• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

Kssio_Aug

Might be good if the numbers changed when SHIFTing just like a regular keyboard.

!@£$%^&*()

I think the windowed streaming view has a more vertically compact chat log now too in addition to fullscreen split having sidebar chat with darker background

HD Streaming [and niconico for Japan]

USB SHARE is for screenshots and video clips

Those are really good stuff.

But one of the biggest PS XMB problem is its organization options. At PS3 it was horrible to organize your games and find them later, in PS4 it is as bad or worse (besides the more clean and better looking of the new xmb).

I mean, they really should let you create folders AND organize your titles freely. When you have tons of stuff its not nice to scroll the screen looking for your game or apps (everything is mixed too) without any kind of organization.

Also the ability to pause downloads is a basic function that needs to be implemented aswell.

I don't care about any of this stuff, superfluous cack IMO, waste of time and effort.

How about just making it function like the old XMB? I want to be able to do really complex stuff like, um, play mp3's and put stuff in folders.

I know it's a lot to ask...
Its not a waste of time or effort if there is a demand for it. There will be more features in the future.

Fnord

Did you do anything special (or turn any settings on/off) to get the PS4 to turn your receiver on? My receiver (some 3/4 year old Onkyo AV receiver) turns on with my Xbox One but not my PS4. I have HDMI control turned on on the PS4 but it doesn't turn on my receiver or my TV.

Didn't do anything special. It's a Sony STR-DN1010. I've got it connected via HDMI with HDMI control turned on on the receiver and PS4. It all just works.

boeso

is Sony still playing dumb about the craziness that happens in playroom?

2 weekends ago (the day I got my PS4) I was watching a stream with 2 guys and 2 girls snorting drugs (they didn't look wealthy enough to be taking cocaine) and waving dildo's in their boyfriends faces.

Took Sony around 10 minutes to block it after the drugs.

GD71

Banned
Did you do anything special (or turn any settings on/off) to get the PS4 to turn your receiver on? My receiver (some 3/4 year old Onkyo AV receiver) turns on with my Xbox One but not my PS4. I have HDMI control turned on on the PS4 but it doesn't turn on my receiver or my TV.

Turn off HDMI Control on both the amp and TV (and pass thru off on amp if it has it). This seems to cause havok with PS4. Mine ignored my amp and took the TV as the audio source and sent it stereo instead of surround. HDMI control would also frequently flip to the wrong input, etc.

With all that crap off I get a reliable handshake between PS4 and TV through Amp. Also worth turning off 24p support in PS4 too to avoid lip sync issues with blurays.

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

Currently i have my ps3 hooked up to my tv, and my ps4 hooked up to my monitor, but i would like to hook up both my ps3 and ps4 to my monitor via a receiver i purchased, (2 input, 1 output) so whenever i am done watching netflix on my ps3 on tv, i just have to switch the hdmi cable on the back of my ps3, rather than fiddle around the underside of my monitor.

The issue i am having is that, with the ps4 attached via the receiver, after about 15 minutes to half an hour it starts flickering, very badly. Sony have said the ps4 does not work with receivers after i phoned up support.

Ps3 never has this issue btw, never flickers at all using the receiver.

This is some bullshit. Of course the PS4 works with receivers (or at least it should). Try a different HDMI cable (even though it's working on PS3, these are fickle things). I have mine hooked up to my receiver with absolutely no issue.

Funny thing is my launch phat PS3 doesn't work with my new (a couple of years old now) receiver so I have to hook the HDMI directly to the TV and go with optical sound to the receiver. It did work with my previous receiver though, so it's very weird. Like I said these are fickle things.

Xav

I think I'm like the only person not excited about this update. The main thing I want is "folders" because my home screen is a mess. Same goes for you Nintendo.

th4tguy

At one point I read someone saying name changes would be possible in 1.7. Did this ever get bunked or confirmed?

skybald

On the other hand, this update will have my most sought after features.

Sorry for people who aren't getting what they want.

