• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Is the Seagate 1TB SSHD still the best 1TB drive on the market speed/heat wise for the PS4?

I want more space and speed, but I don't want to introduce any more heat than the stock drive.

Speed and heatwise the HGST would be about as good and avoid the higher failure rates of Seagate drives. The hybrid drive's nand doesn't make much of a difference in the long run, particularly if you're running different games frequently. a 1TB 7200RPM HGST should be just right. Seagate makes a 2TB external that can be taken apart and put into a PS4, but, again, it's a Seagate. I've seriously considered giving them a second chance but I'm not certain I want to take that risk.

do ssd's still rot ?

i have no interest in a tech that does not last long..

They will always rot, it's a nature of the medium. The rot you're thinking of, most likely, is incredibly small these days. Given the not-always-on nature of the systems and how much less frequently they write to a SSD compared to a PC it's definitely a non-issue.

hesido

Speed and heatwise the HGST would be about as good and avoid the higher failure rates of Seagate drives. The hybrid drive's nand doesn't make much of a difference in the long run, particularly if you're running different games frequently. a 1TB 7200RPM HGST should be just right. Seagate makes a 2TB external that can be taken apart and put into a PS4, but, again, it's a Seagate. I've seriously considered giving them a second chance but I'm not certain I want to take that risk.

They will always rot, it's a nature of the medium. The rot you're thinking of, most likely, is incredibly small these days. Given the not-always-on nature of the systems and how much less frequently they write to a SSD compared to a PC it's definitely a non-issue.

I read your message and ordered 1TB 7200RPM HGST, should be in my hands in two weeks (overseas snail delivery)

Any particular benchmarks do you guys suggest I do, prior to upgrading the harddisk?

I'm a ps plus member, got all those plus games + The order, BF4, plants vs zombies, knack, the last of us.. Some more I forgot. Don't have time to test them all so let me know if you want any specific benchmark.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So GAF I'm having a bit trouble figuring.out how to get my old laptop HDD to work on my PS4.

This is the HDD, AFAIC everything checks out to work on the PS4.

I wiped it with a program called DBAN, formatted it on my new PC to exFAT because it wouldn't let me do FAT32, downloaded the clean install onto a drive, backed up my saves, swapped it, "Could not start PS4"; OK, initialize PS4, "CE-34788-0 This update file cannot be used."

Been getting this error time after time.

Tried forcing FAT32 format through DOS cmd prompts but failed after a while.

What am I doing wrong?

Popsickles

So GAF I'm having a bit trouble figuring.out how to get my old laptop HDD to work on my PS4.

This is the HDD, AFAIC everything checks out to work on the PS4.

I wiped it with a program called DBAN, formatted it on my new PC to exFAT because it wouldn't let me do FAT32, downloaded the clean install onto a drive, backed up my saves, swapped it, "Could not start PS4"; OK, initialize PS4, "CE-34788-0 This update file cannot be used."

Been getting this error time after time.

Tried forcing FAT32 format through DOS cmd prompts but failed after a while.

What am I doing wrong?
Make sure you are using the full firmware download (700ish meg) not the update (250ish meg)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Make sure you are using the full firmware download (700ish meg) not the update (250ish meg)

I'm pretty sure I clicked the proper link (the one beneath the PS4 > UPDATE > PS4UPDATE.PUP. But I'll check again.

DonMigs85

I ordered the 2TB Spinpoint. Samsung has a good track record for HDDs which hopefully wasn't tainted by Seagate.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does the trick where you copy the PS4 backup file to your PC then back again still work? I'm gonna use this same drive in an enclosure to back up the PS4, copy it to PC, put the drive in the PS4, then use the stock 500GB drive to restore the backup data.

Clott

Oh lord I hope someone can help, putting together my new PS4, I put in a 1TB SSD in there and am currently trying to install the OS.

I have tried 2 different USB sticks, formatted them both into EXFAT and 32, but the damn system just wont see my USB sticks. It simply tells me "The USB storage device is not connected".

I also made the root folder of PS4 -> UPDATE.

So if this is a USB stick issue, then what brands of stick actually work in the damn system?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I ordered the 2TB Spinpoint. Samsung has a good track record for HDDs which hopefully wasn't tainted by Seagate.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does the trick where you copy the PS4 backup file to your PC then back again still work? I'm gonna use this same drive in an enclosure to back up the PS4, copy it to PC, put the drive in the PS4, then use the stock 500GB drive to restore the backup data.

I never knew this was possible. Does anyone have a guide?

I'm running out of space of my 1TB Hybrid and am thinking of upgrading. I'm torn between:

1. Keeping with my 7200rpm 1TB Hybrid (I believe it started clicking the other day but has since stopped)
  2. 'Upgrading' to a 2TB (I think most are 5400rpm and not hybrid so I might have to put up with slower loading)
  3. 'Updgrade' to a 1TB SSD (there should never be clicking, I assume heat will be kept lower, but I won't have any extra space)

It's a dilemma, unfortunately I think 2TB SSDs are a bit too expensive at the moment. As much as I like having all my games available at the click of a button (I'm all digital). 80% I don't play regularly so I could probably live with downloading them as and when I need.

