• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 DRM: putting an end to the confusion [No 3rd party restriction/No online checks]

Eric C

This thread isn't helping either.

Yoshida said there won't be ANY online passes. Not first-, not third-party.
I'll believe him over anyone else at Sony.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413102/interviews/the-ps4-interview-shuhei-yoshida/
In terms of just getting access of multiplayer online, it's now taken care of at a platform level by PS Plus. So our first party titles had the online pass on PS3 and Vita. That we are not doing on PS4 because of that platform level. It's the same for third parties; when it comes to just giving you access to online multiplayer, it's PS Plus going forward.

What will still be possible though, are DLC codes, season passes and MMO subscriptions.
But basic online multiplayer will not require a code.

Good, 3rd parties should just give up on the idea of online passes.

theytookourjobz

I feel like I'm reading something different every day. I don't necessarily think this is bad journalism but I blame Sony and MS for having different people answering the same questions with different answers. Get on the same damn page.

hal9001

Banned
Finally. You would not believe some of the bs some websites are spouting about this. I really wonder if there might be an agenda going on to some of those articles.

Ponn

Banned
Manufactured confusion.

That astroturfing...you knew it was coming, trying to grasp at anything to turn into a negative. First it was the matching XBLG in multiplayer paywall despite actually giving something in return in the form of PS Plus. That's failing so now we are moving onto straight up FUD.

And yet people somehow don't get this / want to spread BS.

You can guarantee that the most fanboyish of "journalistic" outlets and people will be pushing this confusion well into the first years of Ps4's life, even though there will be plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Fanboys do not argue in rational terms-only in the terms that suit their agenda.

Same as the PS3. Probably even better than today, since no first party online passes and EA would be retarded to bring them back now. They are already backpedaling like crazy. Activision won't use them either.

The only downside is PS+ paywall, but I gladly pay for that service.

This seems pretty straightforward. I'm really glad online passes are going the way of the dodo. I'd much rather pay for PS+ (since I already pay for it already) than have to deal with online passes.

I'm glad they kept the status quo, but I wish they'd done something with digital games. In 2013 I'm over changing discs and clearly the direction of the market is to go more and more in a digital download direction. 60% of Vita game sales are digital. So for 60% of games you have no rights.

I know all the flack the Xbone gets, but I actually prefer some of their ideas, since a physical copy as all the advantages of digital (except immediate purchase), but retains some of the advantages of physical discs. Best of both worlds would be to be able to choose to install a disc and be subjected to DRM until you decide to unistall to sell or something along those lines.

I hope something like that could be implemented down the line.

Top Bottom