the case.
Well, there's issues on PC, so it's a matter of how well they're using the Cell for emulation I think. it does seem very plausible though that because it's THEIR emulator and they can specialize in ways a homebrewed one couldn't (not to mention they're paying teams to work on this full time) they can make something that works amazing on PS4.

btkadams

PS2 games should run full speed on a PS4 if this is the case.

it's unfortuante that they aren't going to do it regardless of that point. the ps4 won't even read CDs, so it is definitely not going to read any ps1/ps2 games (some ps2 games are on CD).

Misterhbk

Probably already been asked but how can I do this? I have an old 40gb ps3 that no longer reads disc and something like this would be perfect for it. I'd have to mod it of course.

Bittercup

it's unfortuante that they aren't going to do it regardless of that point. the ps4 won't even read CDs, so it is definitely not going to read any ps1/ps2 games (some ps2 games are on CD).
Has this ever been confirmed? As far as I know it was just a rumour and it still sounds very strange if true.

Eusis

Has this ever been confirmed? As far as I know it was just a rumour and it still sounds very strange if true.
Not being able to playback CDs was confirmed, but if we're lucky this JUST means for audio playback with proper BC there. I'm not optimistic though, especially as this news doesn't engender much confidence as they may decide alienating those with large libraries is better in favor of just reselling games to them.

Erasus

This is invalid. Sony MADE THE EMULATOR THIS WAY. An ISO is a direct copy of a disc so they could probably easily make the emulator access the BD Drive and read data off there. Its probably ELF files instead of ISO but hey data should be the same. So wired how a lot ogf games seem to be working just fine.

This also reminds me I need to install PCSX2 again. FFXII running flawlessly in 1080p!

Just use PCSX2 guys...

androvsky

Not being able to playback CDs was confirmed, but if we're lucky this JUST means for audio playback with proper BC there. I'm not optimistic though, especially as this news doesn't engender much confidence as they may decide alienating those with large libraries is better in favor of just reselling games to them.

Out of curiosity, where was it confirmed? The gaf thread just sources a Japanese journalist's (I'm assuming) twitter post of an interview with Andrew House, but I can't find the actual interview.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AranhaHunter said:
Couldn't you just use an automation software to do that faster than any human could?
Games have no standard set of flow, input/output expectation, or really much in common with one another. It'd require scripting each title individually, which IMO would greatly exceed costs of testing them by hand.
Not to mention the added difficulty of machine analysis of perceptual differences (audio, visual, performance) which I'm not convinced is even possible with what we know today (certainly not in realms of human accuracy on the topic).

Care to elaborate more on this?
RSX is at least an order of magnitude faster than GS in most things. There are GS-specific edge uses that aren't - but that's not really so much a function of bandwith as the fact GS has 100s of times shallower pipeline than any PC GPU in last 13 years.

Clear said:
BC on PS2 was hardware based it ran on the IOP giving binary-level compatibility.
Actually GPU was not binary level compatible - there was a translation layer running on EE (though it did have PS1 display mode support, which wasn't used on PS2 software at all).
Moreover - IOP was removed in Series 70000 - from which point onwards PS2 BC was basically entirely software based (the change impacted compatibility with ~10 PS2 games as well).

Of course your point point about costs associated with testing these changes stands. When PS2 removed IOP - it saved money, so retesting the library was just part of that exercise - it was not done for free.

Did you get any game to work yet? I thought a couple of games weren't working but it turned out I was signing them with the wrong key.

I may have screwed it up by checking the wrong sort of disc so I will retry.

Timesplitters works - first level completed, music skipped for 1 sec at the beginning, the framerate didn't seem like a silky smooth 60fps, but it was still perfectly playable.

Eusis

Out of curiosity, where was it confirmed? The gaf thread just sources a Japanese journalist's (I'm assuming) twitter post of an interview with Andrew House, but I can't find the actual interview.
Follow the link in the Update part. Kotaku link by the way in case that bothers you, but it's a PDF straight from the source.

Could just be they either forgot to list it and/or didn't care to make the software to play back the audio, as supporting a relatively minor feature (audio playback when you'd only want to rip these days) may not be seen as worth developing software for versus supporting PS1 games that you'd need an emulator for if you intended to sell digitally at all.

Although given that an audio player could probably really easily include CD support and ripping (and they'd want a player just to verify the MP3s you have on system for custom soundtracks, unless THAT'S not happening either), so it probably doesn't bode well period. Really disappointing given that Sony was a front runner on BC, and rather than stay good about it even when it's spotty software it may be moving to "if we can charge them do it." :/

Not everyone can run PCSX2 smoothly on their PCs, I can though. This is a worthy alternative.

If a stock 3core phenom II from 2008 can then pretty much everyone can (unless they have an atom or celeron or some other entry level shit)

Since these emulators got full gpu acceleration support they run on way lower end machines than they used to.

If your pc can play vidyagames it can probably run pcsx2. I suggest everyone give it a try at least, once you play ps2 games at 3-4x resolution there is no going back.

