• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Difference in headset audio quality for plugged into controller vs PS4 USB out?

Big difference, I'd rather use the shitty Gold headset with wireless.

My ideal setup is M50x connected to USB via Fiio DAC and coil cable. I'd rather take the clumsiness of having a long coiled cable hanging between me and PS4 than endure the audio from DS4 jack.

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm using wireless gold on PS4 and the same wired on my Xbox one l like it on both. Maybe I'm not too exigeant with sound

RedStep

Yeah, I don't know what people are talking about. Its using Bluetooth, I've been using 3.5mm headphones forever on PS4 and it works great. I know my audio and I can tell there's no diminishing degradation of audio quality, whether it's game or music. Some placebo effect going on here, fam.

I recommend everyone to use it. The only degradation you will get is if theres a lot of signal interference in your house (if you have loads of gadgets), and even that is a rare hiccup for a few intervals (Of course, this is issue with Bluetooth, and you will face it regardless).

Yeah, that's not true at all. The DS4 (and the XBO controllers) may get a decent signal, but they don't have a powerful amp built in for headphones. They work just fine in a pinch, but I too played with a DSS2, the Polk 4Shot amp, and an Astro TR mixamp in comparison. The difference between those and the headphone jack on the controller is truly night and day. I wouldn't have gone on to spend more money plussing up the system if it was a placebo effect.

23qwerty

Is this similar to onboard motherboard audio vs dedicated sound cards, where the supposedly inferior motherboard route is passable to a lot of people?

I'm glad I lack the ears to appreciate the difference
a motherboard is a bit different from a video game controller trying to play music over Bluetooth

Yeah, that's not true at all. The DS4 (and the XBO controllers) may get a decent signal, but they don't have a powerful amp built in for headphones. They work just fine in a pinch, but I too played with a DSS2, the Polk 4Shot amp, and an Astro TR mixamp in comparison. The difference between those and the headphone jack on the controller is truly night and day. I wouldn't have gone on to spend more money plussing up the system if it was a placebo effect.

The difference is akin to .wav vs 320kbps .mp3 IMO.

Bluetooth sound is always worse. It's heavily compressed so the dynamic of the sounds get a hit, but not all people hear the difference.

People complained about the new iPhone audio because it only supports bluetooth and the expensive adapter for a standard headphone has worse quality than the normal jack in older iPhoned.

Insomnium

I haven't been keeping up with the newest PC build around but that has been always my experience with PC audio ... noisy component and garbage usb interface. Granted USB DAC implementation has improved greatly recently but I prefer listening to music with Vinyl/CD Player, DAP and my dedicated Pi2 as source ...

Toparaman

Banned
I have ATH-M50s that I've used with a headphone amp (the DSS) connected to the PS4 optical out, and directly plugged into the controller. I honestly can't tell the difference apart from there being a slight buzz from the headphone amp.

Though I should note that despite their stellar reputation for sound quality, the M50s don't require much power. So maybe that's the reason there's no discernible difference.

spons

Gold Member
I was wondering if there is a difference in audio quality/mic quality when comparing the below:

Headset plugged directly into PS4 controller (auxiliary)
vs
Headset plugged into the PS4 USB port

I have a PS4 slim so optical out isn't an option

thanks in advance!

You can get optical out on the PS4 Slim through something like the Ligawo. It has HDMI input (from your console) to it, then optical output (to some audio setup) and HDMI output (to your TV).

71FW8XEg7yL._SL1500_.jpg

71KLImRlISL._SL1500_.jpg

Obviously there the problem of having yet another box/device, but oh well.

thelastword

Banned
The sound coming from the audio jack on the controller is great, perhaps my favourite feature this gen. I don't even use the earbuds that comes with the system, I use my headset on it and it's perfect for me.

vin-buc

I have the PSVita earbuds and the Iphone Ear Pods (whatever the newer ones are called). Plugged into the controller - the Iphone set is substantially superior to the PSVita set which is baffling (and i've jammed them in my ear to see if it was a fit issue).

I honestly wish that the Apple Ear Pods worked with the chat (and had a mute button). It's all i would use to be honest. Light/comfortable and sound good/crisp (good enough for me at least).

cftrooper

Sorry to bump this thread almost six months later but I had a question and didn't want to start a new thread just for it. Does anyone know if the sound quality that I would get on my M50x headphones from the 3.5 jack on my monitor (which is connected to my PS4 through HDMI) is similar to the sound quality I'd get by using the PS4's USB out? Or is USB still the way to go?

It likely depends on what USB DAC you are using (plus the DAC in the monitor). It ought to be comparable at any rate. Bear in mind that the monitor probably has its own volume control, which at least be checked.