Ideally the PS4 would allow overspill or game specific backups onto an external HDD, so my core 1TB could be on the SSD and I could have others on a cheap HDD. But it doesn't.

To give context my download speeds are great but I'm capped to 200GB peak hour usage (again that might not be a problem), but last month I rebuilt my database and the PS4 downloaded every patch for every game I hadn't played recently, it cost me £20 in excess charges!!!!! (obviously they didn't implement the useful PS3 feature of being able to schedule update times). So you can see why I don't fancy re-downloading 1TB worth of data if it can be avoided.

What are your thoughts Gaf?

I got a deal on the Seagate 2tb external drive and stripped it and been using it for about a month.

Using it without issue but it beeps sometimes.

Googling says its to do with the HDD not getting enough power and a decent number of people on PS4 have the same issues. Dont know if its a faulty drive or what. It works fine but still... Its a but worrying.

Plus reading other people have bigger issues with that HDD a few months down the road makes me think I should maybe downgrade to a 1tb from a more reliable maker.

Is the 7200 RPM hgst drive louder then a 5400 drive? Not sure it will be a issue since a lot of games kick the PS4 fans into high gear these days but I am just curious.

I got a deal on the Seagate 2tb external drive and stripped it and been using it for about a month.

Googling says its to do with the HDD not getting enough power and a decent number of people on PS4 have the same issues. Dont know if its a faulty drive or what. It works fine but still... Its a but worrying.

Plus reading other people have bigger issues with that HDD a few months down the road makes me think I should maybe downgrade to a 1tb from a more reliable maker.

Is the 7200 RPM hgst drive louder then a 5400 drive? Not sure it will be a issue since a lot of games kick the PS4 fans into high gear these days but I am just curious.

Not to say "I told you so" to anyone about the Seagate drives, but I figured this would happen eventually. Seagate is known for failures and a 2TB that fits into that thin a shell means they did some weird shit to make it work. I know 2TB is really tempting, all things considered, but reliability is more important, IMO.

DonMigs85

Not to say "I told you so" to anyone about the Seagate drives, but I figured this would happen eventually. Seagate is known for failures and a 2TB that fits into that thin a shell means they did some weird shit to make it work. I know 2TB is really tempting, all things considered, but reliability is more important, IMO.

That's why I ordered the bare Samsung/Seagate 2TB drive from Amazon. I think the ones in external HDDs may have tweaks to the firmware or something, or maybe binned a bit differently.

I was half expecting it to crap out eventually but didn't expect it to go weird within a month. But I got it for €30. I though it would be worth the risk.

And there are probably posts in this very thread of me warning people against buying that drive for the very same reasons you mentioned. lol.

Lesson learned. Dont cheap out on your hard drives. Spend the extra few bucks.

I ordered the HGST 1tb 7k1000. Will be here before metal gear in time to spare.

Shaneus

Still think I'm going to get a 1TB hybrid. Or I wait until there's one of those funky adapters that let you use an external HDD with it, like they had with the PS3.

DonMigs85

Still think I'm going to get a 1TB hybrid. Or I wait until there's one of those funky adapters that let you use an external HDD with it, like they had with the PS3.

There's already this thing
emballage_nyko_data_bank_ps41.jpg

It does seem to slow the transfer rate down a bit though, but then you can use a massive 4TB drive.

Shaneus

There's already this thing
emballage_nyko_data_bank_ps41.jpg

It does seem to slow the transfer rate down a bit though, but then you can use a massive 4TB drive.
Ah, forgot about that! Interesting that rest mode doesn't work, though. But ATM I'm thinking it's worthless to get much more over 2TB, even then you're splitting hairs between the performance of a 1TB SSHD vs. storage of a 2TB.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
After owning a 1 Tb hybrid and a 2 tb 5400rpm drive, it really boils down to more speed or more space. Personally, I think the speed difference is pretty tangible but if you have a ton of games or are planning on owning a bunch of games go for the 2 Tb. 7200rpm drives make no sense to me. At best you'll match a hybrid.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I am caving in and buying a Destiny PS4 just because it is so beautiful.

Going to keep my original PS4 as well, (PT).

What's the best, biggest HDD I can get for my PS4, without getting into the crazy price ranges?

Don't mean to quote a month old post but mine recently started doing this. Is it really a issue or is it something the drive just does.

as i share games with my brother, im looking for bigger hdd as i go digital only on everygame most of the time, can someone recommand me good hdd with decent price? i really don't care about silly 10 second faster stuff or whatever just something that works better if not same as the current one in ps4 but do really want 2tb one.

price range - 60 to 90

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hate to bump this thread again, but checked Reddit and couldn't find a consensus on which 2TB HDD is the "Go to drive" for the PS4.