This also reminds me I need to install PCSX2 again. FFXII running flawlessly in 1080p!

Just use PCSX2 guys...
7d1c3910b2cdf2e27fbbaf849335cc82-ryan-seacrest-awkwardly-high-fives-blind-guy.gif

This is invalid. Sony MADE THE EMULATOR THIS WAY. An ISO is a direct copy of a disc so they could probably easily make the emulator access the BD Drive and read data off there.

Not disputing this, but I wonder WHY they made it this way. PS2 classics on the PS3 operate outside the OS (for example, the bluetooth headset cuts out entirely, xmb not available). It is possible surely that within its PS2 sandbox that it cannot see the optical drive at all?

But now I think of it, I guess the emulator as-is must load the whole ISO into memory then kick off the emulation. So why not just have the PS3 bootstrapper load the ripped ISO and do a disc verification in the process?
I guess I am arguing against myself now; -)

If a stock 3core phenom II from 2008 can then pretty much everyone can (unless they have an atom or celeron or some other entry level shit)

Since these emulators got full gpu acceleration support they run on way lower end machines than they used to.

If your pc can play vidyagames it can probably run pcsx2. I suggest everyone give it a try at least, once you play ps2 games at 3-4x resolution there is no going back.

Amen to that. I've a PS3 with PS2 BC, and I actually prefer running my old ass PS2 games on my low end laptop on PCSX2.

Forget about the stock 3 core Phenom II, If you have a machine with a Core 2 clocked at 3.0+GHz (circa 2007-2009), and a super low end card like mine (Radeon 4670), you still can pull off FF X and XII at 3x res with 60 FPS most of the time. Multiple menus slow it down to 50-ish, but it's a very minor issue as compared to the benefits of uprendering.

All I had to do the first time was:
-install emulator

-plug in my controller

-start emulator

-default plugins are perfect I didn't have to change a thing

-optional and highly recommended feature: set the graphics plugin to render at 4x native res (takes 5seconds) so the game is high res with good image quality

-click on memory cards option and select a memory card size and where I want to save it on my hdd (basically selecting your save folder, takes 10seconds and allows you to move your saves or use other people's saves)

-select the bios (which thanks to sony sueing bleem you are now no longer allowed to link on here, assholes ...)

-select the game iso

And that's it.
So basically install emulator, select memory card, select bios, select the game you want to play and set graphics options if you want to and go.
Every consecutive time all I need to do is start the emulator and click fast boot and I'm in the game.
Once ingame it acts exactly like a ps2... you save from the ingame menu screen and it shows your memory card like normal.
When you are done playing you save your game in the game menu and close the emulator.

You no longer have to choose game fixes, you don't have to select different plugins or change plugin settings, the default settings work flawlessly these days.
They recently updated PCSX2 to version 1.0, it is now the final finished version.

Okay, that's what I needed to hear. I could never get my dual shock to work with the thing though. Even via USB. Have things changed?

I'm note even sure "obtuse" would be the word for it.

First, you download the program.
You install it.
You run the program.
You configure your video settings and your controller settings.
Finally, you direct the program to find your PS2 bios.
This part takes, literally, a few minutes. There's a step by step video/ instruction page should you need it.

If you want to play a game with proper widescreen scaling, you download the widescreen patches (there's a DL on the forums with a pack that has all currents games), move it to the cheats folder, and enable cheats. Unless you're going to play an obscure title, you should be fine with the complete pack.

Rip the game to your hard drive, Find your ISO, select "enable cheats," and run it.

The only difference between it and other emulators is that various components (controller settings, video settings, etc.) are plugins (like epsxe), but those add ons come with the program. Well, that, and you also need to acquire a BIOS (which you have to do yourself by having a PS2). Once you do the initial config, you're done and it runs just like any other emulator does.

Back when I messed with it you had to do graphics fixes for almost everything. It was a huge pain in the ass. If that's changed then I'll give it a go.

GT4 and Prologue:

- screen jumps at car selection screen
- 1 or 2 minor (random) stutters on certain tracks during gameplay
- random slowdown during replays when the car is close to the camera.

Perfectly playable.

Oemenia

Banned
Been waiting a long time for this and even then wasnt expecting much. How is the compatibility so far?

EDIT: Guess that settles it, the PS3 will be my XBOX of next-gen.

Grief.exe

Who still cares for ps2 games

Are you serious?

That was my old CPU! I unlocked it to quad and it ran great.

I built the whole machine for $600 and it ran Crysis with ease.

Sold it for $500 in 2010 on Craigslist and used that money to build my current machine.

Haven't tried the ps2 emulator on the slim ps3's, do they run/look better than they did on the backwards compatible fat ones?

Or do they look/run the same?

I've been thinking about getting a new PS3 to fuck with...this might just be enough reason. My OG PS3 plays it all and I figure once I swap the HDD on it I'm a happy camper for a few more years, but this....

This is nice.

Top Bottom