ITT it's obvious who has compared controller output vs any other output

Controller output sound quality is ass. I have HDMI-->a/v receiver-->headphones

Muzicfreq

Banned
Audio Jack's from USB are better,
No audio drops
Better quality
Far lower latency than even TV output
So much is improved via USB audio.

Max_Po

Banned
The quality is perfectly acceptable. I bet most of the responses are utter shit from people who have never used the port...like the countless people who come in to shit in the dual shock 4 contoller quality thread. One time I posted 9 DS4 contoller pics from personal collection w/ normal usage to shut up the fucking thread shitters. ... all ran with their tails between their butt cheeks

cftrooper

Far lower latency than even TV output
Guess that counts for monitors too, huh?

It likely depends on what USB DAC you are using (plus the DAC in the monitor). It ought to be comparable at any rate. Bear in mind that the monitor probably has its own volume control, which at least be checked.
I just know it's an ASUS monitor from about 4(or maybe 5?) years ago. And it does have it's own volume control, even if it's a bit less convenient than using the controller for that.

Guess that counts for monitors too, huh?

I just know it's an ASUS monitor from about 4(or maybe 5?) years ago. And it does have it's own volume control, even if it's a bit less convenient than using the controller for that.

You should be all set then, the m50x are not power hungry at all. The only thing I would be concerned with is potential noise from a bad connection or loose ground. But if you don't hear anything that after using it for a few sessions, then great, nothing more is required.

komaruR

What kind of adapter would you need to hook up a standard 3.5mm headphone jack to the USB anyway?

i use this but only for the alternate mic option. basically i connect my blue yeti to that usb adapter and set the audio out to tv instead. works great if you want to use your own mic. not sure about the sound quality since i never used it.

THEAP99

Banned
Has there been any updated research on this? I have the hyper x cloud alpha's and was just testing earlier the sound difference between the hyper x cloud II soundcard, vs when plugged into DualShock 4 and I can't seem to see a difference.

the only difference actually is i hear a faint hiss when using the soundcard that sort of bugs me??

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Has there been any updated research on this? I have the hyper x cloud alpha's and was just testing earlier the sound difference between the hyper x cloud II soundcard, vs when plugged into DualShock 4 and I can't seem to see a difference.

the only difference actually is i hear a faint hiss when using the soundcard that sort of bugs me??

i think...
if you use ps4 controller, you are passing audio in bluetooth form to the controller, controller has a dac/amp that translate the bt audio into your headphones via 3.5mm cable. So your headphones are only playing what they receive.
if you use ps4 front usb, audio is transfer in raw digital form into your headphones which then uses its dac/amp to give you the sound.

so if your headphone dac/amp quality is only as good as ps4 controller dac/amp, then you are unlikely hear a quality difference 🤷‍♀️

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Audio quality through controller is greatly diminished, definitely use another method if possible
Is it? It's maybe a bit quiet but I never found an issue with it. Not even delay.
And usb dac required popped after every sound and had to be set very loud (fiio e10k).
That said, controller headphones are super convenient but I still want to get wireless headset.
Do these get louder? Do These hiss? Since PS4 controller audio does not hiss

Edit: lol it's an old ass post

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
if your headphone dac/amp quality is only as good as ps4 controller dac/amp
wonder how i can figure this out.

i don't even utilize the 7.1 functions as i don't like 7.1 the only reason i use the soundcard is people say it's better sounding than if using controller...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
In theory, direct from usb into your audio setup should give higher quality audio than through the controller.
I think if you have checked all settings are correct, and you dont hear a difference, than thats that.

Unless you want to dismantle both and see what dac/amp are used, or do crazy signal thd testing.
Dont think is worth the effort. 🤷‍♀️

THEAP99

Banned
In theory, direct from usb into your audio setup should give higher quality audio than through the controller.
I think if you have checked all settings are correct, and you dont hear a difference, than thats that.

Unless you want to dismantle both and see what dac/amp are used, or do crazy signal thd testing.
Dont think is worth the effort. 🤷‍♀️
It's just this hissing sound drives me mad when using the USB soundcard. ON PC it even makes that noise, and unfortunately, my monitor has weak sound so i can't plug my headset into that either lol.

dotnotbot

To everyone who thinks DS4 audio is completely fine - start Bloodborne, and wait till lady singing in the main menu will hit higher notes. Once music becomes loud there's pretty evident crackling in the background. Also, overall sound is a bit muffled. It's not bad for a controller output, but even cheapest usb dacs should be better.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Just to clarify, for those saying the sound quality is poor through the DS4, can you elaborate?
EG: relatively low volume, weak bass, flat (compressed) highs, poor separation, distortion....

