• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Has 20 GCN Cores (2 redundant) according to Chipworks Teardown Analysis

DieH@rd

Banned
I knew this would happen from the moment Tretton mentioned PS4 has phenomenal yields. You cant have great yields without redundant transistors, and few additional CUs are perfect contenders because CU's take A LOT of chip surface area. The larger surface where you have redundancy = better chance you can salvage chip that has production errors.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I thought we knew this already? Cool images nonetheless.

When are we going to know about the CPU clock?

Xcrypto

Banned
That's rather brilliant actually. Used to work in semiconductor manufacturing. That explains why they have so many consoles at launch.

Cores end up dead due to a variety of issues in the photolithography process including misalignement, over/under etching, over doping, and test hardware issues. By giving a 10% window they dramatically increase their process capability (cpK)

Nice information.I take that course now and I must say that I am impressed by the size and scale of such manufacturing.

Deactivating 10% of its cores. How does that compare to other GPUs in the market?

In pc land they sell the ones with defective cores as lower end parts
make hd 7870s with 20 gcns, all the ones with a flaws somewhere on the die have 4 cores disabled and are sold as hd7850

It's a modular design, lots of identical cores that work in parallel and if one or more don't function they can be shut off and the gpu still works

since there is only one sku of the ps4 (no different models with different performance) they chose to go with 18 out of 20 so they have 2 as redundancy in case one or more come out broken. That way they don't have to throw as many chips away.

A good percentage of the ps4 chips will actually have all 20 cores be fine, but they'll be disabled all the same of course.

My cpu is a 4 core phenom II with one of the cores disabled, It cost me only half of what the quad core version costs (despite being an identical chip in every way) since it's a 'runt' that is sold as lower end part.
A lot of people managed to reenable the 4th core on these cpus through a special bios with certain motherboards as amd had to sell a lot of fully functioning quad cores as 3 cores to meet demand.

Randdalf

Heh, that's a good question. Is there any way of figuring this out?

It's impossible to quantify the performance of a computer as a single figure. Each machine might have radically different pipeline units, structure, special features like vector units, different methods of branch prediction, more cache levels, etc. Different sets of instructions (programs) will execute differently on different machines and some may run better than others.

Locuza

I'm really surprised with the size of the APU die of 20x20mm (400mm^2 right?)

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/a-look-at-sonys-playstation-4-core-processor/

Now we’ve got it off the board, we have the die size more accurately measured as 19.0 x 18.3 mm (348 sq mm). That’s a pretty huge die, especially compared with the total chip area of 228 sq mm for the CPU and GPU devices in the last PS3 that we looked at. And we’ve also gone from 40/45-nm processes to TSMC’s 28-nm process, so there is a lot more functionality here.

Madao

North American abbreviation for GameCube Nintendo. It was abbreviated to NGC in Japan.

No idea why.

the reason is that National Geographic Channel owned the "NGC" abbreviation at the time the GC came out and Nintendo had to change it to avoid copyrights. kinda like the WWF->WWE change that happened long ago.

I wonder if at least one of these will be able to be activated in the future after process shrinks via firmware. This isn't like the Cell where they could hardly produce a perfect version.

I'll be sure to open up my ps4 to make certain I have the 18 cores, any lesser and it goes back to the shop. I don't trust Foxconn anymore.

Zabant

This whole built in redundancy is a new concept to me, very interesting read.

Is there any real reason they couldn't keep all cores activated if all 20 are working? i mean, as long as it meets the 18 spec minimum everything should be kosher right?

satam55

Banned
The WiFi Module

The WiFi Module featuring a metal lid and Marvell package markings contains an interesting component. The WiFi engine behind the PS4 is a Marvell Avastar 88W8797. The Avastar features multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/gn/ + Bluetooth 4.0 with Low Energy Support (BLE) plus FM radio and an embedded PMIC block. Interestingly, this Avatar was designed for mobile applications like smart phones and tablets, but to date Chipworks has only ever observed this Marvell device inside one other product, The Microsoft Surface Tablet back in October of 2012. Do you think Sony got a deal on this? The WiFi module also contains two Skyworks/SiGe WiFi front end modules. The Avastar die measures 5.6 x 6.9 mm and was fabricated at TSMC and appears to be fabricated on a 65 nm mixed signal process technology.

I just want to point out that someone should create a separate thread for this: The PS4 has Bluetooth 4.0 AND is backwards compatible with Bluetooth 3.0 + HS., despite the fact that Sony ONLY lists Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR in the tech specs for the PS4.

This whole built in redundancy is a new concept to me, very interesting read.

Is there any real reason they couldn't keep all cores activated if all 20 are working? i mean, as long as it meets the 18 spec minimum everything should be kosher right?

And who would buy PS4 with 18 if you could get 20 ?

I just want to point out that someone should create a separate thread for this: The PS4 has Bluetooth 4.0 AND is backwards compatible with Bluetooth 3.0 + HS., despite the fact that Sony ONLY lists Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR in the tech specs for the PS4.

I'm not familiar enough with how Bluetooth radios to say so difinitively, but if they are using the BT 4.0 hardware in 2.1 mode to get the bandwidth they need for the controllers+audio they can't very well advertize support for 4.0 if they can never enable it.

Zabant

And who would buy PS4 with 18 if you could get 20 ?

You obviously don't surface that info to the people buying it, I mean shit this is the first i've even heard of it, they wouldn't know.

It would be a cool little bonus for some, and for those without, they know the games are guaranteed to run just as well anyway.

satam55

Banned
I'm not familiar enough with how Bluetooth radios to say so difinitively, but if they are using the BT 4.0 hardware in 2.1 mode to get the bandwidth they need for the controllers+audio they can't very well advertize support for 4.0 if they can never enable it.

Android smartphones have been using & listing Bluetooth 4.0 as a tech spec feature since late 2011, despite the fact that Android didn't support Bluetooth 4.0 until Android 4.3 Jellybean, which just came out in July. Also, the WiiU lists Bluetooth 4.0 as a tech spec feature & I doubt it's taking advantage of the new Bluetooth features.

So it shouldn't matter whether the PS4's OS supports Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy right now or not. They should go ahead & list Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR in the tech spec sheet.

malfcn

Does it matter which are deactivated?
How do they test, id and deactivate a core?

And if it doesn't matter, is it because any hiccup would be nearly non-existent?
See someone else asked..reading above for a possible answer.

onQ123

The Gamecube is around 10.5Gflops. The PS4 is around 1.84Teraflops.

This means the PS4 is around 175 Gamecubes. Of course floating point operations are not totally the proper way of measuring the power, but it is probably the most accurate, especially when comparing much older hardware with newer one.

Kinda crazy to think that we was happy with the Gamecube graphics at one point on our SDTVs now we have ~ 200X more power & we are looking at games & complaining about it's shortcomings.

Zabant

Kinda crazy to think that we was happy with the Gamecube graphics at one point on our SDTVs now we have ~ 200X more power & we are looking at games & complaining about it's shortcomings.

There's precedent, it's been 12 years since the launch of the gamecube. 12 years prior to that (1989) the NES was the most powerful nintendo console on the market.

This jump has been far less impressive.

tipoo

Banned
Wait, it's 20x more powerful than a Gamecube?

But seriously, what does this mean?

Graphics Core Next. The Radeon 7000 series architectures shader cores. The title is wrong though, it has 20 Compute Units, many more shader cores (1152 )

Top Bottom