My Destiny PS4 is sitting at home unopened, not going to crack it open until it is time to install. So it's taunting me with its beauty. Thanks in advance.

LogicStep

Bumping this, I want to know if anyone has tried this.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69429669

I'm thinking on doing this and getting this 4tb sshd drive:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQH7MQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

With this cable:
Monoprice 18-Inch SATA Serial ATA Extension Cable, Black (107636) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E2XRPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And this enclosure:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065DUJ0C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've seen some bad reviews for the data bank saying it heats up the console so that's why I'm looking at a different one.

LogicStep

Anyone that has had this for a while care to chime in on the reliability and speed? As long as it's as fast or faster than stock I'm fine.

Samsung Seagate HN-M201RAD Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Was thinking on going with the data bank but screw that I rather just go with 2TB drive and go internal.

DonMigs85

Anyone that has had this for a while care to chime in on the reliability and speed? As long as it's as fast or faster than stock I'm fine.

Samsung Seagate HN-M201RAD Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Was thinking on going with the data bank but screw that I rather just go with 2TB drive and go internal.

I've been using this exact drive for the past 5 months and it's worked just fine. No slower than the original HDD at least.

amardilo

Anyone know if a 2TB 2.5 SSHD is in development or will be released soon by anyone?

I have a 1TB Seagate SSHD installed in my PS4 but with games with loads of DLC like Battlefield 4 I'm finding it hard to keep all the games I regularly play on the drive.

Dazza

Don't mean to quote a month old post but mine recently started doing this. Is it really a issue or is it something the drive just does.

Isn't this to do with the fact that external HDD always have their spin down time firmware flags set shorter than internal drives. I remember changing the flags on drive I put in my PS3, but I can't seem to find one for that 2tb seagate, unless it's part of seaTools

Hey guys,

I just purchased a new white 500GB PS4 (CUH-1206A). I read through this thread and a few others for research and reviews and decided on the HGST 1TB 7200RPM drive. I received it today and for some reason it doesn't seem to fit. The HDD protrudes a tiny bit in the tray and when I try to fit it back into the PS4 it hits the metal enclosure. I tried to my best to take a few pictures to show this (new drive on the left, old drive on the right).

Did they change something in the new PS4s so that the HGST can't fit? Maybe they sent me the wrong drive or I ordered the wrong one?

My invoice says it's the HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM SATA-III 32MB Cache (9.5mm) Internal Hard Drive.

Ioe9RwA.jpg

ImMmnjF.jpg

5PTevFV.jpg

LordOfChaos

So the PS4 and XBO don't benefit as much as one may expect from SSDs, and in the PS4s case there was this weird SATA II to USB internal bridge for the hard drive which may have limited SSD Gainz™ even more than the SATA II bus alone may have, even if USB can carry the full bandwidth it may be adding CPU overhead (and particularly if it's going accross that weaker than expected ARM chip handling IO that was apparently too weak to do standby downloads without the APU)

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps4/MB86C311B

So this may or may not have been the issue, and it may or may not have been removed in the 1200 model, or it may or may not have just been moved onto the southbridge.

So I've just been curious, did anyone test the CUH-1200s performance in here? Either with SSDs or without. Just curious if it benefits more from faster drives than older models were able to.

So the PS4 and XBO don't benefit as much as one may expect from SSDs, and in the PS4s case there was this weird SATA II to USB internal bridge for the hard drive which may have limited SSD Gainz™ even more than the SATA II bus alone may have, even if USB can carry the full bandwidth it may be adding CPU overhead (and particularly if it's going accross that weaker than expected ARM chip handling IO that was apparently too weak to do standby downloads without the APU)

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps4/MB86C311B

So this may or may not have been the issue, and it may or may not have been removed in the 1200 model, or it may or may not have just been moved onto the southbridge.

So I've just been curious, did anyone test the CUH-1200s performance in here? Either with SSDs or without. Just curious if it benefits more from faster drives than older models were able to.

I put a 500G Samsung Evo 850 in a 1200 Destiny model. It appears to have the same SSD load times as when I did the same with my launch model. I didn't actually time anything to be honest, but doesn't seem to have improved.

Moodz

I've been hesitating and reading reviews for 2 hours about a new hdd.
Can't decide between the HGST 1TB at 64€, the Seagate hybrid 1TB SSHD at 91€ and the Samsung/Seagate 2TB at 107€.
I fear 1TB won't be enough by the end of the year, but who knows? And I can always delete shit...
And I fear of the reliability of Seagate, not enough reviews are mentioning if they are using them for more than 6 months...

I'm horrible and always hesitating for shit like that.
GAF please help!

Top Bottom