I've only used this method and i find it satisfactory. I think I had to adjust the volume in the PS system settings and raise it. Otherwise its ok to me.

longdi

Banned
It's just this hissing sound drives me mad when using the USB soundcard. ON PC it even makes that noise, and unfortunately, my monitor has weak sound so i can't plug my headset into that either lol.

could be loose/damaged cables, or grounding issues at your mains.

try plugging into your mobile phone?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ps4 is weird about usb sound cards. My e10k procudes pop/cracks after sound (when there is sound and then quiet). I have better results connecting to ps4 controller or even connecting speakers to controller....

Traxtech

With my wired sennheisers(hd58x and game one) you can really tell the difference, lots of crackle and distortion on highs as well as muddy sounding bass when compared to a dac and or amp.

In saying that, wireless gaming headphones have come a long way so if you want to have that ease of use associated with that setup i'd just get a good wireless pair if the controller audio bothers you, my go to is the hyper x cloud flight with upgraded pads(brainwavz) and the arctis pro wireless(also with brainwavz pads, as it makes a massive difference in comfort and sound) so I can use discord from my phone and game on my ps4 at the same time.

Tldr - If you haven't heard quality audio before you will be fine using the dualshock because you haven't been spoilt by a good sound setup yet. If you're unhappy with the dualshock sound invest in a good wireless set to keep that ease of use or grab a dac/amp for some wired headphones. Happy gaming!

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Wow okay. I just did some really amateur testing.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize this, but I believe that the white noise I am hearing is ONLY when doing system OS functions in the PlayStation menus. Specifically, sending messages or browsing through games. It's the key tone that seems to be causing this.

But it doesn't happen in games. In modern warfare I turned down the music volume all the way and did some messing around with settings the white hiss noise is non-existent.

From my findings

• Using a wireless PlayStation Platinum headset- white noise is noticeable in PlayStation menus and key tone, but not in-game
  • Using a USB soundcard with Hyper X Clouds 2 or Hyper X Alpha's: White noise in once again, in the PlayStation menus and keystones, but not in-game
  • Weirdly enough though, using a wired connection into the DualShock 4 controller- The white noise is almost non-existent within the menus and key tones, but it still noticeable if u listen close enough. But once again, in-game it simply doesn't happen
  • Using my monitor speakers- I don't know if I am hearing things, but I am once again just barely hearing it within the system os menus and key tones, but once again not in-game.

Conclusion: Maybe I am insane, but I am glad i figured this out and that the white noise i am hearing is non-existent in games, which is the most important part of the headset. I am going to disable key tones. It is still weird to me that using the weakest connection with the DualShock 4 for audio, it's the least noticeable, perhaps because you're getting the least amount of sound with the DS4. i believe maybe that they messed up the system sounds and key tones when making the ps4, but maybe not and it was deliberate.

Anyways, hopefully the tempest engine will allow for all of this to be more consistent for audio when doing system functions :D
I am sure most don't notice it at all but I do

dotnotbot

Wow okay. I just did some really amateur testing.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize this, but I believe that the white noise I am hearing is ONLY when doing system OS functions in the PlayStation menus. Specifically, sending messages or browsing through games. It's the key tone that seems to be causing this.

But it doesn't happen in games. In modern warfare I turned down the music volume all the way and did some messing around with settings the white hiss noise is non-existent.

From my findings

• Using a wireless PlayStation Platinum headset- white noise is noticeable in PlayStation menus and key tone, but not in-game
  • Using a USB soundcard with Hyper X Clouds 2 or Hyper X Alpha's: White noise in once again, in the PlayStation menus and keystones, but not in-game
  • Weirdly enough though, using a wired connection into the DualShock 4 controller- The white noise is almost non-existent within the menus and key tones, but it still noticeable if u listen close enough. But once again, in-game it simply doesn't happen
  • Using my monitor speakers- I don't know if I am hearing things, but I am once again just barely hearing it within the system os menus and key tones, but once again not in-game.

Conclusion: Maybe I am insane, but I am glad i figured this out and that the white noise i am hearing is non-existent in games, which is the most important part of the headset. I am going to disable key tones. It is still weird to me that using the weakest connection with the DualShock 4 for audio, it's the least noticeable, perhaps because you're getting the least amount of sound with the DS4. i believe maybe that they messed up the system sounds and key tones when making the ps4, but maybe not and it was deliberate.

Anyways, hopefully the tempest engine will allow for all of this to be more consistent for audio when doing system functions :D
I am sure most don't notice it at all but I do

Yup, this is normal, PS4 menu sounds have high backround noise. It doesn't matter what audio equipment you use or how you connect it, it's just the sounds themselves are poor quality.

Last edited:
I use Apple Ear Pods plugged into my controller and I'm mostly pretty happy with those.

I'd prefer to use the big Headphones that cup over the ears but my ears always get uncomfortable and hot... I hope the PS5 audio will work well enough this way.

Top Bottom