I think I'm like the only person not excited about this update. The main thing I want is "folders" because my home screen is a mess. Same goes for you Nintendo.
One day some console will finally launch with folder capabilities. I don't get why they all always bend to patch it in later

Harp

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

Currently i have my ps3 hooked up to my tv, and my ps4 hooked up to my monitor, but i would like to hook up both my ps3 and ps4 to my monitor via a receiver i purchased, (2 input, 1 output) so whenever i am done watching netflix on my ps3 on tv, i just have to switch the hdmi cable on the back of my ps3, rather than fiddle around the underside of my monitor.

The issue i am having is that, with the ps4 attached via the receiver, after about 15 minutes to half an hour it starts flickering, very badly. Sony have said the ps4 does not work with receivers after i phoned up support.

I have a Yamaha receiver with 6 hdmi inputs and all my systems are hooked up. the hdmi control works perfect. When I turn on my ps4 it turns on my receiver, switches to the correct input on the the receiver, turns on my TV and once again changes to the correct input. If you have a 2/1 receiver it must be over 4 years old. It maybe time for an upgrade.

ukas

2 weekends ago (the day I got my PS4) I was watching a stream with 2 guys and 2 girls snorting drugs (they didn't look wealthy enough to be taking cocaine) and waving dildo's in their boyfriends faces.

Took Sony around 10 minutes to block it after the drugs.

It's not up to Sony to block it. It would be whoever they were streaming it with.

Eirulan

Still waiting for some basic features:
- pausing/resuming downloads
- deleting DLC
- Custom Themes / Wallpaper
- sorting trophies
- etc.

I have a Yamaha receiver with 6 hdmi inputs and all my systems are hooked up. the hdmi control works perfect. When I turn on my ps4 it turns on my receiver, switches to the correct input on the the receiver, turns on my TV and once again changes to the correct input. If you have a 2/1 receiver it must be over 4 years old. It maybe time for an upgrade.
I dislike using HDMI control, since I have very different TV settings depending on whether I'm playing games or watching movies. Logitech Harmony Remote for the win. :)

The question is... what kind of quality can we expect from exported USB screenshots and vids? The vids already look mad compressed when you view them from the share folder.

Also where is my Youtube Upload/Stream option? :(

92bc0ad2_2603425-6466105298-13882.gif

Jeevez

If I had to put money on it, I'd guess you have an Onkyo receiver? I have a 606 and I started running into issues with my PS3 flickering after owning the receiver a few years. It's a really common problem with the HDMI boards on them overheating, just Google it. Many people have these problems and there is a self fix though it requires soldering so it may or may not be an option for you. For whatever reason, the issue only seems to persist when my devices are set to 1080p, and not all HDMI ports on my receiver are affected. I have one out of four ports left that works at 1080p without issue (used by my PS4) and my other devices (satellite box - 1080i max and PS3 - manually set to 1080i) don't have issues as long as they aren't set to 1080p. Very annoying and only pushes me to want to upgrade my receiver sooner.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I would check you cables, check your HDMI port you are plugged into... and if possible, see if someone else has a PS4 you can try.

oh and also see if there's a firmware update for your receiver.

I've been using my PS4 through my Denon to my Sony TV since launch with zero issues. When you said your XBONE turns on your receiver I'm assuming you mean over HDMI (CEC) which means your receiver should be recent enough to work perfectly for PS4. Ya, you shouldn't be having the flickering issue. If you can watch blu-rays through your PS3 (HDCP) your receiver can handle HDCP just fine. There seems to be something defective somewhere in there. Hopefully it's not your PS4.

Notification when a friend signs on? Please and thank you...

an option for it? sure why not. But hell no. It was the worst part of PS3 and 360 IMHO. I honestly couldn't care less if they log on unless it happens to be in a game I'm already in in which case more than likely I'll get an invite already. I don't need the redundancy of "your friend logged in. your friend sent you an invite." and if they don't send me an invite or aren't even in that game... umm.. I probably don't really care that they logged in then.

Okay, I'm dumb. I hear a lot of talk about HDCP...but, what IS it?

Could someone explain it to me?

High Definition Content Protection

It's like DRM for Blu-Rays and HD media, prevents it from being streamed to an non HDCP certified device (like a capture card). It's meant to prevent Blu-Ray privacy by eliminating easy ripping.

Top Bottom